IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Is it your nature to change or to remain unchanging

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The Teachings of BhagavanSri Ramana Maharshiin His Own WordsCHAPTER ONERELIGIONSSometimes his answers were cryptic and epigrammatical. Thesame universal truth is to be found in them; their rather pricklyform may reflect the aggressive manner of the questioner.Questioner: What is the best of all religions? What is Bhagavan'smethod?Bhagavan: All methods and religions are the same.Q.: But different methods are taught for attainingliberation.B.: Why should you be liberated? Why not remain as youare now?Q.: I want to get rid of pain. To be rid of pain is said to beliberation.B.: That is what all Religions teach.Q.: But what is the method?B.: Go back the way you came.*Q.: Where did I come from?B.: That is just what you have to find out. Did thesequestions arise when you were asleep? And yet you existed then.Were you not the same person?Q.: Yes, I existed in sleep. So did the mind. But the senseshad merged so that I could not speak.B.: Are you the individual? Are you the mind? Did themind announce itself to you when you were asleep?Q.: No. But the authorities say that the individuality isdifferent from God.B.: Never mind about God; speak for yourself.Q.: What about myself? Who am I?B.: That is just what you have to find out. Then you willknow everything. If you do not, it will be time enough to ask then.Q.: When I wake, I see the world and I am not changed at all.B.: But you do not know this when asleep. And yet youexist in both states. Who has changed now? Is it your nature tochange or to remain unchanging?Q.: What is the proof?B.: Does one require proof of one's own being? Onlyremain aware of yourself and all else will be known.Q.: Why then do the dualists and non-dualists quarrelamong themselves?B.: If each would attend to his own business (of seekingRealisation) there would be no quarrel. 1* Cf. Christ's injunction to return to the mother's womb and be born again.1 Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, 479.