IndiaDivine.org

Fw: grammar or truth?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Nah, you need a personal tutour, now where could you get one of those, now let me see...................... The Valley Vegan.................earthstrm <earthstorm wrote: Hi VV,I use to think so too, but it just does not seem that way.I would love to learn Wenglish! Do you have an informercial where I could buy it for just 10 easy payments ot $25.99 plus shipping and handling?Nikki , peter VV wrote:>> Cmon Nikki, I`m sure its just kidding around? maybe I can get you americans to speak Wenglish, no that would upset Peter even more?> > The Valley Vegan.................> > earthstrm wrote:> Hi Peter> > Do you really find it that

difficult? Seems to me that countries > have been finding ways to communicate with each other for centuries. > For us it should be all that much easier.> > And then for anything not understood, a little patience and > understanding can go a long way. We may not speak as proper as the > English do, but then again, we are another country and some of it is > proper to us. And yes, we do have some that are more illiterate than > others, but I am sure that you have your sort too.> > Plus you have to take into account the fact that many people here > are from other countries and their languages/slangs/sayings blend > into ours. Which I take as a good thing.> > No offense to either you or Jo because I do love you both dearly, > but it tends to wear on a person after awhile when it feels like two > friends are looking down their noses at you for the way

that you > speak. Especially when they are two very open minded, accepting > friends.> > Kidding around is one thing and I am guilty as the next for doing > this. But this subject tends to continually come across differently.> > And I only say something because as a friend, I feel I should to be > fair.> > Or perhaps I am the only one who feels this way and perhaps this is > another thread that I should start ignoring. If so, I shall.> > BB> Nikki > >

Guest guest

I enjoyed its scary quirkyness, and even went to the pictures to see the film. The Valley Vegan................jo <jo.heartwork wrote: I saw only one episode of Twin Peaks, and it was weird. I have been waiting for them to have repeats, but none yet. Jo - fraggle Tuesday, July 11, 2006 9:28 PM Re: Fw: grammar or truth? hey, you designed this bloody language! you can't get all hopped up on one way when you think its being misused, when the rest of it makes as much sense as an episode of Twin peaks Peter Jul 11, 2006 1:20 PM Re: Fw: grammar or truth? Hi Fraggle >we are talking about healthy and heathful >tis there anything in those that hint that somehow either word means "eye gouging poison"? Is there any reason to suppose that the word ex-terminate is not the opposite of terminate? Or that in-flammable is not the opposite of flammable? Or perhaps that in-sane is the same as sane? Since when did similarity in word sounds mean anything at all? BB PeterDefending this corruption on which you are sat You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that `Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used In your defence of liberty I always stand accused Peter H

Copy addresses and emails from any email account to Mail - quick, easy and free. Do it now...

Guest guest

Woooooo, dooo ewe cum earrr oftun ? Luvly giurl? The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: I like Welsh accents. Jo - peter VV Tuesday, July 11, 2006 8:38 PM Re: Re: Fw: grammar or truth? Cmon Nikki, I`m sure its just kidding around? maybe I can get you americans to speak Wenglish, no that would upset Peter even more? The Valley Vegan.................earthstrm <earthstorm wrote: Hi PeterDo you really find it that difficult? Seems to me that countries have been finding ways to communicate with each other for centuries. For us it should be all that much easier.And then for anything not understood, a little patience and understanding can

go a long way. We may not speak as proper as the English do, but then again, we are another country and some of it is proper to us. And yes, we do have some that are more illiterate than others, but I am sure that you have your sort too.Plus you have to take into account the fact that many people here are from other countries and their languages/slangs/sayings blend into ours. Which I take as a good thing.No offense to either you or Jo because I do love you both dearly, but it tends to wear on a person after awhile when it feels like two friends are looking down their noses at you for the way that you speak. Especially when they are two very open minded, accepting friends.Kidding around is one thing and I am guilty as the next for doing this. But this subject tends to continually come across differently.And I only say something because as a friend, I feel I should to be fair.Or perhaps I am

the only one who feels this way and perhaps this is another thread that I should start ignoring. If so, I shall.BBNikki , "Peter Kebbell" wrote:>> Hi Fraggle> > You know - it does make me wonder just how much longer it will be until> American English is so different to English English that we'll no longer be> able to understand each other! Seems so odd in a world where technology is> breaking down all sorts of communication barriers....> > BB> Peter> > > > > The American Heritage® Book of English Usage. A Practical and> > Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English. 1996.> >> > 3. Word Choice: New Uses, Common Confusion, and Constraints> >> > § 156. *healthy / healthful* Some people like to maintain a distinction>

> between *healthy* and *healthful. Healthy,* they say, should be used to> > mean "possessing good health," and only *healthful* should mean "conducive> > to good health." People who hold this view are swimming against the tide of> > history, for *healthy* has been used to mean "healthful" since the 16th> > century. You can find the "healthful" use of *healthy* in the works of> > many distinguished writers, with this example from John Locke being typical:> > *"Gardening … and working in wood, are fit and healthy recreations for a> > man of study or business."* Therefore, both *healthy* and *healthful* are> > correct in these contexts: *a healthy climate, a healthful climate; a> > healthful diet, a healthy diet.* * 1*> >> >> >> > The American Heritage® Book of English Usage. Copyright © 1996

by> > Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.> >> >> > > > fraggle> > Jul 10, 2006 1:23 PM> > > > Re: Fw: grammar or truth?> >> > oh peter peter peter> > you sure you weren't a minor grammar Deity in a past life?> > Grammaritus, god of Thessalian teachers.....> >> >> >> >> > > > Peter> > Jul 10, 2006 1:14 PM> > > > Re: Fw: Perception or truth?> >> > Hi Fraggle> >> > >as People Seek a More Healthful Lifestyle> >> > OK, I just have to say it... "Healthful"???????? What the heck happened to> > the perfectly

good "healthy"?> >> > BB> > Peter> >> > Defending this corruption on which you are sat> > You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that> > `Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used> > In your defence of liberty I always stand accused> >> > > >> > Defending this corruption on which you are sat> > You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that> > `Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used> > In your defence of liberty I always stand accused> >> >>

Guest guest

LOL - calm down now.

Jo

-

peter VV

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 7:27 PM

Re: Re: Fw: grammar or truth?

Woooooo, dooo ewe cum earrr oftun ? Luvly giurl?

The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

I like Welsh accents.

Jo

-

peter VV

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 8:38 PM

Re: Re: Fw: grammar or truth?

Cmon Nikki, I`m sure its just kidding around? maybe I can get you americans to speak Wenglish, no that would upset Peter even more?

The Valley Vegan.................earthstrm <earthstorm wrote:

Hi PeterDo you really find it that difficult? Seems to me that countries have been finding ways to communicate with each other for centuries. For us it should be all that much easier.And then for anything not understood, a little patience and understanding can go a long way. We may not speak as proper as the English do, but then again, we are another country and some of it is proper to us. And yes, we do have some that are more illiterate than others, but I am sure that you have your sort too.Plus you have to take into account the fact that many people here are from other countries and their languages/slangs/sayings blend into ours. Which I take as a good thing.No offense to either you or Jo because I do love you both dearly, but it tends to wear on a person after awhile when it feels like two friends are looking down their noses at you for the way that you speak. Especially when they are two very open minded, accepting friends.Kidding around is one thing and I am guilty as the next for doing this. But this subject tends to continually come across differently.And I only say something because as a friend, I feel I should to be fair.Or perhaps I am the only one who feels this way and perhaps this is another thread that I should start ignoring. If so, I shall.BBNikki , "Peter Kebbell" wrote:>> Hi Fraggle> > You know - it does make me wonder just how much longer it will be until> American English is so different to English English that we'll no longer be> able to understand each other! Seems so odd in a world where technology is> breaking down all sorts of communication barriers....> > BB> Peter> > > > > The American Heritage® Book of English Usage. A Practical and> > Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English. 1996.> >> > 3. Word Choice: New Uses, Common Confusion, and Constraints> >> > § 156. *healthy / healthful* Some people like to maintain a distinction> > between *healthy* and *healthful. Healthy,* they say, should be used to> > mean "possessing good health," and only *healthful* should mean "conducive> > to good health." People who hold this view are swimming against the tide of> > history, for *healthy* has been used to mean "healthful" since the 16th> > century. You can find the "healthful" use of *healthy* in the works of> > many distinguished writers, with this example from John Locke being typical:> > *"Gardening … and working in wood, are fit and healthy recreations for a> > man of study or business."* Therefore, both *healthy* and *healthful* are> > correct in these contexts: *a healthy climate, a healthful climate; a> > healthful diet, a healthy diet.* * 1*> >> >> >> > The American Heritage® Book of English Usage. Copyright © 1996 by> > Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.> >> >> > > > fraggle> > Jul 10, 2006 1:23 PM> > > > Re: Fw: grammar or truth?> >> > oh peter peter peter> > you sure you weren't a minor grammar Deity in a past life?> > Grammaritus, god of Thessalian teachers.....> >> >> >> >> > > > Peter> > Jul 10, 2006 1:14 PM> > > > Re: Fw: Perception or truth?> >> > Hi Fraggle> >> > >as People Seek a More Healthful Lifestyle> >> > OK, I just have to say it... "Healthful"???????? What the heck happened to> > the perfectly good "healthy"?> >> > BB> > Peter> >> > Defending this corruption on which you are sat> > You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that> > `Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used> > In your defence of liberty I always stand accused> >> > > >> > Defending this corruption on which you are sat> > You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that> > `Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used> > In your defence of liberty I always stand accused> >> >>

Guest guest

Hi Peter

I didn't know it was a film as well. How did it compare with the series - I believe the series was quite long. If you think it's good I might get it on video/dvd to watch.

Jo

-

peter VV

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 7:22 PM

Re: Fw: grammar or truth?

I enjoyed its scary quirkyness, and even went to the pictures to see the film.

The Valley Vegan................jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

I saw only one episode of Twin Peaks, and it was weird. I have been waiting for them to have repeats, but none yet.

Jo

-

fraggle

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 9:28 PM

Re: Fw: grammar or truth?

hey, you designed this bloody language!

you can't get all hopped up on one way when you think its being misused, when the rest of it makes as much sense as an episode of Twin peaks

Peter Jul 11, 2006 1:20 PM Re: Fw: grammar or truth?

Hi Fraggle

>we are talking about healthy and heathful

>tis there anything in those that hint that somehow either word means "eye gouging poison"?

Is there any reason to suppose that the word ex-terminate is not the opposite of terminate? Or that in-flammable is not the opposite of flammable? Or perhaps that in-sane is the same as sane?

Since when did similarity in word sounds mean anything at all?

BB

PeterDefending this corruption on which you are sat You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that `Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used In your defence of liberty I always stand accused

Peter H

Copy addresses and emails from any email account to Mail - quick, easy and free. Do it now...

Guest guest

Nah surely it would be Luuuvly Guurrrrl? The Valley Vegan............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >Woooooo, dooo ewe cum earrr oftun ? Luvly giurl? So what's with the Somerset accent? ;-) BB Peter Peter H