IndiaDivine.org

Washing powder problem - info needed

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

They are groundbreaking. I remember a few years ago they bucked the trend by using authentic, unretouched photographs of the food "inside" the packets of their ready to cook range, i.e. they took a packet, cooked it, photographed it and used that photo on the packets of all the others; so if you do use the Co-op and see an oven ready meal, that's exactly what you'll get.

Grahamgothcatz <gothcatz wrote:

Co-op seems a pretty ethical supermarket, definitely better than others. They seem to have good policies, like fair trade as well as vegan stuff. Though I have seen a label on some of their eggs saying 'these eggs are from caged hens'. Well, at least they're honest!Graham LucasThe Fabulous Fezheads, an Oasis in the Desert of the Webhttp://www.Fezheads.comEveryone makes mistakes; that's why they put rubbers on the ends of pencils

Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now

Guest guest

Paul,

Not sure who owns them, but they carry the vegan society logo (uk), and are enviromentally friendlier than a lot of other washing powder products. If anyone knows anything about the parent company of Ecover please let me know....

The Valley Vegan....Paul Russell <prussell wrote:

On Apr 27, 2004, at 9:59 AM, peter hurd wrote:> I generally use Ecover Non Biological liquid, it is very mild, but > only recommended for up to a 60 degrees wash.Otherwise I use their > non-biological powder, which doesnt contain some of the nasties that > other powders use.> The Valley Vegan>>Isn't Ecover owned by some nasty company these days, like Group 4 ? They sold out about 10 years ago I think. And I seem to remember that a lot of their products are not even vegan, or maybe that has changed ?Paul

Guest guest

One of the two types of washing up liquids is vegan, the other is not. What have Group 4 done? Do I have to take them to task over something despite owning a subsidiary that produces vegan , enviromentally sound products? I would hate to discourage anyone producing this type of product unless there was good reason. Other vegan household products from other companies seem very expensive.

The Valley Vegan....

The Valley Vegan.....Paul Russell <prussell wrote:

On Apr 27, 2004, at 10:58 AM, Paul Russell wrote:> On Apr 27, 2004, at 9:59 AM, peter hurd wrote:>>> I generally use Ecover Non Biological liquid, it is very mild, but>> only recommended for up to a 60 degrees wash.Otherwise I use their>> non-biological powder, which doesnt contain some of the nasties that>> other powders use.>> The Valley Vegan>>>>>> Isn't Ecover owned by some nasty company these days, like Group 4 ?> They sold out about 10 years ago I think. And I seem to remember that a> lot of their products are not even vegan, or maybe that has changed ?>>I just did a little Googling on Ecover - they were indeed taken over by Group 4 in 1992.It seems only their biggest selling product - the washing up liquid - contains

whey. Everything else is vegan.Paul

Guest guest

Paul,

Thanks for the info on Group 4 . It is certainly thought provoking stuff, and I do not condone their behaviour.I am not going to change from Ecover products.Personal decision, my conciense, my wallet, at the end of the day, unless I can find a comparative product for the same price. ( Ecological/Vegan washing powder & washing up liquid ) Any suggestions?>>

The Valley Vegan....Paul Russell <prussell wrote:

On Apr 27, 2004, at 11:17 AM, gothcatz wrote:> Excuse my ignorance, but what's Group 4?!>>They are an obnoxious security company who somehow managed to get the contract to run the UK's privatised prison system among other things (backhanders to the Tories, allegedly). They have fingers in all sorts of pies. Here is some info from CorporateWatch: .Paul

Guest guest

I agree, a lot of their products are vegan. I just wish I had a branch near me!

Just a reminder to everyone ( in the UK ), a lot of you are sending off to supermarkets etc for info on their products and their suitability for vegans. The Animal Free Shopper on-line is an invaluable asset in findout quickly if something is vegan. You can search by company, type of product, anything , and its free! all you have to do is set yourself up and your ready to go.

http://www.animalfreeshopper.com/html/

The Valley Vegan........

Ellie Mayson <ellie2002 wrote:

Co-op has excellent labelling on their products, all their vegan foodstuffs are marked as vegan, not just vegetarian. The powder is marked as no animal ingredients (or was the last time I looked) and marked as not tested on animals plus most of their household products that I can think of are BUAV approved. I rang Co-op and asked for their vegan list - it was like a small telephone directory dropping through the letter box - best supermarket listing I know. Ellie , Leonor Gomes wrote:> I just noticed the CO-OP washing up liquid has no> animal ingredients. Didn't check the washing power.> They're not a vegan company, but isn't it good if> regular companies introduce vegan products?> > Leo> > > > > >

__________> Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" > your friends today! Download Messenger Now > http://uk.messenger./download/index.html

Guest guest

There's a washing up liquid called Eco Lino, a weird name I know, but they seem

to be good and everything of theirs is vegan. I've seen it in co-op, planet

organic in London and Waitrose I think. The website

is http://www.ecolino.be/uk/index_uk.htm

>Thanks for the info on Group 4 . It is certainly thought provoking >stuff, and

I do not condone their behaviour.I am not going to change >from Ecover

products.Personal decision, my conciense, my wallet, at >the end of the day,

unless I can find a comparative product for the >same price. ( Ecological/Vegan

washing powder & washing up liquid ) >Any suggestions?

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.

Make My Way your home on the Web - http://www.myway.com

Guest guest

Thanks for the suggestion, tried the web site , only came up with the name of one stockist in the UK?!?!!? not very convenient realy! The jury is still out. I will await the outcome on the Ecover ownership, and alternative products before I decide.

The Valley Vegan......Elizabeth Beesley <elizabeth_beesley wrote:

There's a washing up liquid called Eco Lino, a weird name I know, but they seem to be good and everything of theirs is vegan. I've seen it in co-op, planet organic in London and Waitrose I think. The websiteis http://www.ecolino.be/uk/index_uk.htm>Thanks for the info on Group 4 . It is certainly thought provoking >stuff, and I do not condone their behaviour.I am not going to change >from Ecover products.Personal decision, my conciense, my wallet, at >the end of the day, unless I can find a comparative product for the >same price. ( Ecological/Vegan washing powder & washing up liquid ) >Any suggestions?_____________No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.Make My Way your home on the Web - http://www.myway.com

Guest guest

On May 1, 2004, at 5:59 AM, peter hurd wrote:

> Paul,

> Thanks for the info on Group 4 . It is certainly thought provoking

> stuff, and I do not condone their behaviour.

> I am not going to change from Ecover products.Personal decision, my

> conciense, my wallet, at the end of the day, unless I can find a

> comparative product for the same price. ( Ecological/Vegan washing

> powder & washing up liquid ) Any suggestions?>>

>

Hi Peter -

I don't know if you followed the whole thread on Ecover and Group 4,

but it seems that while Group 4 did own Ecover for some years, this

doesn't seem to be the case any more (apparently they bought Ecover in

1992 and it's not clear when they sold them).

Ethical Consumer seems to have given them the thumbs up recently, so

that's good enough for me.

Apologies for any confusion I might have caused with out of date

information.

Paul

Guest guest

Um, I know it says it has only one stockist, but I did say I'd seen it at other

places including a supermarket... I think it means distributer, not stockist.

Thanks for the suggestion, tried the web site , only came up with the name of

one stockist in the UK?!?!!? not very convenient realy! The jury is still out. I

will await the outcome on the Ecover ownership, and alternative products before

I decide

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.

Make My Way your home on the Web - http://www.myway.com

Guest guest

Hi Ellie,

> That would be great if you could find out more John

Not good news I'm afraid...Apparently they only meant you had to use less

powder/liquid not none at all, and, well, didn't actually work very well.

Sorry about that,

John

-

" Ellie Mayson " <ellie2002

Tuesday, April 27, 2004 3:38 AM

Re: Washing powder problem - info needed

> That would be great if you could find out more John

>

> Thanks

>

> Ellie

>

>

>

> , " John Davis " <mcxg46@d...> wrote:

> > Hi,

> >

> > I don't know much about these other than a couple of my friends

> who have

> > skin problems use them, but they put these plastic-ufo-type

> objects in their

> > washing machine instead of powder.

> >

> > Hmm. Which probably isn't a particularly helpful description, but

> I could

> > find out more when they get back from holiday later this week if

> you are

> > interested.

> >

> > John

> > -

> > " Ellie Mayson " <ellie2002@b...>

> >

> > Sunday, April 25, 2004 2:59 AM

> > Washing powder problem - info needed

> ~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,

> there may be another side to the story you have not heard.

> ---------------------------

> Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>

> Un: send a blank message to -

>

Guest guest

If I see it in any of my local supermarkets, and as the phrase goes "The Price Is Right", then I will give it a whirl.............

The Valley Vegan...Elizabeth Beesley <elizabeth_beesley wrote:

Um, I know it says it has only one stockist, but I did say I'd seen it at other places including a supermarket... I think it means distributer, not stockist.Thanks for the suggestion, tried the web site , only came up with the name of one stockist in the UK?!?!!? not very convenient realy! The jury is still out. I will await the outcome on the Ecover ownership, and alternative products before I decide_____________No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.Make My Way your home on the Web - http://www.myway.com

Guest guest

Paul,

Thanks for that, they really are good products ( the vegan ones), and its so hard to find alternatives that fit the category of enviromentally safe/vegan and ethical these days. I appreciate you checking that out. Incidentally, I read in the papers this weekend that out of the three people accused in the trial, two have left Group 4 and the remaining one has been disciplined ( still can`t spell).

All The Best,

The Valley Vegan.....Paul Russell <prussell wrote:

On May 1, 2004, at 5:59 AM, peter hurd wrote:> Paul,> Thanks for the info on Group 4 . It is certainly thought provoking > stuff, and I do not condone their behaviour.> I am not going to change from Ecover products.Personal decision, my > conciense, my wallet, at the end of the day, unless I can find a > comparative product for the same price. ( Ecological/Vegan washing > powder & washing up liquid ) Any suggestions?>>>Hi Peter -I don't know if you followed the whole thread on Ecover and Group 4, but it seems that while Group 4 did own Ecover for some years, this doesn't seem to be the case any more (apparently they bought Ecover in 1992 and it's not clear when they sold them).Ethical Consumer seems to have given them the thumbs up recently, so that's good enough for

me.Apologies for any confusion I might have caused with out of date information.Paul