Guest guest

Vertical Ridges on Fingernails

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi

Over the last few months my mum has developed marked vertical ridges

on her fingernails... I've heard it may be due to various different

things, but as she suffers from heart burn, wonder if it might be

worth looking at this, or at HCl levels?

She is a young 55 (I know it is quite common in elderly people?) and

the nails are also very dry and brittle. She is more interested in

the cosmetic aspect but I think it would be good to look at the cause.

Any ideas much appreciated, thanks.

Guest guest

Hello!

I have read that Vertical ridges mean - protein is an

issue, either it is not getting absorbed properly or

there is not enough ingested, or it could be some

other disorder associated with protein. Vertical

ridges also could mean the person is anemic or has

poor circulation. Horizontal ridges are also

associated with protein issues, and then menstrual

troubles.

If the nails are thin and brittle it could mean

anemia, Iron and Vit C deficency. White spots are

zinc.

Hope this helps!

--- tunkashela <christelle

wrote:

> Hi

>

> Over the last few months my mum has developed marked

> vertical ridges

> on her fingernails... I've heard it may be due to

> various different

> things, but as she suffers from heart burn, wonder

> if it might be

> worth looking at this, or at HCl levels?

>

> She is a young 55 (I know it is quite common in

> elderly people?) and

> the nails are also very dry and brittle. She is

> more interested in

> the cosmetic aspect but I think it would be good to

> look at the cause.

>

> Any ideas much appreciated, thanks.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

According to

"Dr. Chi's Guide to Fingernail Diagnosis"

Tsu-Tsair Chi N.M.D, Ph.D

It states on page 31 thru 34

Ridges, bumps and white spots on the fingernail point to several potential problems in areas such as the adrenal glands, the liver, kidney, the endocrine hormones, etc, and can locate problems such as arthritis, parasites, and respiratory diseases. Unlike popular belief, these spots and ridges are not all caused by simple zinc or calcium deficiency, which is what most people tend to ascribe the apearance. Unfortunately, many of these patients who are prescribed zinc or calcium supplements for their condition see no improvement even after prolonged usage of the minerals. Zinc has been shown to be good for fertility, but white marks on the nail are a type of disorder that requires more comprehensive coverage of the excretory system as well.

A person with vague vertical or horizontal ridges need not worry. Such markings are perfectly normal and commonly seen in patients over the age of forty. These ridges, especially if they are on the thumbs, can often be attributed to kidney problems. However, if the vertical or horizontal ridges are blantantly noticeable, then this patient may be suffering from an illness and the ridges are symtoms of the disease.

Vertical ridges that cover most of the fingernails refer to kidney, aging(hormone), nerve or respiratory system problems. These ridges are frequently seen in elders, but this does not imply that they are a natural part of the aging process. Proper health care can prevent these ridges from forming. If the certical ridges appear only on the thumbs then they refer to excretory system conditions. Ridges that are on only the four fingers except for the thumb are due to respiratory problems. An entire nail covered with vertical ridges could be caused by trauma sustained by the patient, either recently or as early as within the last year. If the ridges are very conspicuous, then the patient may be suffering from peripheral blockage, particular yeast or fungus infection, or a hair follicle corneum.

A person with vertical lines across the faces of his nail could also suffer from Vitaim A deficiency or a chronic inflammation.

If the naiils have vertical ridges that can be very easily split down the middle, this could be due to adrenal gland problems.

For those under the age of forty, vertical ridges definitely indicate problems as imbalance in the five elements system. These types are usually chronically fatigued, nervous, and suffer neurasthenai. young people also suffer bronchitis, asthma, or laryngitis. In these people, ridges on the thumb signal spleen and heart problems and may be related to depression. Those on the index finger signal unhappiness in the patient, while middle finger ridges show nervousness and hyperactivity. Vertical ridges on the ring finger signal the possiblity that the patient is heartbroken or suffering emotional trauma, while those on the pinky nail show long time stress and the overexertion of energy leading to liver and kidney damage.

Horizontal ridges??

Horisontal ridges on the nails are typically due to poor blood circulation or poor growth and development, or a consequence of stress and sudden changes indiet.

Horizontal ridges may be caused by anemia, irregular kidney function, kidney failure, lupus, or be the effects of chemotherapy. Raditaion therapy and excessive drug-use, both prescription and illicit, will affect kidney function and result in anomalies. Markings will show these to also be effects that come along with disorders that result in connective tissue cell differentiation and nutrient absorption deviations. If one is dieting, these markings will be caused by malnourishment. Horizontal lines across the nails could also signify that the person either suffers from measles, or mumps. If the nails are covered with numerous horizontal lines and with bumps like a washboard, then the patient may be suffering from a matrix/cuticle inflammation, or matrix damage.

Hope that helps,

Marlene

Guest guest

Gelatin should do the trick here, I take it daily, and my nails grow

like crazy, although I still have vertical ridges.

-- In herbal remedies , " tunkashela " <christelle

wrote:

>

> Hi

>

> Over the last few months my mum has developed marked vertical ridges

> on her fingernails... I've heard it may be due to various different

> things, but as she suffers from heart burn, wonder if it might be

> worth looking at this, or at HCl levels?

>

> She is a young 55 (I know it is quite common in elderly people?) and

> the nails are also very dry and brittle. She is more interested in

> the cosmetic aspect but I think it would be good to look at the cause.

>

> Any ideas much appreciated, thanks.

>

Guest guest

Hi all...

I'm new to this group and wanted to say it's great to find a group like this :)

I am a liscensed nail technician and you are very correct in what you had stated :)

Also to note, vertical lines is also associated with aging... i see a lot of women with this problem....

White spots are also caused by bumping or damaging your Matrix or live nail which is directly behind your cuticle area of your nail... where the white half moon is... on your finger..... your nail actually grows from that point...

just my 2 cents :)

Julie

-

J johns

herbal remedies

Monday, March 13, 2006 10:50 AM

Re: Herbal Remedies - Vertical Ridges on Fingernails

Hello!I have read that Vertical ridges mean - protein is anissue, either it is not getting absorbed properly orthere is not enough ingested, or it could be someother disorder associated with protein. Verticalridges also could mean the person is anemic or haspoor circulation. Horizontal ridges are alsoassociated with protein issues, and then menstrualtroubles. If the nails are thin and brittle it could meananemia, Iron and Vit C deficency. White spots arezinc. Hope this helps!--- tunkashela <christellewrote:> Hi > > Over the last few months my mum has developed marked> vertical ridges > on her fingernails... I've heard it may be due to> various different > things, but as she suffers from heart burn, wonder> if it might be > worth looking at this, or at HCl levels?> > She is a young 55 (I know it is quite common in> elderly people?) and > the nails are also very dry and brittle. She is> more interested in > the cosmetic aspect but I think it would be good to> look at the cause.> > Any ideas much appreciated, thanks.> > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Thank you, thank you, I have ridges on a few of my fingernails. I was told that it was lack of certain minerals, when I took the minerals the ridges did not go away, now I understand way. I believe in Chinese traditional medicine. I am going to have some tests done to see what is going on in my body. Thanks again, Megan MarleneLawson wrote: According to "Dr. Chi's Guide to Fingernail Diagnosis" Tsu-Tsair Chi N.M.D, Ph.D It states on page 31 thru 34 Ridges, bumps and white spots on the fingernail point to several potential problems

in areas such as the adrenal glands, the liver, kidney, the endocrine hormones, etc, and can locate problems such as arthritis, parasites, and respiratory diseases. Unlike popular belief, these spots and ridges are not all caused by simple zinc or calcium deficiency, which is what most people tend to ascribe the apearance. Unfortunately, many of these patients who are prescribed zinc or calcium supplements for their condition see no improvement even after prolonged usage of the minerals. Zinc has been shown to be good for fertility, but white marks on the nail are a type of disorder that requires more comprehensive coverage of the excretory system as well. A person with vague vertical or horizontal ridges need not worry. Such markings are perfectly normal and commonly seen in patients over the age of forty. These ridges, especially if they are on the thumbs, can often be attributed to

kidney problems. However, if the vertical or horizontal ridges are blantantly noticeable, then this patient may be suffering from an illness and the ridges are symtoms of the disease. Vertical ridges that cover most of the fingernails refer to kidney, aging(hormone), nerve or respiratory system problems. These ridges are frequently seen in elders, but this does not imply that they are a natural part of the aging process. Proper health care can prevent these ridges from forming. If the certical ridges appear only on the thumbs then they refer to excretory system conditions. Ridges that are on only the four fingers except for the thumb are due to respiratory problems. An entire nail covered with vertical ridges could be caused by trauma sustained by the patient, either recently or as early as within the last year. If the ridges are very conspicuous, then the patient may be

suffering from peripheral blockage, particular yeast or fungus infection, or a hair follicle corneum. A person with vertical lines across the faces of his nail could also suffer from Vitaim A deficiency or a chronic inflammation. If the naiils have vertical ridges that can be very easily split down the middle, this could be due to adrenal gland problems. For those under the age of forty, vertical ridges definitely indicate problems as imbalance in the five elements system. These types are usually chronically fatigued, nervous, and suffer neurasthenai. young people also suffer bronchitis, asthma, or laryngitis. In these people, ridges on the thumb signal spleen and heart problems and may be related to depression. Those on the index finger signal unhappiness in the patient, while middle finger ridges show

nervousness and hyperactivity. Vertical ridges on the ring finger signal the possiblity that the patient is heartbroken or suffering emotional trauma, while those on the pinky nail show long time stress and the overexertion of energy leading to liver and kidney damage. Horizontal ridges?? Horisontal ridges on the nails are typically due to poor blood circulation or poor growth and development, or a consequence of stress and sudden changes indiet. Horizontal ridges may be caused by anemia, irregular kidney function, kidney failure, lupus, or be the effects of chemotherapy. Raditaion therapy and excessive drug-use, both prescription and illicit, will affect kidney function and result in anomalies. Markings will show these to also be effects that come along with disorders that result in connective tissue

cell differentiation and nutrient absorption deviations. If one is dieting, these markings will be caused by malnourishment. Horizontal lines across the nails could also signify that the person either suffers from measles, or mumps. If the nails are covered with numerous horizontal lines and with bumps like a washboard, then the patient may be suffering from a matrix/cuticle inflammation, or matrix damage. Hope that helps, Marlene "Do not judge others - you do not know their soul contract." Matthew Ward.

Make free worldwide PC-to-PC calls. Try the new Canada Messenger with Voice