IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

to Dan about Sanskrit

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Dan ~ I understand what you mean when you say reading the English along with the Sanskrit transliterations deepens your understanding. I've always done it that way, which is probably why I am always behind the group whenever we do a group project like reading the Chandi in a certain number of days. :::sigh:::

I love it if we could do this, but I'm afraid it is a big project, maybe too big. I have tried to learn Sanskrit and failed. The books just don't explain it well enough so that it makes sense, and I've never been able to afford the course of study offered by the Sanskrit Institute. I love it when Swamiji takes a short passage and explains the meaning of each syllable. Each syllable! Each syllable has meaning, not to mention whole words. Hope your desire leads to something. Jai Maa Jai Swamiji

~ Linda

Dan wrote:

namaste all, this weekend after a wonderful Mahashivaratri i began to read the english along with the sanskrit and wow! it has really been helping me get so deep in the bhava in a way i didnt even realize was missing! i am wondering if we can maybe take up a project to connect all of the words in english to the transliterations. we can start with a particular sloka, maybe athargala stotram since there is the nice refrain and it is short. i have many missing words that i am not sure of what they mean. but im sure i can fill in the gaps in places and others can too. if we share what we have we can do it! let me know if there is interest and capacity for a project like this? it would be a great thing to post on the website too. but aside from that i have some questions, hoping they can be answered by someone who can fill in some particular gaps. it is from the chandi path in the athargala stotram page 77 verse 18

Guest guest

I do the same thing, most of the time, unless I am doing a long puja or a sahasranama where I just do not have the time required to read both English and Sanskrit. It is very important that I get some understanding of the meaning, although I do accept the idea that even the sounds of Sanskrit set up a certain "aura" in which my consciousness changes and in which Divine Mother responds to me. So, while I do want to know the meaning, I do not worry if I do not get it completely. Even if I understood Sanskrit completely so many concepts, attitudes and actions are embodied in the text one after another in the Chandi and the pujas, I will never consciously get the meaning of every one of them as I read or recite. However, on an unconscious level I am sure I am slowly imbibing them like food and drink. Jai Maa! As

Swamiji says, Don't worry about anything!

Kumari (Joan Creed)

[www.ShreeMaa.org] Re: to Dan about SanskritTuesday, February 16, 2010 6:16 AM"nierika" <nierika Dear Dan ~ I understand what you mean when you say reading the English along with the Sanskrit transliterations deepens your understanding. I've always done it that way, which is probably why I am always behind the group whenever we do a group project like reading the Chandi in a certain number of days. :::sigh::: I love it if we could do this, but I'm afraid it is a big project, maybe too big. I have tried to learn Sanskrit and failed. The books just don't explain it well enough so that it makes sense, and I've never been able to afford the course of study offered by the Sanskrit Institute. I love it when Swamiji takes a short passage and explains the meaning of each syllable. Each syllable! Each syllable has meaning, not to mention whole words. Hope

your desire leads to something. Jai Maa Jai Swamiji~ Linda Dan wrote:namaste all, this weekend after a wonderful Mahashivaratri i began to read the english along with the sanskrit and wow! it has really been helping me get so deep in the bhava in a way i didnt even realize was missing! i am wondering if we can maybe take up a project to connect all of the words in english to the transliterations. we can start with a particular sloka, maybe athargala stotram since there is the nice refrain and it is short. i have many missing words that i am not sure of what they mean. but im sure i can fill in the gaps in places and others can too. if we share what we have we can do it! let me know if there is interest and capacity for a project like this? it would be a great thing to post on the website too. but aside from that i have some questions, hoping they can be answered by someone who can fill in some particular gaps. it

is from the chandi path in the athargala stotram page 77 verse 18Go to Previous message | Go to Next message | Back to MessagesMark as Unread | Print ReplyReply AllMove...AARPcanadaFrench courseScottSign InsZappa Flag this message[www.ShreeMaa.org] Re: to Dan about SanskritTuesday, February 16, 2010 6:16 AM"nierika" <nierikaAdd sender to Contacts Dear Dan ~ I understand what you mean when you say reading the English along with the Sanskrit transliterations deepens your understanding. I've always done it that way, which is probably why I am always behind the group whenever we do a group project like reading the Chandi in a certain number of days. :::sigh::: I love it if we could do this, but I'm afraid it is a

big project, maybe too big. I have tried to learn Sanskrit and failed. The books just don't explain it well enough so that it makes sense, and I've never been able to afford the course of study offered by the Sanskrit Institute. I love it when Swamiji takes a short passage and explains the meaning of each syllable. Each syllable! Each syllable has meaning, not to mention whole words. Hope your desire leads to something. Jai Maa Jai Swamiji~ Linda Dan wrote:namaste all, this weekend after a wonderful Mahashivaratri i began to read the english along with the sanskrit and wow! it has really been helping me get so deep in the bhava in a way i didnt even realize was missing! i am wondering if we can maybe take up a project to connect all of the words in english to the transliterations. we can start with a particular sloka, maybe athargala stotram since there is the nice refrain and it is short. i have many missing words that i

am not sure of what they mean. but im sure i can fill in the gaps in places and others can too. if we share what we have we can do it! let me know if there is interest and capacity for a project like this? it would be a great thing to post on the website too. but aside from that i have some questions, hoping they can be answered by someone who can fill in some particular gaps. it is from the chandi path in the athargala stotram page 77 verse 18

Guest guest

i would just like to remind that my original idea was not to learn sanskrit as linda maybe has misinterprated. but to become more farmiliar with the transliteration. which is the english translation of the sanskrit. i know that it is not imperative and i know that the energy imbibes through no matter what. but my goal is to bridge that gap. so i can see the form of the divine through the words. and it happens more and more if i focus on it. learning more and more words.

all sanskrit has 3 principles.

bija, which has a meaning

each word. which also has a meaning

and then the sandhi of compound words. which combine the word meanings

its not a huge task to learn one more word, or 2 more, or one sloka. im not talking about mastering devanagari. but just in a light sense, finding another way to imbibe the bhava.

EmJayCee <mjfisher2005

Tue, Feb 16, 2010 4:33 pm

[www.ShreeMaa.org] Re: to Dan about Sanskrit

I do the same thing, most of the time, unless I am doing a long puja or a sahasranama where I just do not have the time required to read both English and Sanskrit. It is very important that I get some understanding of the meaning, although I do accept the idea that even the sounds of Sanskrit set up a certain "aura" in which my consciousness changes and in which Divine Mother responds to me. So, while I do want to know the meaning, I do not worry if I do not get it completely. Even if I understood Sanskrit completely so many concepts, attitudes and actions are embodied in the text one after another in the Chandi and the pujas, I will never consciously get the meaning of every one of them as I read or recite. However, on an unconscious level I am sure I am slowly imbibing them like food and drink. Jai Maa! As Swamiji says, Don't worry about anything!

Kumari (Joan Creed)

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:16 AM

"nierika (AT) aol (DOT) com" <nierika (AT) aol (DOT) com

Dear Dan ~ I understand what you mean when you say reading the English along with the Sanskrit transliterations deepens your understanding. I've always done it that way, which is probably why I am always behind the group whenever we do a group project like reading the Chandi in a certain number of days. :::sigh:::

I love it if we could do this, but I'm afraid it is a big project, maybe too big. I have tried to learn Sanskrit and failed. The books just don't explain it well enough so that it makes sense, and I've never been able to afford the course of study offered by the Sanskrit Institute. I love it when Swamiji takes a short passage and explains the meaning of each syllable. Each syllable! Each syllable has meaning, not to mention whole words. Ho pe your desire leads to something. Jai Maa Jai Swamiji

~ Linda

Dan wrote:

namaste all, this weekend after a wonderful Mahashivaratri i began to read the english along with the sanskrit and wow! it has really been helping me get so deep in the bhava in a way i didnt even realize was missing! i am wondering if we can maybe take up a project to connect all of the words in english to the transliterations. we can start with a particular sloka, maybe athargala stotram since there is the nice refrain and it is short. i have many missing words that i am not sure of what they mean. but im sure i can fill in the gaps in places and others can too. if we share what we have we can do it! let me know if there is interest and capacity for a project like this? it would be a great thing to post on the website too.

but aside from that i have some questions, hoping they can be answered by someone who can fill in some particular gaps. it is from the chandi path in the athargala stotram page 77 verse 18

Go to Previous message | Go to Next message | Back to Messages

Mark as Unread | Print

ReplyReply All

Move...AARPcanadaFrench courseScottSign InsZappa

Flag this message

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:16 AM

"nierika (AT) aol (DOT) com" <nierika (AT) aol (DOT) com>Add sender to Contacts

I love it if we could do this, but I'm afraid it is a big project, maybe too big. I have tried to learn Sanskrit and failed. The books just don't explain it well enough so that it makes sense, and I've never been able to afford the course of study offered by the Sanskrit Institute. I love it when Swamiji takes a short passage and explains the meaning of each syllable. Each syllable! Each syllable has meaning, not to mention whole words. Hope your desire leads to something. Jai Maa Jai Swamiji

~ Linda

Dan wrote:

namaste all, this weekend after a wonderful Mahashivaratri i began to read the english along with the sanskrit and wow! it has really been helping me get so deep in the bhava in a way i didnt even realize was missing! i am wondering if we can maybe take up a project to connect all of the words in english to the transliterations. we can start with a particular sloka, maybe athargala stotram since there is the nice refrain and it is short. i have many missing words that i am not sure of what they mean. but im sure i can fill in the gaps in places and others can too. if we share what we have we can do it! let me know if there is interest and capacity for a project like this? it would be a great thing to post on the website too.

but aside from that i have some questions, hoping they can be answered by someone who can fill in some particular gaps. it is from the chandi path in the athargala stotram page 77 verse 18