IndiaDivine.org

Jai Napeshwar!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Jai Napeshwar!

A long time ago, I had the opportunity to visit the famous Mahakaleshwar Temple located on the banks of the Shipra river in the city of Ujjain, while on a holiday tour of the region with my parents and siblings. My memories of that tour are more vivid about the exotic historical resort in Mandu where we stayed rather than the dozens of temples that we visited, including the Mahakaleshwar Mandir.

More recently, while in Devi Mandir, I visited Napeshwar to offer my puja. The peace and serenity there was overwhelming and I sat in meditation. Not for long! Soon enough the mind began to wander even as I kept protesting to Shiva about its wayward ways….what’s for dinner- forgot to tell Ramya-the wash cycle – drying lawn (Delhi) – Didi hasn’t called (Maryland). I simply watched helplessly. But He helped. The mind travelled to the memory of the visit to the Mahakl Mandir and I could vividly see the beautiful and powerful Mahakaleswar Jyotirlinga. This time I knew the puja vidhi and

the mantras (thanks to my Gurus) and lost no time. Napeshwar and Mahakaleshwar were there in one place.. After all, the pilgrimage to Ujjain, however unintended on my part at that time, had not been in vain.

I share the details of Mahakaleswar Temple. It is one of the most holy 12 Jyotirlings Shiva Temples and is believed to be Swayambu (born of its own self). It is the only Shiva ling that faces the South and is also known as Dakshina Moorthy. This is the only Shiva temple where every morning a ‘Bhasma aarti’ is performed, that is the ash from the cremation ground is smeared on the linga as a homage to Mahakal (destroyer, unifier of life and after life) and is a famous tantric center. The temple finds mention in the Atharva Veda and the Skanda Puran. While the outer temple structure was destroyed in the 13th Century by the slave king Iltutmish. It was rebuilt in the 17th Century. Many a legends abound about the powers of Makaleshwar.

Jai Maa! Jai Swamiji!

Neelima

Connect more, do more and share more with India Mail. Learn more.

One of the most powerful places on Earth for sure! The Shakti there is IMMENSE! It literally knocks you on your butt, which you then sit upon and go into a deep meditation. No choice but to!

JAI MAHAKAL!!!

-

neelima agrawal

Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:48 AM

[www.ShreeMaa.org] Re: Jai Napeshwar!

Jai Napeshwar!

A long time ago, I had the opportunity to visit the famous Mahakaleshwar Temple located on the banks of the Shipra river in the city of Ujjain, while on a holiday tour of the region with my parents and siblings. My memories of that tour are more vivid about the exotic historical resort in Mandu where we stayed rather than the dozens of temples that we visited, including the Mahakaleshwar Mandir.

More recently, while in Devi Mandir, I visited Napeshwar to offer my puja. The peace and serenity there was overwhelming and I sat in meditation. Not for long! Soon enough the mind began to wander even as I kept protesting to Shiva about its wayward ways….what’s for dinner- forgot to tell Ramya-the wash cycle – drying lawn (Delhi) – Didi hasn’t called (Maryland). I simply watched helplessly. But He helped. The mind travelled to the memory of the visit to the Mahakl Mandir and I could vividly see the beautiful and powerful Mahakaleswar Jyotirlinga. This time I knew the puja vidhi and the mantras (thanks to my Gurus) and lost no time. Napeshwar and Mahakaleshwar were there in one place.. After all, the pilgrimage to Ujjain, however unintended on my part at that time, had not been in vain.

I share the details of Mahakaleswar Temple. It is one of the most holy 12 Jyotirlings Shiva Temples and is believed to be Swayambu (born of its own self). It is the only Shiva ling that faces the South and is also known as Dakshina Moorthy. This is the only Shiva temple where every morning a ‘Bhasma aarti’ is performed, that is the ash from the cremation ground is smeared on the linga as a homage to Mahakal (destroyer, unifier of life and after life) and is a famous tantric center. The temple finds mention in the Atharva Veda and the Skanda Puran. While the outer temple structure was destroyed in the 13th Century by the slave king Iltutmish. It was rebuilt in the 17th Century. Many a legends abound about the powers of Makaleshwar.

Jai Maa! Jai Swamiji!

Neelima

Connect more, do more and share more with India Mail. Learn more.