IndiaDivine.org

to Henny about Sanskrit

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Henny ~ thank you for sharing your journey in your effort to understand Sanskrit. My own desire to learn began many years ago, before even meeting Shree Maa and Swamiji. I always loved the beauty of the Sanskrit letters and the sound of the transliteration. It is said that Sanskrit is the Mother of all languages, and I believe it is true.

I always wanted to take the course from the American Sanskrit Institute , but the CDs were too expensive for me. They now have some free online classes, and it appears the cost of the CDs have come down a bit, so I may give them a try after all.

Once, when I was taking a refresher grammar course (English), the teacher said the English was a "living" language (because it was constantly being added to) but Sanskrit was a "dead" language. I wish I had the courage to say something, but since my knowledge of Sanskrit was so poor, I said nothing. Of course, I did not believe what she said. To me Sanskrit is a beautiful living forever language. Thank you for asking our input. Jai Maa Jai Swamiji

~ Linda

Henny wrote:

There is something about learning Sanskrit that is more than just learning a foreign language. In the first Chapter of the Chandi, the Creative Capacity sings to Divine Mother, from His heart: "You are the eternal essence of all the letters". So I think all our efforts to learn are in fact efforts to get closer to Her. Hers is not a 'foreign' language, but our very own. She comes to us in the form of mantra because all mantras are Hers (have you ever noticed how, when a mantra just seems to come floating into your mind, Shree Maa seems to come too?). To me, learning Sanskrit, reciting Sanskrit, playing with Sanskrit; it all makes me feel as if I am allowed to enter Her palace, in the midst of which Mother is waiting..When it comes down to it, I feel our desire to learn Sanskrit is one of Mother's ways to draw us close. And She will never give up, no matter how long it takes,