IndiaDivine.org

Questions on Sampradaya relating to Seemandam

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear All,

There are a few questions i would like to get your valuable guidance on

01. What is the significance of conducting Seemandam?

02.When can Seemandam be conducted - that is in which month of pregnancy or can it be conducted even after the child birth, if yes when?03.What happens if the husband and the inlaws dont perform seemandam (Willfully neglecting the performance of Seemandam for the girl)04. Can the parents of the girl perform the seemandam for her?05. And if the parents are performing the seemandam , in the absence of the girls husband and inlaws, can the rituals to be performed by the husband be ignored?Would this affect the yet to be born / new born baby and what is the parihara for such a dosha?

Thanks for your time and advise.

Regards

Magesh alias Thirumalai Srivatsan

Your Mail works best with the New Optimized IE8. Get it NOW!.

The clarifications to the questions of shri Magesh are furnished hereunder: At the outset the word is pronounced as SeemanTHam and not SeemanDAm as

used. Strictly speaking it is Srimantham eaning an auspecous happenning.

1. There is no dogmatic significance. It only signifies the expression of happine-

ss on the occassion of conceving of the daughter-in-law for the first time.

It is generally said that the pregnant women usually have certain disires and

liking for some eatables, they are prepared for their consumptions.

SrinivasaRao--- On Sat, 30/1/10, Magesh <magnshim wrote:

Magesh <magnshim Questions on Sampradaya relating to Seemandam"Divya Desam" Saturday, 30 January, 2010, 11:35 PM

Dear All,

02.When can Seemandam be conducted - that is in which month of pregnancy or can it be conducted even after the child birth, if yes when?03.What happens if the husband and the inlaws dont perform seemandam (Willfully neglecting the performance of Seemandam for the girl)04. Can the parents of the girl perform the seemandam for her?05. And if the parents are performing the seemandam , in the absence of the girls husband and inlaws, can the rituals to be performed by the husband be ignored?Would this affect the yet to be born / new born baby and what is the parihara for such a dosha?

Regards

The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Homepage.

I furnish hereunder clarifications for the querstions posed by shri Magesh.

At the outset the word is pronounced as SeemanTHam and not SeemanDAm. To be more precise it is Srimantham., which means an auspecious act.

There is no laid down or dogmatic significance to it.It attracted significance in the course of performing of this function over the period. It is generally performed as mark of happiness of conceiving for the first time by the girl, and also to fulfil her likes and desires,which generally the pregnant women have.The pregnant women are dressed up in a befitting manner and are made to wear all the jewellary and all the invitees make her wear green bangles .green is a mark of auspeciousness. All this is done to make the women happy as it is believed that the happines during the pregnancy has direct bearing on the birth of a well baby.

Srimantham is performed generally on the seventh month or fifth month of pregnance.generally it is performed on the seventh month as after this month the women would go to their mothers places for delivery. Again there is no hard and fast rule. It is performed as per convenience of all the concerned, but generally on odd months and not on even months of pregnancy. It is redundant to perform after the child birth. The very purpose of performance is lost consequent to delivery.

Nothing will happen if it is not performed. But the pregnant women may have a sort of dissatisfaction that the function is not performed. Further as a social custom people always want to perform this function.

Seemantham can be performed by either of the parties. The other party's families are always invited. There are no rituals specifically done by the husbands of the pregnant women.

Non performance of the seemantham does not in anyway affect the new born child.No pariharam need be made if seemantham is not performed. Non performance is not a dosha.

I have tried to reply basing on my limited knowledge on these functions.

SrinivasaRao

--- On Sat, 30/1/10, Magesh <magnshim wrote:

Magesh <magnshim Questions on Sampradaya relating to Seemandam"Divya Desam" Saturday, 30 January, 2010, 11:35 PM

Dear All,

Regards

Dear all

My friend hs a different view and i think he is right..... pls give ur views With best regards

K.DILIP KUMAR+91-9841445566

----- Forwarded Message ----Ganesh Prasad <bganeshprasadDilip Kumar <kdk74Fri, February 5, 2010 8:38:36 AMRE: Questions on Sampradaya relating to Seemandam

Dear Dilip, Please forward my reply to our beloved divya desam group members; a. There is nothing that our elders prescribed that would waste time or give materialistic pleasure to us. When I mean 'materialistic', this is referring to someone saying that Srimantham is performed to please the pregnant women with jewels, food of her liking blah blah blah... We all have to first understand the various mantras that are chanted during Srimantham to understand the importance of this function. According to proven research, baby when inside the mothers foetus, develops the capability to hear after it is five to six months old. In order to have a very healthy and spiritually inclined baby, Shastras have prescribed Srimantham function, where various important verses from the Vedas are chanted (For health, intellect and Gods blessings for a spirutually fulfilled

life). If this function is all about satisfying the Bhoga of the pregnant women, please let me know 'Why does the Husband pour drops of Cows urine in the Wifes nose'. Is this in anyway a desire of the pregnant women ??? Our Sacred Shastras always have a hidden meaning and done for long term benefits of Man. SRIMANTHAM IS A MUST DO FUNCTION FOR A PREGNANT WOMEN AND NOT A CHOICE. Warm Regards,B. Ganesh Prasad

Tue, 2 Feb 2010 20:52:20 -0800kdk74Subject: Fw: Questions on Sampradaya relating to Seemandambganeshprasad

FYI With best regards

----- Forwarded Message ----samrajyam srinivasarao <ssrao369 Sent: Wed, February 3, 2010 8:04:51 AMRe: Questions on Sampradaya relating to Seemandam

At the outset the word is pronounced as SeemanTHam and not SeemanDAm. To be more precise it is Srimantham., which means an auspecious act.

There is no laid down or dogmatic significance to it.It attracted significance in the course of performing of this function over the period. It is generally performed as mark of happiness of conceiving for the first time by the girl, and also to fulfil her likes and desires,which generally the pregnant women have.The pregnant women are dressed up in a befitting manner and are made to wear all the jewellary and all the invitees make her wear green bangles .green is a mark of auspeciousness. All this is done to make the women happy as it is believed that the happines during the pregnancy has direct bearing on the birth of a well baby.

Srimantham is performed generally on the seventh month or fifth month of pregnance.generally it is performed on the seventh month as after this month the women would go to their mothers places for delivery. Again there is no hard and fast rule. It is performed as per convenience of all the concerned, but generally on odd months and not on even months of pregnancy. It is redundant to perform after the child birth. The very purpose of performance is lost consequent to delivery.

Nothing will happen if it is not performed. But the pregnant women may have a sort of dissatisfaction that the function is not performed. Further as a social custom people always want to perform this function.

Seemantham can be performed by either of the parties. The other party's families are always invited. There are no rituals specifically done by the husbands of the pregnant women.

Non performance of the seemantham does not in anyway affect the new born child.No pariharam need be made if seemantham is not performed. Non performance is not a dosha.

SrinivasaRao

--- On Sat, 30/1/10, Magesh <magnshim > wrote:

Magesh <magnshim > Questions on Sampradaya relating to Seemandam"Divya Desam" <>Saturday, 30 January, 2010, 11:35 PM

Dear All,

Regards

Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

Dear Swaminaha.

I accept whatever Sri B Ganesh Prasad says. But i have a querry,

"Why the Srimantham is not done for second, third....child? Can anyone clarify.

Adeyen Dasan

ravi --- On Fri, 5/2/10, Dilip Kumar <kdk74 wrote:

Dilip Kumar <kdk74Fw: Questions on Sampradaya relating to Seemandam Date: Friday, 5 February, 2010, 12:17 PM

Dear all

My friend hs a different view and i think he is right..... pls give ur views With best regards

----- Forwarded Message ----Ganesh Prasad <bganeshprasad@ hotmail.com>Dilip Kumar <kdk74 >Fri, February 5, 2010 8:38:36 AMRE: Questions on Sampradaya relating to SeemandamDear Dilip, Please forward my reply to our beloved divya desam group members; a. There is nothing that our elders prescribed that would waste time or give materialistic pleasure to us. When I mean 'materialistic' , this is referring to someone saying that Srimantham is performed to please the pregnant women with jewels, food of her liking

blah blah blah... We all have to first understand the various mantras that are chanted during Srimantham to understand the importance of this function. According to proven research, baby when inside the mothers foetus, develops the capability to hear after it is five to six months old. In order to have a very healthy and spiritually inclined baby, Shastras have prescribed Srimantham function, where various important verses from the Vedas are chanted (For health, intellect and Gods blessings for a spirutually fulfilled life). If this function is all about satisfying the Bhoga of the pregnant women, please let me know 'Why does the Husband pour drops of Cows urine in the Wifes nose'. Is this in anyway a desire of the pregnant women ??? Our Sacred Shastras always have a hidden meaning and done for long term benefits of

Man. SRIMANTHAM IS A MUST DO FUNCTION FOR A PREGNANT WOMEN AND NOT A CHOICE. Warm Regards,B. Ganesh Prasad

Tue, 2 Feb 2010 20:52:20 -0800kdk74 Fw: Questions on Sampradaya relating to Seemandambganeshprasad@ hotmail.com

FYI With best regards

----- Forwarded Message ----samrajyam srinivasarao <ssrao369 (AT) (DOT) co.in>Wed, February 3, 2010 8:04:51 AMRe: Questions on Sampradaya relating to Seemandam

SrinivasaRao

Magesh <magnshim > Questions on Sampradaya relating to Seemandam"Divya Desam" <>Saturday, 30 January, 2010, 11:35 PM

Dear All,

Regards

SrI:

Dear Ravi :

Please refer to the ebook on SamskArAs ( Seemantam) in the ebook series :

http://www.srihayagrivan.org

It is the 55th ebook .

Best wishes,

V.Sadagopan

Ravi R

Friday, February 05, 2010 8:23 AM

Re: Fw: Questions on Sampradaya relating to Seemandam

Dear Swaminaha.

I accept whatever Sri B Ganesh Prasad says. But i have a querry,

"Why the Srimantham is not done for second, third....child? Can anyone clarify.

Adeyen Dasan

ravi --- On Fri, 5/2/10, Dilip Kumar <kdk74 wrote:

Dilip Kumar <kdk74Fw: Questions on Sampradaya relating to Seemandam Date: Friday, 5 February, 2010, 12:17 PM

Dear all

----- Forwarded Message ----Ganesh Prasad <bganeshprasad@ hotmail.com>Dilip Kumar <kdk74 >Fri, February 5, 2010 8:38:36 AMRE: Questions on Sampradaya relating to SeemandamDear Dilip, Please forward my reply to our beloved divya desam group members; a. There is nothing that our elders prescribed that would waste time or give materialistic pleasure to us. When I mean 'materialistic' , this is referring to someone saying that Srimantham is performed to please the pregnant women with jewels, food of her liking blah blah blah... We all have to first understand the various mantras that are chanted during Srimantham to understand the importance of this function. According to proven research, baby when inside the mothers foetus, develops the capability to hear after it is five to six months old. In order to have a very healthy and spiritually inclined baby, Shastras have prescribed Srimantham function, where various important verses from the Vedas are chanted (For health, intellect and Gods blessings for a spirutually fulfilled life). If this function is all about satisfying the Bhoga of the pregnant women, please let me know 'Why does the Husband pour drops of Cows urine in the Wifes nose'. Is this in anyway a desire of the pregnant women ??? Our Sacred Shastras always have a hidden meaning and done for long term benefits of Man. SRIMANTHAM IS A MUST DO FUNCTION FOR A PREGNANT WOMEN AND NOT A CHOICE. Warm Regards,B. Ganesh Prasad

Tue, 2 Feb 2010 20:52:20 -0800kdk74 Fw: Questions on Sampradaya relating to Seemandambganeshprasad@ hotmail.com

FYI With best regards

----- Forwarded Message ----samrajyam srinivasarao <ssrao369 (AT) (DOT) co.in>Wed, February 3, 2010 8:04:51 AMRe: Questions on Sampradaya relating to Seemandam

SrinivasaRao

Dear All,

Regards