IndiaDivine.org

Kanthar Anubhuthi - verse 26

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Transliteration:

aaThaaram ilEn aruLai— peRavE, neethaan oru satRum ninainThilaiyE vEThaagama jnaana vinOTha manO— , — theethaa sura lOka sikhaa maNiyE. 26

Meaning:

I, Who am supportless, Your grace to get You too have bestowed not a moment's thought! Vedas, Agamas, Knowledge, Actions and the Mind even, — Transcending these art Thou, O Crest-Jewel of Heaven! "O Lord, the Crest-Jewel of Devaloka! Who art beyond (the reach of) the Vedas, Agamas, (intellectual) knowledge, (physical) activity and mind! I am supportless, O Lord! (Yet) Thou hast not thought, even for a moment, of my receiving Thy grace (to have God-Experience)!"

Detailed Commentary:

He is beyond the Vedas & Agamas

The Vedas are four and the Siva Agamas are twenty-eight. They glorify God and try to point out the way of attaining Him. They contain the highest wisdom, the mystic revelations of sages and sages. But, they also conclude by saying that He is beyond their reach, because God has to be experienced by oneself. Our intellectual understanding, mental processes and bodily activities also cannot take us near God. He is beyond the reach of anything known to us in our present condition of knowing. He stands transcending everything and so He is not attainable by any of these means. "Leaving my delusion on the world, which is subject to the law of Karma, I have resorted to Thee alone, who art perfect (as per the previous verse). Therefore, I have now no support of this world; Thou art my only support. But Thou art beyond the reach of the mind, etc. Therefore, my thinking of Thee and praying to Thee will not help me to have God-experience. Thou shouldst think of me now, though for a moment, and that would be enough; that would only bring me Thy grace and divine experience," — is the appeal of Arunagirinathar.

Limitation of Human endeavor

Does this mean that we need not do any Sadhana but simply expect the grace of the Lord? No. After devoting oneself to the study of scriptures, after an intellectual understanding of God, after putting into practice of what has been learnt and understood, one realizes the limitations of the mind and intellect — of all human effort — and then surrenders oneself to the Lord in utter helplessness, knowing fully well that nothing but His grace can reveal the Lord. This is the condition to which Arunagirinathar seems to drive at, when he says, "O Lord, thou art beyond the reach of the mind, etc., I am supportless. Wilt thou not think of bestowing thy grace on me!" A total realization of the limitations of human endeavor is the pre-condition for the manifestation of divine grace. The ego that asserts its power should humble itself and feel its nothingness. Where, thus, the ego subsides, God reveals Himself. Where the wave of individuality sinks, the ocean of Universality stands supreme. Where human effort ceases, divine grace manifests itself.

Why God is beyond the Vedas, the Agamas, the mind, etc.

Why is God beyond the reach of the mind, the Vedas, etc.? God is infinite, while the mind, etc., are finite. Can the finite know the infinite? The mind is extrovert by nature, while the infinite is all-pervading, that is, it is not particularized. The more the mind tries to know God, the more does it externalize itself and thereby alienate itself from God (Omnipresent Reality). Hence, extroverted activity, such as reading of scriptures, discussions, etc., cannot approximate one to God. But they help one realize this truth that they cannot help one attain God. On this realization, when the mind ceases from activity and becomes supportless, i.e., takes refuge in the Lord, in the omnipresent Reality, God's grace is manifest. The mind should cease functioning, then God manifests Himself. The mind cannot attain God so long as it maintains its individuality.

more explanation in skandagurunatha website

Courtesy: www.skandagurunatha.org

• 3 weeks later...

Muruga Saranam

The explanation of this verse has been very very helpful. It clearly draws the line upto where one should put efforts and when one should seek refuge. Before it was confusing for me as on one side they say you should put all your efforts and on the other side they say you never achieve Him by your efforts. Here it clearly says that you should go through the phase of efforts and interrogation to realize that you cannot know him by enquiry, knowledge and interrogation lol. Very Beautiful Explanation. Once again Thanks Mr. Ramaswamy.

Muruga Saranam

With best Regards

Meyyappan S

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 7:36 PM, r_ramasamy <rramasamy wrote:

Transliteration:

aaThaaram ilEn aruLai— peRavE, neethaan oru satRum ninainThilaiyE vEThaagama jnaana vinOTha manO— , — theethaa sura lOka sikhaa maNiyE. 26

Meaning:

I, Who am supportless, Your grace to get You too have bestowed not a moment's thought! Vedas, Agamas, Knowledge, Actions and the Mind even, — Transcending these art Thou, O Crest-Jewel of Heaven!

" O Lord, the Crest-Jewel of Devaloka! Who art beyond (the reach of) the Vedas, Agamas, (intellectual) knowledge, (physical) activity and mind! I am supportless, O Lord! (Yet) Thou hast not thought, even for a moment, of my receiving Thy grace (to have God-Experience)! "

Detailed Commentary:

The Vedas are four and the Siva Agamas are twenty-eight. They glorify God and try to point out the way of attaining Him. They contain the highest wisdom, the mystic revelations of sages and sages. But, they also conclude by saying that He is beyond their reach, because God has to be experienced by oneself. Our intellectual understanding, mental processes and bodily activities also cannot take us near God. He is beyond the reach of anything known to us in our present condition of knowing. He stands transcending everything and so He is not attainable by any of these means. " Leaving my delusion on the world, which is subject to the law of Karma, I have resorted to Thee alone, who art perfect (as per the previous verse). Therefore, I have now no support of this world; Thou art my only support. But Thou art beyond the reach of the mind, etc. Therefore, my thinking of Thee and praying to Thee will not help me to have God-experience. Thou shouldst think of me now, though for a moment, and that would be enough; that would only bring me Thy grace and divine experience, " — is the appeal of Arunagirinathar.

Does this mean that we need not do any Sadhana but simply expect the grace of the Lord? No. After devoting oneself to the study of scriptures, after an intellectual understanding of God, after putting into practice of what has been learnt and understood, one realizes the limitations of the mind and intellect — of all human effort — and then surrenders oneself to the Lord in utter helplessness, knowing fully well that nothing but His grace can reveal the Lord. This is the condition to which Arunagirinathar seems to drive at, when he says, " O Lord, thou art beyond the reach of the mind, etc., I am supportless. Wilt thou not think of bestowing thy grace on me! " A total realization of the limitations of human endeavor is the pre-condition for the manifestation of divine grace. The ego that asserts its power should humble itself and feel its nothingness. Where, thus, the ego subsides, God reveals Himself. Where the wave of individuality sinks, the ocean of Universality stands supreme. Where human effort ceases, divine grace manifests itself.

Why is God beyond the reach of the mind, the Vedas, etc.? God is infinite, while the mind, etc., are finite. Can the finite know the infinite? The mind is extrovert by nature, while the infinite is all-pervading, that is, it is not particularized. The more the mind tries to know God, the more does it externalize itself and thereby alienate itself from God (Omnipresent Reality). Hence, extroverted activity, such as reading of scriptures, discussions, etc., cannot approximate one to God. But they help one realize this truth that they cannot help one attain God. On this realization, when the mind ceases from activity and becomes supportless, i.e., takes refuge in the Lord, in the omnipresent Reality, God's grace is manifest. The mind should cease functioning, then God manifests Himself. The mind cannot attain God so long as it maintains its individuality.

Courtesy: www.skandagurunatha.org

• 2 weeks later...

Ohm ! SIVAARAVANABAVA !

Dear Friends,

Did u notice one wonderful thing in this verse ? !!!!.

This 26th verse is the centermost of the 51 verses !

The most important word " Ninainthilaiye " is the centermost word in this verse !!!

U will agree with me that unless Lord Murugan, atleast for one moment, thinks to bestow His grace, we will be supportless.

---V. HARIHARAN--- On Sun, 10/26/08, S Meyyappan <smeyyappan wrote:

S Meyyappan <smeyyappanRe: Kanthar Anubhuthi - verse 26dhandapani Date: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 4:26 AM

Muruga Saranam

The explanation of this verse has been very very helpful. It clearly draws the line upto where one should put efforts and when one should seek refuge. Before it was confusing for me as on one side they say you should put all your efforts and on the other side they say you never achieve Him by your efforts. Here it clearly says that you should go through the phase of efforts and interrogation to realize that you cannot know him by enquiry, knowledge and interrogation lol. Very Beautiful Explanation. Once again Thanks Mr. Ramaswamy.

Muruga Saranam

With best Regards

Meyyappan S

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 7:36 PM, r_ramasamy <rramasamy (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Transliteration:

Meaning:

I, Who am supportless, Your grace to get You too have bestowed not a moment's thought! Vedas, Agamas, Knowledge, Actions and the Mind even, — Transcending these art Thou, O Crest-Jewel of Heaven! "O Lord, the Crest-Jewel of Devaloka! Who art beyond (the reach of) the Vedas, Agamas, (intellectual) knowledge, (physical) activity and mind! I am supportless, O Lord! (Yet) Thou hast not thought, even for a moment, of my receiving Thy grace (to have God-Experience) !"

Detailed Commentary:

The Vedas are four and the Siva Agamas are twenty-eight. They glorify God and try to point out the way of attaining Him. They contain the highest wisdom, the mystic revelations of sages and sages. But, they also conclude by saying that He is beyond their reach, because God has to be experienced by oneself. Our intellectual understanding, mental processes and bodily activities also cannot take us near God. He is beyond the reach of anything known to us in our present condition of knowing. He stands transcending everything and so He is not attainable by any of these means. "Leaving my delusion on the world, which is subject to the law of Karma, I have resorted to Thee alone, who art perfect (as per the previous verse). Therefore, I have now no support of this world; Thou art my only support. But Thou art beyond the reach of the mind, etc. Therefore, my thinking of Thee and praying to Thee will not help me to have God-experience. Thou shouldst think of

me now, though for a moment, and that would be enough; that would only bring me Thy grace and divine experience," — is the appeal of Arunagirinathar.

Does this mean that we need not do any Sadhana but simply expect the grace of the Lord? No. After devoting oneself to the study of scriptures, after an intellectual understanding of God, after putting into practice of what has been learnt and understood, one realizes the limitations of the mind and intellect — of all human effort — and then surrenders oneself to the Lord in utter helplessness, knowing fully well that nothing but His grace can reveal the Lord. This is the condition to which Arunagirinathar seems to drive at, when he says, "O Lord, thou art beyond the reach of the mind, etc., I am supportless. Wilt thou not think of bestowing thy grace on me!" A total realization of the limitations of human endeavor is the pre-condition for the manifestation of divine grace. The ego that asserts its power should humble itself and feel its nothingness. Where, thus, the ego subsides, God reveals Himself. Where the wave of individuality sinks, the

ocean of Universality stands supreme. Where human effort ceases, divine grace manifests itself.

Courtesy: www.skandagurunatha .org