Sign in to follow this  
gokulkr

Vasudeva Upanishad

Rate this topic

Vasudeva Upanishad

udupi-krishnar-2b.jpg

Om ! Let my limbs and speech, Prana, eyes, ears, vitality

And all the senses grow in strength.

All existence is the Brahman of the Upanishads.

May I never deny Brahman, nor Brahman deny me.

Let there be no denial at all:

Let there be no denial at least from me.

May the virtues that are proclaimed in the Upanishads be in me,

Who am devoted to the Atman; may they reside in me.

Om ! Let there be Peace in me !

Let there be Peace in my environment !

Let there be Peace in the forces that act on me !

Om. The God like sage Narada saluted Lord Vasudeva and requested him, “Oh God, please teach me the rules of Urdhva Pundra (the religious mark of Vaishnavas which is vertical and points upward)”. 1

God Vasudeva addressing him told as follows:

The Brahmachari (unmarried student of Vedas) and Grahastha (householder) after reciting the following prayer: “Oh God who holds the wheel, mace and conch, Oh Achyutha who is staying in Dwaraka, Oh Govinda, Oh Lotus eyed one,

please protect me, who has surrendered to you.” should apply Urdhva Pundra in his forehead and other 12 places with his pure finger (finger next to the little finger) reciting either the Vishnu Gayathri or the 12 names of the Lord viz., Kesava, Narayana, Madhava, Govinda, Vishnu, Madhusudana, Trivikrama, Vamana, Sreedhara, Hrishikesa, Padmanabha and Damodhara. 2

The Sanyasi should wear the Urdhva Pundra with his fourth finger on the head, forehead and chest chanting the Pranava (Om). 3

Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are three in number: Sthoola (macro), Sookshma (micro) and Karana (cause); are three worlds above: Bhoo, Bhuva and Suva; are three Vedas: Rig, Yajur and Sama; are three states: waking up, dream and sleep. The Urdhva Pundras are three viz., Aa, Uu and Ma. These Urdhva Pundras are full of Pranava and full of the letter Om. That one pranava has only become any. The Lord of the ‘Om’ takes you above. So you have to wear Urdhva Pundra. 4

That sage who wears four things upward viz., stick, bravery, yoga and Urdhva Pundra would reach the high status of salvation. This stable knowledge would reach me naturally through devotion. 5

Om ! Let my limbs and speech, Prana, eyes, ears, vitality

And all the senses grow in strength.

All existence is the Brahman of the Upanishads.

May I never deny Brahman, nor Brahman deny me.

Let there be no denial at all:

Let there be no denial at least from me.

May the virtues that are proclaimed in the Upanishads be in me,

Who am devoted to the Atman; may they reside in me.

Om ! Let there be Peace in me !

Let there be Peace in my environment !

Let there be Peace in the forces that act on me !

Here ends the Vasudevopanishad, included in the Sama-Veda.

Mandukya Upanishad

thiru-malirunsolai-azhagar-b.jpg

Om ! O gods, may we hear with our ears what is auspicious;

May we see with our eyes what is auspicious;

May we, while offering our praise to gods

With our bodies strong of limbs,

Enjoy the life which the gods are pleased to grant us.

May Indra of great fame be well disposed to us;

May the all-knowing (or immensely wealthy) Pusha be propitious to us;

May Garuda, the vanquisher of miseries, be well pleased with us;

May Brihaspati grant us all prosperity.

Om ! Peace ! Peace ! Peace !

1. All this is the letter Om. A vivid explanation of this (is begun). All that is past, present, and future is but Om. Whatever transcends the three periods of time, too, is Om.

2. All this is certainly Brahman. This Self is Brahman. This Self, as such, is possessed of four quarters.

3. (The Self) seated in the waking state and called Vaisvanara who, possessed of the consciousness of the exterior, and seven limbs and nineteen mouths, enjoys the gross objects, is the first quarter.

4. (The Self) seated in the state of dream and called Taijasa who, possessed of the consciousness of the interior, and seven limbs and nineteen mouths, enjoys the subtle objects, is the second quarter.

5. Where the sleeper desires not a thing of enjoyment and sees not any dream, that state is deep sleep. (The Self) seated in the state of deep sleep and called Prajna, in whom everything is unified, who is dense with consciousness, who is full of bliss, who is certainly the enjoyer of bliss, and who is the door to the knowledge (of the preceding two states), is the third quarter.

6. This is the Lord of all; this is omniscient; this is the in-dwelling controller (of all); this is the source and indeed the origin and dissolution of all beings.

7. The Fourth is thought of as that which is not conscious of the internal world, nor conscious of the external world, nor conscious of both the worlds, nor dense with consciousness, nor simple consciousness, nor unconsciousness, which is unseen, actionless, incomprehensible, uninferable, unthinkable, indescribable, whose proof consists in the identity of the Self (in all states), in which all phenomena come to a cessation, and which is unchanging, auspicious, and non-dual. That is the Self; that is to be known.

8. That same Self, from the point of view of the syllable, is Om, and viewed from the stand point of the letters, the quarters are the letters, and the letters are the quarters. The letters are a, u and m.

9. Vaisvanara seated in the waking state is the first letter a, owing to its all-pervasiveness or being the first. He who knows thus verily accomplishes all longings and becomes the first.

10. Taijasa seated in the dream is u, the second letter (of Om), owing to the similarity of excellence or intermediate position. He who knows thus verily advances the bounds of his knowledge and becomes equal (to all) and none who is not a knower of Brahman is born in his family.

11. Prajna seated in the state of deep sleep is m, the third letter (of Om), because of his being the measure or the entity wherein all become absorbed. He who knows thus measures all this and absorbs all.

12. That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Om ! O gods, may we hear with our ears what is auspicious;

May we see with our eyes what is auspicious;

May we, while offering our praise to gods

With our bodies strong of limbs,

Enjoy the life which the gods are pleased to grant us.

May Indra of great fame be well disposed to us;

May the all-knowing (or immensely wealthy) Pusha be propitious to us;

May Garuda, the vanquisher of miseries, be well pleased with us;

May Brihaspati grant us all prosperity.

Om ! Peace ! Peace ! Peace !

Here ends the Mandukyopanishad, as contained in the Atharva-Veda.

Panja Aayuthams - Nithya Soorigal

Chakkaram, Sangu, Gadhai, Sword and Bow are called "Panja Aayudham" and also called as "Nithya soorigal". And among these 5, Sri Sudharsana Chakkaram is said to be the chief.

Ashtabuyagaram - Sri Aadhikesava Perumal Temple, Kanchipuram

ashtabujam-2b.jpg

trans.gif

Temple Location :

About the Temple:

This sthalam is also found in Kanchipuram (chinna or little kanchipuram) and is situated about 2 Kms from Sri Varadharajar Temple. Lots of bus facilities are available from Big Kanchipuram. It is very close to Sri Yathothakaari Temple.

Sthlapuranam :

The Perumal in this Sthalam is Sri Aadhikesava Perumal and he is seen with 8 hands. He holds Chakaram, Sword, a Flower and an Arrow on the 4 right hands and Sangu, Bow, Kedayam (which is used to protect while fighting using a sword) and Gadha (Which can be found along with Hanuman and Bhima).

The sthalapuranam of this temple is also associated with that of Saraswathi and Lord Brahman. After all the demons were killed by Sriman Narayanan, who were sent by Saraswathi to destroy the yagam done by Brahma devan, she finaly sent a ferocious Sarbham (snake). Sriman Narayanan to kill the dangerous snake, took the form of Ashtabhuja Perumal holding 8 different weapons to kill the snake. And using all those 8 weapons, he killed the snake sent by Saraswathi. The snake is found on the Vaayu end of the yaaga sala as "Sarabeswaran" in this temple.

This Perumal gave His prathyaksham (seva) for Gajendran, the elephant. The Weapons like sword, bow, Gadha etc., found in the hands of the perumal is said to be against the evil and helps for good things. All the eight things (or) Aayudham (weapon) found on the hands of the Perumal is called as "Divya Aayudha Aazhwargal".

When coming across the sculptures found in this sthalam, we can see that this temple was built by Thondaiman Chakravarthy who is popularly named as Vayiramoghan.

Specials:

• The Lord here has 8 hands in which he holds 8 different weapons.

Moolavar and Thaayar:

The Moolavar of this Sthalam is Sri Aadikesava Perumal. Other names are Gajendravaradhan, Chakrathaarar.

Moolavar in standing position facing West direction. Prathyaksham for Gajendran, an Elephant. It is believed that only in this sthalam, Gajendra Moksham happened.

Thaayar

Alarmelmangai Thayaar. Other name is Padmasani.

Mangalasasanam:

• Thirumangai Alwar - 10 Paasurams.
  • Pei Alwar - 1 Paasuram.
    Total - 11

Vedantha desikar, Manavala Maamuni also has done mangalasasanam. Pushkarani:

• Gajendra Pushkarani.

Vimanam:

Ganganakkruthi, Sanganakkruthi Vimanam.

Thiru Chithrakoodam - Sri Govindaraja Perumal Temple, Chidambaram

chitrakoodam%2Bperumal.jpg

trans.gif

Temple Location :

About the Temple:

This temple is in Chidambaram in Tamil Nadu. Drop in at Chidamabaram Railway station in the Chennai to Trichy main line. Ample bus facilities are there. Staying arrangements are well furnished.

Sthala Puranam:

As Lord Narayana poses as Nila Thingal Thundan perumal having inside the Ekambareswar temple premises in Kanchipuram, here at Chidambaram one of the very big Shiva temple he poses as Govindarajan near Lord Natarajar Sannadhi.

The Mountain "Chitra Kooda Malai" was in North India near the Prayagai. In this very place only Lord Rama Stayed while he was sent to the forest and left his pregnent wife Sitadevi.

While he came searching for his wife who was taken away by Ravana, Lord Rama found this place in South India and compared it's beauty to Chitra Kooda in North India. Thus it got its name.

As this place largely represents Sri Rama, Kulashekara Alwar considers Govinda rajan as Sri Kalyana Rama and composed all his 11 Paasurams posing Govindarajan as Sri Rama only.

Thirumangai alwar found Govindarajan to be still like a portrait or picture enchanting himself in the stunning dance of Lord Nataraja here at Ponnambalam - Chidambaram. So among the 32 Paasurams he composed, the first 10 are of the ("Shankarabaranam Ragam") "Raga: Shankarabaranam" the favourite raga of Lord Shiva.

It's been said that the 3000 Brahmins of Thinai, Paanini, Padanjali and Vyakrapadha Maharishi had the vision of Lord Shiva's dance along with Lord Govindaraja and got both the lords blessings.

As Parashakti (wife of Lord Shiva) danced with Lord Shiva transforming her as Thillai kaali, this place is known as Thillai Nagar.

Pundarekatchan means Vishnu, so his wife is called Pundaregavalli and the Pushkarani pundarega Pushkarani.

As the perumal Govindarajan lays still and soft releishing the dance the Vimaanam is called "Sathivega Vimaanam" where Sathvigam literally means soft nature.

Moolavar has Sangu and Chakaram in his hands. He's attended by his wives Periya Piratti, Bhoomi piratti and Neela devi at his feet. The celestial persons ie devas surround him. And he is in the sleeping posture.

It's been said that while reparing the Nataraja temple, Aanapaya chozan also known as Second Kulothunga ordered his men to remove Govindaraja's idol and throw it into the sea.

Late the great social reformer Aacharya Ramanuja took great effort in finding Govindaraja under the sea and found him and replaced him in his original place.

During the life time of Alwars, Govindaraja's Poojas was done by the thillai Brahmains ie Shaivities only. But during 1539 A.D, king Krishnadevaraya's brother Aachudharayar employed Bhatacharyas (Priests following Vaishnavam) and made them to render pooja's under the Vyganasa Aagamam (One type of rites and rituals).

Though there are lots of difference of Opinions between the Shaivities and Vaishnavities dating back from the period of Alwars, atleast let us unite together to stop these meaningless fights and accept the unity between the lords.

Specials:

1. The main speciality of this temple is that this Perumal has his sannathi in the premises of the Lord Shiva's temple itself. That too near the Natarajar sannathi itself.

Moolavar:

The Moolavar of this Divyadesam is Sri Govindarajan. He is giving his seva Kindantha (Sleeping) Thirukkolam in Bhoga Sayanam facing his thirumugham towards eest direction. Prathyaksham for Thillai Moovayiravar, Paanini, Padhanjali and Vyakpathra Maharishi.

Thayaar:

The Thayaar found in this sthalam is Pundaregavalli. She has a separate sannadhi in this temple.

Utsavar:

1. Devadhidevan. Also known as Parthasarathy. He is in the sitting posture.
  2. Chitira Koodhathullan with two wives.
  3. Sri Rama in his Vanavasa Kolam (ie poses as in his forest surroundings).
Mangalasasanam:

• Thirumangaialwar - 32 Paasurams
  • Kulasekara Alwar - 11 Paasurams.
    Total - 43 Paasurams.

Pushkarani:

Pundarega Pushkarani.

Vimanam:

Saathvega Vimaanam.