IndiaDivine.org

Thirupallaandu

Rate this topic

gokulkr

<CENTER>PERIYAZHWAR'S THIRUPPALANDU

</CENTER><CENTER>THIRUPPALANDU-SUMMARY AND MEANINGS

</CENTER>

ThirupaLLaaNdu With Meanings

pOdhu thaniyangal (common dedicatory verses)

1. raamaan^uja dhaYaapaathram gNYaan^a-vairaagYa bhooshaNam

srimadh-vEnkata-n^aathaarYam vandhE vEdhaantha-dhEsikam

I salute Sri vEdAntha dEsikan, who had the blessings of Sri RAmAnujAchArya and Sri ApuLLar, and who had knowledge and vairAgyam as ornaments, and who was the AvatAram of the GantA (maNi) of Sri vEnkatanAthan.

Sreesailesa dhayaapaathram deepakthyaadhee gunArNavam

Yatheendrap-pravaNam vandhE ramyajaamaathram munim

I salute Sri ManavaaLa MaamunigaL, who has the blessings of Thiruvaaimozhip Pillai (ManavaaLa Maamuni’s Aachaarya) and who is an ocean of gyaanam (knowledge) and Bhakthi (devotion) .

2. Lakshmi-naatha samaa-rambhaam naada yaamuna madya-maam

asmadaa-chaarya paryanthaam vandE guru-param-paraam

I salute the guruparamparaa that starts with Emperumaan, has Sri Naadhamuni and has my Aachaarya (Emperumaan, Raamaanuja) at the end.

3. yO nithya-machyutha-padaam-buja-yugma-rugma

vyaamOhadas dadhi-tha-raaNi thru-Naaya mEnE

asmath-gurOr bhagavathOsya dhayaika-sindhO:

raamaanujasya saraNau saraNam prapadhyE.

I embrace the feet of Emperumaan (Raamaanuja) who has rejected everything other than those associated with the Lotus feet of Emperumaan (because of his infinite love for Him) and who is an ocean of compassion, and my Aachaarya.

4. maatha pithaa yuvathayas thanayaa vibhuthi:

sarvam yadhEva niyamEna mathanva-yaanaam,

aathyasya na: kulabhthEr vagu-Laabhi-raamam

sreemath thathanGgari-yugalam praNa-maami moortha-naa.

In the above thaniyan, Aalavandhaar salutes Azhwaars and Sriman Naaraayanaa. I salute the Lotus feet (of Sriman Naaraayanaa) that is made more beautiful by the maghiza flowers of the Azhwaars (Prabhandham); I salute the feet of the Azhwaars who are the mother, father, people, wealth and everything to me and those associated with me.

5. bhootham sarascha mahaa-dhaahvaya-patta-naadha-

sree-bhakthi-saara-kulasEkhara-yOgi-vaahaan,

bhakthaangirirENu parakaala-yathindra mishRaan,

sreemath paraankusa munim prana-thOsmi nithyam

I worship Bhootha Azhwaar, Pey Azhwaar (mahadaahvaya), Poigai Azhwaar (saras), Periya Azhwaar (Pattanaadha), Thirumazhisai Azhwaar (Bhakthisaara), KulasEkara Azhwaar, ThirupaaN Azhwaar (YOgivaahaan), Thondar-aadip-podi Azhwaar (BhakthaangirirEnu), Thirumangai Azhwaar (parakaala), Emperumaanaar (Yathindra, Raamaanuja) and Nammazhwaar (paraankusa muni) every day.

thiruppaLLaaNdu periyaazhvaar thirumozhikaLin dhaniyan-kaL

(dedicatory verses for Sri Periya Azhwaar’s ThiruppaLLaaNdu)

Sri Naadhamuni:

1. guru-muka mana-dheethya praaha vEdhaana-sEshaan

nara-pathi-pari-kluptham soolka maadhaathu-kaamaha

Svasura-mamara-vandhyam ranga-naathasya saak-shaath

dhvija-kula-thilakam tham vishNu-chiththam na-maami

I salute Periya Azhwaar (Vishnu Chiththam), the gem among brahmins, who won the debate on parathathva nirnayam (expounding the truth as to who is THE Paramatma) by quoting from the vEdaas without any formal education from an Aacharya (by the grace of Sriman Naraayanaa), who is worthy of worship by the dEvaas and who is the father-in-law of Sri Ranganaatha.

2. minnaar-thadamathiL-soozh villi-puth-thoor-enRu orukaal, son-naar-kazhaR-kamalam soodi-nOm, mun-naaL kizhiyaRuththaan enRuraiththOm, keezhmaiyiniR-chErum, vazhiyaRuththOm nenjamE! vandhu

"O! My Mind! Because you helped me, I am able to adorn my head with the lotus feet of Bhagavatas who mentioned about Srivilliputtur even once. In the days when people raised doubts as to who was THE Paramatma, he cleared their doubts and won the prize of the wallet. By mentioning this event, we got rid of the sins that steep us down in hell".

3. paaN-diyan-koN-daadap pattar-piraan van-dhaan-enRu eeNdiya sangam-etuth-thoodha vENdiya vEdhangaLOdhi viraindhu kizhiya-Ruth-thaan paa-dhangaL yaam-udaiya-paRRu

"Our refuge is the feet of Periya Azhwaar who won the prize of the wallet by expounding the portions of Veda to prove that Lord Narayana IS THE Paramatma, as a result of which the Vallabha Pandiya Deva praised him as Bhattar Piraan and groups and groups of people blew their conches aloud in his honour"

<CENTER>Periya Azhwaar aruLichchaidha thirupaLLaaNdu</CENTER>>

The context behind thiruppaLLaaNdu:

Periya Azhwaar was born in the month of Aani, sOthi (swathi) nakshaththiram in Sri Villipuththoor. He was known as Vishnu Chiththar. He used to perform pushpa kainkaryam (services) to the Lord of Sri Villipuththoor (Vadabhadrasaayee or Rangamannaar). In that time, the Paandiyaa King of Madurai wanted to find out the best way to God and organized a debate inviting many scholars. Sriman Naaraayanaa wanted to send our Azhwaar to the debate and appeared in his dreams and granted him all the knowledge.

Periya Azhwaar went to Madurai and established that Sriman Naaraayanaa is the Parama Purushan. The paandiya king performed an uthsavam for the Azhwaar, with the Azhwaar on an elephant in a procession through the streets of Madurai. Sriman Naaraayanaa wanted to enjoy the celebration of His Bhakthaa (Azhwaar). He came to Madurai on Garuda and enjoyed the celebration of the Azhwaar. It was at this time that Azhwaar sang paLLaaNdu using the elephant bells as thaaLam. On seeing Sriman Naaraayanaa on the Garuda, our Azhwaar gets worried that some harm would occur to Him and says “Jaya vijayee bhava” to Sriman Naaraayanaa. On seeing this our Lord shows His Bhuja balam to the Azhwaar so that Azhwaar can stop worrying. But this had the opposite effect on Azhwaar--

he starts to worry like a mother worries abour her child (that it will get into trouble without thinking about others’ strengths because it is so confident of its strength) and sings the first song --paLLaaNdu paLLaaNdu.

1: paLLaaNdu paLLaaNdu pallaayi-rath-thaaNdu,

palakOdi n^ooR-aayiram

mallaaNda diN-thOL maNivaNNaa!, un

sevvadi sevvithiruk-kaappu. (2)

mal aaNdu thin thOl maNi vaNNa - Oh! manivaNNa with strong shoulders that killed the wrestlers (keechakaa, Kamsaa, etc in Krishna Avathaaram) paL aaNdu, paL aaNdu - many years, many years pal aayirath thaaNdu - many thousand of years pala kOdi noor aayiram - many crores, hundreds of thousand years un sEvadi - Your Lotus feet sEviththu iru kaappu - should shine

Oh MaNivaNNa with strong shoulders that killed the wrestlers! Your lotus feet should shine without any harm for thousands of years!

2: adiyO mOdum n^innOdum, pirivinRi-aayiram pallaaNdu,

vadivaay n^invala maarbinil, vaazhginRa mangaiyum pallaaNdu,

vadivaar sOthi valath-thuRaiyum, sudar-aazhiyum pallaaNdu

padaipOr-pukku-muzhangum, appaancha-sanniyamum pallaaNdE. (2)

The relationship between You and I should continue for thousands of years - (literally You and we should live for thousands of years without parting); Thousands of years to the mangai (Sri, Lakshmi) who is on Your right chest (n^invala maarbinil). Long live Sudharshana azhwaan (disc) who resides on your right hand. Long live paanchajanyaa (conch) who sounds in the beginning of all Your battles.

3: vaazhaatpattu-n^inReer-uLLeerEl, vandhu maNNum manamum-koNmin,

koozhaat-pattu-n^inReer-gaLai, engaL kuzhuvinil-pukuthalottOm,

Ezhaat-kaalum pazhippilOm n^aangaL, iraak-katharvaazh,

ilangai paazhaaLaagap padai-poruthaanukkup paLLaaNdu kooRuthumE.

vaazhaatpattu-n^inReer - those who consider themselves as the slaves of the Lord (dependent on the Lord), and who continue to do that uLLeerEl - if you are there vandhu maNNum manamum-koNmin - come join us performing kainkaryam for Him koozhaat-pattu-n^inReer-gaLai - those who are dependent on others only for food engaL kuzhuvinil-pukuthalottOm - we will not allow them into our own group (gOshti) Ezhaat-kaalum pazhippilOm n^aangaL - Who are we? We have been performing kainkaryam for the past seven generations without any sins iraak-katharvaazh ilangai - Lanka where the Raakshasaas lived paazhaaLaagap padai-poruthaanukkup paLLaaNdu kooRuthumE - we sing paLLaaNdu to Him who led the vaanara sEna and defeated the Lankans. (literally - we sing paLLaaNdu to Him who laid waste to Lankha where the Raakshasaas live)

Our Azhwaar is not content with singing paLLaNNdu to the Lord by himself. He wants all kinds of interested people in this world to join him in singing paLLaNNdu to Him. He considers the people of this world to fall into three categories - (1) those who are after wealth, (2) those who are after kailvalyam and (3) those who do not care about experiencing Him. Azhwaar asks the first two kinds of people to join him in singing paLLaaNdu to Him in the next two paasurams. In this paasuram, he invites the people who are already bhakthas.

4: Edun^ilaththil-iduvathan munnam-vandhu, engaL kuzhaam-pugundhu,

koodu-manam udaiyeer-gaL varampozhi, vandhu-ollaik-kooduminO,

naadum n^agaramum n^an-gaRiya, namO n^aaraayaNaaya-venRu,

paadu-manamudaip paththaruLLeer!, vandhu paLLaaNdu kooRuminE.

edu nilam - the state of being immersed in wordly pleasures Edun^ilaththil-iduvathan munnam-vandhu - before being lost in wordly pleasures koodu-manam udaiyeer-gaL - those who wish to (join our group) engaL kuzhaam-pugundhu - become a part of our group varampozhi - cat aside that artificial limit (varambu) vandhu-ollaik-kooduminO - (and) do so soon namO n^aaraayaNaaya-venRu - paadu-manamudaip paththaruLLeer - those bhakthas (devotees) who want to sing namO n^aaraayaNaaya naadum n^agaramum n^angu aRiya - so the people of the world know the good in it vandhu paLLaaNdu kooRuminE - come sing paLLaaNdu with us.

5: aNdak-kulaththukk adhi-pathiyaagi, asurariraak-kadarai,

iNdaik-kulaththai-eduththuk-kaLaindha, irudee kEsan-thanakku,

thoNdak-kulaththiluLLeer! vandhadi-thozhudu, aayira n^aamam solli,

paNdaik-kulaththaith-thavirndhu, paLLaaNdu pal-laayirath-thaaNdu-enminE.

andam - this earth aNdak-kulaththukk adhi-pathi - the adhipathi (Master) of the people of this earth-- Sriman NaaraayaNaa asurar iraak-kadar - asuras and rakshasas iNdai kulaththai - the kulam (dynasty) of the asuras and rakshasas (iNdai kulam = iNdar +kulam) eduththu kaLaindha - destroyed irudee kEsan - Hrishee-kEsan thoNdak-kulam - thoNdar + kulam vandhu adi thozhudu - come and embrace the feet of Him paNdaik-kulaththaith-thavirndhu - cast aside of the old habits

In this paasuram, Azhwar invites those people, whose primary concern is wealth, to cast aside that habit and join him in singing paLLaaNdu to our Lord. Azhwar asks the people to cast aside their concern for wealth and join him in embracing the feet and sing paLLaaNdu to Hrishee-kEsa, the Lord of the world, who destroyed the asuras and rakshasas.

6: endhai thandhai thandhai thandhai-tham mooth-thappan, Ezhpadikaal-thodangi,

vandhu vazhi-vazhi-aat-saiginROm, thiruvONath-thiruvizhavil,

andhiyam pOdhil-ariyuruvaagi, ariyai-yazhiththavanai,

pandhanai-theerap pallaaNdu, pal-laayirath-thaaNdu-enRu paaduthamE.

This paasuram is said to be sung for the people who are addressed in the third paasuram (vaazhaatpattu). In this paasuram, those bhakthas tell the world their kainkaryam (service) to the Lord.

endhai thandhai thandhai thandhai-tham mooth-thappan - basically my father, his father... Ezhpadikaal-thodangi - for the past seven (ezhu) generations vandhu vazhi-vazhi-aat-saiginROm - we participate in the kainkaryam to the Lord thiruvONath-thiruvizhavil - on the sacred day of thiruvOnam (sravana) andhi ampOdhil - at the time of dusk ari uru aaki - the one who took the form of a lion (Lord Narasimha) ariyai-yazhiththavanai - the one who defeated the enemy (of Prahlaada) pandhanai-theerap paLLaaNdu - pal-laayirath-thaaNdu enRu paaduthamE - let us sing paLLaaNdu to Him.

7: theeyiR-polikinRa sensudaraazhi, thikazh thiruch-chakkaraththin,

kOyil-poRiyaalE-oRRuNdu n^inRu, kudikudi-aat-seyginROm,

maayap porupadai-vaaNanai, aayirandhOLum pozhi-kuruthi paaya

suzhaRRiya-aazhi vallaanukkup, paLLaaNdu kooRuthumE.

This paasuram sings paLLaaNdu to Lord Krishna who killed Baanaasuran with the chakram. theeyiR-polikinRa sensudaraazhi - the aazhi (chakram) that glows more than the sun, agni etc. made of fire kOyil - temple, in this case Azhwaar considers the chakram mark made on our arms during samaarshrayanam as a temple in which chakrathaazhwaan resides. maayap porupadai-vaaNanai - the one who performed a maya yudham (war), baaNaasuran aayiran thOLum pozhi kurudhi paaya - such that his blood flowed as a river from his 1000 shoulders suzhaRRiya aazhi vallaanukku - the one who made the chakram (literally, the one who used the chakram so as to...)

We (those who have the chakram mark on our arms, which is the temple where chakrathaazhwaan resides) have been performing kainkaryam to emperumaan. Let us do maNgalaasaasanam (basically, sing a pasuram on) on the one who used Chakrathaazhwaan to kill baaNaasuran.

8: neyyidai n^allathOr-sORum, niyathamum-aththaaNich sEvakamum,

kaiyadaik-kaayum kazhuth-thukkup-pooNodu, kaa-dukkuk-kuNdalamum

meyyida n^allathOr saandhamum-thandhu, ennai-veLLuyiraakka-valla,

paiyudai n^aagap-pagaik-kodiyaanukku, paLLaaNdu kooRuvanE.

This paasuram is said to be sung for those who are addressed in the fifth paasuram (aNdak kulathukku), those whose primary concern is wealth. Those people thank the Lord for having provided them with wealth and also the opportunity to do aththaaNi sEvakam to the Lord. neyyidai n^allathOr sORum, kaiyyidai kaayum, kazhuth-thukku pooNodu, kaa-dukkukuNdalamum - basically (gourmet) food, thamboolam, ornaments, meyyida n^allathOr saanthamum - santhanam (sandalwood paste) that is applied on the body veLL uyir aakka valla - one who made me into a saathveeka pai udai n^aakam pagai kodiyaan - the one who has the enemy of the naagas (Garuda) on His flag

I will sing paLLaaNdu to the One who changed me (who was a samsaari) into a saathveeka by giving the opportunity to perform aththaani sevakam, in addition to giving me all that I wanted (ornaments, thamboolam etc.)

9: uduththuk-kaLaindha nin-peedhaka-vaadai-yuduththuk, kalaththa-thuNdu,

thoduththa thuzhaay-malar soodik-kaLaindhana, soodum-ith-thoNdar-gaLOm,

viduththa thisaik-karumam-thiruth-thith, thiruvONath-thiruvizhavil,

paduththa pain-^n^aagaNaip-paLLi-koNdaanukkup, paLLaaNdu kooRuthumE.

This paasuram is said to be sung for those who are addressed in “Vaazhaatpattu” and “endhai thandhai”- i.e. those who were invited into the group in the third paasurams, the bhakthas.

Oh Lord! We wear the pitambaram that was worn by you; we eat the food that was presented to you (literally, we eat the remnants of the food that we present you with); we wear the thuzhaay (thulasi) garlands that were worn by you. We also carry out Your orders! We (who are your bhakthas-as described in the above three lines) do maNgalaassasanam to You (who is resting on the AdisEshaa) on the day of thiruvOnam.

10: en^n^aaL-emperumaan, un-danak-kadiyOm-enRezhuththup-patta van^n^aaLE,

adiyOngaL-adikkudil, veedupeRRu-uyndhathukaaN,

sen^n^aaL-thORRith, thiru-maduraiyuL silai-kunindu,

aindhalaiya pain-^n^aagath-thalai-paayn-dhavanE!, unnaip-paLLaaNdu kooRuthumE.

This paasuram celebrates the kindness of our Lord! This paasuram is said to be sung by the people (kaivalyaarthis) who are invited by our Azhwar in the 4th paasuram (Edu nilaththil), and who expressed their change in the 7th paasuram (Theeyir polikinra).

Oh Lord! from the day on which we surrendered to You, everything associated with us has been blessed with good times. We do maNgalaassasanam to You who was born on a good day and who bent the bow in vada Madura (dhanuryaagam in Krishnaavathaaram) and who danced on the heads of the five-headed serpent (kaliya).

11: alvazhak-konRumillaa, aNikOttiyar-kOn,

abimaana-thungan selvanaip-pOlath, thirumaalE! naanum-unakkup-pazhavadiyEn,

nalvagai-yaal n^amO-n^aaraayaNaa-venRu, naamam pala-paravi,

pal-vagai-yaalum pavith-thiranE!, unnaip-paLLaaNdu kooRuvanE. (2)

This paasuram is said to be sung by the aishvaryaadhees who are invited by our Azhwar in the 5th paasuram (aNdak kulaththukku), and who expressed their change in the 8th paasuram (neyyidai).

Sriya pathi! I have become your devotee judt like Selva Nambi, the leader of the thirukkOshtiyoor (who is abhimaanathungan, one who is held high because of his love for the daasaas of the Lord); Oh Pavitra! (pal-vagai-yaalum pavith-thiranE, one who is pure in all respects) I will do maNgalaassasanam by chanting your names and by singing namO NaaraayaNaa.

12: pallaaNdenRu pavith-thiranai, paramEttiyai, saarNGgam-ennum

villaaNdaan-thannai, villipuththoor vishnu-chiththan virumbiya-sol,

nallaaNdenRu-n^avinR-uraippaar, namO-n^aaraayaNaaya-venRu,

pallaaNdum-paramaath-manai ,soozhn-dhirundh-Eththuvar-pallaaNdE. (2)

This is the phala sruthi paasuram. It is the tradition for the last paasuram in a decade to elaborate on the benefits of reciting (not the right equivalent English word, in Tamil it is anusandhiththal) the paasurams of the decade.

Those who recite thirupaLLaaNdu ((that was sung by Periya Azhwaar with great joy starting with paLLaaNdu to the pure One who lives in Paramapadam (paramEshti- one who lives in Paramapadam)) with joy will attain the state of being close to Sriman NaaraayaNaa (in paramapadam) and doing maNgalaassasanam to Him eternally.

<!-- text below generated by server. PLEASE REMOVE --></OBJECT></LAYER>

</SPAN>........></NOSCRIPT></TABLE>.........></APPLET>........ language=JavaScript src="http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mc/mc.js">.........>........ src="http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mc/mc1.js">.........>........ src="http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mc/mc2.js">.........>........ language=JavaScript src="http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.com/lib/smb/js/hosting/cp/js_source/geov2_001.js">.........>........ language=javascript>geovisit();.........>pallandu.html&b=Microsoft%20Internet%20Explorer%204.0%20%28compatible%3B%20MSIE%206.0%3B%20Windows%20NT%205.0%29&s=1024x768&o=Win32&c=32&j=true&v=1.2 ..........>visit.gif?us1229753916</NOSCRIPT>serv?s=76001081&t=1229753916&f=us-w86