IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
melvin

Santo Nino de Cebu

Rate this topic

:namaskar:

I traveled all over the world looking for Krsna. Exhausted I went home. But before reaching home, I dropped by this house of worship and curious I went inside. As I watched the Icon before me, I began to cry. I was sobbing having realized that Krsna never left the place where I was born(www.santoninodecebu.org)

This is a great story. It is a fiction but it represents the mood of offering food to god in an innocent state of mind:

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Originally Posted by bhaktajan

I'm honored to introduce everyone to this story [it should be done by Bollywood — or maybe it's actually a story derived from a Puranic story]:

"Marcelino Pan y Vino" [lit. Marcelino, Bread and Wine] (aka The Miracle of Marcelino) is a 1955 Spanish film. It was a resounding international success, so much so that other countries have produced versions of it. There has been an Italian, a Filipino, a Japanese-French television series based on the movie. The story, although heavily revised and somewhat modernized in both the book and film, dates back to an old medieval legend, one of many gathered together in a volume by Alfonso el Sabio

Plot

The story revolves around Marcelino, a young child abandoned as a baby on the steps of a monastery in eighteenth-century Spain. After trying, and failing, to find his parents, the monks realize that he is an orphan, and after searching unsuccessfully for someone to adopt him, decide to raise the child themselves. Marcelino grows into a cute, well-meaning, but mischievous and lonely boy who is always innocently getting into trouble. He has been warned by the monks not to visit the monastery attic, where a supposed bogeyman lives, but he ventures upstairs anyway, sees the supposed bogeyman, and tears off back down the stairs.

At a festival, Marcelino unintentionally causes havoc when he accidentally lets some animals loose, and the new local mayor, whom the monks would not let adopt the child because of his coarse behavior, uses the incident as an excuse to try to shut down the monastery.

Given the silent treatment by the monks, Marcelino gathers up the courage to once again enter the attic, where he sees, not a bogeyman, but a beautiful statue of Christ on the Cross. Remarking that the statue looks hungry, Marcelino steals some bread and wine and offers it to the statue, which miraculously comes to life, descends from the Cross, and eats and drinks what the boy has brought him. Eventually, the statue becomes Marcelino's best friend and confidante and begins to give him religious instruction. For his part, Marcelino realizes that the statue is Christ.

The monks know something is strange when they notice bread and wine disappearing, and arrange to spy on Marcelino. One day, the statue notices that Marcelino is pensive and brooding instead of happy, and tells him that he would like to give him a reward for his kindness. Marcelino answers, "I want only to see my mother, [she had died] and to see Yours after that". The statue cradles Marcelino in its arms, tells Marcelino to sleep - and Marcelino dies happy.

The monks witness the miracle through a crack in the attic door, and burst in just in time to see the dead Marcelino bathed in a heavenly glow. The statue returns to its place on the Cross, and Marcelino is buried underneath the chapel and venerated by all who visit the now flourishing monastery-turned-shrine.

The main story is told in flashback, and bookended by a more modern story in which a monk (played by Fernando Rey) visits a sick, possibly dying, girl, and tells her the story of Marcelino for inspiration. The film ends with the monk entering the now completely remodeled chapel in the monastery during Mass, and saying to the crucifix once kept in the attic: "We have been speaking about you, O Lord,", and then, to Marcelino's grave, which is situated nearby, "And about you, too, Marcelino".

The story is said to have many symbolic meanings, but is usually just enjoyed as a quietly moving religious fable, although some have seen a sinister meaning in the fact that Marcelino virtually asks to die and Christ grants his wish. The film remains one of the most famous and successful foreign films of the mid 1950's.

Marcelino_pan_y_vino.jpg

:deal: :deal: :deal:

It`s true that Magellan, the Portugese navigator commissioned by the Queen of Spain to look for the spice islands in the fareast, gifted the Queen of Cebu with an icon of the Holy Infant Jesus in 1521. But the icon of the Holy Infant Jesus Miguel Legazpi`s men found in 1565 which they thought was the one given by Magellan to the Queen of Cebu inside a burnt hut was owned by an Indian. The color of this icon is black. The Santo Nino de Cebu (black) icon at present is kept inside the convent. The one being displayed inside a glass casing is the white Santo Nino de Cebu. In other words, there are two Santo Nino de Cebu icons being worshiped by the Cebuanos, the black and white. (www.santoninodecebu.org)

It`s true that Magellan, the Portugese navigator commissioned by the Queen of Spain to look for the spice islands in the fareast, gifted the Queen of Cebu with an icon of the Holy Infant Jesus in 1521. But the icon of the Holy Infant Jesus Miguel Legazpi`s men found in 1565 which they thought was the one given by Magellan to the Queen of Cebu inside a burnt hut was owned by an Indian. The color of this icon is black.The Santo Nino de Cebu (black) icon at present is kept inside the convent. The one being displayed inside a glass casing is the white Santo Nino de Cebu. In other words, there are two Santo Nino de Cebu icons being worshiped by the Cebuanos, the black and white.(www.santoninodecebu.org)

It`s true that Magellan, the Portugese navigator commissioned by the Queen of Spain to look for the spice islands in the fareast, gifted the Queen of Cebu with an icon of the Holy Infant Jesus in 1521. But the icon of the Holy Infant Jesus Miguel Legazpi`s men found in 1565 which they thought was the one given by Magellan to the Queen of Cebu inside a burnt hut was owned by an Indian. The color of this icon is black.The Santo Nino de Cebu (black) icon at present is kept inside the convent. The one being displayed inside a glass casing is the white Santo Nino de Cebu. In other words, there are two Santo Nino de Cebu icons being worshiped by the Cebuanos, the black and white.(www.santoninodecebu.org)

(www.philippines.hvu.nl/cebu5.htm)