IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
cbrahma

chanting

Rate this topic

It is the nature of the Hare Krsna mahä-mantra that anyone who chants it immediately develops his loving ecstasy for Krsna." Caitanya Caritamrta Adi 7.83)

This I have experienced but then there are sahajiyas who chant spontaneously , claiming to have ecstatic symptoms. I am concerned about this counterfeit and am not sure whether to maintain a chanting sadhana because I almost always experience sweetness. It is very unfortunate so I have stopped.

This I have experienced but then there are sahajiyas who chant spontaneously , claiming to have ecstatic symptoms. I am concerned about this counterfeit and am not sure whether to maintain a chanting sadhana because I almost always experience sweetness. It is very unfortunate so I have stopped.

Stopped? Stopped what exactly, chanting or claiming to have ecstatic symptoms?

Sad cbrahma. Just chant and take shelter of Lord's Nitaai-Gauranga. If you are a sincere follower of Srila Prabhupada Their Lordships will quickly cleanse you of imitation and the need for attention:).

TEXT 23

‘nityānanda’ balite haya kṛṣṇa-premodaya

āulāya sakala aṅga, aśru-gaṅgā vaya

TRANSLATION

Simply by talking of Nityānanda Prabhu one awakens his love for Kṛṣṇa. Thus all his bodily limbs are agitated by ecstasy, and tears flow from his eyes like the waters of the Ganges.

TEXT 27

premera udaye haya premera vikāra

sveda-kampa-pulakādi gadgadāśrudhāra

TRANSLATION

When one’s transcendental loving service to the Lord is actually awakened, it generates transformations in the body such as perspiration, trembling, throbbing of the heart, faltering of the voice and tears in the eyes.

PURPORT

These bodily transformations are automatically manifested when one is actually situated in love of Godhead. One should not artificially imitate them. Our disease is desire for that which is material; even while advancing in spiritual life, we want material acclaim. One must be freed from this disease. Pure devotion must be anyābhilāṣitā-śūnyam [bhakti-rasāmṛta-sindhu 1.1.11], without desire for anything material. Advanced devotees manifest many bodily transformations, which are symptoms of ecstasy, but one should not imitate them to achieve cheap adoration from the public. When one actually attains the advanced stage, the ecstatic symptoms will appear automatically; one does not need to imitate them.

TEXTS 29–30

hena kṛṣṇa-nāma yadi laya bahu-bāra

tabu yadi prema nahe, nahe aśrudhāra

tabe jāni, aparādha tāhāte pracura

kṛṣṇa-nāma-bīja tāhe nā kare aṅkura

TRANSLATION

If one chants the exalted holy name of the Lord again and again and yet his love for the Supreme Lord does not develop and tears do not appear in his eyes, it is evident that because of his offenses in chanting, the seed of the holy name of Kṛṣṇa does not sprout.

PURPORT

If one chants the Hare Kṛṣṇa mantra offensively, one does not achieve the desired result. Therefore one should carefully avoid the offenses, which have already been described in connection with verse 24.

TEXT 31

caitanya-nityānande nāhi esaba vicāra

nāma laite prema dena, vahe aśrudhāra

TRANSLATION

But if one only chants, with some slight faith, the holy names of Lord Caitanya and Nityānanda, very quickly he is cleansed of all offenses. Thus as soon as he chants the Hare Kṛṣṇa mahā-mantra, he feels the ecstasy of love for God.

Stopped? Stopped what exactly, chanting or claiming to have ecstatic symptoms?

No I didn't have ecstatic symptoms. I just felt happier than I ever felt in my life. I stopped chanting.

Oh, that makes a lot of sense! Take down your "Proceed With Caution" sign and get happy again, for cryin' out loud. I mean, who were you following when you chanted--the sahajiyas, or Srila Prabhupada? (Yeah, it's a rhetorical question.)

I understand cbrahma....making progress in chanting is very nice feeling. When we stop...maybe would should start again...especially if it makes us happy.:)

No I didn't have ecstatic symptoms. I just felt happier than I ever felt in my life. I stopped chanting.

Like Babhru said. Just pick up your beads again bro. Krishna says in the Gita that this process is joyfully performed.

Stopping chanting when you have a taste for it is not humility it is boneheadedness.

I wish I had a taste right now to even think about giving up. I am miserable and can't chant much and you are happy and quit. WTF?

BTW cabrahma even the sahajiyas make advancement by chanting the Holy Name. No one should ever stop under any circumstances or for any reason.

Hare Krishna

Just do it cbrahma.

When you wake up at night...call out Krsna. When you see the blue sky...call out Krsna. When you smile...call out Krsna.

When your mind is running wild....Krsna Krsna Krsna!

When we all get the poo poo's on this forum...Krsna Krsna Gaura Gaura Gaura Nitaai.

(if it makes ya happy):P

Oh, that makes a lot of sense! Take down your "Proceed With Caution" sign and get happy again, for cryin' out loud. I mean, who were you following when you chanted--the sahajiyas, or Srila Prabhupada? (Yeah, it's a rhetorical question.)

I would actually get up at 2:30 am and go to the LA Temple and attend the whole morning program and chant 12 rounds , 4 of which I would finish during the day. I was trying to follow SP. But when I get happy , it seems the ISKCON members get unhappy and start criticizing. I experienced this many times at differnt temples.

Like Babhru said. Just pick up your beads again bro. Krishna says in the Gita that this process is joyfully performed.

Stopping chanting when you have a taste for it is not humility it is boneheadedness.

I wish I had a taste right now to even think about giving up. I am miserable and can't chant much and you are happy and quit. WTF?

BTW cabrahma even the sahajiyas make advancement by chanting the Holy Name. No one should ever stop under any circumstances or for any reason.

Hare Krishna

I am told that to think you have attraction is sahajiya.

I would actually get up at 2:30 am and go to the LA Temple and attend the whole morning program and chant 12 rounds , 4 of which I would finish during the day. I was trying to follow SP. But when I get happy , it seems the ISKCON members get unhappy and start criticizing. I experienced this many times at differnt temples.
Well, it's too damned bad so many devotees don't see it as their life to encourage others to chant Hare Krishna. We've seen many signs here that you don't care much for what ISKCON folks say about so many things; why worry about what they say about this? To heck with 'em! Go for it! Srila Prabhupada's line was "Chant Hare Krishna, and your life will be sublime." Chant and be happy. Too many of your posts here sound like they come from an unhappy person, and now we know why. It doesn't have to be that way.

The key to spiritual progress is good association, devotees who are fixed in their practice, like minded, and affectionate. Do whatever you can to find such association, and don't worry about what anyone says.

Another tip, if I may: You may find that Tripurari Maharaja's book Siksatakam of Sri Caitanya encourages you in your chanting, too.

Be kind to yourself, dear friend.

Well, it's too damned bad so many devotees don't see it as their life to encourage others to chant Hare Krishna. We've seen many signs here that you don't care much for what ISKCON folks say about so many things; why worry about what they say about this? To heck with 'em! Go for it! Srila Prabhupada's line was "Chant Hare Krishna, and your life will be sublime." Chant and be happy. Too many of your posts here sound like they come from an unhappy person, and now we know why. It doesn't have to be that way.

The key to spiritual progress is good association, devotees who are fixed in their practice, like minded, and affectionate. Do whatever you can to find such association, and don't worry about what anyone says.

Another tip, if I may: You may find that Tripruari Maharaja's book Siksatakam of Sri Caitanya encourages you in your chanting, too.

Be kind to yourself, dear friend.

I don't know where you get the impression that I'm sooo unhappy. Because I criticize ISKCON? That's standard practice on this forum. Association without envy, I have found to be next to impossible. I guess that's the real issue. So much attention to 'advancement' and diksa and all the religious accoutrements. It's too much really.

Another tip, if I may: You may find that Tripruari Maharaja's book Siksatakam of Sri Caitanya encourages you in your chanting, too. by stonehearted

Yes, it is a lovely book for sure.

You know cbrahma, there are so many things to be despondent about when we are on our own ( we are by nature made for relations). In a way the dream of a open-society failed I feel. It has for me anyhow. My Iskcon dream is basically dead now. What to do? Pick up the bead bag a little each day, read some literature that inspires us...and for god's sake be grateful for what we do have.

Otherwise we will end up being bitter fruit, with no sweetness.

Once we know who we are (to some degree), we will care less what others think of us. Only the Lord truly knows our hearts cbrahma. Only if we could peel back all the layers that cover ourself, and only if we could allow that self to appear without fear...we may be quite surprised. It may be very gentle, very soft, and very simple and childlike in there! This world may not be ready for such beauty!

Didn't Srila Gurudeva say 'this world is not fit for gentleman'.

Yes, it is a lovely book for sure.

You know cbrahma, there are so many things to be despondent about when we are on our own ( we are by nature made for relations). In a way the dream of a open-society failed I feel. It has for me anyhow. My Iskcon dream is basically dead now. What to do? Pick up the bead bag a little each day, read some literature that inspires us...and for god's sake be grateful for what we do have.

Otherwise we will end up being bitter fruit, with no sweetness.

Once we know who we are (to some degree), we will care less what others think of us. Only the Lord truly knows our hearts cbrahma. Only if we could peel back all the layers that cover ourself, and only if we could allow that self to appear without fear...we may be quite surprised. It may be very gentle, very soft, and very simple and childlike in there! This world may not be ready for such beauty!

Didn't Srila Gurudeva say 'this world is not fit for gentleman'.

I can find friends. Material firiends. And there are my Christian godbrothers and godsisters who BTW are much friendlier and welcoming than any devotee who isn't on the sell.

Association without envy, I have found to be next to impossible. by cbrahma

Sad really, envy. If our brother is in total joy in KC...we would be miserable to not be happy for him. A miser for sure.

Maybe we need to find sangha which is conducive to our mood...and reject all else that is unfavorable to our devotion. Even if that means leaving some institution where we have placed all our dreams and hopes for so many years. That would take some courage. But as one door closes, often another opens.

I can find friends. Material firiends. And there are my Christian godbrothers and godsisters who BTW are much friendlier and welcoming than any devotee who isn't on the sell. by cbrahma

Yes. Some of these christian people can be much more simple and welcoming than some complex devotees full of doctrine. Very human - maybe that is the uniqueness of the message of christ, hey?

That type of spirituality is much different than transcendentalism from eastern paths. Christian writers such as Thomas Merton and Bede Griffiths paint a picture of this human face of God very nicely - God become man. No other spiritual path shows that 'facet' of God's beauty as does christianity in such a unique way. That is why I accept Jesus as bonafide empowered incarnation - adding to the fullness of God's mercy to man.

(no flaming please)

There is a wonderful book which I strongly recommend reading. I feel it is a wonderful vision of christianity.

Le Mileu Divin by Pierre Teilhard de Chardin.

"Living in God is like living in the air we breathe. God is the atmosphere, the environment, the divine milieu in which we spend our lives."

"At present, many of the cells of this Christ Body are unaware of their divine calling, unaware of how special they are in the eyes of God, and unconscious of the fact that they are already living their lives as part of this Cosmic Body. For Teilhard, this Cosmic Body is meant to become fully conscious of itself in every cell of its being in such a way that every cell is also conscious of the whole Body’s magnificent destiny. When this Christ Body realizes itself as the divine reality it has always been meant to be, that moment will be what Teilhard calls the Omega Point. (See Rev 1:8)"

http://www.teilhardforbeginners.com/

There is a wonderful book which I strongly recommend reading. I feel it is a wonderful vision of christianity.

Le Mileu Divin by Pierre Teilhard de Chardin.

http://www.teilhardforbeginners.com/divinemilieau.html

"Living in God is like living in the air we breathe. God is the atmosphere, the environment, the divine milieu in which we spend our lives."

"At present, many of the cells of this Christ Body are unaware of their divine calling, unaware of how special they are in the eyes of God, and unconscious of the fact that they are already living their lives as part of this Cosmic Body. For Teilhard, this Cosmic Body is meant to become fully conscious of itself in every cell of its being in such a way that every cell is also conscious of the whole Body’s magnificent destiny. When this Christ Body realizes itself as the divine reality it has always been meant to be, that moment will be what Teilhard calls the Omega Point. (See Rev 1:8)"

http://www.teilhardforbeginners.com/

I've read it. He got in trouble with the Vatican of course.

lol, yes sir he did! Lucky they didn't burn him (they would have a few hundred years earlier)

His vision is progressive, and gives abundant life - a great hope for the future. Tradition may often try to stop such forward movement. We must remember he wrote it around 30-40 years before the Vatican 2 council.

lol, yes sir he did! Lucky they didn't burn him (they would have a few hundred years earlier)

His vision is progressive, and gives abundant life - a great hope for the future. Tradition may often try to stop such forward movement. We must remember he wrote it around 30-40 years before the Vatican 2 council.

He's still on the Vatican's Index Librorum Prohibitorum. I guess that's all we need - another big book bonfire. Farenheit 451

I am told that to think you have attraction is sahajiya.

That is absurd. be careful who you listen to. Sahajiya means they have no real attraction but think and act like they do.

One sahajiya reportedly dressed up like a gopi or Radharani and went running around Vrndavan crying "Krishna Krishna where are you?", like he was in the mood of separation or something.

You are a pretty levelheaded guy and are nothing like a sahajiya. Krishna is giving you some inkling of a taste to let you now you are on the right path and to encourqage you to chant more You are fortunate.

Be very careful who you tell these inner things to. The envious will try to sabotage your good fortune by calling you a sahajiya or something. It is very rare for someone to come into our lives who only want the best for us. Best to keep your pearls in your vest pocket close to your heart and feign poverty if pressed then to let the envious walk all over your gems.

That is absurd. be careful who you listen to. Sahajiya means they have no real attraction but think and act like they do.

One sahajiya reportedly dressed up like a gopi or Radharani and went running around Vrndavan crying "Krishna Krishna where are you?", like he was in the mood of separation or something.

You are a pretty levelheaded guy and are nothing like a sahajiya. Krishna is giving you some inkling of a taste to let you now you are on the right path and to encourqage you to chant more You are fortunate.

Be very careful who you tell these inner things to. The envious will try to sabotage your good fortune by calling you a sahajiya or something. It is very rare for someone to come into our lives who only want the best for us. Best to keep your pearls in your vest pocket close to your heart and feign poverty if pressed then to let the envious walk all over your gems.

he Golden Volcano of Divine Love

by Srila Bhakti Raksaka Sridhara Maharaja

At the same time, we must guard ourselves from an insincere conception of our own devotion; this is our enemy. To think, "I do not have the least liking or taste for the Lord," is all right. But to think, "I have some taste, some earnestness, some devotion for the Lord," is dangerous.

Yes but the symptom of that sort of real humility is not to stop chanting but to to to chant with more intense sincere feeling.

We have to judge a thing by it's result. Is the result of humility to stop chanting? Lord Caitanya teaches that only from the position of humility can one chant the name of the Lord constantly, non-stop.