IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
gauragopala dasa

June 14 1983, An Historical Auspicious Event In Iskcon History

Rate this topic

The day Australia became Krishna Conscious

A quarter of a century ago today (June 14 1983) Hari Sauri Prabhu and the Aussi devotees organised the distribution of 1.6 million magazines to go out as a lift out called ‘The wonderful world of Hare Krishnain one day that was inserted in all the Australian major Newspapers! To this day, this is still the biggest distribution of magazines in ISKCON's short History.

The after effect was even more incredible because not only was our magazine flooding the paper media, but also there were hundreds of radio talk back shows discussing the magazine.

That night I will never forget because ever Television network around the County covered 'The Wonderful World Of Hare Krishna Magazine insert ' and the effect it had on unsuspecting Australian citizens.

The ABC showed all the Politicians in the Nations Capital in Canberra and there was the newly elected Prime Minister the Right Honourable Robert James Lee (Bob) Hawke reading through ‘The Wonderful World Of Hare Krishna’.

Over the following week there were editorials, more Radio talk back, and two mini documenters on the New Govardhana farm that went nation wide and even ‘Playboy Magazine’ did an article on the benefits of chanting Hare Krishna and eating Krishna Prasadam.

Further more, Doctor surgeries, Dentists, clubs, eateries, Shopping Malls, Football clubs, hospitals, and even police stations and jails, ALL had the magazine circulating around for everyone to see. They could not ignore it because the magazine was there right in front of them and most picked it up to satisfy their inquisitiveness ”Wow, what is this beautifully presented magazine’ many ‘million’ would ask.

In short, the teachings of Krishna Consciousness reached ALL sections of society on that special winters day, 25 years ago today. June 14th 1983 will forever be a day to remember in the annals of ISKCON’s History of Book distribution.

ThisIsMyRequest-200x250.jpg

• Now I am trying for printing arrangement and this book also can be nicely printed provided you take charge of distribution. I am very much anxious for sale of my books. It has to be organized; please think over this matter. If the books are not properly sold how can I print so many books? [Letter to Kirtanananda, 27 April 1967]

• Although I am practically on the path of death, still I cannot forget about my publications. I wish that if I live or die you should take very serious care for my publications. [Letter to Hayagriva, 10 June 1967]

• When these books arrive to your Montreal Temple, it will be great service if you can help your god-brothers in arranging for widespread sales of these books. We are writing so many literatures and this is very good, but also we must make arrangements for distribution to the public at large. [Letter to Jayapataka, 1 December 1968]

• You are trying for the new Temple, but our main business is Sankirtana and distribution of literature. If Krishna gives us a better place, that is all right. Otherwise we can remain at any place never mind hell or heaven; but we shall only be very cautious about propagating our Sankirtana movement. [Letter to Madhudvisa, 26 March 1970]

• And then we take the books and publish them in French and German languages. My Guru Maharaja liked the publication of books very nice. He liked publications of books more than construction of Temples. [Letter to Tamal Krishna, 15 May 1970]

• I am very glad to know that your sales of our literature and books are very good and improving more. It is natural that such distribution of literatures should increase as the people hear more about Krishna Consciousness Movement, so distribution of our books and literatures is our major propaganda program. [Letter to Hamsaduta, 29 June 1970]

• Whenever I get report of my book selling I feel strength. Even now in this weakened condition I have got strength from your report. You should know that in this work you have Krishna's blessings. [Letter to Satsvarupa, 8 September 1974]

• The book sales are very encouraging, increasing, increasing. It is very good news. Thank you, I want this. Record selling is temporary... A book sold becomes a permanent matter for enjoyment. We read the scriptures again and again and it is still fresh; when there is time, I go on reading my own books. [Letter to Hamsaduta, 1 October 1974]

• Whatever progress we have made, it is simply due to distributing the books. So go on, and do not divert your mind for a moment from this. [Letter to Ramesvara, 11 October 1974]

• If there is any credit to my activities of translating, it is all due to His Divine Grace [bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura]. Certainly if His Divine Grace were personally present at this time, it would have been a great occasion for jubilation, but even though he is not physically present, I am confident that he is very much pleased by this work of translation. He was very fond of seeing many books published to spread the Krishna Consciousness Movement. Therefore our society, The International Society for Krishna Consciousness [iSKCON], has been formed to execute the order of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and His Divine Grace Srila Bhaktsiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura. [Concluding words to Sri Caitanya caritamrta]

• Print as many books as possible, this is my real pleasure. By printing these books of our Krishna Conscious philosophy in so many languages we can actually inject our movement into the masses of persons all over the world, especially there in the Western countries and we can literally turn whole nations into Krishna Conscious nations. [Letter to Hrdayananda, 21 December 1974]

• In spite of war Srimad Bhagavatam will be distributed. We don't care about war, our preaching business will go on. [Letter to Radhavallabha, 21 August 1975]

• Simply read my books and repeat what I have written then your preaching will be perfect. [Letter to Ksirodakasayi, 4 September 1975]

• The Sankirtana devotees are very dear to Krishna. Because you are doing the field work of book distribution, Krishna has immediately recognized them as true servants. Just like during war time, a farm boy or ordinary clerk who goes to fight for his country on the front immediately becomes a national hero for his sincere effort. So Krishna immediately recognizes a preacher of Krishna Consciousness who takes all risk to deliver His message. [Letter to Uttamasloka, 11 December 1975]

• Books are the basis of our Movement. Whatever appreciation we are getting on account of our books, it is because we are following the path chalked out by exalted devotees. We are not writing something whimsical. [Letter to Tusta-Krishna, 9 January 1976]

• The results show that there is no limit to our book distribution. Our books are qualified to be distributed unlimitedly. [Letter to Ramesvara, 18 January 1976]

• The main thing is to distribute books more and more. [Letter to Balavanta, 4 October 1976]

• Preaching means book distribution. [Room Conversation, Bombay, 31 December 1976]

• This, our book distribution, is the most important task in our society. Therefore I am giving so much stress and I am working so hard on this. Because this is my life and soul according to the order of my Guru Maharaja. And by his grace it is to some extent successful. And I took it seriously. I take it seriously still now. That is my life and soul. I never tried in India to construct big temples or even in your country we didn't. I never tried. But I was selling personally books. That is the history. [Room Conversation, Bombay, 31 December 1976]

• I want that every respectable person has a full set of Bhagavatam and Caitanya Caritamrta in his home. [Letter to Drdhavrata, 24 January 1977]

• Be assured that there is no more direct way to preach than to distribute Krishna conscious books. Whoever gets a book is benefited. If he reads the book he is benefited still more, or if he gives the book to someone else for reading, both he and the other person is benefited. Even if one does not read the book but simply holds it and sees it, he is benefited. If he simply gives small donation towards the work of Krishna consciousness he is benefited. And anyone who distributes these transcendental literatures, he is also benefited. Therefore Sankirtana is the prime benediction for the age. [Letter to German disciples, 6 May 1977]