IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guruvani

Prabhupada reveals he is nitya-siddha

Rate this topic

In this purport, Srila Prabhupada mentions his own life and example as comparing to the life of a nitya-siddha. This is one of the places in the writings of Srila Prabhupada where he reveals that he is a nitya-siddha.

Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 3.2.2

From his very birth, Uddhava was a natural devotee of Lord Kṛṣṇa, or a nitya-siddha, a liberated soul. From natural instinct he used to serve Lord Kṛṣṇa, even in his childhood. He used to play with dolls in the form of Kṛṣṇa, he would serve the dolls by dressing, feeding and worshiping them, and thus he was constantly absorbed in the play of transcendental realization. These are the signs of an eternally liberated soul. An eternally liberated soul is a devotee of the Lord who never forgets Him. Human life is meant for reviving one's eternal relation with the Lord, and all religious injunctions are meant for awakening this dormant instinct of the living entity. The sooner this awakening is brought about, the quicker the mission of human life is fulfilled. In a good family of devotees, the child gets the opportunity to serve the Lord in many ways. A soul who is already advanced in devotional service has the opportunity to take birth in such an enlightened family. This is confirmed in the Bhagavad-gītā (6.41). Śucīnāḿ śrīmatāḿ gehe yoga-bhraṣṭo 'bhijāyate: even the fallen devotee gets the opportunity to take his birth in the family of a well-situated brāhmaṇa or in a rich, well-to-do mercantile family. In both these families there is a good opportunity to revive one's sense of God consciousness automatically because particularly in these families the worship of Lord Kṛṣṇa is regularly performed and the child gets the opportunity to imitate the process of worship called arcanā.

The pāñcarātrikī formula for training persons in devotional service is temple worship, whereby the neophytes get the opportunity to learn devotional service to the Lord. Mahārāja Parīkṣit also used to play with Kṛṣṇa dolls in his childhood. In India the children in good families are still given dolls of the Lord like Rāma and Kṛṣṇa, or sometimes the demigods, so that they may develop the aptitude of service to the Lord. By the grace of the Lord we were given the same opportunity by our parents, and the beginning of our life was based on this principle.

In this purport, Srila Prabhupada mentions his own life and example as comparing to the life of a nitya-siddha. This is one of the places in the writings of Srila Prabhupada where he reveals that he is a nitya-siddha.

Maybe I'm just being dim, but I don't see Srila Prabhupada making any overt mention of himself here. Would you care to point out specifically that to which you refer?

Maybe I'm just being dim, but I don't see Srila Prabhupada making any overt mention of himself here. Would you care to point out specifically that to which you refer?

You must have stopped before you read the last line of the quote.

I expected better from a bright young rising star as your good self.;)

Yep. I was just being dim. :)

Still, Srila Prabhupada mentions an "opportunity". He's not claiming anything unseemly.

My friends and I grew up in similar circumstances as far as our bed-time stories and playthings, but many of us have gravitated towards sense-enjoyment more than we have gravitated towards devotion.

An opportunity does not a nitya-siddha make (though how else can we consider Srila Prabhupada except to be eternally-liberated?).

You must have stopped before you read the last line of the quote.

I expected better from a bright young rising star as your good self.;)

Yep. I was just being dim. :)

Still, Srila Prabhupada mentions an "opportunity". He's not claiming anything unseemly.

My friends and I grew up in similar circumstances as far as our bed-time stories and playthings, but many of us have gravitated towards sense-enjoyment more than we have gravitated towards devotion.

An opportunity does not a nitya-siddha make (though how else can we consider Srila Prabhupada except to be eternally-liberated?).

You could very well be a nitya-siddha.

I wouldn't discount that for a minute.

My guess is that you are.

Myself, I am kripa-siddha, so don't get your ego all outta whack!;):D

An opportunity does not a nitya-siddha make

Srila Prabhupada was mentioning "nitya-siddhas" in that purport.

The purport was for the most part about nitya-siddhas.

In the end he mentioned his own life.

I thrive on the subtle suggestions.

There are many hidden jewels in the teachings of the masters.:)

Perhaps he left that bit there for those with the eyes to see (such as yourself).

Usually, Srila Prabhupada's method was to show by example, wasn't it?

Srila Prabhupada was mentioning "nitya-siddhas" in that purport.

The purport was for the most part about nitya-siddhas.

In the end he mentioned his own life.

I thrive on the subtle suggestions.

There are many hidden jewels in the teachings of the masters.:)

Perhaps he left that bit there for those with the eyes to see (such as yourself).

Usually, Srila Prabhupada's method was to show by example, wasn't it?

His birth in a family of pure devotees is a good example.

I have seen more than one hint in the books of Srila Prabhupada that he is a nitya-siddha.

But, nitya-siddhas come to do missionary work in the material world.

We'll have to wait a while to see if you also meet that criteria.

Birth in a family of devotees is a good sign.

Let's see if you become a big, big missionary for Mahaprabhu and fulfill your nitya-siddha responsibilities.:D

I detect a very deep connection and current in you.

Nitya-siddha is not out of the question as far as I am concerned.

But, if you keep dogging me, nitya-siddha or not I am going to put you in check.:D

But, if you keep dogging me, nitya-siddha or not I am going to put you in check.:D

Well, I'm really here to *learn* from senior Vaishnavas such as yourself--that's why I try to ask lots of questions.

Of course, as with any dog, I do appreciate the occasional pat on the head or belly rub.

Well, I'm really here to *learn* from senior Vaishnavas such as yourself--that's why I try to ask lots of questions.

You probably won't learn much from me except how to tolerate ruffians that are coarse and crude.

However, that is a good lesson to learn for any of us.

You have corrected my spelling a few times.

But, I graduated High School with the lowest grade average in the graduating class, so you shouldn't expect much outta me as far as proper spelling and grammar is concerned.

I got up at 4:00 o'clock in the morning to deliver the morning newspaper around town all through High School and then I went to school and slept on my desk.

I didn't do to well with that program in High School.

At least you stayed awake for Bhagavatam class!!!

You probably won't learn much from me except how to tolerate ruffians that are coarse and crude.

However, that is a good lesson to learn for any of us.

You have corrected my spelling a few times.

But, I graduated High School with the lowest grade average in the graduating class, so you shouldn't expect much outta me as far as proper spelling and grammar is concerned.

I got up at 4:00 o'clock in the morning to deliver the morning newspaper around town all through High School and then I went to school and slept on my desk.

I didn't do to well with that program in High School.