IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Jogeshwar Mahanta

Is health non-spiritual

Rate this topic

I don't agree. Health shows how your soul is, in my opinion. If you're obese, chances are that you are eating too much and you are also eating the wrong foods. In the Bhagavad Gita, we are warned against doing both. If you are obese, also, then chances are you don't exercise. This is laziness, something we are also warned against in our Scriptures. If you are underweight, chances are you aren't eating enough, which we are warned about in the Bhagavad Gita.

Complications, diseases, and problems can occur if we are obese or underweight, and in the case of STDs if we just have sex with anyone and everyone. We are warned (obviously) against doing so in our Scriptures.

Remember that the cases that I use as examples are for people who aren't in any way pressured to be overweight, underweight, eat bad foods, etc. The cases are only for people who are able to stop what they're doing.

Suta Gosvami said:

TRANSLATION SB 1.2.10

Life's desires should never be directed toward sense gratification. One should desire only a healthy life, or self-preservation, since a human being is meant for inquiry about the Absolute Truth. Nothing else should be the goal of one's works.

Health for the body in and of itself is not spiritual. Having a healthy body and using that healthy body in one's quest for spiritual knowledge and devotional service is a very desireable thing.

If we have a car that we use daily in our particular devotional service we should take good care of that car, keeping it tuned up and clean and in good repair. This is just common sense. To neglect the maintanence of the car and seeing it as mundane is renounciation in the mood of ignorance. Similarily to neglect the physical body (our present vehicle for devotional practice) as mudane is also in the mood of ignorance.

There is a trap set for sadhakas by maya. It is the trap of false renounciation and imitation of great souls like some Gosvamis who could live on a little butter and a handful of uncooked rice. We must act according to our own level.

In the present time of world wide contamination we need to be more careful than ever of our health and take care of these bodies. It's our duty as these bodies belong to Krsna and we are charged with their maintenance.

Of course many disease states are unavoidable, they come with the territory. Devotional service is not dependent on the health of the body. We have the example of Krsnadas Kaviraja that shows us that. But we should do our best while accepting the unavoidable as in Krsna's hands.

Dear theist,

I think, you are yet to touch the issue. Arjuna Haridas does not agree with World Health Organisation. I could not know whether or not you agree.

Next, if you disagree then why none has objected to WHO? Please join the issue.

regards

Don't know for sure but the World Health Organization seems to be another bunch of so called philanthropists that think they can make material conditions better without invoking God or Krsna. It seems these kinds of things don't usually work very well and they just create another beaurocracy where the beaurocrats get rich and the people don't benefit much or at all.

Don't know for sure but the World Health Organization seems to be another bunch of so called philanthropists that think they can make material conditions better without invoking God or Krsna. It seems these kinds of things don't usually work very well and they just create another beaurocracy where the beaurocrats get rich and the people don't benefit much or at all.

That's a cynical--but very valid--criticism of the UN and it's subsidiary organizations. In general, it's true (not just in the realm of NGOs).

Another thing to consider is the American ideal of separation of church and state. The UN is strongly influenced by US values.

Of course, one must point out that spirituality and religion can be and are two separate things. It seems WHO could support spiritual well-being without having to endorse any particular religious system.

Health for the body in and of itself is not spiritual. Having a healthy body and using that healthy body in one's quest for spiritual knowledge and devotional service is a very desireable thing.

Good points.

While it's true that we are better able to focus on sadhana (spiritual discipline) when our bodies are healthy, it's also true that, for many of us, thoughts of God only pop into our heads when we are in distress (whether mental, physical, or...).

Truly, if we see our bodies as temples of the Lord, we will care for them better than if we see them as vehicles for our sense enjoyment.

Dear theist,

I think, you are yet to touch the issue. Arjuna Haridas does not agree with World Health Organisation. I could not know whether or not you agree.

Next, if you disagree then why none has objected to WHO? Please join the issue.

regards

Well WHO is not an important issue to me. What they think or say has influence in the world I know but not with me. I thought the issue of health in regards to spirtiual life however to be a good topic.

Of course if you can influence WHO to a higher level of understanding that would be a very good service. As a Dr. they would be likely to hear you out but someone like myself they would not spend a moment on my thoughts.

I am more concerned with my more immediate brothers and sisters with whom I am fortunate to chat with here.

Well WHO is not an important issue to me. What they think or say has influence in the world I know but not with me. I thought the issue of health in regards to spirtiual life however to be a good topic.

This is an example of what I was thinking but did not say--most people just don't *care* about the WHO--especially spiritually-minded folks.

I, on the other hand, have some *concern* for the activities of the WHO. Particularly where bird flu is concerned, but also in the general area of immunizations.

There was a presentation on bird flu by the staff of our County Health department that I happened to hear. The presentation was balanced and pointed out that keeping one's immune system healthy is the most important thing to do to keep from getting the potentially fatal bird flu. On the other hand, the WHO's position was also presented--that the government should participate in spending $1,000,000,000 to buy Tamiflu from Roche Pharmaceuticals.

Now, a billion dollars may not seem like much when compared to how much the US is spending on war, but it seems silly to me to spend a billion dollars on a perishable product (one year shelf life if I recall) which we may never use and which we might be better off not using in the first place. That billion dollars could be spent on programs for health education and preventative medicine.

So, most of us will happily ignore the WHO (nothing wrong with that--as long as you're focused on Krishna :)), but some consider them to be a pretty sinister force in the world.

Yes, but when one has a tooth infection, it's very hard to focus on anything else.

It ain't that bad.

I have a molar that is rotting out because I don't have money to go to the dentist.

It hurt for a few weeks, but nature runs her course and eventually the nerve goes dead and it stops hurting.:D

But, I did take care of my teeth for years.

In that last few months I have been in a financial slump and I can't afford a dentist.:crying2:

When things were falling apart for my wife and I, I let my teeth go (and binged on vitamin C's at night)--despite having health insurance.

The pain got to be pretty unbearable.

While *sadhana* might be affected by that sort of pain, it certainly *did* reinforce that these bodies are all too temporary and are not necessarily the best places to be in the long-term.

It ain't that bad.

I have a molar that is rotting out because I don't have money to go to the dentist.

It hurt for a few weeks, but nature runs her course and eventually the nerve goes dead and it stops hurting.:D

But, I did take care of my teeth for years.

In that last few months I have been in a financial slump and I can't afford a dentist.:crying2:

When things were falling apart for my wife and I, I let my teeth go (and binged on vitamin C's at night)--despite having health insurance.

The pain got to be pretty unbearable.

While *sadhana* might be affected by that sort of pain, it certainly *did* reinforce that these bodies are all too temporary and are not necessarily the best places to be in the long-term.

I have used myrrh gum for years to deal with tooth problems.

I don't know why it works but it has helped me on several occasions to stop tooth pain.

Also, you have to floss them bad teeth because the infection is the big problem, not so much the cavity.

Good flossing and myrrh gum can get you through a cavity with minimal pain.

I have a back molar that just broke off and the filling fell out the other day, but it doesn't bother me because I floss and use myrrh gum to keep down infection.

I am a peanut muncher, so I have been hard on my teeth with all the peanut munching.

I could practically live on peanuts!:D

I have used myrrh gum for years to deal with tooth problems.

I don't know why it works but it has helped me on several occasions to stop tooth pain.

Also, you have to floss them bad teeth because the infection is the big problem, not so much the cavity.

Good flossing and myrrh gum can get you through a cavity with minimal pain.

I have a back molar that just broke off and the filling fell out the other day, but it doesn't bother me because I floss and use myrrh gum to keep down infection.

I am a peanut muncher, so I have been hard on my teeth with all the peanut munching.

I could practically live on peanuts!:D

I think I am allergic to peanuts or something because I get real sick if I eat a lot of them.

I think I am allergic to peanuts or something because I get real sick if I eat a lot of them.

Peanut allergy is a real problem for some people.

But, they can't even eat just a half a peanut or they go into severe illness.

Sounds like you just have a problem digesting peanuts because they are so hard and do not get chewed-up as good as they should.

I like unsalted roasted in the shell.

I rarely eat salted peanuts unless I am on the road and just grabbing a snack from the convenience store.

But, if the world was coming to an end and I needed to stock up on survival food I would stockpile dry roasted peanuts.:D

Ah, the good ole days! I used to crack open the sealed pistachio nuts (the ones where you can't just use your fingers) with my teeth. Or, I used to always tear the plastic tag-holders off my new clothes with my teeth (despite my Grandma's stern warnings).

I'm not so cavalier these days!

Ah, the good ole days! I used to crack open the sealed pistachio nuts (the ones where you can't just use your fingers) with my teeth. Or, I used to always tear the plastic tag-holders off my new clothes with my teeth (despite my Grandma's stern warnings).

I'm not so cavalier these days!

Already?

You must be falling apart fairly early.:D

I was in my late fourties before I had to start slowing down a little.

Even in my early 50's I have worked circles around many young people.

But, in the last couple of years I have started to slow down a little.

I haven't been doing anything for the last 6 months and I am getting fat and falling apart.

I need to get back to some physical work before I wither up and fall apart.

(for me 180lbs is fat and I am 6' tall)

Gimme some sudra work.

Otherwise, I will fall apart and become a spineless blob.

Just the teeth (so far)!!

I'm 6'2" and weigh about 165 lbs (with only 5lbs fluctuation, typically).

A few years ago, I started busting buttons on my pants, so I resumed running (I thought wrestling with the kids was enough exercise before that). I only get out twice a week, but it makes a big difference for me in terms of mental and physical health!

Still, I've had three co-workers pass on in the past two years or so--one from vCJD (Mad Cow Disease), one from mouth cancer (smoker), and another from uterine cancer.

Sitting in front of a computer for 8-10 hours a day is not what these bodies were meant to do!! If I was smarter, I'd be doing Hari Nama Sankirttan on the street each day at lunch!

Already?

You must be falling apart fairly early.:D

I was in my late fourties before I had to start slowing down a little.

Even in my early 50's I have worked circles around many young people.

But, in the last couple of years I have started to slow down a little.

I haven't been doing anything for the last 6 months and I am getting fat and falling apart.

I need to get back to some physical work before I wither up and fall apart.

(for me 180lbs is fat and I am 6' tall)

Gimme some sudra work.

Otherwise, I will fall apart and become a spineless blob.

Health, as defined by WHO, is neither spiritual nor non-spiritual in itself. What we do for a good health and what we do after having good health determine whether health is spiritual or not.

Of course if you can influence WHO to a higher level of understanding that would be a very good service. As a Dr. they would be likely to hear you out but someone like myself they would not spend a moment on my thoughts.

I am more concerned with my more immediate brothers and sisters with whom I am fortunate to chat with here.

Thank you dear.

Well what percentage of people here have come for TP means time pass and what percentage of people have come here for TU means time utilization?

What is your best guess?

regards