IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

Scientific?

Rate this topic

SB 1.1.8 - And because you are submissive, your spiritual masters have endowed you with all the favors bestowed upon a gentle disciple. Therefore you can tell us all that you have scientifically learned from them.

Main Entry: sci·ence audio.gif

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin scientia, from scient-, sciens having knowledge, from present participle of scire to know; perhaps akin to Sanskrit chyati he cuts off, Latin scindere to split -- more at SHED

1 : the state of knowing : knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding

2 a : a department of systematized knowledge as an object of study ....e science of theology> b : something (as a sport or technique) that may be studied or learned like systematized knowledge <have it down to a science>

3 a : knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method

Completely rejecting all religious activities which are materially motivated, this Bhagavata Purana propounds the highest truth, which is understandable by those devotees who are fully pure in heart. The highest truth is reality distinguished from illusion for the welfare of all. Such truth uproots the threefold miseries. This beautiful Bhagavatam, compiled by the great sage Vyasadeva [in his maturity], is sufficient in itself for God realization. What is the need of any other scripture? As soon as one attentively and submissively hears the message of Bhagavatam, by this culture of knowledge the Supreme Lord is established within his heart. SB 1.1.2

1 : the state of knowing : knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding

In this way the Srimad Bhagavatam is scientific.

Guest guest

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Srimad Bhagavatam 1.1.8

vettha tvam saumya tat sarvam

tattvatas tad-anugrahat

bruyuh snigdhasya sishyasya

guravo guhyam apy uta

SYNONYMS

vettha -- you are well conversant; tvam -- Your Honor; saumya -- one who is pure and simple; tat -- those; sarvam -- all; tattvatah -- in fact; tat -- their; anugrahat -- by the favor of; bruyuh -- will tell; snigdhasya -- of the one who is submissive; sishyasya -- of the disciple; guravah -- the spiritual masters; guhyam -- secret; api uta -- endowed with.

----------------------------

There is no reference to scientific method in this verse. For one reason or another Srila Prabhupada injects it into the translation.

2 a : a department of systematized knowledge as an object of study ....e science of theology> b : something (as a sport or technique) that may be studied or learned like systematized knowledge <have it="" down="" to="" a="">science></have>

In this way also Krsna consciousness is a scientific endeavor.

3 a : knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method

Here also Krsna consciousness is truly scientific. These truths can be tested and retested over and over again and the same result will be produced everytime...God consciousness and self realization.

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Srimad Bhagavatam 1.1.8

vettha tvam saumya tat sarvam

tattvatas tad-anugrahat

bruyuh snigdhasya sishyasya

guravo guhyam apy uta

SYNONYMS

vettha -- you are well conversant; tvam -- Your Honor; saumya -- one who is pure and simple; tat -- those; sarvam -- all; tattvatah -- in fact; tat -- their; anugrahat -- by the favor of; bruyuh -- will tell; snigdhasya -- of the one who is submissive; sishyasya -- of the disciple; guravah -- the spiritual masters; guhyam -- secret; api uta -- endowed with.

----------------------------

There is no reference to scientific method in this verse. For one reason or another Srila Prabhupada injects it into the translation.

Well certainly I make no pretense to understanding samskrit or how to translate but I can see even from the synonyms the scientific method being described per the quoted definitions for science from Merriam Webster.

Are you saying that because you don't see te word scientific in the synonyms the process being described is unscientific?

Guest guest

Well certainly I make no pretense to understanding samskrit or how to translate but I can see even from the synonyms the scientific method being described per the quoted definitions for science from Merriam Webster.

Are you saying that because you don't see te word scientific in the synonyms the process being described is unscientific?

Prabhupada translates the word tattvatah (ultimately real or factual) as scientific. I guess it is within the broad definition of this word, yet in the present day the concept of "scientific method" is quite different then what is described here.

Prabhupada translates the word tattvatah (ultimately real or factual) as scientific. I guess it is within the broad definition of this word, yet in the present day the concept of "scientific method" is quite different then what is described here.

Well it seems to fit the current definitons of the word quite well. The problem I believe is that our understanding of the defintions other than the prominent one we know of modern science has become lost.

I see this causing devotees a lot of confusion like when they hear the Bhagavatam is scientific and take that to mean something like the prominent definition as it's understood today and then think they have to fight somethings out with modern scientists on their field.

The need to make a clear distinction is on us when talking to people to make it clear that save for a few important points we really have no need to challenge what they say whether it is right or wrong because to us most of what they discuss is inconsequential to our purposes of self realization and God consciousness.

I think this (tattvatah) is also I good way of answering the question. As far as the scientific method, I can think of many instances where Srila Prabhupada invoked it with regard to Krishna consciousness. He boiled it down to experimentation and observation, and he often exhorted us to do that with Krishna consciousness and see if it didn't change our hearts.

Guest guest

Any religion's systematized way of knowing God can be considered scientific.

Read Ken Wilbur's Quantum Questions, it's quite fascinating, as it discusses what can be considered scientific compared to what is dogma. Also presents different essays from the leading physicists of the early 20th century, quantum mechanics pioneers such as Heisenberg and Einstein, and how they became increasingly convinced that the world which they are investigating is nothing but a cave of shadows, and how they leaned more and more to mysticism as they discovered further truths about the nature of reality.

Interesting stuff. I guess some people will get the impression that when Prabhupad says Krsna consciousness is scientific they think in terms of modern science. Well Krsna says;

rAjavidyA rAjaguhyaM

pavitramidamuttamam/

pratyakSAvagamaM dharmyaM

susukhaM kartumavyayam// Gita 9.2

A royal lore, and mystery,

The best of sanctifiers this,

Of easy practice, plainly seen,

Unperishing, not 'gainst the law.

'sarvam tattvatah' all established truths or verities.