IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mohankrishna

vaanaprasta

Rate this topic

Hare Krsna

Just the other day I was watching a documentary about bushcraft and various aborigines' "living off the land" cultures. All of them were omnivorous...sparing not even the smallest creature.

It got me wondering - how did/do vanaprastas live? Learning the details would be facinating! For instance; what did they eat? how did they shelter themselves? how did they ensure they were safe from the wild creatures...snakes, big cats? Is this knowledge still there?

If anyone could enlighten me, I'd be grateful.

Thanks

mohnkrsna

Dandavats,

- They would eat herbs,roots and dry leaves and drink water from rivers

- They would stay in a cave or underneath a tree

- They ensured their safety by simply their implicit faith that the Lord protects His surrendered devotee at all times and by becoming fully engrossed in their respective service to the Lord.There are many recorded instances of this in the Bhagavatam.

As far as I've heard and read, for today's vanaprastas, it is not recommended to go live in the forest, as in Kali Yuga as it has ceased to be practical, and generally people have lost the strength and resolve to live like that.

Don't know if it's helpful,

Haribol!

Guest guest

It got me wondering - how did/do vanaprastas live? Learning the details would be facinating! For instance; what did they eat? how did they shelter themselves? how did they ensure they were safe from the wild creatures...snakes, big cats? Is this knowledge still there?

Typically, vanaprasthas moved into the forest (as the name suggests) not far from their home village. They would build a small ashram, grew and wildcrafted their food, sometimes getting help from the locals (including relatives). Sannyasa is only for the brahmanas - they are the only ones who go through all 4 ashrams. Kshatriyas finish their lives as vanaprasthas (3 ashrams), vaishyas never leave home (2 ashrams) and sudras are just householders (1 ashram).

Because vanaprastha was only for brahmanas and kshatriyas, their natural intelligence and courage was sustaining them through these austere living conditions.

Thanks Nrsingha and Lowborn for your replies. :)

However I was looking for more specific details... which roots? did they make fires, how?

I understand that this sort of thing would require a book or volumes of books to detail. I believe in the Veda there is a section known as the "Aranyaka" which deals with forest affairs...but what does it include?

I am sure one who takes shelter of Narayana's lotus feet would never be abandoned...but still one living in the forest must, for instance, rest in the right place - sleeping on or right next to a snake lair wouldn't be a good idea.

Is this wisdom still in existance in it's full entirety?

Hare Krsna

Mohnkrsna

Guest guest

Thanks Nrsingha and Lowborn for your replies. :)

However I was looking for more specific details... which roots? did they make fires, how?

I understand that this sort of thing would require a book or volumes of books to detail. I believe in the Veda there is a section known as the "Aranyaka" which deals with forest affairs...but what does it include?

The details of forest living were quite well known at the time - people lived much simpler lives then. Today one can consult a Boy Scout survival guide ;)

Aranyakas deal mostly with daily rituals (sacrifices) and meditations (philosophy) specifically geared towards forest dwelling ascetics (as opposed to Grihyasutras meant for householders)

Typically, vanaprasthas moved into the forest (as the name suggests) not far from their home village. They would build a small ashram, grew and wildcrafted their food, sometimes getting help from the locals (including relatives). Sannyasa is only for the brahmanas - they are the only ones who go through all 4 ashrams. Kshatriyas finish their lives as vanaprasthas (3 ashrams), vaishyas never leave home (2 ashrams) and sudras are just householders (1 ashram).

I seem to vaguely remember a story of one such ashrama, where people used to wonder how it was that the person living there never got attacked by wild animals, since apparently the forest was full of tigers at that time. But the person always put a bowl of milk outside of the ashrama and would even call the tigers(!). The tigers would then drink the milk and be satisfied, in this way leaving the ashrama's inhabitants alone. I think it was Prabhupada who used to relate this story.