IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Brahmaloka

Rate this topic

Any ideas, where is it?

Brahmaloka is the highest heaven in the material universe.

It is far beyond the reach of the sunlight in the topmost portion of the jagat - the material universe.

You cannot see Brahmaloka amongst the stars in the sky because it is in a higher planetary system than our solar system.

Brahmaloka is self-illuminating.

There is no need for a sun planet in that highest realm of the universe.

Sometimes the impersonal brahmajyoti is also referred to as brahmaloka.

Guest guest

Do you know where can i find more information about jagat (pictures would be great!!)

ic

Do you know where can i find more information about jagat (pictures would be great!!)

Vedic cosmology has some serious discrepancies in comparison to modern astronomy and is a very difficult concept to grasp even for seasoned students of the Puranas.

Basically, the Puranic description of the universe is that it is vast and that ultimately it is in a layered shell of solid energy, liquid energy, fire energy, gaseous matter, ethereal matter, thought matter, subtle matter and the intuitive energy.

The universe is divided into three parts as upper, middle and lower.

The Sun illuminates the middle portion of the universe.

The Sun does not illuminate neither the highest regions nor the lowest regions of the universe which have their own sources of illumination different than the Sun of our Solar system.

Again, Vedic cosmology has a mystical element to it as does all the Vedic sciences so it is not a good subject for one not acquainted with the mystical aspect of Puranic histories.

The Vedic cosmology has been a bone of contention amongst western students of Puranic history since it was introduced in the west, so it's not a good subject to really dabble in till one can accept this mystical element of the Puranic concepts.

The 5th Canto of Bhagavat Purana deals with this Vedic cosmology quite elaborately, but it is a very complicated subject matter and not a proper subject to study until one has gone through the first four cantos of the literature.

by pictures- i mean maps, drawings or sth (model of material universe).

it would be impossible to reduce down the universe that is billions of miles in diameter into a scale model or a picture.

some attempts were made but rejected by the acharyas.

Because of the mystical and mysterious aspects of God's creation it is not possible to really create a model or a picture of it.

Because there are aspects and dimensions of the universe that are very subtle and mysterious, it is impossible to put in into a physical model of any kind.

Because the universe was created by God and is beyond the grasp of human comprehension, it is very difficult to penetrate in the Puranic concepts of the universe.

All we can understand are very basic and elementary concepts, because if we get too technical it can get very confusing.

Guest guest

Brahmaloka refers both to Satyaloka, i.e. the realm where Lord Brahma dwells, and to the Brahmajyoti, the impersonal feature of God, which is the desired destination for those with Advaitic leanings, a few well-known examples of whom are Swami Sivananda and Swami Chinmaya, as well as traditional Sankarites like Jayendra Saraswati.

Concerning the cosmological system described in the fifth canto of the Srimad Bhagavatam, it has been a source of confusion even to Indian thinkers for many hundreds of years, even way before Western thought had any significant influence on India's intellectuals. Whilst many theories and counter theories have been written on the uselessness or validity of the astronomical and other information contained in the Bhagavatam, for me, the work of Sadaputa Prabhu (Richard L. Thompson) is, to date, the most convincing and scholarly position ever developed on this whole subject matter. I am not a big fan of ISKCON in any way, as anyone who has read my previous posts here will undoubtedly know, but I do give credit where I believe credit is due. And Sadaputa is one man with the sympathizing sensibilities of a devotee and the rigorous scepticism of a professional mathematician, both of which he is.

He has published two books on Bhagavata cosmology: (i) Vedic Cosmography and Astronomy, and (ii) Mysteries of the Sacred Universe. I have copies of both books and have read them, and would recommend them to anyone interested in this topic. In Mysteries..., which came out more than a decade after the first of these works, he postulates a very cogent and well-developed thesis which goes as follows - in the 5th canto, Srila Vyasadeva described the world and the universe by making use of a composite structure, in which different elements depict a number of possible models. This is indeed in line with something that Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, namely that in basically each and every verse of scripture, several valid meanings can be extracted. After a couple of decades of simultaneous academic research and devotional practice, Sadaputa posits in Mysteries... that the cosmology of the Bhagavatam is amenable to at least four major interpretations, which maintain the sanctity of this Purana as a whole and preserve the value of the fifth canto. These are:

1. an accurate map of the solar system as determined from a geocentric point of view;

2. a polar projection map of the earth globe;

3. a topographical map of a large region of South and South Central Asia; and,

4. a map of the celestial realm of the Rishis, Devas, Upadevas and other subtly embodied beings described in the Vedic literature.

Sure, fanatics like Danavir have criticized Sadaputa/Thompson for "daring" to interpret the Sanskrit slokas of the Bhagavata rather than accepting a bland, sterile literal rendering. However, I would urge those seriously interested to read the books I have cited above, and discover for themselves what a committed Vaisnava and no-nonsense scholar Sadaputa is. In any event, there is nobody as well educated in modern scientific teachings nor as well acquainted with the Vedic worldview who has devoted half as much time, effort and energy in comprehending Puranic astronomy and cosmology, so logically I find it highly reasonable to defer to his findings. Of course, one has to be completely self-realised in order to understand reality, and Thompson himself states that his research no doubt APPROXIMATES the meaning that Vyasa originally intended when he was composing the Bhagavatam, but that ultimately, the material cosmos is indescribable, and the human intellect can at best only grasp limited aspects of it.

Nitai Gaura Radhe Shyam

Guest guest

the work of Sadaputa Prabhu (Richard L. Thompson)

can you recommend any good internet websites, or maybe forum with similar discussions?

Guest guest

Just run a google search on Sadaputa dasa, President of Bhaktivedanta Institute (Alachua). This will no doubt direct you to his website. You can use the links on the "Mission" page. I am not personally cognizant of any Internet forum on which Indian cosmology is discussed. Hope that this little bit helps.

Regards

Guest guest

Just run a google search on Sadaputa dasa, President of Bhaktivedanta Institute (Alachua). This will no doubt direct you to his website. You can use the links on the "Mission" page. I am not personally cognizant of any Internet forum on which Indian cosmology is discussed. Hope that this little bit helps.

Regards

Thank you

I was looking for some of R L Thompson videos and find this one:

ww.youtube.com/watch?v=EXO5QdV_3ug

The universe is divided into three parts as upper, middle and lower.

Is this seen on "picture" in 12 second of the video?

Guest guest

tp://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-538297875584368796&q=Mysteries+of+the+Sacred+Universe&hl=en

48 min 19 s video, Mysteries of the Sacred Universe

Yes, agree, it's not an easy subject.

However, any comments?

I always assumed it was somewhere near Palo Alto ;)

Yeah, that is Kali-fornia where there is not a drop of rain that falls all summer.

When is the big one gonna hit?

Probably sooner than anyone expects.

EARTHQUAKE.............................

Srila Prabhupada didn't call it New Dwaraka for nothing.:D

Guest guest

It is far beyond the reach of the sunlight in the topmost portion of the jagat - the material universe.

You cannot see Brahmaloka amongst the stars in the sky because it is in a higher planetary system than our solar system.

Hari Bol!

I feel very good when read such enlightning reply from you. This is very important for all us to understand the scripture through Guru or senior elevated pure devotee of Lord.

I have few questions if, you can help me in understanding them.

First What is the Difference between Prasadam and Maha Prasadam.

When it is called Prasadam and when it Maha Prasadam.

Is there any scripture where it is describe and in which sloka?

Second is I know From Lord Krishna expands sankarshan and than Maha Vishnu than Shiro Dakshai Vishnu and than Garbho dakshai Vishnu.

Pls correct me if I am wrong other wise pls let me know which chapter of Bhagvatam or Bhagvad Gita it is described.

I will be really obliged.

I am trying to learn all these to make my bhakti foundation strong so pls do answer me.

hare Krishna!

YS

Amrit Gobind das

Guest guest

Hari Bol!

I feel very good when read such enlightning reply from you. This is very important for all us to understand the scripture through Guru or senior elevated pure devotee of Lord.

Second is I know From Lord Krishna expands sankarshan and than Maha Vishnu than Shiro Dakshai Vishnu and than Garbho dakshai Vishnu.

Pls correct me if I am wrong other wise pls let me know which chapter of Bhagvatam or Bhagvad Gita it is described.

I am trying to learn all these to make my bhakti foundation strong so pls do answer me.

hare Krishna!

YS

Amrit Gobind das

Guest guest

I am still waiting for your reply.

Hari Bol!

hare Krishna!

YS

Amrit Gobind das

Hari Bol!

hare Krishna!

YS

Amrit Gobind das

Maha-prasadam is the remnants of the food that comes directly off the plates that are offered on the altar of the deities of the Lord.

Regular prasadam is the bulk of the prasadam that is transferred from the pots in the deities kitchen and distributed to the devotees,

As far a scriptural quotes I will have to look around for that, but it is a very old tradition in Vaishnava temples that the remnants of food offerings that come off the plates of the deities is called Maha-prasada.

The remants from the plate of the acharya are also sometimes referred to as Maha Prasadam.

I will look for a proper reference on the expansions of the Lord.

I don't know it right off the top of my head.

Hari Bol!

hare Krishna!

YS

Amrit Gobind das

go this web page and you will find information on incarnations and expansions of the Lord.

http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz/encyclopedia/avatars.htm

Guest guest

Utter speculation and nonsense how do u know that is what Brahmaloka is?have u or anyone u know been there?

Utter speculation and nonsense how do u know that is what Brahmaloka is?have u or anyone u know been there?

sure, I just got back from a trip around the universe to check up on the gods and I stopped in Satyaloka to have a little chat with Brahmaji.

He said he was tempted to send an asteroid to Earth and annihilate the whole planet if something wasn't done about George Bush.

So, next election............vote Democrat.!!!:eek4:

Guest Moonshine 1

It wouldd be impossible to reduce down the universe that is billions of miles in diameter into a scale model or a picture.

some attempts were made but rejected by the acharyas.

Because of the mystical and mysterious aspects of God's creation it is not possible to really create a model or a picture of it.

Because there are aspects and dimensions of the universe that are very subtle and mysterious, it is impossible to put in into a physical model of any kind.

Because the universe was created by God and is beyond the grasp of human comprehension, it is very difficult to penetrate in the Puranic concepts of the universe.

All we can understand are very basic and elementary concepts, because if we get too technical it can get very confusing.

My post is now in 2013, so this thread is a few years old now, no matter, it is still relevant to me now.  I completely agree with the senior member, saying if he were to explain it all, in-depth, it would seem extremely confusing to someone who has no concept, but saying that, trying to understand how these things work.    Of course you would not, even with the most powerful telescope be able to see the above material universe in which Brahmaloka resides.    It is too far away.  Though saying you cannot physically get to see it, it does not deter, those with the intellectual compacity to know that it's there.   Also faith is important, and a knowledge and understanding of the mechanisms of the universe and where everything goes. :idea: