IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Ahara Vimaladvaita

Vegetarian Dog

Rate this topic

Hello Ahara!

Technically, dogs can be vegetarians. For example, the President of Slovenia had a dog who ate vegetarian food, though I'm not sure if by his own preference. He's dead now. :) I have a dog as well and I've never thought of feeding him exclusively vegetarian food. Mother Nature created dogs as beasts and as such, they are mostly carnivorous. You don't need a special veterinarian knowledge to know that. Dogs teeth are shaped to tear and chop meat. They can't chew food like humans, and vegetarian food needs to be chewed because it's digested much slower than meat. Beasts' intestines are shorter than those of herbivorous animals (including human). Because of that dogs can't digest vegetarian food efficiently.

Then there's another thing: I believe you have to take the law of karma into consideration. If a being is reborn as a beast (dog), then Mother Nature has probably meant it to be carnivorous.

[ATTACH]1436[/ATTACH]

Hare Krsna,

dogs sure can be vegetarian. My dog took some time and patience to wean to a non-meat diet. He loves very much rice, dahl, vegetables, nuts, fruit and yoghurt. He takes the Lord's remnants from the daily offering (maha-prasadam).

I suppliment his diet with a vegan dry food product that is mainly made from corn, but is packed full of essential viatmins. I do this just to make sure he is getting a fully balanced diet, and also because he then has something to munch on during the day if he feels hungry.

His coat is in immaculate condition and his weight is perfect. I do not have to worry about an over weight pet like so many people have these days.

He really enjoys the rice, veggies, and dahl etc...absolutely loves it).

Never feed your dog chocolate (it can cause heart attack and is toxic), onions can kill a dog (their red blood cells burst and the dog then dies of lack of oxygen), garlic is not so beneficial, and macadamia nuts can temporarly paralyse dogs. Keep dairy to a minimal also because this can give dogs bowel problems.

Having a totally meat free household has been a blessing for my spiritual practice and life, especially beacuse my dog is indoors alot.

Hope this helps....cya.

post-5757-138274054193_thumb.jpg