IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Are women allowed to visit the temple when...?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Are women allowed to visit the temple when they are menstruating? If the answer is no. Can you tell me why?

Hare Krishna!

Guest guest

Yes.

Are women allowed to visit the temple when they are menstruating? If the answer is no. Can you tell me why?

Hare Krishna!

Hare Krishna!

I haven't heard that women shouldn't visit the temple when they are menstruating (as Ms. Pitts answered), but I do believe women do not usually cook for or offer puja to the Deities when menstruating (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Guest guest

You are correct.

I haven't heard that women shouldn't visit the temple when they are menstruating (as Ms. Pitts answered), but I do believe women do not usually cook for or offer puja to the Deities when menstruating (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Guest guest

Thanks.

Is there a reason for this? Or is it something that has just been done that way (not cooking or offering puja to the Deities)?

Guest guest

There is a reason.

Thanks.

Is there a reason for this? Or is it something that has just been done that way (not cooking or offering puja to the Deities)?

Hi there,

well you've spoken of the west i guess, i dunno, but not of the east or the South Asian countries... no woman is allowed to visit temple during that time. I'm gonna ask exactly what the reason is ... i heard of the things about that discharge...n let U know.

I stronly oppose...no woman is allowed to visit temple on that period...

regards

Guest guest

Haridas thakur was not allowed access to temples, either. Tells me all I need to know about temples. Give up all varieties of religion and surrender to Krsna. He is there to accept all, despite any human condition that may occur.

Actually, men should not be allowed to enter any temple when they think that their gender is somehow better than another gender. One who is in such bodily concept cannot worship Krsna, because one must be tolerant and devoid of false prestiege.

Funny, this discrimination based on the physical form is the greaqtest agreement point for all the diverse groups. Rtviks want reform, but not in regard to the treatment of women. But to be dominated by materialistic men can be derailed by free will. Dont associate (including going to their devil worshipping temples) with anyone pretending to be the middleMAN between you and the Supreme Lord. Like he did with Haridas Thakur, Krsna will come to your own REAL temple.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Guest guest

Hi there,

well you've spoken of the west i guess, i dunno, but not of the east or the South Asian countries... no woman is allowed to visit temple during that time. I'm gonna ask exactly what the reason is ... i heard of the things about that discharge...n let U know.

I stronly oppose...no woman is allowed to visit temple on that period...

regards

That is your personal opinion, why would you oppose to that? What are your reasons??

...still no one has given me a reasonable answer.

What is ISKCON's view on this????

Guest guest

That is your personal opinion, why would you oppose to that? What are your reasons??

...still no one has given me a reasonable answer.

What is ISKCON's view on this????

Being a member of ISKCON and having lived in women ashrama for a few years, I can say that in our society women are not prohibited to visit temple while menstruating. Some women will abstain from offering pushpa to Srila Prabhupada and most from watering Tulasi Devi during those days, but I haven't heard of any particular regulations in this regard in ISKCON. Ladies will preferably not enter the Deity kitchen during periods, but if the absolute necessity/emergency is there to cook for the Deities (e.g. no one else is in the temple to cook), they may cook. The situation in ISKCON India may be different as many ladies traditionally do not enter temple during menstruation, but there is no such GBC resolution or official ruling.

The reason for this is that when Lord Indra killed a brahmana called Vishvarupa, he distributed his sinful reactions for brahma-hatya among the earth, water, trees and women. Consequently, the earth acquired deserts, water has bubbles and foam, trees have sap flowing from cuts, and women menstruate every month. Please refer to Srimad Bhagavatam Canto 6 chapter 9 for further details. For this reason during the period of menstruation women are considered contaminated. And even setting philosophy aside - it is a pretty unclean state of being, with blood mixed with who knows what flowing from you! Sorry for the gross details.

I hope this answers your question :)

Your servant.

Guest guest

When Indra killed Vishvarupa, why didn't he distribute his sinful reactions to any males like himself?

Sounds like demi-god discrimination...

Guest guest

When Indra killed Vishvarupa, why didn't he distribute his sinful reactions to any males like himself?

Because he didn't do it forcefully. The earth, water, trees and women accepted each 1/4 of his sinful reactions voluntarily, out of their kind-hearted and compassionate nature.

Your servant.

Guest guest

P.S. When talking about such exalted personalities as Lord Indra ( and he IS a great devotee of Lord Krishna and possesses many wonderful qualities), we should avoid transferring our own conditioned thinking on them, as unconsciously we are committing an offence.

Guest guest

Because he didn't do it forcefully. The earth, water, trees and women accepted each 1/4 of his sinful reactions voluntarily, out of their kind-hearted and compassionate nature.

Still why was it not divided up in a more balanced manner where men could have taken some of the burden, men are known to be kind-hearted and compassionate too, and as a result we see such discrimination towards women because of them having having menstrual periods.

just because the men didn't step forward to accept some of the reaction doesn't mean they should have been left out.

PS, you don't need to reprimand me suggesting I am committing some aparadha to Indra, LOL

You may carry a matchbox in your pocket, with no danger of fire emanating, through the components are there in that box. So too, there are the components of divinity in you; only, it is not patent, it is not expressed. Take a stick and strike its head against the chemical coating given on one side of the box, and suddenly, in a flash, you get the flame of fire. So too, take the Jeeva (the individual) and strike it on the Brahman-principle that is immanent in the universe, make it aware of it, so to say, and the individual too manifests the divinity latent in it. The tree is the individual; the forest is the Brahman. The one, apart from the many is the individual. The many and the manifold is the Brahman; Kasturi standing alone, apart, is Vyashti; when he goes and sits among you, the thousands who have come here for Onam, he merges in the Samashti. Samashti is Brahman; Vyashti is the Jeevaathman.