IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Vrindavan

Choosing herbs & spices for daily cooking ?

Rate this topic

Choosing herbs & spices for daily cooking ?

Which are very good in taste and healthy for most common use in cooking ?

both western and Indian ones.

Please share, thanks

If i do not keep too much varieties, just a few,

which ones should i use ?

Guest guest

Salt, black pepper, hing, and turmeric are the basics. Fresh is best. I prefer to grind up my own black peppercorns. Turmeric is a blood purifier. Hing is supposed to be good for digestion. Ginger root is a great herb. Chop it up small and put in kicharies and dhals. Fresh Cilantro (dhania) is also healthy, and is great with tomato sauces. For Italian foods, you can get organic oregano and basil at most any health food store. Fresh cinnamon bark is handy to have around for sweets and oatmeal, cakes, things like that. A few other spices you can get are the seeds: mustard, cumin, anise or fennel, for making chaunces. Those are the basic spices to have around the kitchen. If you like curry powder, I suggest making your own. You can get turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder from an Indian store, or a health food store and combine them to your liking. Fenugreek is a popular Indian spice, but if you're looking to keep things simple, you probably won't need it.