IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krishnadasa

Prabhupada and Sikhs

Rate this topic

Guest guest

"Guest (2): Srila Prabhupada, in the Sikh-dharma they say to chant the holy names of God, and so far I haven't encountered the name "Krsna" in the scriptures. I have encountered "Govinda,Mukunda,Rama" and..., but the main name that is chanted is Viduh. And I was wondering if you could comment on..., on the Sikh-dharma.

"Prabhupada: It is very good. It is very good. Guru Nanak, he chanted the name, holy name of Rama, the holy name of Krsna, Govinda. So if we follow Guru Nanak, we are fortunate. Anyone who presents a science of God, it doesn't matter whether he is this man or that man; he is our guru."

Srila Prabhupada Lecture, 03-02-75, Atlanta

Guest guest

A wise old Owl sitting in an Oak

The more he saw, the less he spoke

The less he spoke the more he heard

Why cant we all be like that bird!!!

and if your child is not shown where to suckle, then you yourself will eventually die.

live by what you can leave to another or die by your selfishness desire to bask in your own knowledge

Guest guest

The basic tenets of the Sikh religion reflect the time and place circumstances of its development. Essentially, the Sikhs believe that there is only one God, who is the Creator, Sustainer and Destroyer. God cannot take human form. The goal of human life is to break the cycle of birth and death and merge with God. This can be accomplished by following the teachings of the Guru, meditation on the Holy Name and performance of acts of service and charity. The five cardinal vices are; Kam (lust), Krodh (anger), Lobh (greed), Moh (worldly attachment) and Ahankar (pride). Narm Marg emphasizes daily devotion to the remembrance of God. Sikhs reject rituals, which includes fasting, vegetarianism, pilgrimages, yoga, as idol worship. Family life (Grasth) is encouraged, and celibacy or renunciation is not. The Sikh Holy Book (Guru Granth Sahib) is the perpetual Guru, there is no place in Sikhism for a living Guru today. Sikhism rejects all distinctions of caste, creed, race or sex. They stress the equality of women, rejecting female infanticide, sati (wife burning), permitting widow remarriage and rejects purdah (women wearing veils). Work, charity and service (seva) to community are emphasized.

The basic tenets of the Sikh religion reflect the time and place circumstances of its development. Essentially, the Sikhs believe that there is only one God, who is the Creator, Sustainer and Destroyer. God cannot take human form. The goal of human life is to break the cycle of birth and death and merge with God. This can be accomplished by following the teachings of the Guru, meditation on the Holy Name and performance of acts of service and charity. The five cardinal vices are; Kam (lust), Krodh (anger), Lobh (greed), Moh (worldly attachment) and Ahankar (pride). Narm Marg emphasizes daily devotion to the remembrance of God. Sikhs reject rituals, which includes fasting, vegetarianism, pilgrimages, yoga, as idol worship. Family life (Grasth) is encouraged, and celibacy or renunciation is not. The Sikh Holy Book (Guru Granth Sahib) is the perpetual Guru, there is no place in Sikhism for a living Guru today. Sikhism rejects all distinctions of caste, creed, race or sex. They stress the equality of women, rejecting female infanticide, sati (wife burning), permitting widow remarriage and rejects purdah (women wearing veils). Work, charity and service (seva) to community are emphasized.

God cannot take human form.

That means krishna's forms are baseless , hmm find another forum lol!!!!:eek:

hari hari bol

and if your child is not shown where to suckle, then you yourself will eventually die.

live by what you can leave to another or die by your selfishness desire to bask in your own knowledge

I cant understand a bit of what u re trying to say? can you be a little more simpler

hari hari bol

The question was what did Sirla Prabhupada say about Sikhisim.

But as you mentioned the Sikh "Religion" came about or developed through "time place and circumstances."

I think that says it all. :idea:

hari hari bol

The guest was just posting on Sikhisim's basic tenants/beliefs and we should just leave it at that.

If he tries to impose these "beliefs" on Sanatan Dharma than we can challange.:smash:

This is an open forum where we can understand the "beliefs" or views of other(s) cultures or belief system. Everyone has a capacity to develop at their own pace and are attaracted to a Religion most suitable to their level of understanding/development and this I see as a Mercy Of Lord Krsna. So we should not attack/critisize someones belief system untill they try and impose.

Hare Krsna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

Guest guest

hari hari bol

Did Krishna send his spirit into a human form to go about teaching people?

yada yada he dharmasya

glanir bhavati bharata

abhutthanam adharmasya

tadatmanam srjamy aham

Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion -- at that time I descend Myself. (Bhagavad-gita 4.7)

So Krishna Himself comes to this world sometimes (as He did 5,000 years ago as Krishna and 500 years ago as Sri Krishna Caitanya Mahaprabhu) and sometimes he sends his pure devotees, or sons like Jesus Christ and Srila Prabhupada

Guest guest

Why cant we all be like that bird!!

This rhyme you post is only of specific purpose (to sound kool) but the idea of a knowing person to sit and watch as others are in peril, is wrong!

A knowing person must share the ways of truth or their time learning is a waste and not wise.

The wise watch and learn, gaining perspective and then share to the unknowing that he may not spend so much time having to learn from hard knocks.

So as you know where to feast either show the child where to suckle or your offspring will be no longer and if this is your only offspring then you will die with him as your lineage will become extinct.

SO the selfish bask in knowing without sharing and the wise learn to share things of truth so that the next will not be wasting life and evolve to know the eventual truth while standing in this life.

To reach that what you seek must come from others who share.

So shoot the old owl who is selfish with knowing and too stubborn to share because of self preservations.

Did you understand that?

Why cant we all be like that bird!!

This rhyme you post is only of specific purpose (to sound kool) but the idea of a knowing person to sit and watch as others are in peril, is wrong!

A knowing person must share the ways of truth or their time learning is a waste and not wise.

The wise watch and learn, gaining perspective and then share to the unknowing that he may not spend so much time having to learn from hard knocks.

So as you know where to feast either show the child where to suckle or your offspring will be no longer and if this is your only offspring then you will die with him as your lineage will become extinct.

SO the selfish bask in knowing without sharing and the wise learn to share things of truth so that the next will not be wasting life and evolve to know the eventual truth while standing in this life.

To reach that what you seek must come from others who share.

So shoot the old owl who is selfish with knowing and too stubborn to share because of self preservations.

Did you understand that?

Hi,

This is trailing off the point off the thread - start a new one maybe? But just a case of point - interesting how the poem has evoked your reaction. The poem insinuates nothing about the wise watching the befallen silently. When I read it I thought of those who dont speak too rashly, preferring to think and learn before deciding to speak. But from such a simplistic poem you got to "selfish", "stubborn" and "shoot" ;) ... anyway, like i said, maybe beloings in a different thread.

Simple things can mean so differently for different people in this diverse world... Just like when Krishna says, Sarva dharma parithyajyo maam eka saranaam vraja, He meant it directly and in the simplest way, didnt he? but look at the wayfar explanation of that these days....its up to you to take in whatever way you want , afterall you are the one who is gonna reap for what you have sowed for.....

hari hari bol

Guest guest

Hi,

This is trailing off the point off the thread - start a new one maybe? But just a case of point - interesting how the poem has evoked your reaction. The poem insinuates nothing about the wise watching the befallen silently. When I read it I thought of those who dont speak too rashly, preferring to think and learn before deciding to speak. But from such a simplistic poem you got to "selfish", "stubborn" and "shoot" ;) ... anyway, like i said, maybe beloings in a different thread.

No need for a new thread. This was sent sideways because I was asked to define what I meant by you and still nothing quality to learn from in either of your posts.

The thread had great basis and as a guests contributions to the conversation have been made but still nothing of quality to read since.

It appears that kindness and compassion are definitely present yet the ability to articulate is a little short and there is a specific purpose to even being here.

when seeking if the owls are too busy dodging questions or areas of concern, how does anyone learn anything?

Even though within we can know, applying to a tangible reality could never materialize within this group.

What I will mention is we are here and it is so sad that such a kind sect can be so shallow.

What are in the incense, maybe that is what I am missing!

I sing all day so that isn't it.

Is chastity a norm, if so that is not healthy nor good for your continued existanse on the globe. It would be like saying 'I do not want my cells to replenish my skin.'

Let me offer my hand and I promise never to lie to you as I have only one purpose, please let share to this sect what is true to all.

To india, I must go, to share the gifts for tomorrow!

No need for a new thread. This was sent sideways because I was asked to define what I meant by you and still nothing quality to learn from in either of your posts.

I only sent one post. You're getting me mixed up with someone else.

It appears that kindness and compassion are definitely present yet the ability to articulate is a little short and there is a specific purpose to even being here.

the two parts of that sentence do not seem to make coherent sense. Compassion here? I hope so.

when seeking if the owls are too busy dodging questions or areas of concern, how does anyone learn anything?

I'm not contesting your view of the poem. Only found it interesting that you extrapolated it that way. The poem is only a signature of forum member, not an insinuation of anything to do with this thread. Perhaps that is the source of your thoughts?

Even though within we can know, applying to a tangible reality could never materialize within this group.

sounds like you have a quiff with this group. We are only members of the public. Not saints, learned persons or anything like that. We're only trying to discuss in order to understand better. Contrary to your comments, there have been many instances where the wisdom of a few members here have really elightened me and helped on my journey. so there :P

What I will mention is we are here and it is so sad that such a kind sect can be so shallow.

sorry. i dont personally mean to be shallow and certainly others dont either.

that makes no sense.

Is chastity a norm, if so that is not healthy nor good for your continued existanse on the globe. It would be like saying 'I do not want my cells to replenish my skin.'

that makes no sense either. what's your point?

Let me offer my hand and I promise never to lie to you as I have only one purpose, please let share to this sect what is true to all.

why do you think we dont want to share?? what would be the point of having a public forum if we didnt want to share ideas??

Anyway, seriously - if you wanna take up the argument please start up a new thread. And registering a name would be nice too!

Thanks.

The thread had great basis and as a guests contributions to the conversation have been made but still nothing of quality to read since.

To india, I must go, to share the gifts for tomorrow!

Hoenstly, that makes no sense to me!!!!

Hari hari bol

Guest guest

If a guest or member is of the same source, God, as suggested in Atlanta by Prabhupada; " Anyone who presents a science of God, it doesn't matter whether he is this man or that man; he is our guru."

This shows that the idea of what he speaks many may not concur but I say this is of the final chapter.

The point is when you do not know the basis of understanding this existance within the sciences, then the path is still not known; listen to 'he' that knows.

It is why I am here.

there is not concern of things or the idea of being special, the point is the understanding of the sciences coupled with the worlds theology is the next chapter.

Decribing life upon molecular structures is only understood in one absolute way, this is the same of the understanding of associations and the singularity of the total.

So I ask; do you understand or are you stuck on just thinking you do.

I returned only to see what are the questions of what was written and I find ignorance of thought governed by the isolating constraint of meaningless reasoning; selfishness of thought.

I will stop in from time to time and if any want to read, Google up "Bishadi"

the enunciation of my last name ......

The fact of everything written is to describe life at the beginning of atoms and energy versus adam and eve and that all life is of the same thing and purpose until we "the species" became aware, "conscious" and then the period of knowing God was born.

From this beginning all things in thiis existanse follow the same rules and theology was only born from knowing within the humility of compassion.

In other words Ganasha or Vishnu or Rama or Allah, Lord and Krishna are all renditions man provided for to describe and try undertanding but let it be real clear herein and now, these things are real but now of the sciences and now of real comprehension, vindicating our forefathers that they were of knowing and that what was said is the truth, (to a point)

'Anyone who presents a science of God, it doesn't matter whether he is this man or that man; he is our guru.'

and even your prophet knew I was coming!

If a guest or member is of the same source, God, as suggested in Atlanta by Prabhupada; " Anyone who presents a science of God, it doesn't matter whether he is this man or that man; he is our guru."

This shows that the idea of what he speaks many may not concur but I say this is of the final chapter.

The point is when you do not know the basis of understanding this existance within the sciences, then the path is still not known; listen to 'he' that knows.

It is why I am here.

there is not concern of things or the idea of being special, the point is the understanding of the sciences coupled with the worlds theology is the next chapter.

Decribing life upon molecular structures is only understood in one absolute way, this is the same of the understanding of associations and the singularity of the total.

So I ask; do you understand or are you stuck on just thinking you do.

I returned only to see what are the questions of what was written and I find ignorance of thought governed by the isolating constraint of meaningless reasoning; selfishness of thought.

I will stop in from time to time and if any want to read, Google up "Bishadi"

the enunciation of my last name ......

The fact of everything written is to describe life at the beginning of atoms and energy versus adam and eve and that all life is of the same thing and purpose until we "the species" became aware, "conscious" and then the period of knowing God was born.

From this beginning all things in thiis existanse follow the same rules and theology was only born from knowing within the humility of compassion.

In other words Ganasha or Vishnu or Rama or Allah, Lord and Krishna are all renditions man provided for to describe and try undertanding but let it be real clear herein and now, these things are real but now of the sciences and now of real comprehension, vindicating our forefathers that they were of knowing and that what was said is the truth, (to a point)

'Anyone who presents a science of God, it doesn't matter whether he is this man or that man; he is our guru.'

and even your prophet knew I was coming!

But a single individual, registered and aware.

and I say be glad of my arrogance, know that it is with wellness in understanding that the obsolete will move over for the next generations.

A sense of the One is to cure withstanding the opression felt by the children of yesterday.

The children of today will have the new beginning and it is of the product of all the worlds voices that a single framework is recognized. The ability to capture this was a promise made with no desire of things but to know as this "owl" has heard and has watched but the promise is to be thankful and be appreciative of having the capacity to learn and share!

So that finally from the babe forward a basis of understanding can be the single beginning governing both the sciences and theology, knowing both nature and God (the total) are One!

Good Day and please tell the children Kali is over!