IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

question about Guru Shishya relationships

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guru Shishya occurs in religion. But it also seems to occur in other things, like musical instruction, for instance.

If I am an initiated Krishna devotee with a Guru, would there be any conflict in me learning a musical instrument from a teacher who practices this guru shishya relationship? To me, they seem to be two different things. And Guru seems to have such a broad meaning in Sanskrit.

I would ask my guru of course, but I want to ask here first, in case the answer is very very simple.

practicality, practicality, practicality.

Of course there is no conflict - the Guru you are speaking of is giving you spiritual instruction. Whatever material instruction you get is different. Just the same as a school kid is perfectly ok to go to a geography teacher, a maths teacher, an English teacher, etc. There is no problem.

If you are not satisfied with that then take examples from shashtra - The Pandavas had many Gurus - Drona and Kripa, Bhishma and Vidura also taught them (politics), and many many rishis in the Kamyaka forest when they were in exhile, e.g. Dhaumya, Vyas.

If you are speaking about a second "initiating" Guru then that is different. But a teacher of the material sciences, including music, is totally ok!

If you are still worried, simply ask your Guru for permission.