IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Question on Hinduism religion

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have a couple of questions about the Hindu religion. What is sacred in the Hindu religion? What in the religion is considered profane? When a woman gives birth to a child are there any specific rituals that are preformed?

I have a couple of questions about the Hindu religion. What is sacred in the Hindu religion? What in the religion is considered profane? When a woman gives birth to a child are there any specific rituals that are preformed?

If you are devoted to Krsna and chant Hare Krsna all rituals are performed. You will become elevated Vaisanava by attaining Krsna through purity of your heart and by mercy of your Guru and Krsna. This is the highest stage of Hinduism becoming Krsna Conscious.

Guest guest

HINDU BELIEFS

1) I believe in the divinity of the Vedas...these primordial hymns are the bedrock of Sanatana Dharma...

2) I believe in a one, all-pervasive Supreme Being who is both immanent and transcendent, both Creator and unmanifest Reality

3) I believe that the universe undergoes endless cycles of creation, preservation, and dissolution

4) I blieve in karma, the law of cause and effect...

5) I believe that the soul reincarnates, evolving through many births until all karmas have been resolved and...liberation from the cycle of rebirth is attained. Not a single soul shall be eternally deprived of this destination.

6) I believe that divine beings exist in unseen worlds and that temple worship. rituals, sacraments as well as personal devotions create a

communion with these devas and Gods.

7) I believe that a spiritually awakened Master or satguru is essential to know the Transcendental Absolute as are personal discipline, good conduct, purification, pilgrimmage, self-inquiry, and meditation.

8) I believe that all life is sacred, to be loved and revered and therefore practice ahimsa "non-injury".

9) I believe that no particular religion teaches the only way to salvation above all others, but that all genuine religious paths are factes of God's Pure Love and Light, deserving tolerance and understanding.

-- from Hinduism's Contemporary Catechism

By reading this what strikes me is that as a general guideline item # 8 "all life is sacred" is a general rule regarding what is considered sacred in Hindusim.

Also, within Hinduism in general there are four main denominations of Saivism, Saktism, Vaishnavism, and Smartism. Within those four denominations are things considered sacred to those particular denominations, and as far as Hinduism in general there is outlined in the Vedas things which are considered auspicious that are generally acknowledged by all four denominations.

Within each denomination there are also different philosophical schools.

As far as giving birth, in Hinduism we have the ten main samskaras or rites of passage, which address the human condition from birth to death and rebirth:

1) garbhadhana - rite of conception

2) punasavana - third month ritual during pregnancy

3) simantonnayana - fourth to seventh month ritual during pregnancy

4) jatakarma - rite of birth

then there are samskaras of childhood, adulthood, and later life. All of this information is from Hinduism's Contemporary Catechism (available online).

As a general rule pre-pregnancy, pregnancy, during birth, and apres birth

we are encouraged to listen to purifying mantras to invoke auspiciousness

in our lives and in the lives of the child especially.

For the Vaisnava denomination it is the mantra most frequently used described in post #2.

HINDU BELIEFS

1) I believe in the divinity of the Vedas...these primordial hymns are the bedrock of Sanatana Dharma...

2) I believe in a one, all-pervasive Supreme Being who is both immanent and transcendent, both Creator and unmanifest Reality

3) I believe that the universe undergoes endless cycles of creation, preservation, and dissolution

4) I blieve in karma, the law of cause and effect...

5) I believe that the soul reincarnates, evolving through many births until all karmas have been resolved and...liberation from the cycle of rebirth is attained. Not a single soul shall be eternally deprived of this destination.

6) I believe that divine beings exist in unseen worlds and that temple worship. rituals, sacraments as well as personal devotions create a

communion with these devas and Gods.

7) I believe that a spiritually awakened Master or satguru is essential to know the Transcendental Absolute as are personal discipline, good conduct, purification, pilgrimmage, self-inquiry, and meditation.

8) I believe that all life is sacred, to be loved and revered and therefore practice ahimsa "non-injury".

9) I believe that no particular religion teaches the only way to salvation above all others, but that all genuine religious paths are factes of God's Pure Love and Light, deserving tolerance and understanding.

-- from Hinduism's Contemporary Catechism

By reading this what strikes me is that as a general guideline item # 8 "all life is sacred" is a general rule regarding what is considered sacred in Hindusim.

Also, within Hinduism in general there are four main denominations of Saivism, Saktism, Vaishnavism, and Smartism. Within those four denominations are things considered sacred to those particular denominations, and as far as Hinduism in general there is outlined in the Vedas things which are considered auspicious that are generally acknowledged by all four denominations.

Within each denomination there are also different philosophical schools.

As far as giving birth, in Hinduism we have the ten main samskaras or rites of passage, which address the human condition from birth to death and rebirth:

1) garbhadhana - rite of conception

2) punasavana - third month ritual during pregnancy

3) simantonnayana - fourth to seventh month ritual during pregnancy

4) jatakarma - rite of birth

then there are samskaras of childhood, adulthood, and later life. All of this information is from Hinduism's Contemporary Catechism (available online).

As a general rule pre-pregnancy, pregnancy, during birth, and apres birth

we are encouraged to listen to purifying mantras to invoke auspiciousness

in our lives and in the lives of the child especially.

For the Vaisnava denomination it is the mantra most frequently used described in post #2.

All the above rituals can be achieved by chanting holy name of Krsna for simple practicing KC as Gouranga Mohaprabhu preached devotional services to Godhead. As per Gouranga Mohaprabhu only the holy name can give one highest state of Consciousness that is Krsna Consciouness.

But Gouranga Mohaprabhu never asked to stop all rituals for house holder if they can practice all rituals for good reason to satisfy demigods that is also allowed. But satisfying Krsna who is root of all roots, other branches will be automatically be satisfied. That's why loving services towards Krsna and elevated Vaisanavs is recommended. All demigods takes shelter on Krsna and reborn as an elevated Vasisanava to offer loving services to supreme personality of Godhead. So those rituals that is offered through Vedic sacrifices can be offered as a service to elevated Vasisanavs that is the only recommendation of supreme personality incarnate of Krsna Lord Chaitannya Mohaprabhu.

Guest guest

Dear Prabhuji:

A samskara is not necessarily demigod worship, if I am not mistaken. A samskara is simply a rite of passage. It is a ceremony. It provides some variety which is the spice of life.

For example in Gaudiya Vaisnava temples they chant HK mantra and they also perform various ceremonies, do they not? They perform arotik, do they not? They perform abhisekha do they not?

They perform death rites, do they not? Marriage ceremonies too, isn't that correct? Initiation ceremonies also, is that not correct?

Or do they just stand around chanting Hare Krishna all day long? Maybe it seems like it to you but last time I checked, the head pujari at my local temple was using a Gaudiya Vaisnava text called "The Book of Samskaras".

So what is the problem with performing samskaras? They are doing it at the Hare Krishna temple. Are you saying that they are in maya or something? The Book of Samskaras explains that impressions or vrittis are created on our minds. Therefore samskaras are performed to penetrate deeply into our

sub of the subconscious mind.

So there are beautiful rituals like performance art or rites of passage. They provide variety to standing around chanting HK mantra all day long. If you are happy only chanting HK all day long then I am happy for you.

But some people like variety. Therefore we have an educated class of priests who are trained how to do these samskaras. They enjoy performing them, for it is a very rewarding experience, as it brings happiness and solace into people's lives.

For example when a person dies, then yes maybe some people perhaps all they do is chant Hare Krishna and their life is sublime and whoopdee doo hip hip hurrah I'm dead, that's it, and he's dead haribol, and that satisfies them.

Well if you enjoy that pastime and that is your cup of tea then fine and dandy for you. However why did AC Bhaktivedanta Swami ask Srila Narayana Maharaja to do his death rituals for him, the antyestha samskara? Why did he not just tell his followers "Chant and be happy! I'm not the body, I am going back to Krishna, no worries mate!"

Well why, hmm? Why did a Guru in the Lineage of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu ask a senior Vaisnava to perform a samskara for him at the time of death? Was he worshipping the demigods or something? I have never heard of Narayana Maharaja asking people to do demigod worship, in fact he is quite against it

from what I have read.

So why did Swami Maharaja ask for Antyestha Samskara? Because everybody likes a rite of passage that is why. It is human nature. Hinduism has very beautiful rites of passage. If you don't enjoy them, that is okay with me. Different strokes for different folks.

But I personally think that they are very beautiful. I have never heard of any Vaisnava guru passing and did not want the final rites or Antyestha Samskara.

So why is that? Are they all in maya worshipping the demigods at the time of

death? No because it is very soothing and benefic to the mind, it helps those

left behind to have closure.

And similarly the other samskaras in Hinduism are to soothe people's minds, create a nice impression, like a "snapshot" moment. That is what a samskara is, a very beautiful type of performance art so elegant and refined and aristocratic in my opinion. I don't feel that it is particularly helpful to make people feel afraid of samskaras or like samskaras are some nonsense not practiced by even the greatest acharyas in the Gaudiya Vaisnava lineage.

Dear Prabhuji:

A samskara is not necessarily demigod worship, if I am not mistaken. A samskara is simply a rite of passage. It is a ceremony. It provides some variety which is the spice of life.

For example in Gaudiya Vaisnava temples they chant HK mantra and they also perform various ceremonies, do they not? They perform arotik, do they not? They perform abhisekha do they not?

They perform death rites, do they not? Marriage ceremonies too, isn't that correct? Initiation ceremonies also, is that not correct?

Or do they just stand around chanting Hare Krishna all day long? Maybe it seems like it to you but last time I checked, the head pujari at my local temple was using a Gaudiya Vaisnava text called "The Book of Samskaras".

So what is the problem with performing samskaras? They are doing it at the Hare Krishna temple. Are you saying that they are in maya or something? The Book of Samskaras explains that impressions or vrittis are created on our minds. Therefore samskaras are performed to penetrate deeply into our

sub of the subconscious mind.

So there are beautiful rituals like performance art or rites of passage. They provide variety to standing around chanting HK mantra all day long. If you are happy only chanting HK all day long then I am happy for you.

But some people like variety. Therefore we have an educated class of priests who are trained how to do these samskaras. They enjoy performing them, for it is a very rewarding experience, as it brings happiness and solace into people's lives.

For example when a person dies, then yes maybe some people perhaps all they do is chant Hare Krishna and their life is sublime and whoopdee doo hip hip hurrah I'm dead, that's it, and he's dead haribol, and that satisfies them.

Well if you enjoy that pastime and that is your cup of tea then fine and dandy for you. However why did AC Bhaktivedanta Swami ask Srila Narayana Maharaja to do his death rituals for him, the antyestha samskara? Why did he not just tell his followers "Chant and be happy! I'm not the body, I am going back to Krishna, no worries mate!"

Well why, hmm? Why did a Guru in the Lineage of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu ask a senior Vaisnava to perform a samskara for him at the time of death? Was he worshipping the demigods or something? I have never heard of Narayana Maharaja asking people to do demigod worship, in fact he is quite against it

from what I have read.

So why did Swami Maharaja ask for Antyestha Samskara? Because everybody likes a rite of passage that is why. It is human nature. Hinduism has very beautiful rites of passage. If you don't enjoy them, that is okay with me. Different strokes for different folks.

But I personally think that they are very beautiful. I have never heard of any Vaisnava guru passing and did not want the final rites or Antyestha Samskara.

So why is that? Are they all in maya worshipping the demigods at the time of

death? No because it is very soothing and benefic to the mind, it helps those

left behind to have closure.

And similarly the other samskaras in Hinduism are to soothe people's minds, create a nice impression, like a "snapshot" moment. That is what a samskara is, a very beautiful type of performance art so elegant and refined and aristocratic in my opinion. I don't feel that it is particularly helpful to make people feel afraid of samskaras or like samskaras are some nonsense not practiced by even the greatest acharyas in the Gaudiya Vaisnava lineage.

Perform samskaras to satisfy Krsna which is recommended to Vaisanavs. Don't perform samskaras which is not recommended for Vaisanavas to satisfy demigods.

If Krsna satisfied other have to be satisfied. Otherwise there is no Supreme Personality of Godhead which is against Vaisanav's philosophy and not recommended by Supreme Personality Incarnate of Krsna, Lord Chaitannya Mohaprabhu.

Guest guest

Just answer the question simply, don't go into all this cut and paste lark or write esseys about what you like to talk about. I can't answer the question because I don't have the knowledge, otherwise I would. But I'm sure we don't need a long explanation.

Just answer the question simply, don't go into all this cut and paste lark or write esseys about what you like to talk about. I can't answer the question because I don't have the knowledge, otherwise I would. But I'm sure we don't need a long explanation.

My cutting means I cut your point which is not worth for consideration of sincere Vaisanava

Many things are sacred. Some of them are

1. sciptures of Hinduism including their contents

2. OM or more accurately AUM (a sacred syllable). AUM appears very often in scriptures. So, the point 1 above includes AUM also. But AUM is so sacred that I decided to mention it separately.

3. Swastika - a sacred symbol

4. Cow

5. Some rivers - mostly Ganga i.e. the river Ganges

6. Places of worship (temples)

7. Places of pilgrimage e.g. Kashi, Vrindavan, Pushkar and many others.

These are only some. There are many more sacred things in Hinduism.

I did not understand exactly what you mean by profane. Are you asking about words, which are considered profane? Or, are you asking about acts? Or, something else?

Yes, there are rituals performed when a child is born. But not all hindus perform the rituals the same way.

Guest guest

My cutting means I cut your point which is not worth for consideration of sincere Vaisanava

Glad to see you made the effort to reply to a point which apparetly you arn't considering. We're not all Vaishnavas and I believe she asked about Hinduism, not Vaishnavaism or any other sect, as we're also in the 'Hinduism' section of the site.