IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

What is the earliest relic of Mahabharata/Gita

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Need a archeological or otherwise artefact/relic dating Mahabharata and gita. Anyone carbon dated the palm copies in maths? Any engravings in a tample/wall with a text. Please any help will be very much appreciated.

Any pandits out there?

Namaskar.

CC

Guest guest

What is your identity?

What does CC stand for?

It stands for chaitanyachandrodaya.

I was asked a question and have to have a material to back it up

"Perhaps you can tell me, what date (and what form) is the oldest known relic of BG scripture, and is there any reliable guide to the age of the original?"

Guest guest

So far as I know, one of the earliest relics attesting to the Mahabharata in the form in which we possess it, dates to between 462 and 532 AD. It is an inscribed land grand which states ' It has been declared in the Mahabharata, the compilation embracing 100,000 verses, by the highest sage - Vyasa, the Vyasa of the Vedas, the son of Parasara...'

You may see A.A.Macdonell, A History of Sanskrit Literature, for further details. I hope this helps you somewhat, though the book is rather dated now, and I am sure there have been more recent discoveries.

Leon

Guest guest

Mahabharata and gita. Anyone carbon dated the palm copies in maths?

palm leaf manuscripts are not very old as this is not a very durable material. they rarely last over 700 years.

Guest guest

So far as I know, one of the earliest relics attesting to the Mahabharata in the form in which we possess it, dates to between 462 and 532 AD. It is an inscribed land grand which states ' It has been declared in the Mahabharata, the compilation embracing 100,000 verses, by the highest sage - Vyasa, the Vyasa of the Vedas, the son of Parasara...'

You may see A.A.Macdonell, A History of Sanskrit Literature, for further details. I hope this helps you somewhat, though the book is rather dated now, and I am sure there have been more recent discoveries.

Leon

Thank you that helps.

What about references from other sourses that rely on gita and in the same time are dated early?

Guest guest

Thank you that helps.

What about references from other sourses that rely on gita and in the same time are dated early?

Like Padmapurana?