IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

A Couple of Questions from a Neophyte

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello! I discovered Hinduism by accident a few months back after having read a biography of one of my all time favorite rock musicians. Around the same time I'd been in some not too pleasant discussions with friends who've embraced these very modern, very strict cults of Christianity -- I refuse to believe that one group will be "saved" while the rest of us will "burn in hell". I hope I don't sound too ridiculous in saying that the book I read changed my whole outlook, but it all makes so much more sense than what I've been seeing around me! Since reading it, I've been reading a lot of Vedic related books, stopped eating meat, and tried to teach myself how to meditate. The more I read, the more I want to know, and I'm getting to the point where I want to organize my spiritual life a little better.

My first question is, how does one find a bone fide spiritual leader? There are very few temples near me (southern New England) and it would seem silly to go to every Yoga center to see who seems the most authentic. I know exactly two people in my real life who are involved in Dharmism (I like that name better than Hinduism, after reading the history of the name Hindu!) one does not have a guru, and the other's guru passed away. I've been trying to make my own way, but I'm getting to the point where I think I need more guidance.

My other question is, I saw first hand that in this age of Kali, sitting down to meditate without anything to focus on is easier said than done ... passing cars, the cat announcing feeding time, all these silly things can really be distracting, so I'm thinking of trying a more japa oriented approach. So my question is, rather than chanting a mantra, can you just say it? I read of a way to make your own japa beads, and I love that idea -- so much more heartfelt than going out and buying some! I've known of the Hare Krishna mantra since I was 10, but I'm reluctant to try using it until I'm sure I'm doing it right!

So, I'm grateful that I discovered this site, and I thank everyone for any advice you might have!

My first question is, how does one find a bone fide spiritual leader? There are very few temples near me (southern New England) and it would seem silly to go to every Yoga center to see who seems the most authentic. I know exactly two people in my real life who are involved in Dharmism (I like that name better than Hinduism, after reading the history of the name Hindu!) one does not have a guru, and the other's guru passed away. I've been trying to make my own way, but I'm getting to the point where I think I need more guidance.

hi, welcome :) most people here are Vaishnavas - a "sect", i guess, that primarily emphasise bhakti yoga (devotion, love, service, to God). So most here would direct you to a Vaishnava Guru. Take things slowly, let your spritiual plant grow and decide what is best - God has given you a fraction of His intellgence to decide such things :)

My other question is, I saw first hand that in this age of Kali, sitting down to meditate without anything to focus on is easier said than done ... passing cars, the cat announcing feeding time, all these silly things can really be distracting, so I'm thinking of trying a more japa oriented approach. So my question is, rather than chanting a mantra, can you just say it? I read of a way to make your own japa beads, and I love that idea -- so much more heartfelt than going out and buying some! I've known of the Hare Krishna mantra since I was 10, but I'm reluctant to try using it until I'm sure I'm doing it right!

This is great! Of course you can say it, chant it, sing it - most of all, LOVE it ;)

Good luck to you!! :)