IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Vrindavan

Did Buddha has a guru too?

Rate this topic

where all Siddhartha Gautama's knowledge come from ?

is it just from mental speculation done by self meditation alone ?

or he received the realization or enlightenment through a guru, guide or demi-god, etc. too ?

Guest guest

where all Siddhartha Gautama's knowledge come from ?

is it just from mental speculation done by self meditation alone ?

or he received the realization or enlightenment through a guru, guide or demi-god, etc. too ?

all that knowledge comes from enlightenment, through meditation. No guru is needed for that, no demigod either. Though they certainly can HELP on the path, it is not absolutely necessary for a guru to teach a person anything after that person is already enlightened. It's only before that person is enlightened that the guru has anything to truly contribute.

Guest guest

i believe he did have two established acharyas that Buddha learned from during his initial ascetic phase of renunciation. But these guys werent his particular guru, but rather two acharyas that acted as gurus to buddha, who further mixed their philsoophy with a personal one that he adopted due to self meditation.

But these two gurus had a profound inpact upon Buddha's life and probably wouldnt have caused the buzz that Buddha did had they not inspired him in the way they did.

I forget the names of the two, but i have it in a book somewhere. when i come accross it, i will definately post the names.

Guest guest

I'm not sure what scope of meaning you give to the word guru, but Buddhas don't have gurus in a normal sense. At least, it may seem that those who are destined to be Buddhas are in the custody of a universal wisdom.

At any rate, Buddha is said to have been instructed on at least one occasion by Lord Brahma and on other occasions by other divine interventionists.

>> I'm not sure what scope of meaning you give to the word guru

in fact, i mean did his knowledge come from any scriptures, teachers/masters, etc

because many people may consider Buddha can realize the truth of many things just by meditate under a tree and get enlighten. There is no need to seek authority.

Guest guest

I believe he had a few teachers as he tried out different paths. He also is thought to have met Mahavir (Jain teacher) in dialogue but didn't agree that absolute non-violence and nudity will get you enlightenment.

Buddhas teachers must have come from the ancient Vedanta and Yoga schools as you can see the similarites with his teachings. Buddhism is based on his own findings/experiences as well as that of what he learnt from the spiritual masters and agreed with. I think Buddhist organisations may be able to tell you the names of his gurus and what schools of thought they represented.