IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

New Hope for Implementing Varnasrama Dharma ( Hey Kula, this one is for you)

Rate this topic

New Hope for Implementing Varnasrama Dharma

BY: YUDHISTIRA DAS

May 19, WEST VIRGINIA (SUN) — My name is Yudhisthira das, and I was initiated at New Vrindaban in 1972. In the years since, I have tried to follow Srila Prabhupada's instructions for developing self-sufficient farm communities "depending on Natures gifts and milk from the cow," with the view to become "independent of modern civilization, which may collapse at any moment."

Back at the turn of the century, [2000] my wife Vandevi and I purchased 22 acres from New Vrindaban, and embarked upon the task of transforming a densely forested hilltop into a self-sustaining homestead. [A work in progress.]

Several other families have subsequently bought land adjoining ours, and altogether, we own 100 acres directly across the valley from the Palace of Gold.

It is here that Big Wheeling Creek forms an oxbow, creating a "peninsula" containing flat bottom lands with deep, rich topsoil, and sloped woodlands that rise 200 feet to a gently rolling plateau. Several springs, a stand of mature tulip poplar, a large pond site, garden and orchard areas, and the location for a proposed Temple, all nestle upon this rock-rimmed promontory. There is ample timber and stone on the premises to erect the Temple and many other structures, and the potential is excellent for generating our own electricity from wind, solar, hydro, and even natural gas. In short, Krsna has provided an ideal setting here for a number of people and animals to live in a self-sufficient manner.

We few residents here could continue to develop our little homesteads as we are now doing, but have decided to reach out to the devotee community at large, to see if there is anybody out there who has a genuine interest in helping to bring into fruition Srila Prabhupada's dream of creating villages of ideal Vedic life, following the principles of Varnasrama Dharma.

If the response to our inquiry is sufficiently enthusiastic, we are prepared to form a nonprofit corporation, to be called S.P.A.R.R.O.W. Inc. [srila Prabhupada's Agrarian Rural Retreats Organization Worldwide]

Our purpose, ultimately, would be to open these rural retreats wherever devotees live in the world, but to construct the first experimental self-sufficient village here in the hills of West Virginia where we enjoy a temperate climate with a growing season that lasts from May thru October.

We would work independently of, but, hopefully, in cooperation with, the New Vrindaban community, who owns property ideally suited for such a development, on the other side of the creek.

Some of our plans include producing organically grown vegetables, grains, fruits and herbs, dairy products, maple sugar, sorghum and flowers, utilizing draft animal technology exclusively. We would like to construct a village square, encircled by attractive shops, erect cabins on wooded lots, and, most importantly, build a beautiful temple of timber and stone.

We are considering the implementation of a life-estate system wherein the members would receive a residential lot, business location in the central marketplace, a share in the agricultural enterprises, and a "reservation" at the community shelter to be built into the basement of the new temple.

We are canvassing for serious-minded souls who would like to participate in this exciting venture, and are looking for financial investors, architects and planners, craftspeople, farmers, builders and others who are willing to work together as a team, with the common goal of creating a place to live the philosophy of Krsna Consciousness in a simple country setting.

We are confident that the reader will see the urgent need to establish these rural retreats around the globe, in order to preserve the Vedic Way, so that future generations can live peacefully, execute their devotional service, perfect their lives, and return Back Home Back to Godhead.

If you are interested in learning more about SPARROW, call me at 304-547-4453, or Vrindaban das at 304-547-5823 You can also reach me by email at absolute108@cs.com

Thank you for your consideration of this very important subject matter. We look forward to hearing from you.

Your servant, Yudhisthira das Adhikary

Yudhisthira was recently here in Prabhupada Village. I like his program and hope it is a success. Problem is, SP disciples are getting old and the younger generation is not terribly interested in such projects.