IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Scriptural Source

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Namaste Sri Subbuji,

The teacher who taught me was a great Vedic/Sanskrit scholar_Sri Ramanatha Ganapaaty and he taught me not with the help of Tamil?sanskritbooks but by the process called "Adyayanam" (I hope you undrstand)I did "Adhyayanam"for about 3years--It in the convention of "Sruthi" -using "Annavaaha/Praanavaha Srothas and "Srothram"-I had to "by-heart" daily and recite next day. 

In this entire discussion not a Single person uses-including your-goodself either "ITRAN" cinvention nor Harvard-Kyoto" convention to write Sanskrit words in Roman(the so-called English)characters--If any one uses Harvard-Kyoto convention they should write "OM Namaha ZivAya"-Including your-goodself all are writing "Om Namaha Sivaya"-according to H-K convention this is to be diferently pronounced -so let us not throw stone at others-regarding "Pronunciation"-sitting in a glass house.     

you have also written that:- "Also, 'bhaargave' does not mean

anything." 

Is ther not a word "Bhargava"--Is there not aword "Bhargavi"--is there not a word "Bharga(Bhargo Devasya Dheemahi-in Gayatri)---Bhaargava-Bhaargavi-Bharga- can you please tell me from which Sanskrit root(Dhatup)these three words are derived- From the same root the word Bhaargave is also derived-it is Comound word-initially you have to seperate them into their element roots and then combine them to get the full meaning.  

You also have written:- "I do not think any of the  Kanchi Swamigals would ever recite this sloka the way you have rendered," sri-la-sri Jyendrea Saraswathi" was giving -I do not know whether now he continues that- aseries of lectures in Tamil Nadu T.V.--I will verify the channel and tell you--he has recited this sloka many times the way I have rendered-Somayaji  

subrahmanian_v <subrahmanian_v > wrote:

advaitin, Rajagopalan Somayaji <ssrvj>

wrote:

>

> Pleae read you are RIGHT.

>

> Rajagopalan Somayaji <ssrvj> wrote:  you are write---SarvE

BhadrANi pashyantu---pasyantu is omitted in posting---I regret for

the error--but the rest of the version is as taught to me by my

teacher and as used to be recited by Kanchi sri Sankaraacharya

Swami -somayaji

>

>>   

> >   "Maa kaschit duggha bhaargave"

> >  

> >

> > Rajagopalan Somayaji <ssrvj@> wrote:

> >   "Sarve Sukina Cchandu --Sarve Cchandu Niramaya--Sarve

Bhadrani -

> Maa kaschit duggha bhrgave"

> >

> > -Somayaji

> >   

> >

> Namaste Sri Somayaji,

>

> While i do not know the scriptural source of the verse, the

correct

> reading is this:

>

> SarvE Bhavantu SukhinaH, SarvE Santu NirAmayAH |

> SarvE BhadrANi pashyantu, MA kashchid DuHkha-bhaag bhavEt ||

>

> Regards,

> subbu

>   

> >      May all be happy, may all be without any disease.

> >      May all see the Good and none have any suffering whatsoever.

> >  

> >      Kenneth Larsen

Namaste Sri Somayaji,

Kindly permit me to say this: Evidently the teacher who taught you

has used a Tamil book for teaching the above Sanskrit verse.  From

what you write 'chandu' for 'santu' it is clear that the Tamil 'cha'

that is used for writing 'chandran' and 'sundaram', and

even 'shankaran' in Tamil has caused the confusion.

Further, 'duggha' is the way most Tamil people read 'duHkha' when

written in Tamil; there being no different letters

for 'ka','kha'  'ga', 'gha'.  Also, 'bhaargave' does not mean

anything.  So pl. check once again with that Teacher if that is

possible.  I do not think any of the  Kanchi Swamigals would ever

recite this sloka the way you have rendered, all of them having

undergone varying levels of studies in Sanskrit.

Warm Regards,

subbu

Discussion of Shankara's Advaita Vedanta Philosophy of nonseparablity of Atman and Brahman.

Advaitin Homepage at:http://www.advaitin.net/

To Post a message send an email to : advaitin

Messages Archived at: advaitin/messages

Visit your group "advaitin" on the web.

advaitin

Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.

Discussion of Shankara's Advaita Vedanta Philosophy of nonseparablity of Atman and Brahman.

advaitin

Terms of Service.

Guest guest

"In this entire discussion not a Single person uses-including your-goodself either "ITRAN" cinvention nor Harvard-Kyoto" convention to write Sanskrit words in Roman(the so-called English)characters--If any one uses Harvard-Kyoto convention they should write "OM Namaha ZivAya"-Including your-goodself all are writing "Om Namaha Sivaya"-according to H-K convention this is to be diferently pronounced -so let us not throw stone at others-regarding "Pronunciation"-sitting in a glass house.     

you have also written that:- "Also, 'bhaargave' does not mean

anything." 

Is ther not a word "Bhargava"--Is there not aword "Bhargavi"--is there not a word "Bharga(Bhargo Devasya Dheemahi-in Gayatri)---Bhaargava-Bhaargavi-Bharga- can you please tell me from which Sanskrit root(Dhatup)these three words are derived- From the same root the word Bhaargave is also derived-it is Comound word-initially you have to seperate them into their element roots and then combine them to get the full meaning.  

Dear Somayaji,

Please donot take offense for Sri Subrahmanian's words. Understandably, he is not criticising your training or your teacher. He is only asking you to refer back to your teacher.

As I understand your training is surely very intensive. Kindly do let me know the meaning of the word "Bhargave" after having asked your teacher regarding this. I donot know which root it comes from and what it actually means.

Also, I patently state my ignorance of any convention for Sanskrit-Roman rendering followed or existing. However, today, I read your email fully and in the end, it contains a trail of previous emails, with someone's rendering in a convention. From that I could understand the convention followed by certain people here - I think so. But not all the varnas are seen there. I could see that the sound used for the s in snake is s. a is the letter for the sound of a in about. etc. The letter t is for the sound of t in the tamil word 'tamil'. [i am sure, you would not render it as damil.]

Perhaps you would also benefit from the publication of the rendering as I would. I request some learned member to post this for my benefit.

It would be of great help if someone would point me to the convention used popularly on this list. I simply use letters of the alphabet in a the best way known to me. Yet, by no means would I render 'santu' and 'chandu'. Perhaps I am wrong. Please forgive me for this.

-Bhikku Yogi

Blab-away for as little as 1¢/min. Make  PC-to-Phone Calls using Messenger with Voice.

advaitin

Terms of Service.