IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

vegetarianism

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Is vegetarianism worth while if one does not prepare one's own food and offer it up to Krishna at a shrine? Is'nt it all sinfull anyway?

It is still less sinful then eating meat, as the pain inflicted on the animals is much greater. Also when eating vegetarian food, we are at least eating the prescribed food for humans (as per the scriptures). It may be best to eat only food offered to God, but it is still good to eat vegetarian food if we cannot do that.

Yes, vegetarianism is sinful because it still involves killing and as such we would acquire bad karma in eating the vege food. We are human being and we still need to feed ourselves to live.

However krishna made it clear in the Gita that one is free of the bad karma that has been acquired by killing the plants if and only if VEGETARIAN food is offered to him first. He will then take all the sins unto him and the food will henceforth become prasada. Prasada purify our consciousness when we partake it.

Guest guest

I disagree. I believe if you destroy something which has a soul in it only then you get bad karma. But plants and things like that do not have souls therefore it is ok to eat them.

They can't talk, move or think (according to what we know) whereas animals can do all those things.

neither can a disabled mute with severe brain damage. Plants are of the same substance as humans - they "eat", breed, grow and make up a larger part of the biosphere than all animal life put together - even scientists call plants living! Remember when the 2 gandharvas (?) were turned into trees in Vrindavan, only to be released by Krsna? They had souls!!

What to speak of plants, bacteria and viruses... hell, how do you know even rocks don't have souls? Just because they do not conform to our very narrow definition of life doesn't mean there is no sould there. Even the Sun planet - why say there is no life there even, just because our bodies are too frail to live in such conditions does not mean god didn't create beings that could.

I ramble, sorry!

I disagree. I believe if you destroy something which has a soul in it only then you get bad karma. But plants and things like that do not have souls therefore it is ok to eat them.

They can't talk, move or think (according to what we know) whereas animals can do all those things.

Seriously akshar, tell us you are joking.

Anyway in case you are not, Im just wondering about the statement you made above. Is that what BAPS preaches or is it you own statement?