IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Bhakta Don Muntean

New ABC Ten Commandments Movie...it's trash!

Rate this topic

Hare Krishna!

Did anyone watch ABC's new movie last night - The Ten Commandments?

It seems that they took a great a deal of liberty to re-write the story [and history] - in the so-called dramatization of the Exodus narration.

Two parts were in particular - quite disgusting.

The first was the scene where they stoned the man and woman for adultery/murder - it was quite nasty in it's protrayal. It was a part of the movie - not needed - what scene hit the cutters floor to keep these scenes?

The other scene was [Chapter 32] where they were killing those who had worshipped the golden calf.

This trash ABC movie showed them killing women and children [showing a very graphic slitting of their throats nonetheless!] and that is NOT in the texts.

In text 28 of Chapter 32 - it says "men":

1 And when the people saw that Moses delayed to come down from the mount, the people gathered themselves together unto Aaron, and said unto him: 'Up, make us a god who shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we know not what is become of him.' 2 And Aaron said unto them: 'Break off the golden rings, which are in the ears of your wives, of your sons, and of your daughters, and bring them unto me.' 3 And all the people broke off the golden rings which were in their ears, and brought them unto Aaron. 4 And he received it at their hand, and fashioned it with a graving tool, and made it a molten calf; and they said: 'This is thy god, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.' 5 And when Aaron saw this, he built an altar before it; and Aaron made proclamation, and said: 'To-morrow shall be a feast to the LORD.' 6 And they rose up early on the morrow, and offered burnt-offerings, and brought peace-offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to make merry. {P}

7 And the LORD spoke unto Moses: 'Go, get thee down; for thy people, that thou broughtest up out of the land of Egypt, have dealt corruptly; 8 they have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them; they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed unto it, and said: This is thy god, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.' 9 And the LORD said unto Moses: 'I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people. 10 Now therefore let Me alone, that My wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them; and I will make of thee a great nation.' 11 And Moses besought the LORD his God, and said: 'LORD, why doth Thy wrath wax hot against Thy people, that Thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand? 12 Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, saying: For evil did He bring them forth, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from Thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against Thy people. 13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Thy servants, to whom Thou didst swear by Thine own self, and saidst unto them: I will multiply your seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit it for ever.' 14 And the LORD repented of the evil which He said He would do unto His people. {P}

15 And Moses turned, and went down from the mount, with the two tables of the testimony in his hand; tables that were written on both their sides; on the one side and on the other were they written. 16 And the tables were the work of God, and the writing was the writing of God, graven upon the tables. 17 And when Joshua heard the noise of the people as they shouted, he said unto Moses: 'There is a noise of war in the camp.' 18 And he said: 'It is not the voice of them that shout for mastery, neither is it the voice of them that cry for being overcome, but the noise of them that sing do I hear.' 19 And it came to pass, as soon as he came nigh unto the camp, that he saw the calf and the dancing; and Moses' anger waxed hot, and he cast the tables out of his hands, and broke them beneath the mount. 20 And he took the calf which they had made, and burnt it with fire, and ground it to powder, and strewed it upon the water, and made the children of Israel drink of it. 21 And Moses said unto Aaron: 'What did this people unto thee, that thou hast brought a great sin upon them?' 22 And Aaron said: 'Let not the anger of my lord wax hot; thou knowest the people, that they are set on evil. 23 So they said unto me: Make us a god, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we know not what is become of him. 24 And I said unto them: Whosoever hath any gold, let them break it off; so they gave it me; and I cast it into the fire, and there came out this calf.' 25 And when Moses saw that the people were broken loose--for Aaron had let them loose for a derision among their enemies -- 26 then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said: 'Whoso is on the LORD'S side, let him come unto me.' And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto him. 27 And he said unto them: 'Thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel: Put ye every man his sword upon his thigh, and go to and fro from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.' 28 And the sons of Levi did according to the word of Moses; and there fell of the people that day about three thousand men. 29 And Moses said: 'Consecrate yourselves to-day to the LORD, for every man hath been against his son and against his brother; that He may also bestow upon you a blessing this day.' 30 And it came to pass on the morrow, that Moses said unto the people: 'Ye have sinned a great sin; and now I will go up unto the LORD, peradventure I shall make atonement for your sin.' 31 And Moses returned unto the LORD, and said: 'Oh, this people have sinned a great sin, and have made them a god of gold. 32 Yet now, if Thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray Thee, out of Thy book which Thou hast written.' 33 And the LORD said unto Moses: 'Whosoever hath sinned against Me, him will I blot out of My book. 34 And now go, lead the people unto the place of which I have spoken unto thee; behold, Mine angel shall go before thee; nevertheless in the day when I visit, I will visit their sin upon them.' 35 And the LORD smote the people, because they made the calf, which Aaron made. {S}

So what important point - do we have here:

“…And Moses said unto Aaron: 'What did this people unto thee, that thou hast brought a great sin upon them?' 22 And Aaron said: 'Let not the anger of my lord wax hot; thou knowest the people, that they are set on evil… And when Moses saw that the people were broken loose--for Aaron had let them loose for a derision among their enemies…”

So clearly Aaron didn’t want to do it – he certainly didn’t start it!

Instead he went along with them because he knew the result must come – and that was a falling away of those who had no faith in God – after all the wonders that brought them out of Egypt – what to speak - he obviously feared for his life if he didn’t do as they asked.

So we clearly see that it is said: “Aaron had let them loose for a derision among their enemies”.

In chapter 32 of Exodus it is clearly said in text 28:

"...there fell of the people that day about three thousand men."

It says MEN - so where did they get women and children from?

It is so very sad that people will do that.

I think that the producers of this film - even if they are not anti-semitic - they have in fact with this movie - advanced an presentation of the Exodus narration which is anti-semitic.

How many people saw that killing and went :burn:because they thought that is what the texts read - when in fact - there is no mention of killing women and children in the golden calf chapter.

I hope that people looked it up in their Bibles and noted the serious indiscretion of this movie.

I hope that this trash ABC movie has been lost somewhere - now that it has been aired [and having seeded some prejudice and maybe even hate in some people] - ABC aught to have known better.

We should complain to ABC...

YS,

Bhakta Don Muntean

Here is something from the producers:

This will be the most biblically accurate telling of the story to date. I insisted on accuracy.

http://www.rhifilms.com/ten/qa.html

Well we can easily see that they failed in that!

Then there is this:

...I think if you talk honestly about religion, we should have different opinions as to the story itself and discuss the advantages and the disadvantages of The Ten Commandments. Maybe we should also talk about dogma and fanaticism and a whole bunch of issues that the old movie took for granted and just accepted as a heroic deed....I am trying to create the Bible the best way I can. I have three full Bibles. One goes back to the 1800s and I have read every word in it. Beyond that, I went to a strict Calvinist school for about ten years, where they beat the hell out of me with the Bible. I was able to read it backwards and forwards. It’s the best I can do....

http://www.abcmedianet.com/showpage/showpage.html?program_id=002022&type=crew

His best wasn't good enough.

What is that crack about dogma and fanaticism and a whole bunch of issues that the old movie took for granted and just accepted as a heroic deed - very telling words?

I am not a Jew or Christian. I'm a Vaisnava, so what?

Do ya treasure the telling of these lies? :ponder:

Do you see the personality of kali's subtle atheistic push which is moving strong - against all faiths?

It falls onto each group through different expressions - depending on the faith attacked - but - the goal is the same - to have [non-devoted] peoples think of faith and God as antiquated - even primitive. This IS going on.

Even lukewarm followers of faiths help this program progress in leaps and bounds. Do you know how? By not knowing scriptures. All the time in the world to read volumes of trash but - not a moment to read about God - these are the ones that have tendency to hear from others and they don't follow up on what they hear.

Look and See - Hear and Listen. This is one invaluable trick to not being conditioned by the communist [and other] propagandists that would just as soon see everyone forget God.

Why with your God-given understanding do you have to see yourself [and vaishnavism] as being something so very completely incompatible with other faiths?

Have you ever read the bible [since reading Prabhupada] with an eye to seeing deep truths therein?

You live within a world of other faiths - we do have to get along with them [right :deal:] and - saying that you do not care if they are defamed - is not very broadminded.

Some Jewish and Christian organizations gave Srila Prabhupada a hard time in the early days - for [mostly from a sense of shock and fear for his so-called] taking of their youth - into another seemingly very foreign faith group - but - far more Jews and Christians supported Srila Prabhupada - especially the intelligentsia from these groups.

What if when seeing the trouble to which Srila Prabhupada was being subjected to at various times - what if they too they had thought - "I'm not a Vaisnava, so what?"

So now here today - what if the devotees in Russia [and in Turkmenistan too] continue to have problems with the government there - do you want the Jews and the Christians [and Muslims] around the world to say of these devotees being defamed and worse - "I'm not a Vaisnava, so what?" - really - do think about it! :eek3:

BDM

Yeah I saw the movie and there were parts of it where I did get the sense that the folks from Hollywood were trying to make some kind of social statement against Christianity. They were probably trying to say that Moses is George Bush or something. You never can tell for sure because everyone in the media seems to have some sort of agenda these days now no matter how subtle it can be.

I have even heard Hindus that have amazing misconceptions about their own faith. I once talked to a Taco selling Brahmin from Texas who insisted that Arjuna was a fool for sharing his wife with his brothers and said that Krishna was nothing but a rooster let loose in a hen house. The guy claimed to be a descendent of high brahmin lineage from India.

Yeah I saw the movie and there were parts of it where I did get the sense that the folks from Hollywood were trying to make some kind of social statement against Christianity. They were probably trying to say that Moses is George Bush or something. You never can tell for sure because everyone in the media seems to have some sort of agenda these days now no matter how subtle it can be.

I have even heard Hindus that have amazing misconceptions about their own faith. I once talked to a Taco selling Brahmin from Texas who insisted that Arjuna was a fool for sharing his wife with his brothers and said that Krishna was nothing but a rooster let loose in a hen house. The guy claimed to be a descendent of high brahmin lineage from India.

Hare Bolo!

Yes this movie was presenting a subtle slant that was directed at Moses and the early Hebrew faith - but it also reflected on Christianity and Islam as well - as these faiths derive from the former.

Of course much of the law of Moses is also the laws of Manu - so there is no question of the law - there is question to the point of the interpretations and utilization of the law of God as given through various hands.

There was one point in the movie when after the death of the first born Moses had a visit from his alleged foster brother - an egyptian.

He was shown as being raised with this fellow - in any case - when the guy showed up he had his departed son with him and he says to Moses that his God was a cruel God then he asked if Moses would kill him too if his God asked it of him and the moses guy didn't answer.

That episode was all fictional - yet the passion [against all God people] that it engendered in its presentation - is all too real.

This movie spent too much time showing the Hebrews - as it wasn't. Why?

Yes the media is being used to degrade people and their opinions of God and religion in general. Who is responsible? It is the personality of Kali - he is exploiting individuals wherever possible. Much of it simply appears 'no mindedly' - as a result of the pushing of the modes of passion and ignorance.

Those people who don't like to be aware of these modes of nature are easy targets for the personality of kali.

They really ticked me off with how they presented Moses - it was unfair.

Mr. Bush you mention - well I credit him with having a faith and wanting to improve that faith - I believe that his understanding of The Object of his Faith is broadening and God is reciprocating with him now more than ever.

Just a hunch but soon we shall see him embrace a broad public change.

I think one thing is also important for us to understand - we may have more hope with conservatives than with liberals - conservatives understand many points like us - such as - on TV - there doesn't need to be so much filth!

It's at every other word in most programs - there is TOO MUCH so-called liberal expression and what is the effect on the generation that grows up in this intense filth environment?

So conservative leaders are at some point going to be more inclined to clean some of this up - but - we must hope that they take proper guidence from Prabhupada - with regard to time and circumstances - when doing the needfull.

With that - two things must be their resolve - actually being motivated by sincere desires to clean things up and - not acting with duplicity in its execution.

I pray for our leaders that they shall soon turn onto Srila Prabupada.

Srila Prabhupada says that his books shall be the law books of mankind - well it shall have to start somewhere sometime some generation is going to do this - why not here and now.

Srila Prabhupada says that we need a perfect dictator!

So one day mankind shall leave aside all this toying with the lower modes of nature - in connection to the activities of the personality of kali.

Right now quarrel is being poised to shake everyone hard! We are doing it to ourselves!

So as Prabhupada says that even if there were someone proper to vote for - it would be near impossible to educate everyone to elect that person - he says that it is easier to educate the leaders - serve the root and the whole plant is saved. Serve the leaves and the plant withers and dies.

So we must post Srila Prabhupada and hope that we get their attention and that they are turned onto Prabhupada.

I think that that 'taco guy' was a riot - just see - how can we get people sincerely interested in having to save the world from the ruin of degredation and ruin - when there are so many people who wish to embrace ignorance?

Without a doubt if we cannot save our leaders - we cannot save the world of lost souls!

I hope that one day I get millions of dollars and I'll make great faith based movies that shall induce real understanding and respect - for all faiths and respect for The Object of All Faiths - God.

YS,

BDM

Guest guest

I sat down ready to watch this Ten Commandments Movie thinking its going to be great and When I saw it ..I was a little disappointed. The graphics was really bad and also the part when they killed the children I felt shocked. I hope next year they do a better job.

Hare Bolo!

Yes this movie was presenting a subtle slant that was directed at Moses and the early Hebrew faith - but it also reflected on Christianity and Islam as well - as these faiths derive from the former.

Of course much of the law of Moses is also the laws of Manu - so there is no question of the law - there is question to the point of the interpretations and utilization of the law of God as given through various hands.

There was one point in the movie when after the death of the first born Moses had a visit from his alleged foster brother - an egyptian.

He was shown as being raised with this fellow - in any case - when the guy showed up he had his departed son with him and he says to Moses that his God was a cruel God then he asked if Moses would kill him too if his God asked it of him and the moses guy didn't answer.

That episode was all fictional - yet the passion [against all God people] that it engendered in its presentation - is all too real.

This movie spent too much time showing the Hebrews - as it wasn't. Why?

Yes the media is being used to degrade people and their opinions of God and religion in general. Who is responsible? It is the personality of Kali - he is exploiting individuals wherever possible. Much of it simply appears 'no mindedly' - as a result of the pushing of the modes of passion and ignorance.

Those people who don't like to be aware of these modes of nature are easy targets for the personality of kali.

They really ticked me off with how they presented Moses - it was unfair.

Mr. Bush you mention - well I credit him with having a faith and wanting to improve that faith - I believe that his understanding of The Object of his Faith is broadening and God is reciprocating with him now more than ever.

Just a hunch but soon we shall see him embrace a broad public change.

I think one thing is also important for us to understand - we may have more hope with conservatives than with liberals - conservatives understand many points like us - such as - on TV - there doesn't need to be so much filth!

It's at every other word in most programs - there is TOO MUCH so-called liberal expression and what is the effect on the generation that grows up in this intense filth environment?

So conservative leaders are at some point going to be more inclined to clean some of this up - but - we must hope that they take proper guidence from Prabhupada - with regard to time and circumstances - when doing the needfull.

With that - two things must be their resolve - actually being motivated by sincere desires to clean things up and - not acting with duplicity in its execution.

I pray for our leaders that they shall soon turn onto Srila Prabupada.

Srila Prabhupada says that his books shall be the law books of mankind - well it shall have to start somewhere sometime some generation is going to do this - why not here and now.

Srila Prabhupada says that we need a perfect dictator!

So one day mankind shall leave aside all this toying with the lower modes of nature - in connection to the activities of the personality of kali.

Right now quarrel is being poised to shake everyone hard! We are doing it to ourselves!

So as Prabhupada says that even if there were someone proper to vote for - it would be near impossible to educate everyone to elect that person - he says that it is easier to educate the leaders - serve the root and the whole plant is saved. Serve the leaves and the plant withers and dies.

So we must post Srila Prabhupada and hope that we get their attention and that they are turned onto Prabhupada.

I think that that 'taco guy' was a riot - just see - how can we get people sincerely interested in having to save the world from the ruin of degredation and ruin - when there are so many people who wish to embrace ignorance?

Without a doubt if we cannot save our leaders - we cannot save the world of lost souls!

I hope that one day I get millions of dollars and I'll make great faith based movies that shall induce real understanding and respect - for all faiths and respect for The Object of All Faiths - God.

YS,

BDM

I hope you make those millions because that would be a tremedous service to the Lord to make faith based movies. I didn't mean to be mean to Bush, I voted for him and usually vote conservative. Sometimes I listen to the conspiracy theorists and they hit so hard on Bush that I think maybe they are right. Actually don't know for sure but I like your approach best. Best to pray for our leaders and pray they take council from Prabhupada.

Christians have been making all sort of claims and misinterpretation of the 10 Commandments and Old Testament for years. No need to complain anywhere. Even Jews don't bother about it anymore.

After all, how can you bother to take anything seriously from a society which potray 10 Commandments (two of them is they be nice to their neighbours and they do not commit adultery) WHEN Christians make war for nearly 500 years and Christian nations are biggest producers of porn materials?

Christians have been making all sort of claims and misinterpretation of the 10 Commandments and Old Testament for years. No need to complain anywhere. Even Jews don't bother about it anymore.

After all, how can you bother to take anything seriously from a society which potray 10 Commandments (two of them is they be nice to their neighbours and they do not commit adultery) WHEN Christians make war for nearly 500 years and Christian nations are biggest producers of porn materials?

Everyone is full of faults in Kali-yuga. Best to pray for people to follow the rules of their religion, that is what Prabhupada did. He had great respect for Christianity as I have seen quotes that say Christianity is a form of Vaisnavism and that Prabhupada has no war with Christianity. All he asked is for Christians to please follow their commandments. He didn't make fun of them.

I saw part one of the new Ten Commandments and couldn't even guess at why they thought they should make another version.

But I loved Bruce Almighty. It was actually a real preaching movie; not to mention the ten biggest laughs I've had in years. Sitting all alone in the jungle, and still I could be heard roaring on the other side of the galaxy! I was impressed with the movie's grasp of religion. Here's a real gem clip in which God (dressed in white) speaks with Bruce: Loving God

A couple of weekends ago while visiting family Bruce Almighty was on the tv. I'd never seen it before and got a good laugh too. I only got the audio of your clip gHari, but yes.. when I watched the film I thought this was a gem too.

I saw part one of the new Ten Commandments and couldn't even guess at why they thought they should make another version.

But I loved Bruce Almighty. It was actually a real preaching movie; not to mention the ten biggest laughs I've had in years. Sitting all alone in the jungle, and still I could be heard roaring on the other side of the galaxy! I was impressed with the movie's grasp of religion. Here's a real gem clip in which God (dressed in white) speaks with Bruce: Loving God

Yes I liked it too - right down to the prayer beads - I think it's Jim Carey's best film.

I liked the part when he could hear all the prayers - from within a few blocks and - he could not tolerate it.

I often think about that 'roar' of voices God hears and how only God could have that going on and not be affected by it.

Of course there was the usual sex in this film but despite that - it was good - it may even have made people think about 'God the Person' rather than 'God the Entity'.

YS,

BDM

Everyone is full of faults in Kali-yuga. Best to pray for people to follow the rules of their religion, that is what Prabhupada did. He had great respect for Christianity as I have seen quotes that say Christianity is a form of Vaisnavism and that Prabhupada has no war with Christianity. All he asked is for Christians to please follow their commandments. He didn't make fun of them.

Good answer...

YS,

Such a poor estimation you have....why?

I hope you make those millions because that would be a tremedous service to the Lord to make faith based movies. I didn't mean to be mean to Bush, I voted for him and usually vote conservative. Sometimes I listen to the conspiracy theorists and they hit so hard on Bush that I think maybe they are right. Actually don't know for sure but I like your approach best. Best to pray for our leaders and pray they take council from Prabhupada.

I'll get it God willing and Bush ah he's ok - I too have been too hard on him...:idea:

I don't own a TV so I didn't catch this movie. But I found a very perceptive review and analysis of it:

Was Moses Jewish? Not On ABC

<!--

--> Written by Jack Engelhard

Saturday, April 15, 2006 In this ABC made-for-TV production of "The Ten Commandments" we have a new Moses, ethnically and religiously cleansed.

As played by Dougray Scott (Charlton Heston, not), Moses has been homogenized, pasteurized, sanitized, and dry-cleaned so as not to offend any race, religion, or creed. This Moses (as opposed to the Moses of the Bible and even the Moses of Cecil B. DeMille) is not Hebrew, and in fact he's not anything but multi-cultural.

Along both parts of this series (new and improved over DeMille!) that ran Monday and Tuesday, April 10 and 11, the word "Hebrew" never came up, neither attached to him or to his people, yes, the Hebrews. The best this fat-free, low-calorie script could do was refer to Moses as a "slave" and later, as the "leader" of a "people."

What people? That, we do not know, and that we must not know for then it will be assumed that our heritage is (dear Lord!) Judeo/Christian. To let that word get out (if you ask the film-makers and ABC) would be a sin. So if you tuned in late and missed the promo hoopla, you would not know that this is a biblical event, but rather just another episode of "Survivor" or "LOST" or "The Amazing Race."

Also, in this drama, Pharaoh comes off better than Moses, really. Pharaoh is a nicer guy, or just as nice, to keep the storyline on an Equal Opportunity level so that nobody or everybody gets offended, equally, in case ABC has plans to distribute this in today's Egypt. (The gods of Al-Jazeera and the ACLU must be appeased.)

The lapses in this (Hallmark?) telling are so enormous (spirituality? zero) that this ABC God of this ABC Moses is less all-powerful than Donald Trump.

Jews (by the number Six Million and still counting in Israel itself), of course, know what it means to be religiously cleansed, and so do Christians, who dare not pray or display any piety outside of church and home. Any sign of Christianity (even during holy days) in schoolyards and courtyards--well, strictly forbidden.

Who thought this day would come, when a biblical story is consigned to the heaping Sheol of political correctness? I did, and I'll bet you did.

Imagine, please, the story of Jesus with no mention of the Christian faith that followed? That must be next in ABC's made-for-television pipeline--Christianity cleansed of Christians. But there will be no riots. Imagine, however, the story Mohammed with no mention of Islam? ABC and all the rest of the MSM would not dare!

The people who make the movies for the big screen and small screen, they know that Jews and Christians can take a joke, and even an insult. Complaints, yes, over "The Da Vinci Code" and there were even some letters to the editor when the Brooklyn Museum of Art featured Jesus in association with "dung art."

We (Christians and Jews) don't much appreciate being hustled, so we sign petitions, or just shrug.

But the Religion of Peace? We all saw what happened when the (false) rumor circulated about a Koran being flushed down a toilet at Gitmo. Riots everywhere. We know what happened to Dutch film-maker Theo van Gogh when he stepped out to film some grim truth about Islam's treatment of women.

Hollywood (which raised nary a voice in protest) sure took note.

Hands off, then, for Islam. Don't mess with that crowd. The rest of us, by contrast, are open to cleansing and even ridicule. In that movie "Meet the Fockers" there's a dog in there, and the dog's name is Moses, and what happens to this dog? He is flushed down a toilet.

Imagine a flick with a dog named Mohammed--and then flushed down a toilet. That would never happen, and shouldn't.

But we took it from that (horrible) movie and we'll take again from this sorry ABC spectacle that refuses to let us know what "people" gave us the ten rules of behavior that regulate us and keep us civilized to this day. There is always DeMille's version that is also being run by ABC-TV, and that's not perfect, either (many liberties taken of biblical truth), but here at least when Heston says "let my people go," he means the Jewish people. (Known then as Hebrews.)

But that, remember, was filmed when Christianity and Judaism were not yet secularized and cleansed but still Gospel and kosher.

Guest guest

Christians teach that the 10 commandments show that Hindus are pagan idolaters.

They have used the "thou shalt not make unto me any graven images" to bash and condemn Hindus..

I doubt too many Hindus are concerned with this movie. We have a hard enough time defending our beliefs, with the abrahamic faiths.

Guest guest

Christianity considers Prabhupada's KC movement a cult, and a work of the devil to seduce souls with eastern beliefs and practices. Protestant and Catholic Christians do not believe anything like Hare Krishnas, and believe Hare Krishnas are doomed for hell if they do not accept Jesus Christ as their personal Lord & Saviour.

From the biblical Christian perspective, it is their duty to "contend for the faith once delivered unto the saints", and fight against false gospels and other religious movements: declaring that Jesus Christ alone can save souls from the wrath of God.

BDM, you are much too preoccupied with defending the minutia of your pet tradition. Truth is, people of that tradition sacked and burnt entire towns as an offering to their god:

"Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)"

so the version produced by ABC is not that far off the mark

Guest guest

Christians teach that the 10 commandments show that Hindus are pagan idolaters.

They have used the "thou shalt not make unto me any graven images" to bash and condemn Hindus..

I doubt too many Hindus are concerned with this movie. We have a hard enough time defending our beliefs, with the abrahamic faiths.

Not to mention the other commandment, where Jehovah says "thou shalt have no other gods before me". If you read the Old Testament, you will find Jehovah is always furious at those who who worship any demigod but him. There is nothing like the patience and understanding of Krishna in the Bhagavad Gita.

Let's face it, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, Durga, and yes Krishna, are seen as false gods by those from the Judeo-Christian religion, who believe in the 10 commandments.

Jews reject Krishna as a false "gentile" deity, and in no way equate him with their god. And Christians reject hindus as polytheistic pagans. The 10 commandments have repeatedly been thrown in Hindu faces, to try and convince Hindus that they are pagans, that need to repent and submit before Jehovah (the One True God).

SB 9.16.18-19:

<center>tad-raktena nadIM ghorAm

abrahmaNya-bhayAvahAm

hetuM kRtvA pitR-vadhaM

kSatre 'maGgala-kAriNi

triH-sapta-kRtvaH pRthivIM

kRtvA niHkSatriyAM prabhuH

samanta-paJcake cakre

zoNitodAn hradAn nava

</center>

tat-raktena--by the blood of the sons of KArtavIryArjuna; nadIm--a river; ghorAm--fierce; abrahmaNya-bhaya-AvahAm--causing fear to the kings who had no respect for brahminical culture; hetum--cause; kRtvA--accepting; pitR-vadham--the killing of his father; kSatre--when the whole royal class; amaGgala-kAriNi--was acting very inauspiciously; triH-sapta-kRtvaH--twenty-one times; pRthivIm--the entire world; kRtvA--making; niHkSatriyAm--without a kSatriya dynasty; prabhuH--the Supreme Lord, ParazurAma; samanta-paJcake--at the place known as Samanta-paJcaka; cakre--he made; zoNita-udAn--filled with blood instead of water; hradAn--lakes; nava--nine.

With the blood of the bodies of these sons, Lord ParazurAma created a ghastly river, which brought great fear to the kings who had no respect for brahminical culture. Because the kSatriyas, the men of power in government, were performing sinful activities, Lord ParazurAma, on the plea of retaliating for the murder of his father, rid all the kSatriyas from the face of the earth twenty-one times. Indeed, in the place known as Samanta-paJcaka he created nine lakes filled with their blood.

PURPORT

ParazurAma is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and his eternal mission is paritrANAya sAdhUnAM vinAzAya ca duSkRtAm [bg. 4.8]--to protect the devotees and annihilate the miscreants. To kill all the sinful men is one among the tasks of the incarnation of Godhead. Lord ParazurAma killed all the kSatriyas twenty-one times consecutively because they were disobedient to the brahminical culture. That the kSatriyas had killed his father was only a plea; the real fact is that because the kSatriyas, the ruling class, had become polluted, their position was inauspicious. Brahminical culture is enjoined in the zAstra, especially in Bhagavad-gItA (cAtur-varNyaM mayA sRSTaM guNa-karma-vibhAgazaH [bg. 4.13]).

According to the laws of nature, whether at the time of ParazurAma or at the present, if the government becomes irresponsible and sinful, not caring for brahminical culture, there will certainly be an incarnation of God like ParazurAma to create a devastation by fire, famine, pestilence or some other calamity. Whenever the government disrespects the supremacy of the personality of Godhead and fails to protect the institution of varNAzrama-dharma, it will certainly have to face such catastrophes as formerly brought about by Lord ParazurAma.

I`m a catholic.But i don`t consider the Hare Krsna movement as a cult.The problem is dessimating the right information regarding this great act initiated by Krsna himself, Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu.

I saw this movie on television," Carol,the Man who became Pope" whom we all knew as Pope John Paul II.It was Carol Woztyla of Chekoslovakia, if you still don`t have any idea, who first introduced Ecumenism in the roman catholic church, so that all can, except atheists, participate in the eucharistic celebration of glorifying God the Father.

But why did Pope John Paul II remove this "veil" of the church which has been since time immemorial barred non-christians from attending the Mass? What led the Pope to change this view in his heart from an anti-communist to an ecumenist advocate?

Believe it or not.It came one fruitful day, when " The Man who became Pope" read Bhagavad-Gita As It Is and Srimad Bhagavatam given to him by this " Man who became Swamiji Jesus" whom Pope John Paul II in Vatican met in the person of His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, which the Pope knew was the Avatar who began inundating the whole world with the love Krsna consciousness in the early 70s.

The song, " My Sweet Lord" composed and sang by Beatle George Harrison was probably written for Carol, the Man who became Pope.

Guest guest

The God of Moses (Jehovah) claims to be the One True God, and that all other gods must be rejected as pagan deities. Vaisnavas claim to follow Lord Krishna as the Supreme God. But some also seem drawn toward to Judaism. Hmmm.

Those Vaisnavas (or whatever Vedic sect) that accept that the Old Testament is true, have many questions to ask themselves:

was it Lord Krishna who sent the plagues upon Egypt? Was it Lord Krishna who appeared to Moses at Mt. Sinai and gave the 10 commandments? Did Lord Krishna choose the Jewish people over all others, to be his holy nation? and was it him who told the Jews to take the land for themselves, driving out all the heathen gentiles..?

Furthermore, did Lord Krishna send his only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, to be a sin offering for us, the Passover Lamb that takes away the sin of the world? Is it Jesus Christ, and faith is his sacrifice for our sins, that alone can save us from the wrath that is to come? Was Peter right when he said there is none other name given under heaven whereby we must be saved?

If so, I think we should all become Christians. Repent and be baptized, everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of your sins (if you believe in the Bible).