IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Bailey

I am new

Rate this topic

To explain the entire ordeal...I was in a wreck not to long ago. My late boyfriend and I were both thrown from the truck. He didn't make it through. I haven't really ever believed...in anything. Until after all this, I've been looking around at different religons to see which one fits in with my beliefs. No luck. My question is simple, can anyone help me to understand the beliefs of Hinduism better?

That is really no answer. More like a zen koan.

I am not a hindu so I can't answer for them. Although I know there are so many different beliefs that people call hindu it can be very confusing. I can only speak for myself.

You have just had a very traumatic experience. The best thing that can come from such an experience is that it shakes us up enough to where we are almost forced to reexamine our lives and the meaning of life in general. It all may seem so pointless yet we sense there is a higher purpose at work.

I have found much comfort and knowledge that explains the whys to questions like this and mostly from the books of A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami. His books are on-line at the link below on this post.

As I take it your search for religion is really a search for God. I can't point you to a religion but our Lord lives within the heart of everyone and not just the religious among us. That means you and I have immediate access to the ear of God and if we simple pray and ask Him to guide us He surely will. Pray that He reveal Himself and show you the answers that you seek.

God has an unlimited number of names and they vary from culture to culture but ultimately there are not many gods that we need to weigh one against the other to choose the strongest from. There is one Supreme Lord over all lords and if we have it in mind to call out to Him it is He that will answer.

The name I am most attracted to is Krishna. Those that have developed personal loving relationships with Him have given us this most powerful mantra/prayer that we can repeat and which consists simply of three names of the Supreme. Hare, Krishna and Rama.

It goes like this:

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna

Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama

Rama Rama Hare Hare

Hare sounds like ha-ray and is a call for the mercy of the Lord and Krishna and Rama are names of the Lord. Anyone can memorize and repeat this prayer anytime they want. It really helps very much.

I am glad you found this forum and I hope you stick around while engaged in your search. We are all doing the same thing.

God bless

Guest guest

I would like to concur with the previous post. I have had experiences worth forgetting but that to me was a blessing in disguise.

After reading Srila Prabhupada 's books and chanting the Maha Mantra

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

my life has not been the same since. Srila Prabhupada books and chanting can change the way you see life. Very wonderful. You should try!

Haribol!

anand

I would like to confirm that I have also found the teachings of AC Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada a great blessing.

In Bhagavad Gita Chapter 7 verse 16 it says:

"Four kinds of pious people begin to render devotional service unto Me- the distressed, the desirer of wealth, the inquisitive, and one who is searching for knowledge of the Absolute."

There are many schools of thought which can be classed under the category of Hinduism. Swami Prabhupada teaches in the line of Bhakti-Yoga, Devotional Yoga. This Bhakti-Yoga teaches that God (Krishna) has a personal tangible form, that He is fully loving, and that the living entity can enter a fully loving reciprocal relationship with Him.

My spiritual quest was initiated by many questions on the nature of suffering. And I have found much peace in this Bhakti(Devotional) Yoga process.

There is a very small book by Swami Prabhupada called ,"Beyond Birth and Death." www.krishna.com/e-books/ , and the first chapter is entitled, "We Are Not These Bodies."

Swami Prabhupada goes on to say that the very first step in self(spiritual)-realisation is realising one's identity as seperate from the body. "I am not this body but am spirit soul."

One's identity as pure spirit soul can be detected by its symptom, which is consciousness.

I can highly recommend Swami Prabhupada's books, as he has a great gift in explaining very simply and concisely higher spiritual truths. If read very closely his books hold many keys for spiritual growth and awakening.

Anyhow, I wish you all the best on your spiritual journey, and as Theist so nicely said:

I am glad you found this forum and I hope you stick around while engaged in your search. We are all doing the same thing.

God bless

Guest guest

Haribol, and I will contribute mo latah.

If one understands the word "surrender" and also understands the conclusion of theism, especially Krsnas final point (in bhagavad gita) that one surrender to Him above even the practice of religion, we can have council in our setbacks.

Surrender means having no other option. One who is victorious on the battlefield has no need, nor desire, to surrender. Only those thoroughly trounced and defeated in all aspects have the capability to surrender. Arjuna was reduced to a whimpering person without dharma when Krsna sang to Him on the chariot. He threw away the weapon of Indra, the weapon of Siva, even battled Krsna over his friendship. He could not operate the Brahmastra, all his arrows were scattered all over the floor of his chariot (which is ultimate disgrace for a Ksatriya).

So, all us may say "surrender", but this is ludicrous instruction if whom we say this to is not defeated.

I share your defeat, newcomer. I am defeated constantly. All my friends are dead, all my spiritual masters have left this plane and left me to this horrible armaggeddon by myself, and Im a lover, not a warrior. So what do I do? Late at night, after work, I grab my harmonium and sing the names of Krsna, in particualr, a song by Narottama Das, about the six goswamis, a song rich in the names of God and His confidential associates. I cant do this song in public, because I lose my composure. I do this because these are the TERMS of surrender to Krsna, given by Srila Prabhupada, who has left me all alone, yet speaks to me anyway. Chant Krsnas Names, over and over, this is how my constant defeat at the hands of illusion is rectified.

As gHari noted on another excellent topic, the proof is in the tasting, and late at night, while chanting "Hare Harayah Namah", the flavor comes thru.

Hare Krsna, and please stay on the line for awhile, ys, mahaksadasa

Guest guest

Hello Bailey,

I would like to help you understand Hindu Religion.

Vaishali

To explain the entire ordeal...I was in a wreck not to long ago. My late boyfriend and I were both thrown from the truck. He didn't make it through. I haven't really ever believed...in anything. Until after all this, I've been looking around at different religons to see which one fits in with my beliefs. No luck. My question is simple, can anyone help me to understand the beliefs of Hinduism better?