IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mohankrishna

The contents of the Vedas

Rate this topic

Hare Krishna!

I am hoping someone who is well versed in the Vedas (or any Veda) will answer this question. Though all comments are ofcourse wolcome.

Sayana, in his commentary on one of the verses in the Rig Veda, states the speed of light. How does he arrive at this?

Also, slightly away from this topic - How did archeologists put a date on the Rig Veda?

Thank you

Hare Krishna!

MohanKrishna

Guest guest

Hello,

Could you email me the verse or the shloka where the speed of light is being talked about? I am curious as to how it is being explained or the intent of the verse. I am also interested in reading the vedas and have studied some verses from the Rig veda.

Thanks.

SG

sagali04@

I would not comment on your first question. Even if he arrived at a close result that would be a chance. But I will answer your second question. Vedas are unbroken remembrances of men from pre-glacial times. Aryans, who lived in a sub-polar region where there was a month-long dawn or dusk and a two or three-month night (mentioned in the Vedas as 'Ati-Ratra', during which the Ashvamedha ceremony was held) and had their sacrificial year of nine or ten-month duration (Navagwah, Dashagwah). According to the Parsi Avesta (Parsis were Aryans from India who migrated to Iran because of the heat and fever in the Sapta-Sindhu region, mentioned as their fifteenth home). Aryans had to move out of their homeland because of advent of the ice-age. Avesta also mentions a deluge with a difference, a deluge of snow, where God (Ahur Mazda) warned Yima (King of Men, Indian Yama) and Yima made an enclosure where he saved specimen of vegetation and animals. So, the remembrances in Avesta are perhaps clearer on this point than that of Vedas. In the Hindu story of Manu, water replaces snow because it does not snow in Sapta-Sindhu region. The two books at places are exact copies of each other. The first clear astronomical event mentioned in the Vedas is rising of sun on the day corresponding to Vernal equinox (April 14) in 'Punarvasu' nakshatra. Astronomers have calculated that to have happened in 8,500 years ago. This theory is based on Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar's views on 'Arctic Homes in Vedas' (I could have given you the URL but forum policy does not allow that, you may check on Google for 'Vaidilute', 'Tilak', and 'Arctic Homes').

hi there. i sense atheism...if i'm right, what sort or atheism is it - the kind where one says " there is no god" or the kind that says "hmm, i don't know whether there is a god, but i don't know if he is not there either" ?

if i am mistaken- my apologies.

are you well versed in sanskrit grammar and the vedas? ( i don't mean reading english translations).

Guest guest

You are right, it is 'Atheism With Hinduism'. I have studied Sanskrit but at a very elementary level, so the English translations for me, but there are a lot of them on the internet, you have to see a few before you arrive at any conclusions. This is helped by family samskaras (my grandfather wrote perhaps the latests of the smritis, of 8000 verses 'Vishweshwarasmriti' in 1950; and translated Lokmanya Balgangadhar Tilak's two books in Hindi, the 'Orion' or the 'Antiquity of Vedas' and 'Arctic Homes in Vedas').

So (a clear there are no Gods) 'Atheism With Hinduism' accepts 'Brahman' as the substrate of the universe, equates IT with Quantum Fields and Super Strings, makes it necessary to understand IT and not to worship IT, goes with the Upanishadic writing that 'those who worship the manifest are in darkness and in greater darkness are those who worship the unmanifest', accepts Rama and Krishna as the heroes of Indian myths from whose example we derive our way to live.

Sorry to be writing after a gap of three months, I am not a regular visitor here. Regards.

Guest guest

Mohankrishna, I am a regular at Wikipedia Hinduism pages and at iidb.org. I believe that Aryan philosophies are from the aboriginals hailing from the Siberian regions who migrated 20000 years ago when the ice-age made it impossible for them to live in their homeland, and finally arrived in India some six thousand years ago (by 3,129 BC, they were fighting the Kurukshetra war). Vedas are the history and songs of these people. The Hindu philosophies of Shiva and Vishnu were developed by the modern humans who settled in India after fanning out of Africa some 70,000 years ago and travelling along the coast of Arabia, Iran, and India to finally reach Australia some 60,000 years ago.

Theres a list of people family line, in Pakistain. Dating back to 5000 years (this is from Indian, Sikh and Muslims). So there is a Guru 'list' like this as well But people tend to not believe in fairy tales. They will believe in their family line though.

Aupmanyav

I agree with you and I am not aware that Sayana states the speed of light. However I have come across a sloka in Purushasuktha, which states that 75% of the universe is Unknowable. Modern Astronomy is also says this and they call it as Dark matter and Dark energy. Do you think this also a mere chance or they (the aryans of the ice-age) might have used some mental plane which has a capacity of some kind of intuition like this ?

Johny

I also read somewhere about an Indian atronomer arriving at a figure quite close to what is accepted by science. I think it must have been a lucky guess. However, earth's diameter as given by one of them was again very chose, which I suppose he arrived by some method and not just by guess. Needless to say that Aryans (who later became Indians) and Indians were very advanced according to their times in Astronomy. In later days, the astronomical information was exchanged between Indians, Greeks, and the Chinese. Indian observation about recession of equinoxes was quite correct.

The verse is not in Rigveda. Sayana said that it's known that sun travels 249 yojans in 1/2 nimesha. The computation to actual speed of light is pretty accurate.

Hare Krishna!

I am hoping someone who is well versed in the Vedas (or any Veda) will answer this question. Though all comments are ofcourse wolcome.

Sayana, in his commentary on one of the verses in the Rig Veda, states the speed of light. How does he arrive at this?

Also, slightly away from this topic - How did archeologists put a date on the Rig Veda?

Thank you

Hare Krishna!

MohanKrishna

Can you quote the verse from Purusha sukta..I don't recall it.

Aupmanyav

I agree with you and I am not aware that Sayana states the speed of light. However I have come across a sloka in Purushasuktha, which states that 75% of the universe is Unknowable. Modern Astronomy is also says this and they call it as Dark matter and Dark energy. Do you think this also a mere chance or they (the aryans of the ice-age) might have used some mental plane which has a capacity of some kind of intuition like this ?