IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Educating Hindu Children

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We need to bring greater focus on educating the Hindu children. There is so much emphasis on the education of children in other religions, which is probably why they thrive in America. One of my biggest regrets is that my parents basically gave up their Hindu faith after their marriage fell apart, and after that, I received no Hindu education whatsoever. God was never even mentioned in passing in my household.

It’s really been a battle for me to teach myself Hinduism because even though I go to a public school, my teachers overtly teach Christianity. They lay out the beliefs of Christianity and surround us with literature about its history everyday. My history teacher just showed a film that was on the Vatican’s list of the top ten movies for the Catholic faith. She mentioned the movie Gandhi in passing, and I asked her if we could watch it. The response – “Maybe”.

It’s also tough when many of my friends are in Catholic school, and most of my other friends are conservative Christians. Any other thoughts on the education of Hindu children?

Ekam sat vipra bahuda vadanti.

We need to bring greater focus on educating the Hindu children. There is so much emphasis on the education of children in other religions, which is probably why they thrive in America. One of my biggest regrets is that my parents basically gave up their Hindu faith after their marriage fell apart, and after that, I received no Hindu education whatsoever. God was never even mentioned in passing in my household.

It’s really been a battle for me to teach myself Hinduism because even though I go to a public school, my teachers overtly teach Christianity. They lay out the beliefs of Christianity and surround us with literature about its history everyday. My history teacher just showed a film that was on the Vatican’s list of the top ten movies for the Catholic faith. She mentioned the movie Gandhi in passing, and I asked her if we could watch it. The response – “Maybe”.

It’s also tough when many of my friends are in Catholic school, and most of my other friends are conservative Christians. Any other thoughts on the education of Hindu children?

Ekam sat vipra bahuda vadanti.

Where do you live? Here in America they are not supposed to have religion and education together.

Keep chatting here and you will learn alot about Hinduism. :)

Guest guest

are you in India? Aren't there any Hindu schools in India. If you live in America, where at? I don't think they're suppose to teach religion in a public school!

Guest guest

Hindus should work to establish religious schools for are children. Every other faith has schools for their children. We should also. This is an issue the Hindu community should take up now.

Guest guest

I live in America, and you're right; they aren't supposed to teach religion in public schools! But, that is more or less the point that I am trying to make. Many people have no problem breaking the law and violating the freedoms of others in order to "save Hindus" and evangelize by converting them to Christianity.

Guest guest

if you're from the gaudiya vaishnava branch, then you could preach krishna consciousness to them! That'll through them off! Go t Gitamrta.com and learn the Gita, and teach those people the truth about GOD! Don't fear Krishna will protect you! If it is at all possible distribute the Gita and get it's message out! Hindus(at least Gaudiya Vaishnavas) can combat christian proselytizing by doing the same! This is the only hope christians will never stop preaching, so we should start!

Praise Krishna!

I live in America, and you're right; they aren't supposed to teach religion in public schools! But, that is more or less the point that I am trying to make. Many people have no problem breaking the law and violating the freedoms of others in order to "save Hindus" and evangelize by converting them to Christianity.

Internet is a good communication tool since it allows others to communicate with each others, so, come online, spend time reading about Hindusm from proper websites, and discuss it with others.

You must educate yourself ... others cannot do it for you, especially in a place like America.

You can educate those who are interest in Hindusm as well, to prevent them from being victims of this so-called "Saviours" but try not to break the Laws yourself. And if you are strong enough, you can take actions by legal means for this law breakers and throw the book back on their faces.

Be patient and learn to be strong. Your path will be revealed to you if "He" thinks you are ready. :)

Guest guest

I undertand waht you mean. Even in India, people are not taught about hinduism properlly. What I meant to say is no one teaches about Vedas, purans or Upnishads. I learn about Itihas through popular TV serials. I feel like the only reason I know more about hinduism is because I love to read and love stories. Sadlly My brother and cousin doesnot, and know so little about our beautiful trudition. I wish there were places equalant to christian sabbath school, where hindu children can learn about their faith, espically in America.

I undertand waht you mean. Even in India, people are not taught about hinduism properlly. What I meant to say is no one teaches about Vedas, purans or Upnishads. I learn about Itihas through popular TV serials. I feel like the only reason I know more about hinduism is because I love to read and love stories. Sadlly My brother and cousin doesnot, and know so little about our beautiful trudition. I wish there were places equalant to christian sabbath school, where hindu children can learn about their faith, espically in America.

Why don't you start one?

Find other Hindus who have similar passion and start something like a community to gather information about Hindusm, educate yourselves and to show others who are interested to learn on what Hindusm is.

It doesn't need to be a school ... even under a tree is fine. No one said you need a large building with beautiful decoration, only then God will be with you.