IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Apep

Yama Lord Of Death.

Rate this topic

Is it ok to worship the God Yama the Lord of Death? I have also heard he is a God of justice as well.

Is there temples to the God Yama? Is there sects who worship Yama?

Yama is not a deity that anyone really worships. Neither does he ask you to worship him. He is listed as one of the twelve mahajanas (great devotees of Vishnu), and as such is pleased with those who worship Narayana. There are a few small temples to Yama scattered throughout India, but very, very few.

Yama incarnated as Vidura during the Mahabharata war. Vidura is famous as a staunch devotee of Lord Krishna.

Yama is not a deity that anyone really worships. Neither does he ask you to worship him. He is listed as one of the twelve mahajanas (great devotees of Vishnu), and as such is pleased with those who worship Narayana. There are a few small temples to Yama scattered throughout India, but very, very few.

Yama incarnated as Vidura during the Mahabharata war. Vidura is famous as a staunch devotee of Lord Krishna.

Where are these temples located? Are there any priests in these temples?

I see death as a symbolic form in this life. I see Yama as the act of our transcending that is why I asked about Yama.

Guest guest

Where are these temples located? Are there any priests in these temples?

I see death as a symbolic form in this life. I see Yama as the act of our transcending that is why I asked about Yama.

Hari OM

All the devas controlling the forces of universe like Varuna, Agni, Vayu, Yama have their own slokas to be worshipped, however most of them don't have an idol representation may be a few symbolic representations found along with other idols in few temples

This worship is mainly to thank them for their service rendered to keep the universe going, as well as a request to maintain it in future.

The sloka for Yama is:

"Yamaya dhramarajaya mirthuve santhakayesa vivasvathya kalaya sarva bhutya saysa outhum parya tatnaya neelaya paramesthine virgo tharya chitrya chitra guptayateh namah"

Phalashruti (benefit) of uttering this sloka regularly is said to be peaceful death (not dealthless state, sorry)

Guest guest

Is it ok to worship the God Yama the Lord of Death? I have also heard he is a God of justice as well.

It is ok to worship God in any of his forms so long as one does it with purity in their hearts. Despite the lack of popularity in Yama worship and the questioning attitude of people who dont worship Yama, one should stand behind that which one feels strongly and passionate about.

I dont know the sloka that is supposed to be recited, but one of the other brothers of this site has posted it. May Yama lead us all onto the next plane of our soul's existance.

Guest guest

In the major Upanishads Pusan, the Sun, is called Yama. Pusan is the Lord of death because as the Upanishads and the Gita says that is path that the liberated soul takes to becoming one with Brahman. Soma, the moon, is also related as the moon is where some souls go for a while between lives.

But Pusan, more comonly called Surya, is barely worshiped anymore. You can get a good list of Surya temples at templenet dot com.