IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Apep

Sacred Texts Of Shiva.

Rate this topic

Hey Apep,

Suprised to hear from me on this? Lol.

Okay well there are 28 Saiva Agamas (I don't know what they are individualy called), 6 (I think) Saiva Puranas, and 14 Saiva Upanishads.

These Upanishads are as follows:

Aksha Malika Upanishad

Kalagni Rudra Upanishad

Kaivalya Upanishad

Dakshinamurti Upanishad

Pancha Brahma Upanishad

Rudra Hridaya Upanishad

Jabali Upanishad

Rudraksha Jabala Upanishad

Atharvasikha Upanishad

Atharvasiras Upanishad

Ganapati Upanishad

Brihad Jabala Upanishad

Bhasma Jabala Upanishad

Sarabha Upanishad

Posted Image

<blockquote>100 ft. tall SHIVA statue at Murdeshwar (near Goa).</blockquote

Dear Apep,

The foremost important texts are the - Shiva Gita that is part of the Padma Purana. It is a qustion answer between Lord Sadashiva and Rama. And is similar to bhagwat Gita in its essence. Rama asks and Shiva answers. And at the end Lord Shiva shows Rama his eternal universal form where Rama sees all the universe and even the ten avatars of Vishnu including the Krishna avatara and his killing of Kamsa and the leelas. Rama aknowledges that Shiva is the base of the whole universe and everything emanates from him and submerges in him. And that he is the controller of all the three gunas of the nature, but is above them. Some one who reads Shiva Gita with devotion and understanding sees his spiritual life rocket shooting upwards. :)

Shiva Samhita is an important text on higher Yoga as given to Parvati Devi by Shiva himself. This is a very important text.

And of course, the Shiva Mahapurana!! That states the appearing of the fire Shiva linga whose beginning or end is not known to Vishnu (Krishna) and Brahma. Here Shiva reveals his true form as the Adi Mahadev - The supreme Lord - one who has not beginning and no end. He is eternal.

And then you can also look for Rudrayamal Tantra.

These should be more than enough to start with.

Later you may want to research into Kriyouddisha tantra which is a very rare tantra doctrine given by the Lord.

Shivohi Kevalam!! Om Namah Shivaaya!!

Can someone help me with sacred texts of lord Shiva?

What texts have the main teachings of lord Shiva?:)

Om Namah Shivaya:)

To Kalkin:

Thank You. :) That is a very nice statue and I added it to my favorite list of art and symbolism. I thank you Kalkin. :)

Also thank you for the texts you mentioned.

I always appreciate your help on the forum boards.</BLOCKQUOTE[ p quote]<>

Dear Apep,

The foremost important texts are the - Shiva Gita that is part of the Padma Purana. It is a qustion answer between Lord Sadashiva and Rama. And is similar to bhagwat Gita in its essence. Rama asks and Shiva answers. And at the end Lord Shiva shows Rama his eternal universal form where Rama sees all the universe and even the ten avatars of Vishnu including the Krishna avatara and his killing of Kamsa and the leelas. Rama aknowledges that Shiva is the base of the whole universe and everything emanates from him and submerges in him. And that he is the controller of all the three gunas of the nature, but is above them. Some one who reads Shiva Gita with devotion and understanding sees his spiritual life rocket shooting upwards. :)

Shiva Samhita is an important text on higher Yoga as given to Parvati Devi by Shiva himself. This is a very important text.

And of course, the Shiva Mahapurana!! That states the appearing of the fire Shiva linga whose beginning or end is not known to Vishnu (Krishna) and Brahma. Here Shiva reveals his true form as the Adi Mahadev - The supreme Lord - one who has not beginning and no end. He is eternal.

And then you can also look for Rudrayamal Tantra.

These should be more than enough to start with.

Later you may want to research into Kriyouddisha tantra which is a very rare tantra doctrine given by the Lord.

Shivohi Kevalam!! Om Namah Shivaaya!!

Can any of these texts be found on the internet? My funds are a bit small these days. I am especially interested in the ShivaGita for it seems filled with knowledge.

Thank You again.:) You seem very wise in many issues for I have seen you on other threads.

Om Namah Shivaya :)

To Kalkin:

Thank You. :) That is a very nice statue and I added it to my favorite list of art and symbolism. I thank you Kalkin. :)

Also thank you for the texts you mentioned.

I always appreciate your help on the forum boards.</BLOCKQUOTE[ p quote]<>

You are very welcome. I'm always glad to share whatever knowlege I have.

I love all the faces of God, but I think the Shiva tradition is particularly rich. I also am drawn to his sons Ganesha and Kumara (which I see as aspects of Him).

That picture is from my freind who lives in Goa. It looks even biger in the photos with people standing in front.

You are very welcome. I'm always glad to share whatever knowlege I have.

I love all the faces of God, but I think the Shiva tradition is particularly rich. I also am drawn to his sons Ganesha and Kumara (which I see as aspects of Him).

That picture is from my freind who lives in Goa. It looks even biger in the photos with people standing in front.

Thank You for you generosity.:)

I would like to visit that statue in Goa someday.

Can any of these texts be found on the internet? My funds are a bit small these days. I am especially interested in the ShivaGita for it seems filled with knowledge.

Thank You again.:) You seem very wise in many issues for I have seen you on other threads.

Om Namah Shivaya :)

Well, Here is a summarized version of the Padma Purana http://www.geocities.com/absolut_ism/padmapurana.htm (I don't know if it contains Shiva-Gita or not).

Here's the Shiva Samhita http://www.geocities.com/absolut_ism/sivasamhita.htm

And a couple more from that site:

Summarized Linga Purana http://www.geocities.com/absolut_ism/lingapurana.htm

Shiva Sutras http://www.geocities.com/absolut_ism/sivasutra.htm

Rudra Gita http://www.geocities.com/absolut_ism/rudragita.htm

Well, Here is a summarized version of the Padma Purana http://www.geocities.com/absolut_ism/padmapurana.htm (I don't know if it contains Shiva-Gita or not).

Here's the Shiva Samhita http://www.geocities.com/absolut_ism/sivasamhita.htm

And a couple more from that site:

Summarized Linga Purana http://www.geocities.com/absolut_ism/lingapurana.htm

Shiva Sutras http://www.geocities.com/absolut_ism/sivasutra.htm

Rudra Gita http://www.geocities.com/absolut_ism/rudragita.htm

Thank You very much! :) This really makes my day good.

The foremost important texts are the - Shiva Gita that is part of the Padma Purana. It is a question answer between Lord Sadashiva and Rama.

It is notable that even advaitists such as shankara don't recognize the Shiva Gita. A more authentic scripture would be Rudram (Rudram Chamakam).

Guest guest

It is notable that even advaitists such as shankara don't recognize the Shiva Gita. A more authentic scripture would be Rudram (Rudram Chamakam).

Another interesting fact is that the Shiava Mahapurana mentioned in some Purana lists as one of the 18 Maha Puranas is actually the Vayu Purana and not the Shiva Purana as commonly believed.

Each of the 18 Major Puranas contain a list of the 18 Names (including its own). Some of them list the Shaiva Purana while some other list the Vayu Purana, but the two are not found together in the same list. Also, the position these two names appear in, is the same in most lists.

The Popular Shiva Purana is actually an Upa-Purana authored sometime during the 12th century.

For more details, check Hazra, Winternitz, HH Wilson, etc. The Vayu Purana is mentioned in the Mahabharata as an ancient Text.

Cheers

And at the end Lord Shiva shows Rama his eternal universal form where Rama sees all the universe and even the ten avatars of Vishnu including the Krishna avatara and his killing of Kamsa and the leelas

I did not know that Lord Shiva has a universal form! So, not only does Lord Vishnu/Krishna have a universal form in this universe, so does Shiva? I thought that there is only 1 universal form......

Guest guest

I'm glad someone has posted what the scriptures of Shaivism are. We know about the Vaishnava sects and their scriptures but little about Shaivism. But I think there is one missing in the Upanishad list. The Svetasvatara Upanishad is one of the principal upanishads and is directed to Rudra, an earlier aspect of Shiva, so I think Shaivites would recognise it.

I'm glad someone has posted what the scriptures of Shaivism are. We know about the Vaishnava sects and their scriptures but little about Shaivism. But I think there is one missing in the Upanishad list. The Svetasvatara Upanishad is one of the principal upanishads and is directed to Rudra, an earlier aspect of Shiva, so I think Shaivites would recognise it.

Mandukya Upanishad in a very precise text explains the transcendental Self as shivoadvaitam Turiya. While it remains unchanged, it (the Atma) enjoys the gross objects in the waking and subtle objects in the dream state. This indescribale Atma, which can be known only in identity with it, knows everything through Pragnya -- which is the deep sleep state (shushupti).

While we think that deep sleep is a state of darkness, Chandokhya Upanishad describes it as one full of light. Most upanishads deal with these states as AUM and the Self as OM.

Lord Rama has stated in Muktika Upanishad that reading Mandukya Upanishad is capable of giving illumination. Those interested may try Mandukya Upanishad.

Best wishes to all. Om Namah Shivaaya

Guest guest

Another interesting fact is that the Shiava Mahapurana mentioned in some Purana lists as one of the 18 Maha Puranas is actually the Vayu Purana and not the Shiva Purana as commonly believed.

Each of the 18 Major Puranas contain a list of the 18 Names (including its own). Some of them list the Shaiva Purana while some other list the Vayu Purana, but the two are not found together in the same list. Also, the position these two names appear in, is the same in most lists.

The Popular Shiva Purana is actually an Upa-Purana authored sometime during the 12th century.

Although there is no evidence that Shiva Purana is an up-Purana and is authored in the 12th century only. This is just an effort to water down its authority. But even if it is to be believed for a second that this is true, still it doesn't make Lord Shiva any newer. He is as ancient and birthless as he is anyways... Devadeve Mahadev is the Adi dev Maheshwara. Who can debate that? If anyone has doubts about that then it is his own sins tempting him to think that way.

Guest guest

Where does Shakaracharya say that he rejects Shiva Gita? I would like to see his authentic quotes. Rudra Chamkam is authoritative.