IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Apep

Wanting to learn about Shaivism and Lord Shiva.

Rate this topic

Hello I am interested in the spirituality of Shiva. I am trying to learn the basic outline of it's belief.

I am a seeker of the wisdom of Shiva.

Can anyone help?:)

Hello I am interested in the spirituality of Shiva. I am trying to learn the basic outline of it's belief.

I am a seeker of the wisdom of Shiva.

Can anyone help?:)

Here's a great resource, Lord Siva and His Worship by Sri Swami Sivananda:

http://www.dlshq.org/download/lordsiva.htm

You can download it as a PDF somewhere on the site too.

Here's one of my favorite chant's that Krishna Das does for Shiva:

<big>Hara Hara Mahadeva

Jaya Shiva Omkara

Jaya Hara Shiva Omkara

Brahma Vishnu Sada-shiva

Hara Hara Hara Mahadeva</big>

Here's a great resource, Lord Siva and His Worship by Sri Swami Sivananda:

http://www.dlshq.org/download/lordsiva.htm

You can download it as a PDF somewhere on the site too.

Here's one of my favorite chant's that Krishna Das does for Shiva:

<BIG>Hara Hara Mahadeva

Jaya Shiva Omkara

Jaya Hara Shiva Omkara

Brahma Vishnu Sada-shiva

Hara Hara Hara Mahadeva</BIG>

Thank You for the site.:)

Your welcome,

There are different types of Saivism out there: In Kashmir Saivism worship is based on the Agamas and Tantras, this is also known as the right handed Tantric path; the Saiva Siddhanta Philosophy is a Shiva-bhakta movement from south India; In the Smarta sect Shiva is one of six main dieties that you may worship as a representation Brahman, your deity of choice (or that your drawn too) is called your Ishta-deva. Hope that helps in your searches.

<marquee behavior="alternate" scrollamount="4" scrolldelay="108"><big>OM Namah Shivaya!!</big></marquee>

Your welcome,

There are different types of Saivism out there: In Kashmir Saivism worship is based on the Agamas and Tantras, this is also known as the right handed Tantric path; the Saiva Siddhanta Philosophy is a Shiva-bhakta movement from south India; In the Smarta sect Shiva is one of six main dieties that you may worship as a representation Brahman, your deity of choice (or that your drawn too) is called your Ishta-deva. Hope that helps in your searches.

<MARQUEE scrollAmount=4 scrollDelay=108 behavior=alternate><BIG>OM Namah Shivaya!!</BIG></MARQUEE>

I am more interested in the Siddhanta movement. Can you help me with that.

I'm afraid I don't know too much about it, I'm a Smartist and Advaitist myself. Here's what I do know though; Like Jndas said there is a branch that is very active in the west; They are represented by the Hinduism Today magazine http://www.hinduismtoday.com/ ,

the Saiva Siddhanta Church http://www.himalayanacademy.com/ssc/ ,

and the Himalayan Acadamy http://www.himalayanacademy.com/

Other than that I don't know much about it's origins or any differnt factions except that it's supposed to be very old. That original link I gave you has some good info on Siddhanta, it's belifes and scriptures. About the philosophy it says: "It is midway between Sankara’s Advaita and Ramanuja’s Visishtadvaita" So mabey when you are looking up these two philosophers that will help you out too.

Well, there is the hinduism today group that alligns itself with Shaiva Siddhanta. I'm not sure how strictly they follow it as I have never studied their teachings.

I think their website is hindu.org.

Thank You. :) I will have to look at this site.

I'm afraid I don't know too much about it, I'm a Smartist and Advaitist myself. Here's what I do know though; Like Jndas said there is a branch that is very active in the west; They are represented by the Hinduism Today magazine http://www.hinduismtoday.com/ ,

the Saiva Siddhanta Church http://www.himalayanacademy.com/ssc/ ,

and the Himalayan Acadamy http://www.himalayanacademy.com/

Other than that I don't know much about it's origins or any differnt factions except that it's supposed to be very old. That original link I gave you has some good info on Siddhanta, it's belifes and scriptures. About the philosophy it says: "It is midway between Sankara’s Advaita and Ramanuja’s Visishtadvaita" So mabey when you are looking up these two philosophers that will help you out too.

Thank You for your help. :)

I can use all the help I can get. I too have heard it has it's origins going into ancient times.

Lord Shiva has attracted me for a very long time. Even when I was just reading about Hinduism he has attracted me. Also Lord Ganesh as well his son.

I used to live around 5 miles from their ashram on Kauai and I went there a few times during their public worship and lecture. They are similar to Advaitins in that they believe that the goal of their practice is to merge into Shiva and become Shiva, Shiva being God in their philosophy.

I used to live around 5 miles from their ashram on Kauai and I went there a few times during their public worship and lecture. They are similar to Advaitins in that they believe that the goal of their practice is to merge into Shiva and become Shiva, Shiva being God in their philosophy.

Yes I have heard of them and I am quite interested in them. Do you know if any sects are still in India as well?

Also I do not understand becoming a Lord like the mighty Shiva. I am happy enough to just remain mortal.

There are two branches of Shaivism. One is the devotional path that accepts Lord Shiva's eternal personal existence. The goal of these devotees is to attain the abode of Shiva known as Kailasha and serve Lord Shiva there. The other school wants to merge into Shiva and become one with the nondual absolute, which they identify as the source of Shiva.

There are two branches of Shaivism. One is the devotional path that accepts Lord Shiva's eternal personal existence. The goal of these devotees is to attain the abode of Shiva known as Kailasha and serve Lord Shiva there. The other school wants to merge into Shiva and become one with the nondual absolute, which they identify as the source of Shiva.

I wish to attain the abode to serve Shiva. :)

Guest guest

lord shiva is great, so powerful,belive in him,we will get many things.

Om Namah Shivaya! He is the Great Lord of the Mountains. His consort is the Mother of the Universe. When the devas and asuras were squeezing the mountain and the poison came forth, the Lord took it and placed it in his throat, thereby protecting the world inside and the world outside. Asks Sri Adi Shankara in the Shivanandalahari, "Is not this one supreme act enough to establish Thy greatness?" So also if we take refuge in Him, He will take away the deep seated vasanas and give us Liberation.

The Serpent which is hated in the world took refuge in Him and He gave it a place of vision that was as High as His own. The Ghosts and Goblins are at ease with Him, their Lord, and He dances with them on the cremation grounds, showing that they too have a sacred place in His world. What then to talk of devout human beings: He is their Father, Mother and Creator, the complete refuge.

Guest guest

If you google search

Hinduism Today,

Himalayan Academy,

Kauai's Hindu Temple, and

Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami

you can find some information. All of their books are online.

"Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami is today's foremost spokesman for the living spiritual tradition of Saivism...[his] comprehensive and easy-to-read works give the reader reliable and deep insight...into Hinduism as a whole.

"Full of wisdom and sane counsel..even non-Saivites can benefit from this masterful presentation..."

-- Georg Feuerstein PhD

of Yoga Research Center

author of The Shambala Encyclopedia of Yoga

"Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami has emerged as the most articulate living spokesman for Hindu Dharma in the West and in a modern English idiom...

"All who want to practice any paths in the field of Hindu Dharma will find much relevant instruction in [his] books.

"Those who want to understand what Hinduism really is whill find that the book expand their horizons exponentially."

--Dr. David Frawley OMD

aka Pandit Vamadeva Shastri

Vedacharya, Director of the American Institute of Vedic Studies

author of "How I Became A Hindu"

In 1986, New Delhi's World Religious Parliament named SSS one of five modern day Jagadacharyas, world teachers, for his international efforts in

promoting a Hindu renaissance.

In 2000 he received the prestigious United Nations' U Thant Peace Award

[previously awarded to Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa].

Guest guest

world wide web dot gurudeva dot org

comprehensive one stop shopping for Himalayan Academy

and works of Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami

Guest guest

You might enjoy this CD

"Adorations to Shiva"

by Yogi Hari

Nada Productions

2216 NW 8th Terrace

Fort Lauderdale FL

33311 USA

The above-mentioned bhajan singer Yogi Hari has a website, too.

Guest guest

If you google search

Hinduism Today,

Himalayan Academy,

Kauai's Hindu Temple, and

Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami

you can find some information. All of their books are online.

Can I ask you a question about Saiva Siddhanta beliefs? Do they believe the soul remains as an individual after Moksha? Their book says Merging With Shiva, but what does this mean exactly? Does it mean we cease to exist as individual souls if we seek that type of moksha?

I heard there is a split in the Saiva Siddhanta sect whether the soul remains as individual.

I am a Vaishnava (NOT Hare Krishna/ISKCON), and believe it's best to seek a Personal Form of God. My Guru teaches it can be Shiva, Durga, Rama or Radha-Krishn. He does teach that Krishn is the Supreme God, and the sweetest form and adi-purusha, who dwells in the highest realm, Goloka. But there are also personal abodes in Vaikuntha for other personal forms of God and their devotees. I am just wondering if Your sect seeks the personal Abode of Shiva, or to merge and lose individuality? My guru teaches this is not the desirable form of moksha, because one is in a mindless state, and not enjoying the divine bliss of relationship with their beloved form of the Lord.

Guest guest

Namaste!

The literature published and available online from Himalayan Academy starts off with the ABCs of spiritual life, that in my opinion anyone of any tradition could benefit from reading and studying.

I feel that the strength of the Kauai's Hindu Monastery is:

a) the personal integrity and extreme transparentness of the monastics vis-a-vis their daily life,

b) integrity of the highest accounting level with how donations are managed, spent, and reported to the shareholders,

c) a code of ethics followed by the monastics that includes a vow of confidentiality,

d) proper guidance is given for those few souls who wish to become sannyasins and monastics [only accepted by a certain age, careful monitoring before taking small incremental leaps of vows, jyotisha

consulted, screened carefully for mental health, etc.]

d) the male monastics don't live in a co-ed situation

e) they don't try to unethically convert people simply to swell their ranks or attract more followers

f) the guidelines they follow in Temple construction, including the strict guideline that the silpins must follow [the artisans who carve the Temple]

g) they take a leadership role in establishing the Hindu Renaissance, encouraging harmony between all four branches of Hinduism

h) they provide a daily news service HPI [Hindu Press International]

i) they are willingness to publish Letters to the Editor in their magazine Hinduiam Today with opinions of Hindus that differ from those of the founder

j) the types of people attracted to it include families with Hindu roots for generations and professional people

There's more but that is just off the top of my head. The different books are there for you to pick and choose which ones "speak to your heart".

Re: your question, "Merging With Shiva" can mean many, many things. If you

have a certain destination in mind in the spiritual world, then only use their teachings [if any] to the extent that they have meaning for you and speak to you personally and it is a useful adjunct to your sadhana.

For me the books explained many, many mystical concepts that I had

personally experienced and no other teacher in any other tradition was able to satisfactorily answer. In fact I had other people "high on the totem pole"

if not the actual leaders in other traditions say to their followers that such states could not be attained, that only the guru could reach those states.

But I had been experiencing this stuff from early childhood. And finally I found

the answers to what was happening to me. So even if I am a personalist and

devoted to whatever Istha Devata, to me the explanations from this org have

been the most lucid re: the spiritual path and the types of mystical experiences you might be having as a side effect siddhi.

So to me I can read "Merging with Shiva" and not freak out, because I focus on what speaks to me in it. That book in particular I would personally not give it that title. I would call it "Dovetailing Your Whole Entire Life With The Divine." I feel all of their works can be useful to help you on the path.

I feel that each jeev springs from the tatastha and is like a seed. When you are fully perfect you are going to be like a tree, a certain type of tree. I have faith that my Creator knows what She/He was doing when She/He made me. I have complete confidence that I am going to end up in the right destination

because My Sweet Lord is always running and taking nine steps towards me for every step I take towards the Divine.

I feel that My Sweet Lord is greedy to taste the nectar that is in my heart. I feel that He knows in what relationship we will best be able to relate to each to each other most blissfully. If I learn things from many traditions then I don't freak out about it. In college we had lots of professors and read lots of books and had to do lots of research and thus read even more books.

We were then asked to analyze and synthesis all of the data. So it is very hard for me to think that there is only one wise book in the entire world that I am going to read, and there was only one wise person in the entire world who knew everything and no one else knows diddly squat after having been to college. I feel I can learn from a variety of sources, and adjust what I read for my own particular situation.

Also I feel that if you have a certain spiritual destination say at Kailasa or Shiva Loka, then do you know what? I think that Shiva is so smart, He is going to put like a computer access blocking filter to all of the other Lokas. If

it is your heart's desire to be a personalist, then I feel that the Lord will make sure you end up that way. The Lord is bound to fulfill His devotees' desires.

One more thing. Merging with Shiva also has other meanings but do you know what? Even if you WANTED to merge with Shiva into a final vishwagrasa, then

it is not going to happen until you are spiritually mature and have stabilized yourself in the sahasrara chakra 24/7/365. So are you there yet? Me I am having hard time not falling below muladhara on my spiritual "bad hair days".

In summary I feel you can learn alot from their website and their books; just take what is useful [if anything]. The books are used by personalists and impersonalists of all four branches of Hinduism and even by non-Hindus. They feel that the strength of Hinduism is it is one trunk with many many branches.

So learn what you can from that org re: the roots of Hindusim and how to be sturdy and strong on the path, firmly fixed like a strong tree with one billion

strong other members of the Hindu faith.

Then as an individual as you mature in spiritual life, you might go off and into

one of the branches of Hinduism of your choice. Satguru Sivaya Subramuniya swami feels THAT is what makes Hinduism so strong: the many different branches of the tree. In fact he feels that is what is keeping Hinduism alive. that the tree has so many wonderful living branches.

I hope this answers your question. Jaya Ganesha Who Always Guides Us on the Right Path! Aum.

Guest guest

In summary I feel you can learn alot from their website and their books; just take what is useful [if anything]. The books are used by personalists and impersonalists of all four branches of Hinduism and even by non-Hindus. They feel that the strength of Hinduism is it is one trunk with many many branches.

Yes, I agree.. I do not belong to the Saiva Siddhanta church and am a Personalist Vaishnava, but have found some helpful metaphysical teachings in their online books. It is nice that they provide their books and magazine for free online..

Guest guest

Another strength of their online information is they have an online study course in how to maintain brahma charya.

For years I tried one personalist tradition after another which would decry the dangers of "impersonalism" only to watch one leader after another fall down with some pretty boy(s) or girl(s) and many of the devotees changing partners with more frequency than the mainstream population.

I have my own theories about why I would see this happen again and again:

One is bhakti opens up your heart chakra very very wide and makes you

very vulnerable to others. Two, you are intimating associating with the opposite sex either by frequenting a coed commune/ "ashram" or by the groupie/ rock star mentality that can exist between some leaders and sisya.

Three, you are activating "feel good" brain chemicals when you hear romantic stories such as some of the Personalist katha that is spoken. Four, you are told to "be like Prahlad Maharaja" or "be like Gangamata Gosvamini" or some saint but without any further specific incremental instructions for a mortal.

Five, it seems that perhaps no one has ever explained clearly enough metaphysically to some of the people in the personalist camps why brahma charya is so important. It seems to be stressed more in moral terms as a societal nicety or as a moral imperative only with fire and brinstone consequences only.

But even if someone gives you an imperative, or even if the consequence is

you get stoned to death, if you don't understand WHY it is in YOUR best interest to do something, then you don't know why you should act in a certain way and avoid certain situations. You may feel deprived or vulnerable.

On the other hand, if you study the Guidelines for Brahma charya on the Himalayan Academy/ Kauai's Hindu Monastery website, it will help you tremedously as a Personalist, in whatever tradition or no tradition: simply as a human being.

The second thing I like is it has a very Bhakti-oriented focus. They worship form and have you meditate on form. I like it how they also explain to you the mystical qualities of Shiva and Murugan and Ganesha. I appreciate that focus on metaphysics. I appreciated learning more of the mystical qualities of Ganesha, Murugan, and Shiva as well as learning all about Shiva's love.

Well those are some of the things I found useful: their instructions on WHY and HOW to maintain brahma charya as well as their focus on Bhakti and explaining in great detail the personal metaphysical qualities and mystical characteristics of Lord Shiva, Murugan, Ganesha, and Their many names.

Namaste! Om Namah Sivaya.

Guest guest

does the Himalayan Academy, Hinduism Today Magazine or Saiva Siddhanta Church have any message board or online discussion group?