IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
allen

transition to a vegetarian diet

Rate this topic

I've tried to change to a vegetarian diet several times but I found it difficult. I don't really know how to describe it but I felt strange. I just didn't feel like myself and I mean that in a bad way. It wasn't like what I felt was good or positive. It really was a negative experience. I also was much more short tempered.

I know in my heart that a vegetarian diet is the natural diet for man and I want to be vegetarian. I would like any suggestions anyone has on helping me adopt a vegetarian diet.:)

I've tried to change to a vegetarian diet several times but I found it difficult. I don't really know how to describe it but I felt strange. I just didn't feel like myself and I mean that in a bad way. It wasn't like what I felt was good or positive. It really was a negative experience. I also was much more short tempered.

I know in my heart that a vegetarian diet is the natural diet for man and I want to be vegetarian. I would like any suggestions anyone has on helping me adopt a vegetarian diet.:)

Do you believe in transmigration of the soul? if so, that should be enough to do it.

If not, whatch the PETA movie "Meet Your Meat". Just go to PETA website and order it for free.

The animals that are being slaughtered for the temporary pleasure of your tongue feel intense fear and pain by the act. They also feel love and pleasure when treated with respect and love.

Kinda like you right? If someone takes a weapon to you and you can not defend yourself, then you will feel pain and fear. If someone treats you with loving kindness then you feel pleasure and love.

Take this anyway you like but going to the fast food restaurant or buying that steak in the supermarket implicates you in murder even if you are not the one that dealt the death blow. And those who murder pay the price.

If you murder a person you are punished by the government laws. Murder an animal for the pleasure of your tongue and the Supreme Law will deal out your punishment. It is a lose lose situation.

Just think about the animals fear and silent screams of anquish next time you bite down into that steak.

Bon Appetit

Guest guest

you're still a slave to your tongue.....

a "friend" of mine once said to me, "I don't feel right unless I eat something that has been killed first"

This is the mentality you are set in. You have been trained to see that a dead animal = food.

If you really wanted to give up meat.....you could. JUST STOP EATING IT. don't make it complicated.

Hare Krishna

Guest guest

Hare Krishna, Dear guest, I totally know what u are feeling! Maybe you should try to pick up some vege cook books to help you ensure you are getting the right nutrients because sure vegtables are healty for you, but dont count a bag of chips as a daily serving. I am giving an extreme example hear, but really maybe you dont feel so good becuase you are lacking some iron or another vitamin which is gives you energy. All the vitamins and minerals of meat can be found in great tasting vegetables and fruits, you just need to find the right ones. Whenever I have the chance I order tofu, honestly it tastes just like chicken but juicer!! Also lentils are great!

Hare Bhol.

Guest guest

Do you attempt to switch over 100 % from the start ? If so that may be what is causing you difficulties. Your body has grown used to eating meat and for some people it requires some time for their system to adjust. My suggestion would be to start slow, when I made the change I started with 1 meal a day until my body adjusted. I hope this helps.

Also I would definately avoid PETA like the plauge they are liars, they kill stray animals, there are plenty of other groups that support a vegan lifestyle and can give you more information like ISKCON.

I suggest that if you are feeling physically different in general, that you get some multi-vitamins pills (go to a health store and specifically ask for vegeterian), and then find someone who knows about health and talk about what you're eating now. Becoming vegeterian by simply taking the meat off the plate isn't going to work very well - the body is expecting a certain amount of iron, protein etc. When this is removed quickly, the body will react in ways alike to what you have mentioned. So, consider getting some vitamins for now, and talk with someone who knows about nutrition to discover what a healthy diet will be for you.

Airicky trying to make someone do something by trying to make them feel guilty or shamed is manipulation and does not work. Also there is a great deal of anger in your post. Honestly if your reply was the only one I got I would never try to be a vegetarian. If it made people that anger it would of no use to me or anyone.

The reply by the guest yesterday at 7:55 PM is also no help what-so-ever. The old,YOU ARE A WEAK MINDED NINNY JUST DO IT, approach is dictatorial and shows no understanding or compassion. It is not that I have been brainwashed into a meat eating mindset. I did not feel up to par either physically, mentally or emotionally and somewhat unwell on the diet. I asked for help regarding those issues.

The other suggestions were helpful and showed understanding and compassion. The comment regarding a vegan diet is misguided however. His Divine Grace recommended a high fat lacto-vegetarian diet; for that reason, the type of diet to be followed is not up for debate. Direction in how to follow that type of diet is the issue at hand and your helpful comments in that regard are appreciated. Hare Krishna

allen, u are absolutely right. often new devotees use guilt or manipulation to "make" someone change a habit like meat-eating, illicit sex, etc.

this is avaisnava. i have been vegetarian almost my whole life, and although my personal feelings to meat are in disgust, i never let ppl feel that. prabhupada while staying at the agarwals when he 1st came to america wasnt even affected by the fact that they ate meat. he taught by example. acharya. this is the way. using guilt and manipulation is a very judeo-christian way to operate, and, i dare say, sectarian. we must show by example and love.

i apologize for some devotees who will try and make u feel bad. think nothing of it. know that there are many of us who are well balanced and tolerant individuals who try and be kind to ppl. even meat eaters ;)

your servant,

manu dasa

hare krsna

silly me, i forgot to tell u how to help in ur transition, go to the temple and lots of nice prasadam. this will help make the transition easier.

sabjis with chunks of paneer, rice, chole (chickpeas), dahi badas, parathas, chapatis, samosas, we have a whole culture dedicated to the art of veg cooking that will make ur mouth water.

good luck

haribol

Airicky trying to make someone do something by trying to make them feel guilty or shamed is manipulation and does not work. Also there is a great deal of anger in your post. Honestly if your reply was the only one I got I would never try to be a vegetarian. If it made people that anger it would of no use to me or anyone.

The reply by the guest yesterday at 7:55 PM is also no help what-so-ever. The old,YOU ARE A WEAK MINDED NINNY JUST DO IT, approach is dictatorial and shows no understanding or compassion. It is not that I have been brainwashed into a meat eating mindset. I did not feel up to par either physically, mentally or emotionally and somewhat unwell on the diet. I asked for help regarding those issues.

The other suggestions were helpful and showed understanding and compassion. The comment regarding a vegan diet is misguided however. His Divine Grace recommended a high fat lacto-vegetarian diet; for that reason, the type of diet to be followed is not up for debate. Direction in how to follow that type of diet is the issue at hand and your helpful comments in that regard are appreciated. Hare Krishna

I agree with the guest that told you to just do it. Sorry if it offends you but I say it like it is. I have been vegetarian since the late sixties and the longer I don't eat meat the more the idea of torturing the animals sickens me. If you can still eat meat or it makes you want to eat it all the more after hearing that they too suffer and feel fear and pain then I feel badly for you.

I also agree that if you go to the temple and eat the Krishna prasadam and chant then your heart will begin to soften.

Good luck.

Guest guest

mikey this attitude wouldnt please prabhupada.

unless we are perfectly situated in devotional service, we cannot judge. we are servant of the servant. that is our position.

does trnad api sunicena mean anything to u?

new devotee syndrome is a scary thing.

haribol.

mikey this attitude wouldnt please prabhupada.

unless we are perfectly situated in devotional service, we cannot judge. we are servant of the servant. that is our position.

does trnad api sunicena mean anything to u?

new devotee syndrome is a scary thing.

haribol.

Hare Krishna

Guest guest

there is no such thing as "meat withdrawal".....you're just doubting the fact that we are naturally supposed to be vegetarian.

I was raised as a christian, with the belief that animals are here for us to eat. But then I questioned why people don't eat their pet dogs and cats. When I used to bring up this argument, people would accuse me of supporting animal cruelty.

Then i realized how hypocritical people can be when they don't want to give up their attachment to the taste of flesh.

Their mentality : "Dogs and cats are less appetizing, so instead we'll eat cow and pigs etc."

After i realized this i stopped eating meat the very next day......cold turkey (no pun intended).

a few weeks later i met a devotee selling books and started going to the temple regulary.

I didn't question my emotions or "feelings". If you know that being vegetarian is natural to man, then JUST DO IT.

You know it is "natural" to wake up every morning and go to your job don't you?

Sometimes in the morning you feel tired and cranky because you don't want to go, but do you sit around and analyze your feelings and how your work is effecting you emotionally? NO

you just get up and go to work.

-Hare Krishna

When someone is trying to walk a path, that everyone hear agrees is the path to be taken, then it should be expected that there are going to be stumbles along the way. If ,you were a guide on a mountain path that you had followed for many years and were an expert on that path, and you were in charge of guiding people on that path, when someone fell(And we all do at some time and usually we fall many many times) would you run over to them and start yelling,"Get up and just start walking again you stupid fool and no I'm not going to take your hand and help you up." ?Then you slapped their hand away and yelled at them again to just get up.

The key is to understand that everyone is different and we all have different abilities in different areas and are lacking in other areas. In areas where we are strong we can offer understanding and guidance or ridicule and shame. I KNOW that understanding works and guilt, shame and ridicule do not!

Along the path we need to encourage, motivate and inspire. How do we do that? By showing understanding, example, kindness,compassion and guidance. You've all heard the saying that you catch more bees with honey than vinegar. And a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down in the most delightful way. They are old and many times repeated sayings because they are true and they work.

So you have to ask yourself is puffing out your chest and showing someone how superior you are in a given area and making them feel inferior and shameful( And eventually making them leave the path) is more important than having someone join you on your path. I personally feel the path is more important than the individual. If Prabhupada had treated all the meat eating brothers and sisters the way you would have treated them Airicky do you really think His Divine Grace would have gotten the Hare Krishna movement off the ground? Of course not and His Divine Grace treated them with kindness, understanding and love. HDG bought all the food, prepared and cooked all of it and cleaned up all the dishes. The rest of the time HDG taught them about the love of Krishna. That is the example!

Thank You all for the advice about going to temple. I will enjoy the prasadam and will be hoping to meet devotees that will be a fine example for me to follow. However if I percieve faults in them I will understand that they are walking a path that is good and I will try to see their many virtues. Are there any devotees in the Philadelphia temple that people would recommend I seek out? Hare Krishna

Hare Krishna,

I like your last post of 'when someone is trying to walk the path'. There's indeed no need to act all puffed-up as most western devotees stem from a meat-eating diet. This meat-eating diet unfortunately, is the commonly accepted way of west. Unfortunately so, because the west, and especially the USA, is having a huge influence on the rest of the world, even India is affected by it, despite it's culture coming through numerous brutal foreign occupations virtually unscathed. So it's clear that the lure of sense gratification is very strong, especially now in the age of Kali, when it is rampant.

The responses you are getting are thus somewhat like an automatically triggered response, because western vegetarians/vegans are commonly challenged and criticized for their dietary habits. So here they have given you some replies which may seem a little harsh and bitter. That said, I do have to comment that in your initial post you have given us very little to work with. All you said was that it was a negative experience for you and that it felt strange. A little further on you expand on it by saying you didn't feel up to par on mentally and physically and also somewhat unwell. That is a little more helpful.

The sollution to your dilemma may actually be remarkably simple. Sri Srimad A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada often brought up the example of a jaundiced person. To this person, sweet things will taste very bitter. Now consider that most of the western world is in a state of jaundice. Therefore the sweet nectarean diet of Krishna can taste very bitter to those heavily intoxicated by western diet. In this case the simple sollution is to continue the Krishna diet, even though it at first may have a 'seemingly' averse effect on you. In actuality the diet is purging your body and your mind of the poisonous effects of a meat-eating diet. Bear in mind though that simply turning to vegetarian diet alone is not enough. The idea is to eat only prasadam, food offered to the Supreme Lord. Cook your vegetarian meals with only Krishna in your mind and not with the idea of filling your belly. At first this should not be hard for you since your body seems averse to vegetarian food :). I recommend getting a few cookbooks from your local Krishna temple as there are so many delicious dishes inside that overrule the hankering for non-vegetarian food. In my case I instantly loved the 'Hare Krishna' cuisine and therefore have admittedly more times than not cooked for my own sense gratification. Anyway, as this is probably too daunting or difficult for you to do at home the best option is to visit the local temple as often as you can, as it is a double-take. You will hear nectarean knowledge and stories of the Supreme Lord, you will associate with devotees and you will get true prasadam. The more you visit the temple,hear and associate and partake of prasadam the sweeter it will taste. In this way you will gradually purge your sinful activities out of body and mind. I will leave you with a bit of copy/paste action. It's a section that seems relevant to all participants of this discussion. Haribol and good luck!

Srila Prabhupada asked all his disciples to refrain from sinful activities, specifically the eating of meat, fish and eggs, the taking of intoxicants, engagement in illicit sex, and gambling. And yet, before coming to the West in 1965, Srila Prabhupada, like Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati, was prepared, if need be, to relax the strict rules that govern the path of spiritual life. In the book ‘Prabhupada at Radha Damodara’ by Mahanidhi Swami, Srila Prabhupada’s good friend Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaja recounts how Srila Prabhupada spoke of his desire to preach in Western countries: “I will establish boarding facilities for interested people. If they want, I will give meat also, and eggs also, and wine also. I believe that after hearing Hari Nam Sankirtan (the chanting of the holy names, Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare) and the siksha (instructions) of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, then certainly they will reject all these things, and surely they will become pure Vaisnavas.”

Great personalities like Lord Shiva, or great acharyas, may sometimes transgress conventional behaviour, but this is the exception and not the rule. We should also note in this connection that those who see such behaviour in an exalted Vaisnava and, not understanding their higher motives, dare to criticize them out of pride, are certainly condemned by the scriptures.

The serious student on the spiritual path must endeavour to strictly follow the regulative life, as set out by Srila Prabhupada. The Bhagavad-gita, the most widely read of all India’s religious texts, states that the enjoyment which is derived from contact of the senses with their objects “appears like nectar at first but poison at the end.” Conversely, the pursuit of self-realization “in the beginning may be like poison but at the end is just like nectar.” Our condition is compared to the person suffering from jaundice, for whom sweet things taste bitter. As one becomes cured of the disease, his good taste returns. Similarly, one who takes to the path of Krishna consciousness may initially have no taste for such things, but if he progresses with care and attention he will soon relish the greatest nectar. (It is not necessary to elaborate on how sense gratification ultimately reveals itself as poison, for most of us will have had some first hand experience of this.)

Guest guest

there is no such thing as "meat withdrawal".....you're just doubting the fact that we are naturally supposed to be vegetarian.

It would be nice if people would be honest.

Some people do suffer health issues when switching diets if you didn`t good for you but don`t make a play like it isn`t a real problem for some.

If you have mood swings you might try balancing your diet out at first. If you normally eat meat 3 times a day drop it to two times a day and allow your body some time to adjust.

Guest guest

Ok so I guess we should bend the rules a little for Allen...since he is having negative feelings about giving up meat.

Next time you go to the temple, just bring in your hamburger and eat it along with the prasadam. You know, so you don't feel "negative" and lose your temper because there is no meat in your plate.

Seriously man....give me a break. You are too caught up in your physical/mental speculations. Stop over-analyzing your feelings and just toughen up.

You have to tell yourself that meat eating is wrong, and it must be stopped ASAP. Be strong and ignore these complications. And in a few weeks time you will be even stronger and more attached to Krishna.

Srila Prabhupada was a pure devotee. He had both the knowledge and the authority to bend the rules. Afterall, there was no ISKCON before he came here. But once the foundation was set, so were the rules and regulations.

The early followers had free will to accept Krishna or not. HDG just planted the seeds. It was their choice to allow the seed to grow. The

So i'm sorry if i sound harsh, but i'm just telling you like it is. Think spiritually first, and the material desires will be washed out.

BG 2.14

matra-sparsas tu kaunteya

sitoshna-sukha-duhkha-dah

agamapayino 'nityas

tams titikshasva bharata

O son of Kunti, the nonpermanent appearance of happiness and distress, and their disappearance in due course, are like the appearance and disappearance of winter and summer seasons. They arise from sense perception, O scion of Bharata, and one must learn to tolerate them without being disturbed.

just tell Krishna, "I'm stopping meat eating today. Just for you Krishna"

all your "negative feelings" will be no more.

-Hare Krishna

u fail to realize that prabhupada brought and implemented these rules n regs in a most loving way. not the way u are doing (to the last comment).

are u even an initiated devotee?

devotees are tolerant and humble. at least this is how i was brought up.

we teach by example. NOT by saying ur wrong, ur bad etc. who taught u to preach like this?

allen, i hope that u can eventually give up meat, and i am sure u will. kno that there are devotees (practicing) like myself, who dont judge so superficially, and would offer u encouragement rather than fear based belief.

hare krsna

manu dasa adhikari

Guest guest

i'm not trying to judge anyone. I'm not trying to scare you. I'm not saying you are worthless or anyless of a person just because you eat meat.

I myself ate meat for almost 30 years of my life. If I can give it up, so can anyone else.

i'm just telling you to be strong....don't let your emotions get in the way of your goal of giving up meat. Maya will try to pull you away from your path, so just stop eating meat and start chanting.

-Hare Krishna

On 3-25-06 at 8:15PM Guest stated," I did it so anybody can." Yes of course we are all the same. How stupid of me. I just didn't know.

I also don't know why I didn't go to the Olympics a few months ago and participate in the figure skating competition. If they can skate around and spin and jump at lightening speed then I should have been able to do it. All I needed to do was toughen up. It all seems so simple now. All I needed to do was follow THE RULES of skating and I would have been able to do it. I wish I would have known that. I would have really liked to have participated in the Olympics. It really is all so simple!

This is the immature, simplistic, hard-hearted and cold attitude that has rendered almost all the Hare Krishna temples empty of Americans. The reality is that we are ALL different. We all come to everything we encounter in life with different capabilities, strengths and weaknesses. The mature understanding of this FACT, coupled with patience and kindness would make the Hare Krishna movement once again ATTRACTIVE to others that we all want to come to Krishna. Attractive is the key word. The ATTRACTION to the beauty of the deities and the nectar of the Bhagavad Gita and the beauty that was HDG IS WHAT INITIALLY BROUGHT US ALL TO KRISHNA. What has repelled many of us is the behavior of many of the devotees. The immaturity of so many of the devotees is their responses to people who come to a temple is what has withered HDG's movement.

This is a key problem that must be addressed if we want to revive and attract people to, the movement. Standing at the gates of the movement with both feet dug in and announcing that only people who can follow all the rules all the time and that you must IMMEDIATELY change everything is sure to extinguish the flame of the Hare Krishna movement. Very very few people can do that. There are many people however who can be guided along with kindness, guidance, encouragement and inspiration. It is vitally important to realize that if we are to continue to help HDG realize the goal of the movement, which was to bring Krishna Consciousness to the west, then meeting people where they are and gently guiding them where we want them to be takes great patience and understanding. People are drawn to those ATTRACTIVE qualities.

The point of maturity is when ADULT men and women: come to the realistic acceptance of imperfection and of deficiency in themselves, in others, and in their most cherished institutions. Hare Krishna

Guest guest

Who are you to talk about the nectar of the Gita, and the beauty of the Deities?

You're still a meat-eater. Don't start preaching about the Hare Krishna movement as if you are part of it. Just admit that you are stubborn and egocentric.

You're just trying to " buy more time" so that you can still enjoy your meat eating while you try to convince us to be more "understanding" and "mature"

At this point you're preaching the glories of the movement, and the mercy of HDG...then in a few mins you'll go and eat some meat.

If you understand this much about the movement, how the heck can you go and eat meat after giving us your little speech on guidance and encouragment.

Hypocrite.