IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Yegan

Krishna passing away

Rate this topic

Hare krishna everyone,

Just got a question. I am just wondering how Lord krishna passed away. Did he just leave the body(soul goes away from body,{His body is spiritual so i presume the soul leaving the body does not stand here}) or he just disappeared? Please state where in the scriptures you got your answers. Thank you

Yegan :cool:

Jai Radhe

Krishna performed a very special pastime known as maushala lila whereby a hunter had mistaken His redish foot for an animal and shot Him in the foot with an arrow. Lord Krishna then manifested a false body to delude and satisfy the atheistic class of men who believe Bhagavan to be an ordinary mortal. The arrowhead that was used on the arrow was the iron remnants of an iron ball that was cursed to destroy the Yadu dynasty.

It is a long intertwining story, but after the ball was "born" from the womb of samba it was taken by king Ugrasena and ground to dust (as he was told this iron ball would destroy the Yadu dynasty). When filing it down there was a small piece left over (like when you grate cheese, there is always a little lump at the end that you can't grate). The dust and iron lump were thrown in the ocean and the dust washed ashore near dwaraka. Each piece of iron dust grew into an iron bamboo shoot, and an entire forest of iron bamboo trees was formed. The lump that was left over was eaten by a fish. A fisherman later caught that fish and gave the iron lump to the hunter who made it into the arrowhead that was used on the arrow that shot Lord Krishna in the foot.

The rest of the Yadu dynasty had gone for a picnic to the bamboo forest, and after becoming intoxicated they began to fight amongst themselves. They all grabbed the iron bamboo sticks and began to kill each other in battle. This is how Krishna destroyed his dynasty as he had promised to mother earth (Bhumi Devi).

You can read about this story in the eleventh canto of the Srimad Bhagavatam. Prabhupada mentions it briefly in Caitanya Caritamrita:

Some of Lord Kṛṣṇa's pastimes are mentioned in the Mahābhārata as mauṣala-līlā. These include the stories of the destruction of the Yadu dynasty, Kṛṣṇa's disappearance, His being pierced by a hunter's arrow, the story of Kṛṣṇa's being an incarnation of a piece of hair (keśa-avatāra) as well as mahiṣī-haraṇa, the kidnapping of Kṛṣṇa's queens. Actually these are not factual but are related for the bewilderment of the asuras, who want to prove that Kṛṣṇa is an ordinary human being. They are false in the sense that these pastimes are not eternal, nor are they transcendental or spiritual. There are many people who are by nature averse to the supremacy of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Viṣṇu. Such people are called asuras. They have mistaken ideas about Kṛṣṇa. As stated in the Bhagavad-gītā, the asuras are given a chance to forget Kṛṣṇa more and more, birth after birth. Thus they make their appearance in a family of asuras and continue this process, being kept in bewilderment about Kṛṣṇa. Asuras in the dress of sannyāsīs even explain the Bhagavad-gītā and Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam in different ways according to their own imaginations. Thus they continue to remain asuras birth after birth.

Prabhupada also mentions this in first canto of Srimad Bhagavatam:

When the Yadu dynasty was to be vanquished, Ugrasena was entrusted with the iron lump produced from the womb of Sāmba. He cut the iron lump into pieces and then pasted it and mixed it up with the sea water on the coast of Dvārakā. After this, he ordered complete prohibition within the city of Dvārakā and the kingdom. He got salvation after his death.

In the above quote regarding Krsna's mausala-lila Srila Prabhupada says regarding these pastimes, "they are false in the sense that these pastimes are not eternal, nor are they transcendental or spiritual".

I have not read this before. Could someone please clarify how some of Krsna's pastimes are not eternal or spiritual.

In the above quote regarding Krsna's mausala-lila Srila Prabhupada says regarding these pastimes, "they are false in the sense that these pastimes are not eternal, nor are they transcendental or spiritual".

I have not read this before. Could someone please clarify how some of Krsna's pastimes are not eternal or spiritual.

The higher devotees do not relish any transcendental mellows, rasa by hearing of Krsna mausala lila. This lila is more or less to bewilder the atheists. For these reasons the mausala-lila is not considered "transcendental or spiritual" by the expert devotees.

Thank you Beggar for enlightening my understanding with this clear reply.

I was viewing a documentary on the insect kingdom in this material world recently and it made me start thinking how truly complete is Krsna and how complete is all that eminates from him.

I thought, if such perfection is here just imagine how wonderful must be Goloka Vrindavan and the spiritual world. Your reply has kindled this remeberance of Krsna's beautiful pastimes in the spiritual world.