IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sunandaji

mouse in the house !! kill it ?

Rate this topic

haribol !

i have a small flat 3rd floor donwtown and i have a ugly mouse running in from time to time. finding her place is quite uneasy as there are many holes where it can come from...

I was ready to put some poison but my friend who is vg said no no !! i don't know what to do ? what is the practical correct attitude to have in this case !!?

i thinks it is very dirty to have this mouse in my flat...

Guest guest

Posted Image

Heard about the protection of rats but not of mice.

If the house is clean they stay outside, they come because they know there's something to get.

Are mice criminal intruders? Here is an interesting conversation:

Malati: Srila Prabhupada, you said that the animals are not subject to the laws of the state, that if they steal something, they are not punished. But in our country, even if a person has a mouse in his house, a little mouse, he sets some trap and he kills him for stealing food.

Prabhupada: That is not punishment. That is to stop the disturbance. By law... There is no such law that "When there is a rat in your house, you should catch it and kill it." Law does not say. Is there any law like that?

Malati: No.

Prabhupada: Then that is another thing.

Malati: But this country had it into the laws.(?)

Prabhupada: Yes, but sometimes... That depends on the person. Sometimes... Those who are pious persons, they know that these rats, they are also hungry and they should be given some food. That is the vision of the pious person. And that is stated in the Srimad-Bhagavatam, that in your house you should see not only to the welfare of your children. Even there is a lizard, there is a rat, even there is a snake, you should see how he is also comfortably situated. That is spiritual communism. In Vrndavana still, a snake found in the house is never killed, snake. Still a rat is never killed. If you kill a rat in Vrndavana, then so many people will come: "Oh, you are committing such sinful acts. You are killing a rat." That depends on the mentality of the person. You can take care of this animal, I mean to say, against the disturbance created by this animal, but you cannot kill them. That is not. But when it is unavoidable, we have to do like that. But as far as possible we should avoid. We have heard from our father that his elder brother in the village had a cloth shop, and there were rats. So at night he would keep a big bowl of rice in the middle of the shop, and the rats will eat whole night. They would not commit any harm to the cloth. They respect it. They are also hungry, they are also living entities. They have also right to live, to eat. Isavasyam idam sarvam. Everything. They are God's creatures. The food is not only meant for you, that you shall simply eat rice and not allow to the rats and cats. No. That is not Vedic injunction. You will find in the Srimad-Bhagavatam. You can take precaution. After all, they are animals. But you cannot kill.

Himavati: But then if you think further, that is that if you are going to make a program to feed the animals in your house, then won't more and more animals come into your residence? Suppose I feed these rats and I go on feeding them. Won't more and more rats come?

Prabhupada: Well, the rats will be fed. Either you give or not, it will steal. So that is not the problem. But if you give them food, they will... Of course, that is Western philosophy, that because the animals are increasing, they should be killed. We Indians also, we have taken that view--because we cannot give protection to the cows, they must be sent to the slaughterhouse. That is the modern view. But that is not injunction of the Vedas. The Vedas says that everyone has right to live, every living entity. That is going on not only in consideration of the animals--even in human beings. Just like the Americans, they were all Europeans, and they entered this American land, killed so many Red Indians. So these kind of things are going on, but that does not mean that is the law. You killed so many Red Indians for your benefit, but you have to suffer for that. So that... This is going on in the human society, but that does not mean it is dharma. No. Dharma means you have to abide by the regulation given by the Vedas.

Guest guest

When Huston temple had rats [re: tsaneladi]

09/01/02 09:49 PM Edit Reply

When we were serving at the old Huston Temple on Rosalie Street Goura Nitais boga room would become filled with rats as soon as we finshed up the cleaning at night.

They seems to come in from under the door and by Krishna Grace didnt go past the boga room.

At that time all the devotees were very sensitive of how to get rid of the rats in the less volient of ways so we would place a cat at night in the boga room.

When we would put the cat in all hell seemed to break out in that room.

All kinds of noised the cat would make but we never saw and dead rats .

It seemed by the present of the cat each night the rats just advoided the place and in a short time we never saw any more rats

where before there were at least 20 living within the room.

Here in China which i have just returned there were also so many rats seen everyday seraching within the rumbage car in the fount of our house.

The city would place posion rice dyded bright red outside before but the rats seemed never to be affected by it.

Now we have seen we have many cats living and sleeping in the plants in fornt of the house,one very beautiful white cat likes to sleep under our bogaviya bushes and where there were many rats before none can be seen any longer.

To stop ants placeing corlox beach on the areas they tread seems to reduce the favoabity of thier wandering into your house

at certian time when the rains come they like to take shelter of the house.

I have to constantly ask our Chinese guess not to kill them as they seem to enjoy crushing whole lines of them at once.

I sweep up the roaches on thier back and through them out side the windows .there is something about roaches that terifies me but it also terifies me when when one of our Chinese friends crushes them under thier shoes.

In China there is a small electric devise that they place a scented tablet on that keep the mosquito out compeltly they say it kills them but I have never seen and eveidence of this.

So I use it when the room has mosquitos.

When in Bombay temple Patiti Udaran told once he complained to Srila Prabhupada about the roaches in the San Fransico Temple asking His Divine Grace could we kill them Srila Prabhupada?

He told me Srila Prabhupada look him right in the face and told him"You should be Killed"

Then in Bombay rats would allways be playing on the window stills at night of our rooms there were no screens but we just

let them along I never saw them enter the temple.

In Calcutta we would sleep on the roof of Radha Govinda s temple there on Albert road and wake at night many time have rats at our feet,we were tolf that they had a way of cuting the feet and blowing on it at the same time while one slept making it painless

to the sleeping and like a vampire drink to blood of the sleeper.

Forgently Im a lite sleeper,cats seem like the best deterent to rats when the rats detect the scent of a cat they advoid the place

ys

pita das

Guest guest

There are some electronic devices you can plug in that emit a sound offensive to mice. They work quite well.

They will go someplace else. Same with mosquitos-when I travel to india I take a device that has two programs-one the sound of dragonfly wings (works in South India) and one that makes a noise like a male mosquito-works better in the North-don't think it speaks the same language as S Indian mosquitos or something). The females (who bite)are repelled by and avoid the males.

I got it at one of the Alpin Air stores. I think you can get the mouse repeller in most pet supply catalogues.

I had a small mouse running around in my house once.. I left a 3 liter soda bottle on the floor and one day I was able to catch it inside the bottle.. You shouldnt kill the mouse.. Just find a humane trap to catch it in..

According to the Vedic pancha maha-yajnas, it is the duty of everyone to feed the smaller living entities in their house, such as insects, etc; and that actually counteracts the sins of accidentally killing insects and animals when we cook, wash, etc.

In your situation you may not be inclined to feed them, but you can at least avoid killing them. You could get a cage trap that catches it without hurting it, then release it outside. Or you can use the electronic device recommended above.

Prabhupada's father used to leave rice out in his shop so that the rats would eat that instead of other things. In the west the view is how to destroy "pests", whereas in the east it used to be understood that they are also entitled to live where they are. For the sake of cleanliness there can be a ballance between the two.

Guest guest

TRANSLATION

One should treat animals such as deer, camels, asses, monkeys, mice, snakes, birds and flies exactly like one's own son. How little difference there actually is between children and these innocent animals.

PURPORT

One who is in Krishna consciousness understands that there is no difference between the animals and the innocent children in one's home. Even in ordinary life, it is our practical experience that a household dog or cat is regarded on the same level as one's children, without any envy. Like children, the unintelligent animals are also sons of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and therefore a Krishna conscious person, even though a householder, should not discriminate between children and poor animals. *Unfortunately, modern society has devised many means for killing animals in different forms of life. For example, in the agricultural fields there may be many mice, flies and other creatures that disturb production, and sometimes they are killed by pesticides. In this verse, however, such killing is forbidden. Every living entity should be nourished by the food given by the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Human society should not consider itself the only enjoyer of all the properties of God; rather, men should understand that all the other animals also have a claim to God's property. In this verse even the snake is mentioned, indicating that a householder should not be envious even of a snake. If everyone is fully satisfied by eating food that is a gift from the Lord, why should there be envy between one living being and another? In modern days people are very much inclined toward communistic ideas of society, but we do not think that there can be any better communistic idea than that which is explained in this verse of Srimad-Bhägavatam. **Even in the communistic countries the poor animals are killed without consideration, although they also should have the right to take their allotted food with which to live.