IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Who is Visnujana Swami?

Rate this topic

That is an interesting point which I hadn't considered. I'm definitely open to that possibility. If true, then what are we to conclude? Perhaps he did commit suicide, but the factual details of this account were doctored up? I vaguely remember that we were told that Srila Prabhupada had said that "Vishnujana is hiding." I can't remember the timeline on this, whether he said this before or after he said "He should not have done this." (Suicide.) I consider it highly doubtful that he is still alive. I mean, it's been 30 years now. Surely he would have surfaced by now and contacted devotees during this time, whether in Iskcon or in some other Vaishnava association. Maybe TKG knew more than he was telling? I guess we'll never know for sure. During that era, most word-of-mouth info from GBC members was accepted as gospel. And during that time, I recall many of the members of the Radha Damodara TSKP saying that TKG was "GBC of the world." (Perhaps this was just a preaching tactic for recruiting brahmacaris from the Temples which the busses were visiting.)

Guest guest

I knew both Visnujana Maharaja and Tamal Krishna Maharaja....thoughts:

-VM, if still alive, would not be able to disappear for 30 years and exist in any type of social milieu without some rumor of his continued presence surfacing. He either passed away or has been walled up for quite some time in a secret cave in the Himalayas.

-"Sincere suicide" or just depression? During my time with VM he impressed me with his spiritual glories, and also as a most sensible individual. On this basis, I simply cannot imagine his planning to commit suicide without verifying what Srila Prabhupada said directly with SP...and, of course, I certainly can't concieve of SP advising him to do so! This leads me to conclude that if he indeed heard SP make the remark attributed, and acted on it by committing suicide, then he was already suffering from some type of severe mental or emotional disturbance. Great souls suffer illnesses...

-Regarding any type of involvement by TKG in VM's death...baloney. Conspiracy theorists never tire of hatching up conspiracies...they're still working just as hard on Kennedy as they were 40 years ago.

All Glories to Srila Prabhupada.

I knew both Visnujana Maharaja and Tamal Krishna Maharaja....thoughts:

-VM, if still alive, would not be able to disappear for 30 years and exist in any type of social milieu without some rumor of his continued presence surfacing. He either passed away or has been walled up for quite some time in a secret cave in the Himalayas.

-"Sincere suicide" or just depression? During my time with VM he impressed me with his spiritual glories, and also as a most sensible individual. On this basis, I simply cannot imagine his planning to commit suicide without verifying what Srila Prabhupada said directly with SP...and, of course, I certainly can't concieve of SP advising him to do so! This leads me to conclude that if he indeed heard SP make the remark attributed, and acted on it by committing suicide, then he was already suffering from some type of severe mental or emotional disturbance. Great souls suffer illnesses...

-Regarding any type of involvement by TKG in VM's death...baloney. Conspiracy theorists never tire of hatching up conspiracies...they're still working just as hard on Kennedy as they were 40 years ago.

All Glories to Srila Prabhupada.

You're right - all conspirancies - the only remaining question, if he isnt alive where is he burried?

Guest guest

Has anyone investigated this thoroughly? Wouldn't it be wonderful if perhaps someone might do so and help put the pieces together for us all, and for posterity? Vishnujana was the best. What a loss. God bless him.

Guest guest

Has anyone investigated this thoroughly? Wouldn't it be wonderful if perhaps someone might do so and help put the pieces together for us all, and for posterity? Vishnujana was the best. What a loss. God bless him.

Uh-oh...I'm falling into conspiracy-theorist mode...maybe someone really big doesn't want an investigation?

Seriously, I believe it more than likely happened as described.

You're right. He was the best...the first person I asked about when I returned to ISKCON after a long absence. I was very saddened when told about his passing.

It may be a very real possibility that he just drowned in the Ganga and was never found. Every year one or two devotees drown in India, even those who are expert swimmers.

In the last six months I have heard of three devotees drowning so far.

I agree. I wouldn't go looking for a grave. Whether he meant to commit suicide or drownded accidentally, he would certainly have washed down the river. Goodness only knows how many bodies must float down that holy river each month. I've been in the Ganga, and, although I'm a strong swimmer (been a surfer and bodysurfer my whole life), it's easy for me to see how anyone might be overcome by its current.

Guest guest

You may be right, but something tells me that there's more to this story than just an accident. Who really knows, but Krishna, of course. Still, there's a nagging voice in my heart that all is not right. But then again, Krishna is the supreme controller. At least we're remembering that great saintly person, Vishnujana Maharaj, ki jaya! God rest his soul.

I agree. I wouldn't go looking for a grave. Whether he meant to commit suicide or drownded accidentally, he would certainly have washed down the river. Goodness only knows how many bodies must float down that holy river each month. I've been in the Ganga, and, although I'm a strong swimmer (been a surfer and bodysurfer my whole life), it's easy for me to see how anyone might be overcome by its current.

On behalf of SecretJeevas Productions, creators of Vishnujana.com, we want to share with you that his famliy has talked to us, and they have not heard from him since.

The above story of Vishnujana's disappearance is false. Vishnujana Swami did not leave this planet because he thought that talking to his ex-wife was a falldown. We have spoken extensively with devotees and people who knew him; espeacially at that time. There was something bothering Vishnujana before he left for India. We interviewed a devotee who spoke with him at the airport, and he says that Vishnujana said to him, "So, you still like to chant." As in that not many people like to do that anymore. It is most likely that Vishnujana Swami saw some men who were around Srila Prabhupada waiting to take over a multimillion dollar ISKCON as false gurus. Vishnujana being a pure devotee was probably depressed as he saw this, and would have no part in it.

When Srila Prabhupada left his physical body in 1977, Vishnujana Swami was there leading a kirtan for his entrance into the next world....

SecretJeevas Productions

wHEN i HEAR IDIOT RUMOURS LIKE THAT, PUNCTUATED WITH THE STATEMENT "yES, i AM CRAZY", i REALLY WONDER HOW IT ALL LASTED THIS LONG. Thank goodness there were some sane followers.

Guest guest

I nominate some devotee to go and visit Fur Peace* Ranch which is a guitar school owned by former members of the Jefferson Airplane and interview Jorma Kaukonen about Visnu jana before JK passes on.

[* It's a "fur peace" down the road...]

JK is still doing 200 gigs a year with Hot Tuna and Jack Casady, but when he is not doing that he is running a guitar camp in southeastern Ohio town of Pomeroy. He is age 65 so maybe someone can interview him and find out what he knows about VJS pre and post KC.

1-740-992-2575

world wide web dot furpeaceranch dot com

Guest guest

Back Home

This is the story of Visnujana Swami's disappearance from this material world, back to Godhead. Visnujana Maharaja was a very advanced sanyasi and he enlivened living entities moving and non-moving all over America and beyond. Before Visnujana joined the Hare Krishna Movement back in the 60's he had separated from his wife and daughter.

He talked to them at the 1975 San Francisco Rathayatra for about an hour. Visnujana heard that it was considered a 'falldown' for him to talk to his ex-wife since he was a sanyasi. Although I'm sure Visnujana was pure in his intentions; he still felt guilty as charged.

This bothered him for quite some time. He came to India for the 1976 Goura-pournima festival. Visnujana Swami approached Srila Prabhupada who was walking on his rooftop and asked him what a sanyasi should do if he 'falls down'. Srila Prabhupada answered that like Chota Haridas he should commit suicide. There were quite a few devotees crowded around Srila Prabhupada as he walked.

Srila Prabhupada hesitated for a moment and continued; but in this age the atonement is to just re-engage in devotional service. Visnujana Swami didn't hear this part. He thought Srila Prabhupada had already answered his question and he faded to the back of the crowd.

That night Visnujana disappeared. He went to where Chota Haridas, from Chaitanya lila, committed suicide at Prayag and paid a few sadhus to help him with the ultimate sacrifice. They chanted special mantras so that he would not talk a 'ghost body.' Then rocks were tied to his cloth and he jumped off the boat into the Holy Waters.

The Sadhus went to the New Delhi temple and told them about the 'white sanyasi' and what had happened. As the news spread around the world we were/are all deeply saddened by the event.

its possible, except i think its likely that NO MATTER HOW FAR he got washed down the river, when the indian authorities finally found a random white guy ,wearng neckbeads and maybe even a brahmin thread, wouldnt they have automatically tried calling up iskcon headquarters to find out who it was?