IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
raga

A Heartfelt Apology

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Audarya lila I don't hold any grudge or bad feelings towards Madhava, and at the same time I am not naive when it comes to rhetorical shenanigans. You may not see the motivation and insinuation for the dichotomy Madhava creates, nevertheless to me it is glaring and cannot be missed. Damning with faint praise while making a belittling judgement tells me that his "apology" is simply a tactic to regain his audience for his guru pretensions. As you know he has been recently embarrassed and lost a lot of respect from the people who were regulars at his forum which he tried to run as the co-guru. Now that his co-guru has come out as a sahajiya he has shut down his forum. He has lost a lot of respect from his potential acolytes, or at least he feels he has. So this "apology" to me is simply a tactic to regain his "good name" through an appeal to humility and a distancing from the past.

While I have no problem with his lament that "I just have to follow my heart" routine, although I can't help but be humoured by his inept sense of propriety in making humble assertions while simultaneously claiming the mantle of authenticity as rightly his while shooing us on our way down the lumpen path.

He can only believe and do what Krishna wills him to do and believe, nothing less and nothing more. So I can't blame him for what he does. It's a learning experience which Sri Radha Krishna puts us through so that we can become better people, closer to Her, closer to our goal. If we can see the hand God showing us all we perceive, showing us whatever is we experience for the purpose of expanding our hearts, for breaking down the false sense of being able to control that which is beyond our control, then everything we encounter will be something which will reveal God to us. Everything we encounter will be inspiring us to go beyond the mental plane and into the transcendental dimension, which is freedom from identification with the mind. Freedom from misidentifying the nature of our sensory environment. When we can see all as one and one as all, then we are left with nothing but God all around and within ourselves.

Madhava is an actor on a stage as am I as are you. The director is controlling the play. The purpose of the play is to reveal the director to us, here, now, and always. Detach from material vision and try to see who is really in control over these words. If you can you will see the true nature of this reality we share. If you can see what is real and what is illusion, then some progress has come from all of this for you. Be conscious of reality in this moment, then keep this moment alive in whatever you experience. Whatever you encounter is all the same ontological reality. It is all God and under God's control. God is here. Now. Everywhere. All of the time. Understand? If you can see this essential truth, here and now, then you will always be able to see it. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Madhavananda,

Perhaps I should make it perfectly clear what I want from you. It I don't want you to repudiate your current guru and I don't want to disturb your sraddha.

What I want is that you and your allies should stop trying to preach to us that you have a higher knowledge of the scriptures than what has come down to us through our Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur. In other words, I am sick of the way your group act like Pandits and tell us we don't know what Gaudiya Vaishnavism is really about.

Here is a short list of things you and your friends have sought to educate us about in the past.

What colour clothes a Gaudiya Vaishnav will wear.

What Guru-Parampara means.

Siddha-Pranali, ekadasa bhava etc.

Lalita Prashad's version of Bhaktivinode Thakur's teachings.

What place it was, where Sri Nimai was born.

The process of Diksa.

One of the main reasons I've persisted with that discussion about Siddha-pranali is that I was tired of your harping on about how we descendents of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur have no parampara because we don't get given siddha-pranali. And what is the conclusion that comes out through all my research: Your spiritual body is already inside you and you don't NEED to be told about it since knowledge of it will arise naturally when you are at the appropriate stage to meditate on your spiritual body.

Madhavananda if you stopped trying to collect followers by preaching against what Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur taught then I would show the same regard for you that I show for Vaishnavas such as the devotees and sevait Acharyas at Radha-Damodara, Radha-Syamsundar or Radha-Raman.

Stop trying to be a leech sucking on the body of the Hare Krishna movement. It is just as if your group are leeches trying to suck blood or people out of the Hare Krishna movement. I agree with Advaitadas's assessment that you have been trying to get some followers for yourself. Instead, why don't you go out on the streets with a mrdanga or kartals and try to attract people with the sound of Hare Krishna that you vibrate on your lips. If you do that then you will get respect from the disciples within the Hare Krishna movement. This movement was started by Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada when he sat down under a tree in New York city. If you go and sit under a tree in a park near your house and you loudly chant Hare Krishna then we will begin to feel that you are someone worthy of our respect.

Guest guest

Assuming that you are talking about Vaishnavas, you refer to them as dogs? is this what your guru teaches you? Is this what you have learnt?

Shame on you.

Guest guest

At the end of the day Raga has apologised for his past postings, yet people still have grudges.

You claim to be Vaishnavas, SHOW YOUR VAISHNAVISM!

Muralidhar Dasji,

I believe I have tried to make it quite clear in the last year or so that we would rather not get into quarrels with representatives of IGM, and we have repeatedly stated the same at Gaudiya Discussions. Reading the "Our Principles and Guidelines" document atop the now closed forum makes this abundantly clear.

Education on the themes you mention has taken place, as far as I am concerned, on account of a demand for the same. If people feel a need to move from IGM towards other Gaudiya denominations, inquiring about their views on the said matters, am I supposed to not say a word? I do not come to your temples to preach those conclusions, I do not come to your forums to preach those conclusions unless invited.

We have now even closed down the public arena called Gaudiya Discussions and moved to a format where most of the forum view is closed from public view, where we can discuss topics of choice among ourselves in peace without disturbing the minds of others. What more am I supposed to do?

As far as the "& Co" referred to. I do not have control over the minds and mouths of others. Please do not lump everyone together, I have no official representatives roaming about in the cyberspace, reflecting my views. If you wish to know of my current views concerning any given matter, then please ask me. Please do not make the words of a thousand others look like they represent me, because they don't.

// Madhavananda Das //

Madhavavananda if you have faith in your guru then of course you will teach others what you have learned from him. The thing is, though, that this artificial "traditional" vs "IGM" dichotomy that you, I repeat YOU, manufactured, naturally invites people to say, "who is genuine, who is a neo-Vaishnava". And from there it goes on - yadda yadda yadda. Really I find no justification whatsoever for anyone saying that Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur and his descendents are anything less than authentic Gaudiya Vaishnavas.

Guest guest

Question: How can we overcome the propensity to find fault and criticise others?

Answer by His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Ballabha Tirtha Maharaj

Our Most Revered Gurudeva occasionally warned us by saying that after the disappearance of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and His personal associates as well as the prominent Vaishnav Acharyas Narottam Thakur, Shyamananda Prabhu and Srinivas Acharya etc., darkness descended on the horizon of Shuddha Bhakti and many pseudo sects cropped up. The renowned saint Totaram Das Babaji Maharaj mentioned thirteen pseudo sects— `Aula, baula, karttabhaja, neda, daravesa, sani, sahajiya, sakhibheki, smarta, jata-gosani ativadi, cudadhari, gauranga-nagari, tota kahe ei tera sanga nahi kori'. Sincere aspirants should be careful to avoid association of the pseudo sects— each of the pseudo sects try to establish that they are actually preaching Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's teachings. But actually they are defaming, disrespecting and tarnishing the teachings of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Our Guruvarga refuted their contentions with strong words so that sincere souls would not be misled and deprived of getting actual spiritual devotional benefit. A novice, beginner, may be cheated. But at the same time, they gave a warning to us - don't attack, out of personal grudge, the persons who are preaching pseudo sects. We are not to attack any person in this world as he is from Krishna, by Krishna and in Krishna. Sadhus have got no personal grudge to anybody in this world, but for the eternal benefit of all, they refute the anti-devotional contentions only to save sincere souls from being misled. If we attack those proponents with hostile mentality, those bad qualities of the pseudo sects will revert to us and we will have a spiritual fall. Even if followers of those protagonists come to the sadhus, they pay respect to them and serve them with prasad because they have got no personal grudge. If they sincerely want to hear pure devotional conclusive thoughts, sadhus speak to them mildly, establish devotional thoughts and show the defects of anti-devotional thoughts. But they remain silent when they find the person has come not to hear sincerely, but to show pedantic fits. Shuddha Bhaktas do not like idle talks. They have no desire to speak unnecessarily because they want to engage themselves fully for the service of God and His devotees. They know any moment they may leave this most perishable world. They are completely disinterested in non-eternal worldly affairs. Real aspirants utilise their time for their actual benefit, and they have no time to find faults and criticize others.

Vaishnava is Paramhansa. As a swan can extract milk from a mixture of water and milk, Vaishnavas can see good qualities in human beings. Human beings have both good and bad qualities in them. When good qualities predominate he is called good and when bad qualities predominate he is called bad person. Emancipated Realised souls have only good qualities. They are the rarest in this world. The vaishnava has got the capacity to see good qualities in all human beings. They have got no propensity to see bad qualities. They see bad qualities in themselves. When a votary sees his own bad qualities, he can rectify himself. Vaishnavas have got no vanity or pride. They give respect to all but do not aspire for getting respect from others.

The root cause is false ego and false interests. The material world is finite, so if anybody gets some property, others are deprived of it. When human beings are taught that they are physical bodies, they all try to get requirements of the body and compete against one another for this. Actually the real self is neither physical body nor material body. Being enveloped by the material energy they wrongly misconceive. So the Indian Rishis first tried for material property and afterwards they found it would lead to extreme suffering. Actually the requirement is Complete Bliss, Who is God - Purna-sukh - Absolute Bliss or Infinite Bliss. Infinite Sachchidananda is Infinite Bliss. If the attention of human beings is diverted towards Infinite bliss and if anybody gets this Absolute Bliss, others will not be deprived of it. According to differential calculus mathematics - Infinity minus Infinity is Infinity. Infinite jivas can get Infinite bliss. There is no possibility of clashing. When persons lost their interest for material acquisitions, they become indifferent to it and clashing with others for such things cannot occur.

As long as we shall remain in this world, we should be satisfied by getting minimum material possessions. Atma requires Atma for it's sustenance, not Anatma. Anatma is foreign to it. If one attains the property of one whole world, he will have the desire to get another. The material world is actually devoid of genuine bliss. The material world is the shadow of the Supreme Lord - who is All-Existence, All-Knowledge and All-Bliss. The material world is the outcome of Maya which means `not that'. Similarly the shadow of a tree has got no actual existence.

tasmad idam jagad asesam asat-svarupam

svapnabham asta-dhisanam puru-duhkha-duhkham

tvayy eva nitya-sukha-bodha-tanav anante

mayata udyad api yat sad ivavabhati

Srimad Bhagavatam 10.14.22

This entire universe is non-eternal, so it is dream-like (illusory), transitory (not permanent), devoid of knowledge, inert and extremely painful. But O Lord Krishna! You are All-Existence, All-Knowledge and All-Bliss and therefore Infinite. The entire universe has been created and destroyed by your inconceivable power, yet it appears to be truth actually existing.

The Supreme Lord is Supreme in all aspects. He is Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent and He is All-Bliss. By the grace of Absolute Bliss we can get complete bliss. Grace descends to a surrendered soul. All desires of the votary will be fulfilled if he takes unconditional total submission to the Supreme Lord.

Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur has written—

Manasa, deha, geha, yo kichu mora, arpilun tuya pade nanda-kisora!

sampade vipade, jivane-marane, day mama gela, tuwa o-pada barane

marobi rakhobi jo iccha tohara, nitya-dasa prati tuwa adhikara

O Supreme Lord Sri Krishna! You can kill me or protect me. You can do whatever you want. You have got every right over your eternal servant.

Guest guest

Question: If everything that is happening in this material world is karma,

then to what extent do we actually have free choice? We know that supreme

Lord does not want to interfere in the relative independence of the soul.

We also know the example of the person who is ordering his wife with a

magic stick, but does not become happy because she changed into a robot by

this. But if we commit some crime, was it not the result of our karma? And

if this is so, how could we have prevented the crime? Predestiny or karma

seems to be incompatible with free choice.

God has bestowed conscience— discriminating power between good and bad,

eternal and non-eternal to human beings. So they can accept that which is

eternal and good and give up that which is non-eternal and bad. Human

beings, because of their power of discrimination, are superior to all

other species of living beings.

As human beings have got this discriminating power between good and bad,

right and wrong, if they do wrong and bad actions, they are liable to be

punished, as stated in the Gita— ‘Karmany evadhikaras te ma phaleshu

kadacana’— ‘We have got right to do karma— actions, but fruits of actions

are controlled by Me (Supreme Lord Sri Krishna).’ As beasts, birds etc.

have got no such discriminating power and as they are insensible— without

the sense of understanding, they are not punished like human beings. They

have got their development in gradual procedure. There are exceptional

cases in regard to this as stated in the scripture— ‘A pigeon being shot

by a hunter with an arrow, fell down on the ground from a tree,

circumambulated Vishnu temple while fidgeting and died. Due to this

eternal good deed, not knowing that God is satisfied if any living being

circumambulates His temple that living being will get the approved fruit,

the pigeon got next birth human body in a Brahmin family, crossing over

numerous intermediate other births, got association of bona fide devotee

and attained the Lotus Feet of Supreme Lord.

As stated above, although human beings are liable to be punished, they can

be released from the sins of millions of births by uttering Namabhas— glow

of the Holy Name of Sri Hari. Even they can get emancipation, example—

Ajamila, as narrated in Srimad Bhagavatam, 6th Canto. Uttering of the Holy

Name is even more powerful than performing silently on the beads. If Holy

Name is uttered loudly, beasts and birds will also be benefited by

hearing. It is stated in Padma Purana, while doing Harinam, the votary

should be careful, not to commit offence to Vishnu and Vaishnavas. Offence

to Vaishnavas is more serious than offence committed to Vishnu. Ajamila

did not speak ill of God or devotees, but had the aptitude of

sense-enjoyment. His youngest son’s name was Narayan. He had great

affection for the son and was fully engrossed in thinking about his son.

All of a sudden, three messengers of God of death appeared. By seeing the

horrible figures, out of fear he loudly uttered ‘Narayan!’ From the little

son it ultimately targeted Vishnu Narayan, so it is called ‘Saanketya

Namabhas’. By this he was rescued from all sins committed in his millions

of births, even got emancipation, Mukti.

It is stated above that offenders committing offence to Vaishnavas and

Guru are not rescued by uttering Holy Name, but again in this very

kaliyuga, Supreme Lord appeared as Gaur-Nityananda. Even the offenders who

committed offence to Vaishnavas and Guru, utter the Holy Name

Nitai-Gauranga with firm faith that Sriman Nintyananda Prabhu and Gauranga

Mahaprabhu are Grace-incarnate Forms of Supreme Lord, they will be rescued

form the offences. Our Most Revered Gurudeva used to warn that the votary

should be simple hearted and sincere. It is not that out of deceitfulness

they go on reproaching the sadhus and gurus thinking that they will utter

Nitai-Gauranga at the end of the day and they will they will be rescued.

This is also a kind of offence like one of the tenfold offences to Holy

Name is ‘Nama bale pap budhi’— to commit sins thinking that chanting of

the Holy Name will destroy all sins.

- Srila Bhakti Ballabh Tirtha Goswami Maharaj

Guest guest

So Madhava apolpogies, then enters in another argument. Reminds me of an elephant dusting himself after taking a bath...

The bottom line seems to be....My guru is bona fide abd your guru isn't.

I have heard all the criticism against Srila Bhakisiddhanta Prabhupada, and the "traditionalist" by their attacks imply that Srila bhaktisiddhnata is a cheater, but given the character of the man I find this hard to believe.If I recall Bhaktisiddhanta was physically attacked by some "tradational" vaisnava. Great way to be humble!

Madhava...what's your problem? Why all the intellectuallism? Who are you trying to impress?

Bhakti should be a private thing between you, your guru and Harinama Prabhu.

I feel this arguing reeks of fundamentalism. FUNDAMENTALISM is a result of lack of belief and immaturity, and often intellectuallism.

Guest guest

oops... [re: Guest]

02/07/06 06:32 AM

attacked by some tradational vaisnavaS

-----

May be this could help to clarify:

What does Sri Ananta Das Babaji Maharaja say about

Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Maharaja's mission of sending Srila Prabhupada to preach in the western hemisphere?

Guest guest

Sad [re: Guest]

02/06/06 02:58 PM

I am sad to see that so much ill feeling has risen even from an attempt to apologize.

For some, it seems, repudiating my lineage of gurus is the only thing I could do to amend my misdeeds. That is something I am willing to do.

I do not currently have the time or the interest to debate back and forth philosophical issues on which pandits have debated for the better part of a century without an end in sight, particularly not so in an atmosphere of heated feelings. I wish to focus on the positive siddhanta I have encountered, embrace that, and share that with those so inclined.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

What sad? When posting at gaudiyadiscussions so many of my posts were deleted - wrong forum, not formated, too Iskcon, too GM, off topic, etc. etc. Since Madhava prabhu cemented for years that GM/Iskcon, Prabhupada, is deviation from the original/traditional Gaudiya-Vaishnava philosophy what does he expect to hear this forum? Did his guru, Ananta das Babaji Maharaha told him to think otherwise?

Since he's presently at Radhakund and listens to the lectures of his guru maharaja some more infos please!

<blockquote>

What does Sri Ananta Das Babaji Maharaja say about

Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Maharaja's mission of sending Srila Prabhupada to preach in the western hemisphere?

</blockquote>

Ananta Das Babaji tells his disciples to be respectfult of other people, most especially people who are devotees and who are chanting the Holy Names, such as devotees within ISKCON or the Gaudiya Math.

Guest guest

Madhava I've been reading your argument with Advaita, clearly he has a grudge against you and Jagat, hurt pride I believe. What I remember is that Advaita first turned on you and Jagat when you guys defended me on your forum from his very rude behavior. He had been writing in a very derogatory manner, going against the board rules. I mentioned this to you and Jagat and you then took action and asked Advaita to follow the rules and take it down a notch. It was at that point when the troika of devas at your ex-forum lost a member because Advaita took that as a sign of betrayal. It was at that point when he began his fault finding campaign against Jagat and you over either misunderstood things Jagat or you wrote, or over ideas such as taking sastra 100% literally all of the time or reading it esoterically at times.

Advaita has been a thorn in your guys side ever since. He is working out his hurt feelings over the loss of what he thought was his troika position with you and Jagat. He saw himself as partners in crime with you two and became arrogant in his treatment of others on your forum. When you reprimanded him he saw that as an insult and never forgave nor forgot. His former esprit de corps was gone and he sought/seeks revenge for what he saw as a humiliating betrayal.

His actions are not his own though. Maybe you can see what he is doing at this point as the will of the Lord for your benefit. If you see the cause rather then the effect, the controller rather then the controlled, then the cause can direct Advaita to make Her/His presence as controller clear to you.

In my last post I made a couple typos so I repost it here again, it tries to underscore the above from the above.

"He can only believe and do what Krishna wills him to do and believe, nothing less and nothing more. So I can't blame him for what he does. It's a learning experience which Sri Radha Krishna puts us through so that we can become better people, closer to Her, closer to our goal. If we can see that the hand of God is always directing and showing us all that we perceive, showing us whatever we experience for the purpose of expanding our hearts, for breaking down the false sense of being able to control that which is beyond our control, then everything we encounter will be something which will reveal God to us, our mind and eyes need to be looking though. Everything we encounter will be inspiring us to go beyond the mental plane and into the transcendental dimension, which is freedom from identification with the mind and freedom from misidentifying the nature of our sensory environment. When we can see all as one and one as all, then we are left with nothing but God all around and within ourselves.

Madhava is an actor on a stage as am I as are you. The director is controlling the play. The purpose of the play is to reveal the director to us, here, now, and always. Be detached from material vision and try to see who is really in control over these words. If you can you will see the true nature of this reality we share. If you can see what is real and what is illusion, then some progress has come from all of this for you. Be conscious of absolute reality in this moment, then keep this moment alive in whatever you experience. Whatever you encounter is all the same ontological reality. It is all God and under God's control. God is here. Now. Directing these words. Everywhere doing the same. All of the time. Understand? If you can see this essential truth, here and now, then you will always be able to see it."

Guest guest

" Your spiritual body is already inside you and you don't NEED to be told about it since knowledge of it will arise naturally when you are at the appropriate stage to meditate on your spiritual body."

This is ridiculous.

How can your spiritual body be inside you???

Is the material covering hiding it?

So the material body is over the spiritual body...what a nonsense!!!

Guest guest

A little thought before posting will help.

The soul is spiritual. It is wat gives life to this material body. It is strnage that you claim that to be nonsense.

In his Govinda Bhasya commentary to Vedanta Sutra 4.4.12, the verse "Dvadasahavadubhayavidham baadarayano'tah", Baladeva Vidyabhusana states:

<blockquote>

the liberated soul, by his own wish, may either have a body or not have a body</blockquote>

The liberated soul may desire to remain in a formless state in the Brahman existence, or instead to manifest a form and approach Bhagavan to serve Bhagavan in devotion.

In his commentary to verse 2.2186 of Sri Brhadbhagavatamrtam, Srila Sanatan Gosvami quotes this verse by Shankaracarya:

<blockquote>

mukta api lilaya vigraham kritva bhagavantam bhajanta

"Even the liberated assume a form and worship the Lord in his pastimes".

</blockquote>

Srila Sanatan Gosvami then quotes Srimad Bhagavatam 6.14.5

<blockquote>

muktanam api siddhanam narayana parayana

"The liberated and perfected souls are engaged in Narayan's service."

</blockquote>

Srila Sanatan Goswami then asks himself:

<blockquote>

If liberated souls didn't have forms then how could they engage in the Lord's service? </blockquote>

The answer he gives to this quesion he has asked himself:

<blockquote>

Bhagavati layam praptasyapi nri dehasya mahamuneh punar narayana rupena pradurbhavah.

"Even those who have merged into the Lord have dormant human forms."

</blockquote>

Guest guest

[Admin5: below is a reposting of Caitanya Nitai dasa's post]

Dear Muralidhar dasa,

Please accept my humble obeisnaces. All glories to Srila Prabhupada, Srila Sridhar Deva Goswami and Srila Govinda Swami.

If you want to make statements about Srila Ananta dasa Babaji Maharaja than you should read his books as well as enquire from him on what he is presenting and teaching. As you well know when we read books we may find faults or misunderstand a point or the context in which something is spoken. I believe if we all did this with one another’s Guru’s there would be so much less fighting in the Vaisnava world.

As someone who has read Srila Ananta dasa Babaji Maharajas books and met him on a few occasions I can tell you that you have him and his teachings very wrong. He is a wonderful Vaisnava and was always kind to me and my Gurudeva regardless of my saffron dress and our faith in Srila Bhaktisiddhanta. Does he share the same faith or philosophical understandings? No, but that isn’t an offense.

If you want to criticize another, especially such a senior Vaisnava, than you must submit your questions to them and understand the context and meanings of their statements to truly be ableto say you understand what they are teaching and profess it to be incorrect. Otherwise you are fighting the same straw men that many of these “traditionalists” fight on regards to Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Prabhupada. Let us not fall to the same traps. Comparing Pitambara to Srila Ananta dasa Babaji Maharaja is obscene.

I do not know Madhavananda dasa so I can’t speak to his ability to properly represent his Gurudeva. However history teaches us that many disciples cannot properly represent their Gurudeva in their lifetime. So many have made a mockers of Srila Prabhupada, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta and even Srila Sridhar Maharaja. I doubt you would want your Gurudeva and others you have faith in ripped down because of the foolishness of many of their followers. I know it pains me every time I see it as I am sure it pains you. To see how others make Srila Prabhupada, Srila Sridhar Maharaja and Sila Narayana Maharaja look like such fools on a regular basis should easily help you understand the dangers of allowing disciples to define how we see others.

Gaura Hari Bolo!

Caitanya Nitai dasa

[moderator's note: prior to closing this thread, this post was accidentally removed in the process of removing another guest's post. So it has been reattached.]