IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

What constitutes an offense?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

After reading many articles on this site, I notice that devotees talk about offenses to each other, to their guru, to their organisation. What constitutes an offense? Is having a different opinion and voicing it an offense? Is it an offense when someones says something you don't like?

Lets say I don't like Iskcon, or I don't like Gaudiya Math, is that an offense? Why is it an offense? Speaking to various devotees I just get confused? I think some devotees don't know what an offense is. Is that offensive?

Guest guest

Good questions! My reply would be:

You can't be offensive if you speak the truth, or inquire about the truth. For how can the truth be offensive??

May be we should also make sure the truth is spoken for someones benifit to get them closer to krishna, not for our own egos, ie pointing out a vaishnavas anarthas might be truthful but is it done in a helpful way or an egoistic way. ie to boost ones self, ones instiutution, religion etc.

I think krishna sees the offensive mentality rather than the words spoken.

Guest guest

I think the offence is against Sri Krsna. Just as one accepts respect or praise on behalf of Krsna knowing that it is Krsna they are actually respecting, we may see aparadha as ultimately disrepect towards Sri Krsna. Do we then not accept any offense as we do not accept any praise?

Of course if one is not connected to Krsna then is this true? But then who is not connected to Krsna? We must respect the worm in the stool also, for is not Caitya-guru Krsna in its heart?.

It is both difficult yet much easier to be a blade of grass, lower than the straw in the street. Is it not?

Guest guest

After reading many articles on this site, I notice that devotees talk about offenses to each other, to their guru, to their organisation. What constitutes an offense? Is having a different opinion and voicing it an offense? Is it an offense when someones says something you don't like?

Lets say I don't like Iskcon, or I don't like Gaudiya Math, is that an offense? Why is it an offense? Speaking to various devotees I just get confused? I think some devotees don't know what an offense is. Is that offensive?

A person who wins an argument with a Hare Krishna devotee is offensive, and his mentality is considered offensive. Or at least, that has been my observation.

It's an unfortunate fact that devotees who are not very scripturally learned and who do not read Srila Prabhupada's books regularly tend to make statements that are not logically defensible. This wouldn't be a problem if they did not insist on preaching and on having their preaching received as if it were authoritative. When an intelligent person detects the problems in the preaching and reasonably expresses his/her doubt, the devotee (whose authority has been challenged) often has little recourse but to accuse the person of being "offensive" to save face.

It seems to me that a more Krishna-conscious approach to the situation would be to become qualified to preach, i.e. by reading the guru's books and being convinced of the teachings. This should be followed by the humility to say "I don't know, that's a good question" when confronted with a doubt we cannot answer.

Guest guest

Bhagavad Gita As It Is, 16.1-3 purport

"Akrodha means to check anger. Even if there is provocation one should be tolerant, for once one becomes angry his whole body becomes polluted. Anger is a product of the mode of passion and lust, so one who is transcendentally situated should check himself from anger. Apaisunam means that one should not find fault with others or correct them unnecessarily. Of course to call a thief a thief is not faultfinding, but to call an honest person a thief is very much offensive for one who is making advancement in spiritual life."

mahak: Straightforwardness is justified if one is correct, but the guise of straightforwardness is suicide if one is incorrect. Because this is Kali Yuga, where everything is incorrect, it may be best to practice silence other than direct Krsna Katha and Harinam Samkirtan.

Offense is active, and we are not held accountable for our thoughts in this age. However, "dwelling" on thoughts is an action, therefore we are accountable for harboring ill feelings for the innocent. Voicing thoughts is horrendous activity that has implications that I will sing about now:

Forget the Fiyeh

c. 1995 mahaksadasa

Words are hurled like rocks on a lake, agitate the waters for awhile

I take what I said back for now, but the waves bounce around for miles

I should only do what Jahmon say, and go about business, turn other cheek

Don't lose real treasure and break my heart by all worldly things I seek

To forget the fiyeh, it burns me

Let it all fade to history

Barking dogs defend the land, angrily showing their teeth

Do I join their kind today, all this anger burning beneath

Or should I do what Jahman say, and always tolerate

All these waves of illusion crashing down, and forget the fiyeh of hate