IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Why no Pews in Vedic Temples?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Is there any religious meaning for sitting on the floor? If so, what is it! Also are there any temples that have pews or benches? If there aren't any, can they be added?

Guest guest

Sitting on the floor is austere. It is also a sign of humility that those that hear are seated below the level of the person that is speaking. Also shows an acceptance of the person who is speaking as authority. It seems that it is an age old practice when acquiring spiritual knowledge. They don't only sit on the floor but in the lotus or padma position.

The padma-asana facilitates relaxation, concentration and ultimately, meditation. The posture creates a natural balance throughout the body/mind. When the knees are stretched enough to remain in the padma-asana without discomfort the posture creates a feeling of effortlessness and ease that will soothe the nervous system, quiet the mind and bring about the condition of one-pointedness.

However many Iskcon temples now provide chairs for the aged or others who prefer to sit on a chair to facilitate their hearing of spiritual subject matters.

It is amazing how unfit our society has become due to the largely sedentry life we live. Many muscles in our bodies are no longer flexible. Hence very few can thesedays maintain a lotus position.

You are most welcome to request a chair at the temple that you visit. Normally there are no hard and fast rules that would oblige you to sit on the floor. Accept a chair if it is favourable to your developement of Krsna Consciousness.

Guest guest

Sitting on the floor comes from Indian culture. It has little religious significance.

I experience back ache and sore knees when sitting Indian style. I have seen elderly Indians sitting on a seat during classes in India.

Pews are christian and we don't need them. There's enough dilution of our faith from those wanting to mix two religions.....

Guest guest

If theirs no religious signifigance, then can seats be added as a common feature in western vedic temples?

I can't vouch for all the temples but most of the ones I have been in have chairs. You can choose to sit on a chair or on the floor.

The Utah temple has lots of chairs lined up against the walls and most people use them while few sit on the floor.

But to put in "pews" would be an inconvienance. Kirtans and offering spontaneous obeisances would be stifled.

Guest guest

Pews are christian and we don't need them. There's enough dilution of our faith from those wanting to mix two religions.....

Such a stupid comment. Now you are of the non-pew faith? LOL

Pews get in the way of dancing in kirtan.

Re: No pews! [re: Guest]

12/19/05 05:08 PM Edit Reply

I can vouch for all the temples but most of the ones I have been in have chairs. You can choose to sit on a chair or on the floor.

The Utah temple has lots of chairs lined up against the walls and most people use them while few sit on the floor.

But to put in "pews" would be an inconvienance. Kirtans and offering spontaneous obeisances would be stifled.

mikey

Pews are surely ok for older guests who never practiced asanas throughout their lives. And come to the temple to hear Krishna-katha. Young folks who simply use pews for fun should be disciplined. When visiting a temple for the first time a mataji told me, only animals use spoon, knife and fork for eating, humans should eat with their fingers - and I was convinced immediately. However, take NV, 20 tourist busses every day and such visitors being told to use their hands for eating - bad preaching.

Congratulation for 164 posts Mikey! /images/graemlins/smile.gif