IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

Sri Caitanya Caritamrta (New One Volume Edition)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Yes, it is Srila Prabhupada's translation...with bengali text, english translations, purports, and lots of color pics. At $70 USD its a bargain, and I would happily pay 10x more for it.

The thing is and this is what always gets to me, is I came to KC with 2nd edition Bhagavad-gita As It Is, and I became devotee of Krishna thru this book. [its my varta-pradaaka what do u call it guru hehe]. So I'm baffled how it cannot be in-line with what Prabhupada wanted, and those changes are sort of clarifed, but I am scared that they might keep on doing it, like 3rd edition Gita etc. I think out of respect for Prabhupada and Vaishnavas, we should leave them as it is. They perfect already why tamper with them? Unless your Pure Uttama-adhikari then maybe you can edit them, cause you have seen the truth etc. But when Guru is no longer present, in body to personally guide madhava-adhikari devotees, esp regarding books. Then I feel it's best we don't start speculating about what Guru wanted, by some letter written years ago to some devotee, which we have no information about, take it out of context and make a mockery out of it all. I'm pesonally sick of it all, and wish we could just have all ORIGINAL Books, Guru-vani. That's why i listen to lectures in Mp3 or wma [www.winsite.com trype krishna in search, dl all SO lectures if u have broadband]. ANyway not to go on and on, the only book i truely ever relished was The Teachings of Lord Chaitanya and perfect questions perfect answers [read in me attic all-alone no dissturbances, bliss]. Harib!OL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first of each quote is the original and the second is the edited. the comments done about the changes is by Das devi dasi.

Original Cc Adi Lila Chapter 5, Text 78

Text 78

yadyapi kahiye tanre krsnera 'kala' kari

matsya-kurmady-avatarera tinho avatari

SYNONYMS

yadyapi-although; kahiye-I say; tanre-to Him; krsnera-of Lord Krsna; kala-part of the part; kari-making; matsya-the fish incarnation; kurma-adi-the tortoise incarnation and others; avatarera-of all these incarnations; tinho- He; avatari-the original source.

TRANSLATION

Although Ksirodakasayi Visnu is called a kala of Lord Krsna, He is the source of Matsya, Kurma and the other incarnations.

Revised Cc Adi Lila Chapter 5, Text 78

TEXT 78

yadyapi kahiye tanre krsnera 'kala' kari

matsya-kurmady-avatarera tinho avatari

SYNONYMS

yadyapi-although; kahiye-I say; tanre-to Him; krsnera-of Lord Krsna; kala-part of the part; kari-making; matsya-the fish incarnation; kurma-adi-the tortoise incarnation and others; avatarera-of all these incarnations; tinho- He; avatari-the original source.

TRANSLATION

Although Karanodakasayi Visnu is called a kala of Lord Krsna, He is the source of Matsya, Kurma and the other incarnations.

[Who is correct? Srila Prabhupada or Jayadvaita? Read Srila Prabhupada's purport to Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.3.2 and 1.3.5 and decide for yourself. But maybe first you'd better verify that the Srimad-Bhagavatam you're reading is the original, unrevised edition.]

Original Cc Adi Lila Chapter 5, Text 80

TEXT 80

sei purusa srsti-sthiti-pralayera karta

nana avatara kare, jagatera bharta

SYNONYMS

sei-that; purusa-the Personality of Godhead; srsti-sthiti-pralayera-

of creation, maintenance and annihilation; karta-creator; nana-various; avatara-incarnations; kare-makes; jagatera-of the material world; bharta-maintainer.

TRANSLATION

That purusa [Ksirodakasayi Visnu] is the performer of creation, maintenance and destruction. He manifests Himself in many incarnations, for He is the maintainer of the world.

Revised Cc Adi Lila Chapter 5, Text 80

TEXT 80

sei purusa srsti-sthiti-pralayera karta

nana avatara kare, jagatera bharta

SYNONYMS

sei-that; purusa-the Personality of Godhead; srsti-sthiti-pralayera- of creation, maintenance and annihilation; karta-creator; nana-various; avatara-incarnations; kare-makes; jagatera-of the material world; bharta-maintainer.

TRANSLATION

That purusa [Karanodakasayi Visnu] is the performer of creation, maintenance and destruction. He manifests Himself in many incarnations, for He is the maintainer of the world.

[see note above.]

Original Cc Madhya Lila Chapter 22, Text 43

TEXT

samsara bhramite kona bhagye keha tare

nadira pravahe yena kastha lage tire

SYNONYMS

samsara bhramite-wandering throughout the universe; kona bhagye-by some good fortune; keha tare-someone crosses the ocean of nescience; nadira pravahe-in the flow of the river; yena-just as; kastha-wood; lage-sticks; tire-on the bank.

TRANSLATION

There are unlimited conditioned souls who are bereft of Lord Krsna's service. Not knowing how to cross the ocean of nescience, they are scattered by waves, time and tide. However, some are fortunate to contact devotees and by this contact they are delivered from the ocean of nescience, just as a log floating down a river accidentally washes upon the bank.

[No purport given]

Revised Cc Madhya Lila Chapter 22, Text 43

TEXT 43

samsara bhramite kona bhagye keha tare

nadira pravahe yena kastha lage tire

SYNONYMS

samsara bhramite-wandering throughout the universe; kona bhagye -by some good fortune; keha tare-someone crosses the ocean of nescience; nadira pravahe-in the flow of the river; yena-just as; kastha-wood; lage-sticks; tire-on the bank.

TRANSLATION

The conditioned souls are wandering throughout the different planets of the universe, entering various species of life. By good fortune one of these souls may somehow or other be delivered from the ocean of nescience, just as one of the many big logs in a river may by chance reach the bank.

PURPORT

There are unlimited conditioned souls who are bereft of Lord Krsna's service. Not knowing how to cross the ocean of nescience, they are scattered by the waves of time and tide. However, some are fortunate to contact devotees, and by this contact they are delivered from the ocean of nescience, just as a log floating down a river accidentally washes upon the bank.

[in this instance, Srila Prabhupada's original translation has become a purport, and Jayadvaita has come up with his own translation.]

Original Cc Madhya Lila Chapter 19, purport to Text 152

Bhakti-lata-bija can be received only through the mercy of the spiritual master. Therefore one has to satisfy the spiritual master to get bhakti-lata-bija (yasya prasadad bhagavat-prasadah). Bhakti-lata-bija is the origin of devotional service. Unless one satisfies the spiritual master, he gets the bija, or root cause, of karma, jnana and yoga without the benefit of devotional service. However one who is faithful to his spiritual master gets the bhakti-lata-bija. This bhakti-lata-bija is received when one is initiated by the bona fide spiritual master. After receiving the spiritual master's mercy, one must repeat his instructions, and this is called sravana-kirtana—hearing and chanting. One who has not properly heard from the spiritual master or who does not follow the regulative principles is not fit for chanting (kirtana). This is explained in Bhagavad-gita (2.41): vyavasayatmika buddhir ekeha kuru-nandana. One who has not listened carefully to the instructions of the spiritual master is unfit to chant or preach the cult of devotional service. One has to water the bhakti-lata-bija after receiving instructions from the spiritual master.

Revised Cc Madhya Lila Chapter 19, purport to Text 152

The bhakti-lata-bija can be received only through the mercy of the spiritual master. Therefore one has to satisfy the spiritual master to get the bhakti-lata-bija (yasya prasadad bhagavat-prasadah). The bhakti-lata-bija is the origin of devotional service. Unless one satisfies the spiritual master, he gets the bija, or root cause, of karma, jnana and yoga without the benefit of devotional service. But one who is faithful to his spiritual master gets the bhakti-lata-bija. This bhakti-lata-bija is received when one is initiated by the bona fide spiritual master. After receiving the spiritual master's mercy, one must repeat his instructions, and this is called sravana-kirtana—hearing and chanting. One who has not properly heard from the spiritual master or who does not follow the regulative principles is not fit for chanting (kirtana). This is explained in the Bhagavad-gita (2.41): vyavasayatmika buddhir ekeha kuru-nandana. One who has not listened carefully to the instructions of the spiritual master is unfit for chanting or for preaching the cult of devotional service. One has to water the bhakti-lata-bija by receiving instructions from the spiritual master.

[interesting how the single word by can change the meaning of a purport.]

Original Cc Madhya Lila Chapter 19, purport to Text 157

If one thinks that there are many pseudo devotees or nondevotees in the Krsna Consciousness Society, one can keep direct company with the spiritual master, and if there is any doubt, one should consult the spiritual master. However, unless one follows the spiritual master's instructions and the regulative principles governing chanting and hearing the holy name of the Lord, one cannot become a pure devotee. Revised Cc Madhya Lila Chapter 19, purport to Text 157

Even if one thinks that there are many pseudo devotees or nondevotees in the Krsna Consciousness Society, still one should stick to the Society; if one thinks the Society members are not pure devotees, one can keep direct company with the spiritual master, and if there is any doubt, one should consult the spiritual master. However, unless one follows the spiritual master's instructions concerning the regulative principles and chanting and hearing the holy name of the Lord, one cannot become a pure devotee.

[in this one paragraph there are 2 significant changes to the original text on the left. Firstly, Jayadvaita has inserted "still one should stick to the Society". Srila Prabhupada has not said this at all. Secondly, Srila Prabhupada stresses the importance of following the spiritual master's instructions and the regulative principles that govern chanting and hearing the holy name of the Lord. What are those principles governing chanting and hearing? Again, Jayadvaita changes the meaning, saying that one must follow the spiritual master's instructions concerning the regulative principles (readers will assume he's referring to the 4 regs) and chanting and hearing the holy name of the Lord.]

I think we think devotees changed the books to change the meanings deliberalty, but i think thats not the case at all, it's actually because they are NOT qualified to change. Therefore the meaning comes out different. That's my opinion going on the fact, with what I said above already, but like for me. I don't even notice these changes. [except maybe when you don't improve my character cause I am reading changed version of pure devotees books, which maybe considered offensive to Sri Guru. So the books maybe contaminated? But that's what some are saying, no need to bounce around the subject, but AS IT IS Gita 2nd edition, i read this and became a devotees. SO can go on speculating forever. Just change all the books back and be done with the subject forever!!!!!!!!!!! Now chanting...

Guest guest

This is very telling. I can't trust these people.

Original Cc Madhya Lila Chapter 19, purport to Text 157

If one thinks that there are many pseudo devotees or nondevotees in the Krsna Consciousness Society, one can keep direct company with the spiritual master, and if there is any doubt, one should consult the spiritual master. However, unless one follows the spiritual master's instructions and the regulative principles governing chanting and hearing the holy name of the Lord, one cannot become a pure devotee.

Revised Cc Madhya Lila Chapter 19, purport to Text 157

Even if one thinks that there are many pseudo devotees or nondevotees in the Krsna Consciousness Society, still one should stick to the Society; if one thinks the Society members are not pure devotees, one can keep direct company with the spiritual master, and if there is any doubt, one should consult the spiritual master. However, unless one follows the spiritual master's instructions concerning the regulative principles and chanting and hearing the holy name of the Lord, one cannot become a pure devotee.

[in this one paragraph there are 2 significant changes to the original text on the left. Firstly, Jayadvaita has inserted "still one should stick to the Society". Srila Prabhupada has not said this at all. Secondly, Srila Prabhupada stresses the importance of following the spiritual master's instructions and the regulative principles that govern chanting and hearing the holy name of the Lord. What are those principles governing chanting and hearing? Again, Jayadvaita changes the meaning, saying that one must follow the spiritual master's instructions concerning the regulative principles (readers will assume he's referring to the 4 regs) and chanting and hearing the holy name of the Lord.]

Guest guest

Srila Sridhar Dev Goswami Maharaj's translation to Bhagavad gita 1.10:

10) Our army, headed by Bhisma, is inadequate, whereas the army of the Pandavas, protected

by Bhima, is competent.

Srila A.C.Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada:

10) Our strength is immeasurable, and we are perfectly protected by Grandfather Bhisma, whereas the strength of the Pandavas, carefully protected by Bhima, is limited.

Guest guest

Gandhi's translation:

10. This our force, commanded by Bhishma, is all too inadequate; while theirs, commanded by Bhima, is quite adequate.

Sir Edwin Arnold:

Weak, me sees, Our battleplan shows, where Bhishma holds command,

And Bhima, fronting him, is something too strong!

Sanderson Beck

Inadequate is that force of ours guarded by Bhishma,

but adequate is this force of theirs guarded by Bhima.

Swami Tapasyananda

10. Though numerically superior, inadequate is the army of ours defended by Bhishma,

while theirs guarded by Bhima is adequate.

Guest guest

Srila Prabhupada says Duryodhana was thinking his army's strength is immeasurable.

Sridhara Maharaja and the other translators all say Duryodhana was thinking that his army is inadequate.

Guest guest

Those corrections seem appropriate and are very likely closer to Srila Prabhupada's intent. It is not Prabhupada who is being corrected. It is the people who transformed Prabhupada's words into print who are being corrected. Prabhupada himself noted errors in some editions that he wanted corrected, so clearly he did not accept the infallibilty of the process of producing books from his words.

Most of them far as i know haven't been said why they changed it. You make a good point though, Prabhupada did spot some errors, so I guess they changing some of those. That shouldn't be a problem. But it does seem that most changes are not done in this way. Really though would we rather have them with errors, though it seems most errors would just bounce off us all, plus it says errors by devotees who are pure are really good. !

Guest guest

.... we often find that change critics end up arguing against Prabhupada's actual dictated lotus words. That should have silenced and humbled them long ago.

Isopanishad was changed 5 times. But i feel its in-line with what Prabhupaa wanted, but devotees still prefer the old Isopanisad, this is some kind of Maya trick. I am sure. Don't want current Iso? Look for old Iso like hell on earth, find it and relish the hell out of it. Dandavast to iSO.

Guest guest

That's the stuff that always freaks me out about the Krishna Consciousness Movement. I can appreciate the literature and the sincere effort on the part of Prabhupada and his disciples to enlighten the world but I am not comfortable with the idea that you have to surrender your thoughts "to the society" and stuff like that. I realize I am a demon and I don't mean to be critical just telling you the truth of how that kind of stuff comes across to me.

Hari Bol!

There are spelling edits and grammar edits – then there are revisions.

I have the 1972 McMillan Gita [the one I became a devotee from] and I have the new Gita and - I think the original is naturally much better.

When we open the door to this sort of ‘revisionism’ - where does it stop?

These ‘imperfect’ books were good enough to bring millions to Krishna!

However - today they are viewed as ‘politically incorrect’ [by some] - as they present many points that outsiders may misunderstand – thus - in a for-certain frenzy it seems that there are those in the movement that are busy editing these points – and - it really isn’t a panacea for that type of problem [where they fear the state] – these people who are editing aught to consider that.

Also what if in the future someone decides that the last editor was off somehow and then they decide to edit the books for the next printing – and then again after that – do we see how this could become very bad after 100+ years?

How can ‘His Books’ be the - ‘Law Books for mankind for the next 10,000 years’ - under this scenario?

I mention again about revisions of the Bhagavad Gita – well that Gita - just doesn’t read the same – it doesn’t have the same ‘rasa’ or ‘mellow’. For one who has never seen the other version – they would not know.

I am open minded and I think that if people wish to limit the message in His Books - they can do it - either by preaching the co-called corrections or - they should write their own books based on Srila Prabhupada’s Books.

I mean no offense to anyone in this opinion….

BDM

After 60 years copyright laws for books are waived, or 30 years I cannot remember. Then any Matha is free to print the books, most mathas don't like this editing either, so i doubt the originals will be lost. Ironically the Ritvik 'Matha's will print the Originals, so least they doing something good.

Guest guest

That's the stuff that always freaks me out about the Krishna Consciousness Movement. I can appreciate the literature and the sincere effort on the part of Prabhupada and his disciples to enlighten the world but I am not comfortable with the idea that you have to surrender your thoughts "to the society" and stuff like that. I realize I am a demon and I don't mean to be critical just telling you the truth of how that kind of stuff comes across to me.

The source of that doubt is the Lord Himself who resides in your heart. You must have a sincere desire to find the truth so He is protecting you.

We are not to surrender our thoughts "to the society". We are to surrender our thoughts feelings and actions in love to Krishna.

Societies are meant to help us in the endeavor not replace Krishna.

Never let your guard down. Question question and question some more.

There is an art to proper questioning and that is what most of us are in need of learning. Humble sincere questioning of the Lord Himself and His devotee. Most of us are still stuck on the humble part but hey...we are learning.