IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Avinash

Difference between humans and animals

Rate this topic

Humans override instinct because they plan for future. As you have mentioned, animals do not have the ability to override instinct. Does it mean that animals do not have the ability to plan for future?

Guest guest

Right and wrong are products of culture. Many things that are considered crimes today were legitimate in the past. The ability to think beyond basic survival needs is what sets man apart from the rest of the animals.

Chimps on genome comparison are found to have similar genetic makeup as man (99.2%). They also have opposable thumbs, but yet surprisngly when it comes to thinking ability, man is way ahead.

Cheers

Chimps on genome comparison are found to have similar genetic makeup as man (99.2%)

Just for your info, this stat is so badly misused that i ahve to say something every time i see it. It usually ranges from 90% - 99% depending on the way you do the maths. Homology studies are very dubious since there are only 4 nucleotide bases to discriminate from and the fact that a single base change can mean the difference between life/death/physical form etc., a simple number becomes pretty meaningless (see homologies between some plant and bacterial genomes vs. human genomes, for example).

Anyway, back to the topic - you're right, cultural background definately defines (at least to some extent) a sense of right and wrong. However, my intuition tells me that there is an innate sense of right and wrong also, perhaps some might define that as instinct?

Guest guest

possess the power to reason. Animals lack reasoning.

Other than that, animals are superior to humans if humans simply engage in the four acts that animals do too.

Guest guest

Thank's to prabhupada we have that very question answered from srimad bhagavatam and bhagavad gita, the difference is humans can understand what is the supreme personality of godhead and make inquiry into that absolute truth (krishna) but the ignorant animal cannot and that is "AS IT IS"

P.S I could write some sloka's from the above but i'll let you inquire and do your own research as a human.

http://www.srimadbhagavatam.org/

Jaya Srila Prabhupada!!!!!!!