IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Yesu_Bhaktan

Titile or name

Rate this topic

The simultaneous occurrence of the Lord's appearance and the lunar eclipse indicated the distinctive mission of the Lord. This mission was to preach the importance of chanting the holy names of the Lord in this age of Kali (quarrel). In this present age quarrels take place even over trifles, and therefore the sastras have recommended for this age a common platform for realization, namely chanting the holy names of the Lord. People can hold meetings to glorify the Lord in their respective languages and with melodious songs, and if such performances are executed in an offenseless manner, it is certain that the participants will gradually attain spiritual perfection without having to undergo more rigorous methods. At such meetings everyone, the learned and the foolish, the rich and the poor, the Hindus and the Muslims, the Englishmen and the Indians, and the candalas and the brahmanas, can all hear the transcendental sounds and thus cleanse the dust of material association from the mirror of the heart. To confirm the Lord's mission, all the people of the world will accept the holy name of the Lord as the common platform for the universal religion of mankind. In other words, the advent of the holy name took place along with the advent of Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu.

Guest guest

It is not for me to say which name is superior to whatever name.

<hr>

Exactly, because a definite statement about this has already been given by Siva. And Sri Jiva Goswami (see the quotes on the previous page).

Krishna's name is not just superior, it is supreme.

tad viddhi pranipatena

pariprasnena sevaya

upadeksyanti te jnanam

jnaninas tattva-darsinah

You need to follow this instruction.

I did, in 1976

I hope you followed those instructions because following them is the real meaning to acceptance. One should not neglect the internal changes that are meant to accompany the practice. I am sure you haven't but many do.

Rather you have or have not though is your business. But I would suggest you not wear in on your chest like a badge of "authority" of some kind. It is meant for the deeper layers lying underneath.

Yes that's fine. But Lord Caitanya said the Lord has invested His transcendental potencies into His hundreds and millions of names. All I am saying is that it is not for me to try to say which of them is more or less potent than any other. I guess I will leave that up to many folks here.

I came across this in the Foliobase.

When the Mayavadis pretend to perform kirtana or hold discourses on the Bhagavatam for personal name and fame, they may sing and talk about Brahman, Caitanya, and Paramatma, but they cannot utter Lord Krishna’s name. Although the words sri bhagavan uvaca (“the Supreme Personality of Godhead said”) appear throughout the Bhagavad-gita, the Mayavadis are prepared to say everything else except the name of Krishna. It is a well known scriptural truth that the words Brahman and Paramatma refer ultimately to Lord Krishna and that Krishna is the principle name of the Supreme Absolute Person. But even when the Mayavadis chant such names of God as Krishna, Govinda, or Hari, they do so not with the understanding and faith that these names are God’s principal names and that they are nondifferent from the Supreme Lord, but rather with the idea that chanting them is a temporary means of sadhana, or spiritual practice. They also do not admit that such chanting of the holy name is an offence. Of course, their biggest offence is to distinguish between Lord Krishna and His form. Thus in the Gita (9.11), Lord Krishna Himself condemns these offenders:

avajananti mam mudha

manushim tanum asritam

param bhavam ajananto

mama bhuta-mahesvaram

Fools deride Me when I descend in the human form. They do not know My transcendental nature as the Supreme Lord of all that be.

Renunciation Through Wisdom Translated by Sarvabhavana dasa, Translated from Srila Prabhupada Bengali writing.

--

You have to look at it from both angles. Siksastakam says many names, and this says Krishna is the Principle name.

Guest guest

The Hare Krishna Mahamantra...

Initiation into the mantra means to impart real knowledge and devotional sentiment from one to another. And that must be genuine. Nothing can be known about a homeopathic globule by an outer physical inspection, but the potency is within. So also within the mantra the important thing is the type of thought or sentiment which is imparted through that sound. The impersonalists have got the same mantra, and are also chanting the holy name of Krsna, but that sort of name will vanish in the brahmajyoti. They won't be able to cross the Viraja, the river between the material and spiritual worlds. When a mayavadi chants the name of Krsna, Bhaktivinoda Thakura says that his chanting of the name of Krsna is just like thunder to the holy body of Krsna. It does not produce any soothing effect.

- Srila Bhakti Rakshak Sridhar Dev Goswami Maharaj

The idea is that when we chant the holy name of God—just like "Krishna"—Krishna is present there. As soon as you chant God's name... Not necessarily that he will have to chant the name Krishna... Any other name which you know that it is God's name, you can chant it. God has got many names, and they can be chanted by different languages in different countries. The effect is the same. Practically, God has no name, but His name is given according to His activities. Just like we are chanting God's name "Krishna." Krishna means "all-attractive." So God is all-attractive.