IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

They separated Themselves eternally

Rate this topic

CC Adi 1.5: The loving affairs of Sri Radha and Krsna are transcendental manifestations of the Lord's internal pleasure-giving potency. Although Radha and Krsna are one in Their identity, They separated Themselves eternally. Now these two transcendental identities have again united, in the form of Sri Krsna Caitanya. I bow down to Him, who has manifested Himself with the sentiment and complexion of Srimati Radharani although He is Krsna Himself.

--

Gauranga!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guest guest

No. They are one identity. God. God has separated into two personas eternally. Those two personas have combined into one persona as Sri Caitanya. Radha and Krishna are still eternally having pastimes as Radha Krishna. Sri Caitanya is in the mood of Radha, therefore since he is in a male body this is considered to be a uniting of Radha Krishna into one persona. The philosophy behind this is that Krishna desires to experience the ecstacy that Radha experiences because she is feeling bliss millions of times greater then Krishna. So Sri Caitanya is Krishna taking on the mood of Radha in order to experience that bliss. Since Radha and Krishna are identical one could ask why would Krishna not know what Radha experiences since in essence He is Radha? The reply would be that the explanation of the reason for Krishna wanting to taste what Radha tastes i.e the taking on the form of Sri Caitanya in order to fullfill that desire; has a deeply symbolic and metaphoric import.

The basic message is that Radha is the supreme enjoyer.

CC Adi 4.133: I taste the bliss to which the object of love is entitled. But the pleasure of Radha, the abode of that love, is ten million times greater.

CC Adi 4.134: My mind races to taste the pleasure experienced by the abode, but I cannot taste it, even by My best efforts. How may I taste it?

CC Adi 4.135: If sometime I can be the abode of that love, only then may I taste its joy.

CC Adi 4.136: Thinking in this way, Lord Krishna was curious to taste that love. His eager desire for that love increasingly blazed in His heart.

From the intro to Teachings of Lord Caitanya by A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami:

Radha and Krsna are one, and when Krsna desires to enjoy pleasure, He manifests Himself as Radharani. The spiritual exchange of love between Radha and Krsna is the actual display of the internal pleasure potency of Krsna (Radha's display). Although we speak of "when" Krsna desires, just when He did desire we cannot say. We only speak in this way because in conditional life we take it that everything has a beginning; however, in the absolute or spiritual life there is neither beginning nor end. Yet in order to understand that Radha and Krsna are one and that They also become divided, the question "When?" automatically comes to mind. When Krsna desired to enjoy His pleasure potency, He manifested HIMSELF in the separate form of Radharani.

This is from Raghava Goswami's Sri Krsna-bhakti-ratna-prakasa:

O Balarama, please listen and I will tell You something. One day, taking My flute, My heart full of bliss and My form bending in three places, I went under a kadamba tree and, seeing My own form reflected in a splendid golden platform studded with jewels, I became enchanted. At that moment My heart became filled with the sweet happiness known as conjugal love, which charms the entire world. My heart now desires to become a woman. I yearn to enjoy Myself as a woman.

As the Lord thought in this way, His heart approached itself. From the sweetness of His heart came bliss and from the bliss came Himself, manifested in a second form, a female form of transcendental bliss that could experience the direct perception of Himself.

At that time a goddess, whose form was nectar, whose fair complexion was like a host of lightning flashes, and who was decorated with glittering ornaments, appeared from the Lord's left side. She is known as Radha, who is half of Krsna's body, and who is the mistress of all potencies.

From an A.C.Bhaktivedanta Swami lecture:

radha-purna-sakti, krsna-purna-saktiman

dui vastu bheda nai, sastra-paramana

radha-krsna aiche sadaeka-i svarupa

lila-rasa asvadite dhare dui-rupa

(Caitanya-caritamrta Adi 4.96,98)

There is no difference between the energy and the energetic, sakti-saktiman abhina. Therefore there is no difference between Radha and Krsna. Radha is purna-sakti and Krsna is purna-saktiman, so there is no difference, but, lila-rasa asvadite dhare dui-rupa, to relish the mellow of pastimes two bodies are there, Radha and Krsna, otherwise they are one. So in Vraja-lila there are two bodies, Radha and Krsna, visaya and asraya. But in the form of Gauranga They are one. Radha and Krsna combined together. Krsna assuming the mood and complexion of Radharani appears and that is Gauranga. This is the tattva, and that is a very deep and confidential tattva

Bhakti-naipunya: The Last Limit of Bhakti

--

[ A Lecture by Srila Gour Govinda Swami Maharaja ]

In the Adi-lila, Tenth Chapter of Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Srila Kaviraja Gosvami has given a description of the many expansions of the Caitanya tree, the branches and the sub-branches. So all these very dear, intimate devotees of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu they know Gauranga Mahaprabhu and they know Krishna. It is given in the Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika how most of them were in Krishna-lila, Vraja-lila. Most of them were sakhis, manjaris and some were in sakhya-rasa, friendship, like this Abhirama. They have all taken part in both krishna-lila and Gaura-lila. They are the associates of Krishna and the associates of Gaura, because there is no difference between Gaura and Krishna. Is there any difference? No. Krishna is Gaura and Gaura is Krishna, so Krishna-lila is Gaura-lila and Gaura-1ila is Krishna-lila. In tattva they are the same. But... only one difference is there. In Gaura the two bodies of Radha and Krishna are combined together, that is the only thing, nothing else.

<font color="blue">radha-purna-sakti, -krishna-purna-saktiman

dui vastu bheda nai, sastra-paramana

radha-krishna aiche sada eka-i svarupa

lila-rasa asvadite dhare dui-rupa

(Caitanya-caritamrita Adi 4 .96,98)

There is no difference between the energy and the energetic , shakti-shaktiman abhina. Therefore there is no difference between Radha and Krishna. Radha is purna-shakti and Krishna is purna-shaktiman, so there is no difference, but, lila-rasa asvadite dhare dui-rupa, to relish the mellow of pastimes two bodies are there, Radha and Krishna, otherwise they are one. </font color>

So in Vraja-lila there are two bodies, Radha and Krishna, Vishaya and Ashraya. But in the form of Gauranga They are one. Radha and Krishna combined together. Krishna assuming the mood and complexion of Radharani appears and that is Gauranga. This is the tattva, and that is a very deep and confidential tattva. Narahari Sarkara has said:

caitanya bhakti-naipunya

krishnas tu bhagavan svayam

tayo prakasa dekatra

krishna-caitanya ucyate

Caitanya is Krishna and Krishna is Caitanya, there is no difference, but in Caitanya one thing is added that is bhakti-naipunya. When Krishna comes assuming the mood of a bhakta, He is Caitanya. But without the mood of a bhakta that is Krishna. So Caitanya means, caitanya bhakti-naipunya.

Krishna is the Absolute Truth, advaya-jnana-tattva, the Supreme Truth, parama tattva. And so is Caitanya , also advaya-tattva but one addition is there, that is bhakti naipunya, 'The last limit of bhakti, ' prema-bhakti. If prema bhakti is added to Krishna that is Caitanya. Therefore sacinandana Gauranga is the Supreme Absolute Truth, parama tattva, Bhagavan but with bhakti-naipunya added to it. That is Gauranga and in the Gauranga form you will find two things combined together. What are those? Sambhoga and vipralambha. These two things combined together that is Gauranga. And that is bhakti-naipunya, 'The last limit of bhakti.

Transcendental Flow

So the sadhya, the end that is prema and that is bhakti naipunya, it means prema-bhakti. If that prema-bhakti is added to Krishna, that is Gauranga, nothing else. And in that Gauranga form you will find these two opposite things placed together. That sambhoga and vipralambha, we say, viruddhita, opposite things placed together. This you will only find in the combined form of Radha and Krishna, that is Gauranga. Otherwise you will never find it anywhere else, it is only in Gauranga. But in Vraja, will you find these two things combined? No, not possible at all, because in Vraja-lila two bodies are there, Krsria and Radha. And in Vraja-lila, the flow of that Lila is like the flow of a river. As a river has two embankments, similarly the flow of Vraja-lila has two embankments, that is sambhoga and vipralambha. The embankment of union and the embankment of separation, try to understand. So on the embankment of union both Radha and Krishna relish the mellow of union. On the embankment of separation both Radha and Krishna relish the mellow of separation. It is mentioned in the Ujjvala-nilamani that on the embankment of separation the relishment of this mellow, viraha-rasa, that is of four types. Purva-raga, mana, prema-vaicchitya and pravnsa, these specific words. Just hear it, when you will get to read or hear Ujjvala-nilamani you can see that Rupapada has given elaborate explanations. So four types of relishment are there, and similarly on the embankment of union there are also four types of relishment. That is samhksipa, sankirna, sampanya and samriddhimana. This Caitanya-caritamrta is the postgraduate study so everything will come up; Ujjvala- nilamani, Vidagdhamadhava, Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu, all these books will come up.

So samksipa, sankirna, sampanya and samriddhimana this is on the embankment of union and it has connection with the other embankment. First comes samksipa that is relished after the first type of that in viraha-tattva, that is purva-raga. First viraha and then milana, sambhoga and similarly sankirna is relished after mana-viraha. Then sampanya is relished after prema-vaicchitya-viraha. And samriddhimana is relished after pravasa-viraha. This is just to have an idea of the four types of relishment on each embankment. These are two opposite things, sambhoga and vipralambha, union and separation. And these two are required otherwise there will be no question of the flow of these transcendental loving conjugal pastimes. They are always there, and they are required otherwise if these two were not there how will there be flow, how will there be movement.

Two Opposites in One Container

You have two legs, a right leg and a left leg and then you are moving as the bird has two wings, right wing and left wing and flies. So similarly two are there sambhoga and vipralambha, two embankments so the flow of lila in Vraja is there.

Another thing is there. On the embankment of sambhoga there is sukha, happiness. Union means happiness. On the embankment of vipralambha, viraha, there is accute pain, the pangs of separation. Intense heat is there and vilapa, crying is also there. And these two separate things are eternally there in Vraja. But they are not in one container, they are on two separate embankments. But in Navadvipa-lila or Gaura-lila these two are contained in one pot. Union and separation. Because Gaura is the combination, union of Radha and Krishna and He also at the same time accepts vipralambha bhava, feeling the pangs of separation from Krishna. Two opposites are in one container, this is the tattva here.

Ashraya and Vishaya. Krishna is the Vishaya and Radha is the Ashraya and in Vraja They are eternally Vishaya and Ashraya, thus the flow of lila is going on. But in Gaura, Ashraya and Vishaya are combined together. Two opposites, union and separation combined in one container, and this is the tattva. In one container, ekadi karana, two opposites together it is abicintya, inconceivable. We cannot conceive of it.

Vraja-vilasa

But one question is there. In Vraja-lila these union and separation cannot be placed together, they are separately taking place, not together. But in Gaura-lila you will find it together, two opposites are there. This is wonderful and very mysterious, but Rupapada says,

"It is not a fact that in Vraja-vilasa these two are never placed together. It is there, but not always and not everywhere. In some special cases for a fleeting moment, a very temporary period, it is there." Rupapada has given that and such devotees they relish it.Rupa Gosvami has given this thing in the Vidagdha madhava and the Lalita-madhava dramas. It is prema vaicchitya, that means one feels the separation in union. If one feels separation in union that becomes prema vaicchitya, and you will find this prema-vaicchitya in Vidagdha-madhava and Lalita-madhava. These two opposites are there, union is there and the feeling of separation is also there, for a very short moment.

The Bumblebee

I am giving one example from the Vidagdha-madhava.

On the embankment of the Yamuna both Radha and Govinda are there and they are playing, on the bank of the Yamuna. Then Vrindadevi came with two lotuses in her hands to decorate Radharani's ears. So Vrindadevi came with these two ornaments for the ears and gave them to Krishna. Krishna took them with much pleasure, with a smiling face and He was going to put them on the two ears of Radharani. At that time it was noticed that, pundarika kose canchorika vartate. This is the language of Rupapada in that drama Vidagdha-madhava. A black bumblebee was there in the whirl of the lotus. Then when Krishna was going to put these two lotuses on the two ears of Radharani, Radharani noticed this thing. Then Radharani said,

"Hey bumblebee, get out!"

Then that bumblebee coming out of the lotus, thinking the face of Radharani to be another lotus, went there.

Radharani says, "Hey get out, get out! "moving Her hand. Then the bumblebee thinks as another lotus the palm of Radharani's hand, and Radharani says, "This stupid bumblebee, shameless debauchee is not going away Get out, get out!

With the corner of Her sari She tries to drive him out. And Radharani is also frightened that it is not going away. At that time Madhumangala came and drove him out with a stick to a far distance.

Then he came back and said, " ma hu su ana."

Madhumangala said it in this specific language. Unless you understand this language you cannot taste it.

'Madhusudhana' means what? 'Madhusudhana' has two meanings. One meaning is bumblebee and the other meaning is Krishna. And so what Madhumangala said means bumblebee, but Radharani understood it as Krishna. Try to follow the language, this is a wonderful thing, otherwise you cannot relish it.You cannot relish it unless you understand this language.

"Ma hu su ana/madhusudhana,' tira hade, has disappeared."

So Madhumangala points out the bumblebee, "That bumblebee has gone."

But what Radharani understood is that Krishna has gone. Madhusadhana means Krishna also, "Krishna has gone.

And as soon as Radharani heard it She said, "Handi handi, kahin kadana madhusudhana."

Radharani said like that, this is the drama.

"Alas, alas! Where goes Madhusudhana, Krishna? Ooh!"

Krishna is there but She started crying, weeping, "0 where goes Madhusudhana? Why has that lotus-eyed Krishna left Me alone here in the forest of Vrndavana on the bank of the Yamuna? Why He does so? Alas!" And She started weeping, crying although Krishna is there. This is the very wonderful prema-vaicchitya-viraha. The lover and beloved are both there but they are feeling the pangs of separation, this is prema-vaicchitya. Then Krishna says, "Sarvani baja smitan karoti," and He drove them all out, Vrindadevi and Madhumangala and smiled. He just smiled and said, "Radhe Oh!"

Wonderful and Mysterious

This is the very wonderful prema-vaicchitya-viraha and it is in Vidagdha-madhava. Many instances are there. In Lalita-madhava you will find candravali-labhah and also another one, nava-vrndavana-sangamah. Also purnamanarathah, so many things are there in Lalita-madhava. And Rupapada has written about this prema-vaicchityaviraha, it means; though Radha and Krishna are there They are feeling the pangs of separation, for a short time. And that is only on special occasions, not always and not everywhere. That cannot be there in Vraja, but in Gauralila it is always there. The two opposite things are placed in one container, that is Gaura. Vipralambha and sambhoga. a very mysterious lila, the tattva of Gaura-lila. Otherwise you cannot find it anywhere else that these opposites are placed together.

Such wonderful lilas, very mysterious and inconceivable. This Gaura-tattva is a very deep and confidential tattva. It is the highest and very, very confidential. Therefore it is said to be the postgraduate study and only the students of that postgraduate class can understand, otherwise nobody can understand it. So this course is there, and two lectures are there every week. Anyone can come and hear, just hear but if he is not a student of that postgraduate class he cannot understand it. Anyway, sit and let it touch your ear then that is beneficial. The time will come that you can understand it, and in your heart you should cry for that,

kabe ha'be bolo se-dina amar.

"When will that auspicious day come in my life that I can understand this thing, so that I can relish it? I can become ecstatic, dance and roll and shed tears and be overwhelmed with that bhava, drowned and intoxicated."

You should feel like that, cry, cry ! Therefore we speak these things, just to put you in such a condition of crying.