IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Tirupati offerings

Rate this topic

Guest guest

haribol prabhus, anybody has any idea whether in the offerings 2 Lord Venkateshwara, do they use onions or garlic. Which sampradaya do they come under?

Also any classic examples of mode of goodnes, passion & ignorance. Thx. in advance. Ys. Ravi

There are ancient histories that confirm the detriments of consuming onions and garlic. Even so many claim that it kills parasites and other medicinal qualities, it is not good for yogis. Both are heavy tamasic and as it says even in the "The Yoga of Herbs" it is harmful to those who want to practice bhakti-yoga.

Srila Bhakti Raksaksa Sridhara Maharaja once told a story that after the demon Rahu was beheaded, where the blood fell, that is where onions and garlic appeared.

So, all Indians consider it non-vegetarian.

There are so many foods that are sattvic, the mode of goodness, and that means it is conducive for yoga.

Personally, I have seen many devotees get into garlic and gradually increased the consumption and simultaneously decreased their own practice of bhakti-yoga.

You just cant eat onions. No matter where you are, wether at friend's place or anywhere. Be strong and determined in your spiritual practices and depend on Krishna. Pleasing Krishna is what is important.. not maintaining relationships (and calling it advancement) at the cost of Krishna consciousness.

By refusing to eat onions and garlic you wont become a fanatic. Just dont stress on "no onion and no garlic" but tactfully avoid them. Avoid making a fuss about your not eating onions and just downplay the issue. Srila Prabhupada never gave concession in these matters.

Sadhana means to meticulously follow all the rules prescribed by the acharya for the conditioned souls for their advancement. So please dont concoct over eating onions and fall in a ditch. Even mayavadi organisations advice their followers not to eat onion and garlic.

Pl. dont misguide others. Keep quite if you dont know things.

Hare Krishna!

Tirupati temple does not use onion or garlic in its naivedyam offerings. Actually, no traditional Vishnu or Shiva temple uses onion or garlic in offerings as they are considered unclean. Some local village temples of ghosts, bhutas, devis, yakshas, etc., may use them as well as animal sacrifice and other unclean things. Lord Krishna says in the Gita that such worship is in the mode of ignorance and leads one downwards.

Namaste.

Taditionally, at tirupati the Sri Sampradayam is followed. They too are vaisnavas (e.g observe ekadasi and so forth), so yes...they do not use onion or garlic in food preparations. Traditionally, Baliji or Lord Venkateshwara loves ladhus. Other special preparations include dates, yoghurt rice, tamarind rice, and cudla (=chickpeas).

Guest guest

Haribol.

I am a uni student living at home with my parents.

Originally my grandparents followed Sri Sampradayam, but they were not initiated it. My parents follow Prabhupada's teachings and are initiated through Iskcon. We now live in New Zealand.

Nearly 30 years ago, my grandparents visited tirupati and purchased a balaji deity [ well before I was born]. However, they did not know proper standards of deity worship i.e how to perform arati and bathe diety.....So, deity has been passed down to my parents without properly being worshipped.

I have been able to learn aratis to say and sing from temple song book. Also have a method of bathing deity thanks to help from temple pujari.

BUT...now it is time for Puratassi prayers - where every saturday morning one does a special prayer for balaji between 17 September and 15 October. My family observes this....but we do not know what prayers or mantras should be said. Can anyone please help ???

( as I do not want to insult deity by not knowing how to worship, now that I have established some procedures at home)

Hare Krishna.